Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending  (Read 14104 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:36 PM

There is no six hour version of Dune.  It's a very popular myth though.  

Lynch shot about five hours of film (which is where the myth probably comes from), but that's not five hours of actual content.  It's five hours of film because scenes were reshot, etc.  Lynch intended for a three hour version to be created originally, but to please De Laurentiis instead created a cut that was a little over two hours long.  A three hour version was later put together and broadcast on television, which Lynch completely disowns, and his name doesn't even appear in the credits.  If you're curious about the different versions IMDB has a pretty exhaustive page on it here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/alternateversions
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:19:56 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 01:02:59 PM

I'm pretty sure people are just thinking of the mini series.  Although that was what 4-5 hours total? 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 21, 2015, 05:01:27 AM

Saw this last night.  It was mediocre entertainment.  Some of the SFX were quite good where others seemed blurry to me.  Probably didn't help that I was hammered and they kept the theater at 1,000 degrees!  The two leads were meh and there was no growth in the  characters.  My friend complained that there was too much going on sometimes and I agreed.  What good is your sfx when you whooosh them past me until it's all a blur?  The giant ships were really well done however and the grav boots were a good effect.

The three of us independently compared it to Flash Gordon, all it needed was a soundtrack by Queen and Brian Blessed screaming "DIVE!"  It wasn't as overtly cheesy as FG, but JV is an easy movie to mock.  It felt very much like a disco era sci fi film.

John Carter and Speed Racer are better films than this.  Haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet. 

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 22, 2015, 01:27:42 PM

I'm pretty sure people are just thinking of the mini series.  Although that was what 4-5 hours total?  

Dammit no.  I was just referring to the original stock footage (which was 6hrs.)  The TV version is a 3+ hr ordeal with commercials.  The theatrical is shorter still.  
Which mini-series is everyone even talking about??  Dune or Children of Dune??

I'm about to fire up Jodorowsky's Dune Documentary (it got rave reviews).  Just came out last year.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:31:16 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #74 on: February 22, 2015, 01:51:08 PM

It's pretty fascinating, especially if you are really familiar with the source material.  I want one of those storyboard books, they should publish it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending  
Jump to: