Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014)  (Read 41680 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 07:44:22 PM

Psycho.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 07:53:31 PM

So... he might not be the world's greatest detective... But, what is interstellar about? Corn subsidies and how large they are is my guess....

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:12 PM

After skimming the thread I guess this movie is about Batman in space?  Head scratch

Over and out.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:21 PM

Psycho.

Stop misusing it. Stop using it at all. You are not a funny guy.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 09:49:45 PM

Previous posts have established your sense of taste so I will take that as a compliment.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 01:41:55 AM

Like everyone else on the planet, I was disappointed by it.

but Spiderman 3 ?

SPIDERMAN 3 ?  With Venom and disco dancing and shitty hobgoblin and Sandman not being on his own ?  And MJ looking like the strung out cocaine addict that she was ?

Fuck sake.

Alfred is totally out of character for most of this movie. There is no way in hell Alfred would just leave Bruce like that.
Batman is rarely in the movie.
The fight choreography? Laughable.
Speaking of fights: Batman loses against Bane not because Bane is better but because Batman neglects to do anything Batman would do in that kind of fight. Stuff he is shown doing in the other two movies as well as other fights in this movie. He basically just sort of stumbles around like he is drunk and allows Bane to beat him up. No lead up, no explanation, just....Batman suddenly becoming a moron.
The magical knee brace? Really? He has no cartilage in his knee but this brace somehow makes him a bad ass.
Of course, he may become a bad ass, except when the plot says he doesn't but he also doesn't actually handle any of the problems in the movie. Talia? Killed by a car crash. Bane? Killed by Catwoman. The bomb? Flown away by the Batplane thingy on remote control.
Oh, and somebody really, really needed to remind Christopher Nolan of the adage "Show, don't Tell." This movie was all telll very little show.
Oh and every single plot point was heavily, heavily telegraphed. In fact, most of the time you're just flat out told about plot points well before they happen. See: The cafe scene at the end.
Catwoman? Handled very, very poorly. Don't even get me started on how they messed that character up.
Bane? There is a reason people make internet videos where they play games using his voice. It is so over the top and silly.
Let's talk some more about the horrible prison by the way. Where nobody bothers Bruce and he has a man to help heal him. Oh, and a nice, big TV.

The only part of the movie that was close to good was the brief appearance by Scarecrow when he was holding his trials. The cinematography and music were also good. The script though? Horrible. The direction? Decent but it felt like his heart wasn't in it. I think that was the biggest problem with the movie, Nolan had quite after the Dark Knight and had nothing in the tank for this movie.

Yes.  I won't disagree with that.

BUT SPIDERMAN 3 Huh?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 08:39:23 AM

Stay on target.

In fairness, there's nothing to say about Interstellar really. We don't know anything except the very brief summary and who is in it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 10:57:47 AM

In fairness, there's nothing to say about Interstellar really. We don't know anything except the very brief summary and who is in it.

Come on, its pretty obvious from the teaser that this is a movie about the military-industrial complex subjugating the lower end of the economic class in order to further it's agenda of gobal dominance into space.

- Viin
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:30 PM

It's about a sudden discovery of a rip in space-time (and how to use it), allowing Interstellar travel to take place in the first place; which re-awakens the spirit of exploration in mankind.  What the hell more do you guys need to know? 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 12:40:35 PM

The release date?

beer geek.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 01:23:39 PM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:20 PM

Oh, so it's releasing the entirety of November? Interesting marketing concept! That's a really long movie!

beer geek.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 02:03:24 PM

Oh, so it's releasing the entirety of November? Interesting marketing concept! That's a really long movie!

Was just trying to be helpful, you pipe-smoking baby! How could I know you need to know the exact day of release for a film thats another year in the future. (Which will vary on where you live anyway, complicating the question).

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 02:06:45 PM

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 02:17:21 PM

I'm SOLD on the movie. I was just making a joke in response to Ghambit saying,"What the hell more do you guys need to know?"

beer geek.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 12:08:30 PM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:02 PM

Here's to hoping there's not 2-hours of lead-in before they actually get to the wormhole.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:12 PM

The alien is his father.

Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 16, 2014, 03:59:09 PM

The alien is his father.

Will the alien be played by Jodie Foster?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 16, 2014, 04:14:41 PM

Lemme predict it right here:
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 04:32:29 PM

Why do I fear that it will turn into

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 06:07:42 PM

I was disappointed at the happy ending of the prestige too.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 06:22:34 PM

Man, grump grump grump. I like it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 17, 2014, 09:35:38 AM

That trailer looks pretty good so I'm cautiously optimistic. I know Nolan is robot Jesus to some people but for about half of his movies I find the trailer better than the actual movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 17, 2014, 11:12:13 PM

Actually, had they found a 2-way wormhole, it's likely it would be a closed spacetime loop.  Therefore, the astronauts would be in stasis for the journey to the wormhole, through it, and likely travel once on the other side... glean whatever info. they could, go back into stasis for the ride home, and get back the moment they left.  To them they could've traveled for 100's if not 1000's of years though.  Anyways, they could then share their findings with the world (maybe some aliens taught them something or perhaps they found a viable new home planet).

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:32 PM

So this trailer is hella better than the last one, but there's an Oblivion vibe to it.

And you know what? If it has a saccharin ending where he returns to his kids, even if they're older as that one scene implies, I'm fine with that. I've been a sucker for happy endings since even before I had kids of my own. Emos gotta emo, but they can do that shit in the independent scene. Give me my popcorn flicks goddamit!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:36 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:28 PM

I think you meant to post this.

Looks much better than the other trailers I've seen.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 30, 2014, 05:42:10 PM

Yeah, that looks pretty cool. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:18 PM

I get the feeling he won't be returning in his own time and the messages sent through space will be the future generations of his family as the long search continues.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:57 PM

That would certainly be a common trope of this sort of story. I'm content to wait and see this film. Some films really are not improved by trying to outthink them months before you see them.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: July 30, 2014, 06:35:25 PM

Seems like it gave too much away?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #67 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:49 PM

I have a feeling they're gonna get to Planet X and find it uninhabitable.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:42 AM

I'm thinking there will be multiple planets. Also looks like in at least one case an alien artifact.

It would be nice if it opened up a discussion about the moral proposition that we have to survive, or ought to survive (trailer makes me think it might). I get a bit itchy when I read all the "we have to get off this planet--colonize Mars or make habitats or whatever" folks, who often overlap with certain flavors of libertarianism. If we can't figure out how to cope with being ON this planet, I'm not sure going to another one solves much of anything. Certainly going to a place with a much more marginal, precarious environment (like Mars) will take discipline and control that we've yet to demonstrate on Earth.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:50 PM

It's a backwards-looking ideal that remembers colonization.

Antarctica is a nicer place to live than Mars. The Sahara is a nicer place to live than Mars. Giant rafts in the middle of the sea are a nicer place to live than Mars. It's easier to grow food in any of those places than on Mars. Easier to ship food there if you can't grow it. Easier to move there. Easier to move away.

Back in the day the ships to the colonies found air, a water table, occasionally habitable temperatures, native plants and animals. Mars has none of these things.

Mars is also the second-most liveable planet we've got within twenty trillion miles. Humans have, in the past, traveled almost one ten millionth that far. It cost them a substantial chunk of the resources of what will be remembered as the wealthiest, most powerful nation in history.

Crowded, plagued by mass extinction, choked with pollution... future Earth is still a more pleasant, less expensive place to live than anywhere we are ever likely to travel. The more crowded and choked it gets, the less likely we'll be able to go looking.

If you want to terraform a planet, start with this one.

Looks like a good movie, tho. I'll go see it at the discount theater.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014)  
Jump to: