Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending  (Read 14105 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 08:34:54 PM

She was fine in Ted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Book of Eli (not saying it was a good movie).  She definitely is better at more comedic roles though. 

I disagree. You could replace her with just about any vaguely-ethnic woman of similar age from the Hollywood pool and improve all those movies.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56:42 PM

Oz: The Great and Powerful was terrible all around. She was good in Book of Eli and it was a good movie.

This however, looks terrible. Pretty but terrible.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:08 PM

This kind of movie is why Netflix is fantastic.  At some point in the future we'll be sitting on the couch looking for something to watch and then we'll be like, oh yeah, i remember that thing, turn it on.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 11:48:50 PM

I saw the trailer in the theater, and it looks visually stunning.  I will probably want to watch it (at home) for that reason alone. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:05 AM

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 10:25:01 AM

Previews and trailers did that for me. I saw nothing of value in anything I have seen. And I actually enjoyed John Carter.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 02:55:15 PM

One of my favourite movies ever is The Fifth Element so maybe this will be similar.  That's probably a mind shattering hope that I should not go into the movie with right?

Edit:  I actually had to tell my very smart friend in the theatre that it was clearly tongue in cheek when we went to see The Fifth Element and those hilarious police uniforms made an appearance.  He didn't seem to "get it".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:56:58 PM by Miasma »
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:20 PM

I'm not sure that the Wachowskis actually do "tongue in cheek".

Their over-the-top sensibilities are entirely sincere.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 08:23:10 PM

After watching it I would put it at about %25 as good as The Fifth Element, which for me still makes it an okay movie but barely.

Also:
I'm not sure that the Wachowskis actually do "tongue in cheek".

Their over-the-top sensibilities are entirely sincere.
It had some humour and seemed to make references to lots of other sci-fi movies but it was mostly serious.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:11 PM

This was a very dumb movie, but there was enough eye candy to distract me. I did like the apparent "action" of the grav boots though, and whomever animated those scenes kept it up.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 06:06:07 AM

In related news, a girl at my Whole Foods is exactly like Mila Kunis crossed with Meg from Famliy Guy. She even has Meg's hat! Her voice is also almost identical. It's really weird.

I have the feeling that when I'm an old man looking back on Mila Kunis's career the only two things of note will be doing the voice work for Meg and that time she chewed out that Russian Reporter in Russian.

And I actually enjoyed John Carter.
I thought John Carter was a good movie, I enjoyed watching it. The only Real complaint I had with it was toning it down to get a PG rating. Dejah Thoris had on wayyyyyyyy to many clothes. The setting is only about 1.7 smut levels below Gor and it's a genre that works best when it sticks with it's spirit. A Conan movie where all the women wear burkas is no Conan movie at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:11:43 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:31 AM

Just saw it.  John Carter was way better sci-fi than this thing.  Really, it did indeed suffer drastically with Kunis and Tatum as leads.  Other than that, I thought it was okay save for the fact it was trying to be Dune in 1.5 less hours of movietime.  Not possible to do.

Also, it's a love story... again.  So yah. swamp poop   Another missed opportunity in an otherwise awesome world.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 12:31:01 AM

JA is only 10 minutes shorter than Dune unless you are referring to the Alan Smithee version that shouldn't exist.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 10:41:25 PM

So yeah, fuck this movie. Fuck it, fuck ironic watching it, fuck 'it's so bad it's good,' fuck the wachowskis. I have caught a bit of the hates over this movie because it was a roundly rough last couple of days and I needed a good distraction, but even if I put it aside, this movie really does need to cop some scorn. I'm sure many people have been noticing the Wachowskis were terminally declining slash one hit wonders crumpling after their initial hit, but it's a bit further in this case — their heads grew in relation to how shit their story-building got. They seem to have gotten so bizarre and so wrapped up in things which increasingly make sense only to them that they are no longer effective storytellers and their works are unintentionally absurdist and stymied by dull, bad and contrived writing.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:07 AM

This might be the first thing I've seen Sean Bean in where he doesn't die.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 10:08:19 AM

He didn't die in the first Silent Hill!  (Never saw the second, so I don't know.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 10:26:01 AM

I keep telling people that.  Silent Hill was a great film.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:38 PM

It was terrible.  Did you see what they did to the cop? Cry

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 01:25:15 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 01:59:17 AM

I keep telling people that.  Silent Hill was a great film.

I enjoyed Silent Hill quite a bit and have no idea why it got the hate it did. It struck me as a sort of modern Clive Barker lite, which is a fine thing in my book.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:10 AM

Strong women in a horror movie rubs people up the wrong way.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 06:55:41 AM

Horror is one genre where you'd find the most strong women I'd say.  I always thought silent hill didn't get marketed well and if you knew nothing of the games it was just an ok movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:21 AM

I think knowledge of the games is irrelevant to the movie.

Disclaimer :  Never played any Silent Hill Games.

Also, Sluts Get Chopped Up, so I disagree with you.  I get what you're trying to say, but I think just 'cause you can think of some off the top of your head it doesn't make it true for the genre.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:09 AM

I like Silent Hill, I just thought the ending in the church kind of ruined the movie. Other than that, it was really stylish and creepy.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:58 PM

Also, Sluts Get Chopped Up, so I disagree with you.  I get what you're trying to say, but I think just 'cause you can think of some off the top of your head it doesn't make it true for the genre.

The Slut/Party Girl dies by half way through the movie, usually around the same time as the Jock/Meathead.  The Final Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalGirl) survives till the end and comes out on top...  and it is really, really common in slasher/horror movies.  Most modern horror movies are based on either Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis survives) or on Alien (Sigourney Weaver survives), and most modern horror movies generally just take the formula that worked in either of those two movies and make slight changes.

Surprisingly, slasher movies like to twist popular tropes around...  such as the male love interest of the Final Girl being kind of useless and used as a damsel in distress.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 02:50:56 AM

That's not really what I'm talking about though.  In Slasher/Horror movies 'Survives' is pretty much the only qualification for 'strong' and that's really, really lame.  In these movies, they usually only survive by dint of being the last one killed and usually by avoiding 'the Scream rules'.  For example, I'd say a common trait in a strong woman is one in charge of her own sexuality, but the FinalGirl is usually one who has specifically avoided that.  Sluts, as I said, get chopped up.  Alien is a good exception to the rule and makes your point, alas for me, since Ripley is a very good example through all 3 movies of a strong woman completely in touch with who she is.  I'd argue against Jamie Lee, if I remotely gave a fuck that is.

Silent Hill had both the good guys and the bad guys and the middle guys ALL being women and ALL of them were quite clearly defined and stuck to their own viewpoints utterly irrespective of any male presence.  Indeed, Sean Bean and Burned Hands Cop meander around aimlessly, utterly, utterly powerless throughout the entire fucking movie.  Even at the end, when both surviving women are in a house entirely without a bloke, they are completely comfortable and at peace with it.

As you would be, cause it's Sean Fucking Bean.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 10:15:51 AM

That's not really what I'm talking about though.  In Slasher/Horror movies 'Survives' is pretty much the only qualification for 'strong' and that's really, really lame.  In these movies, they usually only survive by dint of being the last one killed and usually by avoiding 'the Scream rules'.  For example, I'd say a common trait in a strong woman is one in charge of her own sexuality, but the FinalGirl is usually one who has specifically avoided that.  Sluts, as I said, get chopped up.  Alien is a good exception to the rule and makes your point, alas for me, since Ripley is a very good example through all 3 movies of a strong woman completely in touch with who she is.  I'd argue against Jamie Lee, if I remotely gave a fuck that is.

Survives is the qualification because so many horror/slasher villains don't stay dead.  Plenty of Final Girls actually kill the monster.

Too much is also made of the "rules".  More often than sexuality, the Final Girl is the Final Girl because she is responsible/competent... its just that film short-hand for irresponsible is going off to have an underage party in the woods or sneak out to see the boyfriend instead of look after your sick sibling/parent or babysit or whatever.  And plenty of Final Girls don't have their sexuality mentioned at all, or promptly start a sexual relationship with the surviving male love interest if any.

A better critique I read once is that Final Girls are masculinized.  No male relationship, have gender neutral names or nicknames (Sidney in Scream, Ripley in Alien), etc. and that it is only through denying or moving away from their femininity that they win.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:24 AM

This is really bad and boring. I watched it in 2D what probably saved me from vomiting after first 10 minutes of fights. Most of the alien species is portrayed like in low-budget sci-fi (big ears, elephant-face). One good thing are beautiful ships models.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 12:46:31 AM

JA is only 10 minutes shorter than Dune unless you are referring to the Alan Smithee version that shouldn't exist.

The Dune I've seen was the extended version (the ones they show on TV).  W/o commercials it's 176 mins long.  The original Dune was 6+hrs of film.  But yah, typically it's seen in about the same time as JA.  So you're right.  Nevertheless, Dune feels epic... JA does not.  Both movies required more time than given, but JA even moreso.

As said before, the difference in quality of cast between the two movies is glaring.  Redmayne holds the whole movie on his shoulders really.  I thought he was amazing in JA, and really wanted to see more of him.  Matter of fact, they should've made HIM the legionnaire and Tatum should've been, I dunno, the bellhop or something.  Redmayne's sister should've been Kunis' role, and Kunis should've been, I dunno, a lady in waiting or something.

Other cool parts that dont get enough screentime; the merc group led by the Pacific Rim chic.  Everyone loves her.  Her crew was cool as shit here.  They were underused.  Nice to see the girl from WingCommander in charge of a cap ship too (if that's indeed her). 

If you took the cool parts of the movie, lengthened and properly wrote them, and replaced the leads with the oscar-worthy supporting roles.... you'd have a hit.  The fact the Wachowskis fucked this up really shows how bad they are.  Recall, they stole the Matrix story... wasn't even theirs.  Before that, their only real tangible credit was penning Ectokid.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 05:48:46 AM

Are you talking about this Dune?  Cause I loved that film, but I have never even heard of a 6 hour version of the film.  The special edition only lists a run time of 190 min, which is still almost 3 hours off that runtime.  Any idea where one would find the full 6 hour version?   You sure you are not thinking  of one of the later mini-serieses?

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:45:11 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:08 AM

Maybe he meant filmed ?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 06:46:48 AM

Sometimes interaction with the chronically delusional is fun, right?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 08:51:53 AM

I like Silent Hill, I just thought the ending in the church kind of ruined the movie. Other than that, it was really stylish and creepy.
Silent hill was a really good movie, I liked the ending though.

Avoid Silent Hill 2, it will ruin the first movie for you by shitting up the premise. A lot like Matrix 2 and 3, but even worse in some ways.

He didn't die in the first Silent Hill!  (Never saw the second, so I don't know.)

I forget if he did or not, but I think he didn't. It was also revealed that he wasn't the girl's foster father but an undercover, secret guardian from a secret organization who's job is to keep her safe from a different secret organization, The Order.

Also, Dune: Never was a 6 hour director's cut, the "director's cut" was the version shown in theaters. The Alan Smithee version was the one shown on TV. It was chopped up to remove about 60 minutes, new scenes filmed, re-edited, some stuff voiced over, etc all done by the De Laurentiis family.

The two recent miniseries are fucking excellent. If you haven't seen them you should do it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:07:11 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:09 AM

I liked the ending too. I didn't know they made a Silent Hill 2.  Odd.

He didn't die.  He ended up sitting in an empty house.  Much like House.  Except without any patients.  Or Vicodan.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 10:28:14 AM

That's what was creepy about it.  The mom and daughter were right there, yet still in Silent Hill.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending  
Jump to: