Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending  (Read 14103 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: December 09, 2013, 08:09:28 PM

Wachowski duo's latest due out in July:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCyL_Pqzu8&noredirect=1

Definitely some cool stuff in there but their recent track record is a bit sketchy.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:29 PM

lol, space elves.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:45 PM

Actually a human-wolf hybrid which is either less dumb or more dumb I suppose.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:26 PM

Did I also catch some sort of vampire vibe off the bad guy? I was wrong, space twilight is much worse.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:03:42 PM

If it weren't for d-bag stripper guy being in this I'd be an instant fanboy.  Also, Mila Kunis??  Really?  As a space princess? Fail.   I just... who the fuck does the castings for these films?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:10 PM

Was apparently supposed to be Portman but she dropped out.

-H.L. Mencken
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:19:33 PM

Did I also catch some sort of vampire vibe off the bad guy? I was wrong, space twilight is much worse.

The bad dude reminded me almost perfectly of a Goa'uld from Stargate.

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:28:19 PM

This doesn't really look very good but I'm curious, what exactly is wrong with Mila Kunis as a space princess?

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:03 PM

I dunno. I think she's out of this world myself. why so serious?

beer geek.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:17 PM

To quote one of the comments from io9,

My Battlefield Earth sense is tingling.

Still, it certainly looks pretty.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:44 AM

Saying this reminds them of Battlefield Earth is straight up cynical (insert "where are we posting again") bullshit.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:42 AM

I'm not entirely sure I know what the fuck I just watched.  Head scratch

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:55 PM

Good.  I thought it was just me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:29 PM

This doesn't really look very good but I'm curious, what exactly is wrong with Mila Kunis as a space princess?

She's annoying (does she have any other voice besides the valley-girl 70's show one)?  Cant act?  Only that.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Movies like this need up-and-comers, not next-gen b-listers only there to make the poster look good.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:47 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

Doesn't look entertaining to me, other than to see how quickly/ violently Sean Bean dies.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:14 PM

... and Sean Bean doesn't make a very good "Han Solo" either

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 08:02:35 PM

... and Sean Bean doesn't make a very good "Han Solo" either

Don't worry. The character will die in the first 20-30 minutes. It IS Sean Bean after all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 11:33:18 PM

Ok, this delayed/dumped film is finally coming out this weekend. I may have to see it just to witness the glorious train wreck with these influences (from AV Club review, which actually said it was decent, running against the grain of most reviewers):

What’s sort of remarkable is the way the Wachowskis manage to digest all of their high- and low-brow influences into something like a cohesive worldview. These influences include, but are not limited to: Moebius; David Lynch’s Dune; entry-level critiques of capitalism; the 1980 Flash Gordon movie; Brazil, which gets both a dialogue reference (“27b-stroke-6”) and a Terry Gilliam cameo

-H.L. Mencken
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 12:16:49 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be a similar situation as was with Tron.  Amazing movie, deceptively deep, yet poorly reviewed/watched.  It is indeed a bit of a kitchen sink movie, akin to Cloud Atlas, but there's a niche crowd in there that appreciates that.  We'll see. 

Either way, I'm gonna geek out this weekend on sci-fi and fantasy (7th Son).

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08:10 AM

Do you mean the new Tron or the old Tron ?

Just want to know before I leap down your throat.

(Why, yes, I have aged.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:27 AM

Either way, I'm gonna geek out this weekend on sci-fi and fantasy (7th Son).

Jesus, did you lose a bet or something?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 09:22:01 AM

I want to see them both, too. 7th looks dreadful but fun in a campy way and Jupiter looks like it could have potential and would be worth it just for the visuals. Ab's AV review gives me even more hope.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:06 AM

7th son was also delayed for years wasn't it?

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 09:34:16 AM

The teen horror/fantasy books that 7th son are based on are totally awesome, btw.  This movie looks to have nothing to do with the books in any way, it doesn't look anything like what is portrayed in the books.

The books are the The Last Apprentice in the states, The Spook's Apprentice in most other regions.

This Jupiter Ascending movie looks pretty, so I'll see it on Netflix or something.  Not expecting a lot though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:15 PM

I actually liked Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer in quite a few ways, against the common sentiment, so I'm willing to give the Wachowskis yet another whirl.

Most of the space operas I actually like would look pretty fucking crazy if they were filmed with any serious intent of translating them to the screen, so I'm not sure why even on SF-favoring sites a lot of folks are going "lol weird looking shit will be dumb".
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 04:51:12 PM

Do you mean the new Tron or the old Tron ?

Just want to know before I leap down your throat.

(Why, yes, I have aged.)

New Tron.  Was a much better movie than was credited... and a lot more artistic than at first glance.
Like Cloud Atlas however, JA is miscast.  I just cant get into the leads they chose for either of the movies.  The Wachowskis have made mistakes in this arena.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:08:45 PM by Ghambit »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:47 PM

Yeah, I think that's one of their real weak spots at times.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:45 PM

They showed this at Sundance and the hipster crowd sneered and scoffed through the whole movie.  They couldn't even fill the theater for the showing.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 06:31:13 PM

I can't get past Mila Kunis either. She needs the right role and I don't think this is it. I watched part of Oz: The Great and Powerful and she was awful in it.

In related news, a girl at my Whole Foods is exactly like Mila Kunis crossed with Meg from Famliy Guy. She even has Meg's hat! Her voice is also almost identical. It's really weird.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 06:33:49 PM

TBH Mila Kunis has been terrible in everything I've seen her in. (No, I haven't seen Black Swan. Will it change my opinion? Dunno.)

I often feel like the only reason she resonated on 70s was that she was playing herself. A whiny, manipulative teenager who gets high a lot.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:27 PM

She was fine in Ted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Book of Eli (not saying it was a good movie).  She definitely is better at more comedic roles though. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 07:26:25 PM

TBH Mila Kunis has been terrible in everything I've seen her in. (No, I haven't seen Black Swan. Will it change my opinion? Dunno.)

I often feel like the only reason she resonated on 70s was that she was playing herself. A whiny, manipulative teenager who gets high a lot.

Unlikely, Black Swan is just pretty crap all round.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 07:30:50 PM

How can you forget American Psycho 2?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 07:59:43 PM

Because it wasn't American Psycho I?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 08:16:14 PM

Rimshot

Well played.

Also, does not surprise me the Sundance crowd would snicker and sneer at a movie who's leads are essentially "Jackie" and "Magic Mike."  I'll still go see it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jupiter Ascending  
Jump to: