Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: No Man's Sky 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 115229 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #595 on: August 27, 2016, 11:31:20 PM

Make it clear in the refund reason that they falsely advertised the game and that you're gonna love to see a class action lawsuit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #596 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:52 AM

Because we all want this game.

And we all know Star Citizen is a con.

No Man's Sky got closer than anyone has.
And everyone is doing their damnedest to make sure nobody tries to make another game like this for a looong time. Keep getting those refunds, especially if you played it a long time. I'm sure no suits are taking notes. I'm sure this will in no way set a horrible precedent for future releases because every game is exactly as advertised on release.

Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying the game. *shrug* And I will keep my money where my mouth is. I want more, better, games like this in the future. So I support people making them, even if it's imperfect (and still a fun game).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: August 28, 2016, 01:19:05 AM

The suits are not very rational if they conclude that the reason for this drama is that it's a space game, and not developer dishonesty.

I'm not going to ask for a refund either, I'd feel like an idiot for getting one already and then coming back for seconds. Instead I'll just happily be an idiot and play this trainwreck some more.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:20:38 AM by jakonovski »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: August 28, 2016, 04:57:45 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't ask for a refund. I got my money's worth. Just sad that the things that I realistically think could have been done to improve the game weren't done.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #599 on: August 28, 2016, 07:40:48 AM

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:57 AM

And everyone is doing their damnedest to make sure nobody tries to make another game like this for a looong time. Keep getting those refunds, especially if you played it a long time. I'm sure no suits are taking notes. I'm sure this will in no way set a horrible precedent for future releases because every game is exactly as advertised on release.

Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying the game. *shrug* And I will keep my money where my mouth is. I want more, better, games like this in the future. So I support people making them, even if it's imperfect (and still a fun game).
I really hope nobody makes another game like this: an indie early access title with a AAA price tag that's overhyped and underdelivered.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: August 28, 2016, 08:54:43 AM

The worst thing is how good the frame of this game is. Everything that was promised is easily doable and then some.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: August 28, 2016, 09:02:35 AM

I'm sure this will in no way set a horrible precedent for future releases because every game is exactly as advertised on release.

You don't have a grip on reality.

The fallout this game is getting is similar to Alien Colonial Marines. Randy Pitchford deserved the lawsuit he received and lost from the EU.

Ubisoft got smacked around for their advertising about graphics for Watch Dogs but never had to deal with a lawsuit.

The big difference is the extent of the lies and how much they matter. Ubisoft continues making the same type of games while Pitchford and now Hello Games are learning their lessons and not going back to that level of malicious stupidity again.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:28 AM

And thats the way it should be. Gamers shouldnt have to bend over and take it in the ass, cause of dreams.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: August 28, 2016, 10:40:41 AM

malicious stupidity
bend over and take it in the ass
This is the mentality that made me enjoy Murray's trolling during the hype train. It's like he raped your daughter or something, when all he did was make a game. You didn't even have to wait until release to see it streamed and see exactly what it was. You have nobody but yourselves to blame for anything. Stop blaming Murray, stop blaming the industry, stop the dramatic rhetoric of hate and take some personal responsibility for your actions and gain at least a modicum of self-control.

This is f13, for fuck's sake, you can't get away with 'this game sucked at launch and I wasn't informed!' If you're a member here, I think you should lose your privilege of buying a game without waiting to hear whether it's good or not. Several of us bought it as a pre-order, you know you would hear the straight dope one way or another if both schild and I buy a game, as we're about as opposite on the spectrum of gaming as you can get. When did f13 turn into a bunch of whiny, self-entitled man-babies who made the age-old mistake of buying into a stupid hype train?

Holy shit, guys. It's a game that only cost the price of a fucking decent dinner. You got your refunds, now go play the next insipid entry into whatever mega AAA series was just shoved down your throat with a spoonfull of sugar, if that's what we've become.

While I am definitely enjoying the game, I'm also really, really enjoying the tears of clowns.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #605 on: August 28, 2016, 10:50:49 AM

Your beret is showing, Sky.

Yes, some of the hate is over the top and anyone who asked for a refund after 20+ hours in the game should probably be shot out of a cannon. But seriously, come on - the amount of straight up blatant bullshit spun about this product is pretty bad. The level of hate may not be justified, but the actual reasons for the hate are valid. Developer says thing will do this and not only does it not do it, it takes great pains to obfuscate that this is not being done. It's very much an early access, indie-level game that is charging about 3x what it should be.

Which is why I did not buy it or pre-order it. I'm all for indie development but execution is way more important than "indie street cred."

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: August 28, 2016, 11:18:43 AM

I asked for a steam refund. I think that is okay because I still have a ps4 copy. The game barely ran on my computer.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #607 on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:16 AM

malicious stupidity
This is the mentality that made me enjoy Murray's trolling during the hype train. It's like he raped your daughter or something, when all he did was make a game. You didn't even have to wait until release to see it streamed and see exactly what it was. You have nobody but yourselves to blame for anything. Stop blaming Murray, stop blaming the industry, stop the dramatic rhetoric of hate and take some personal responsibility for your actions and gain at least a modicum of self-control.

This is f13, for fuck's sake, you can't get away with 'this game sucked at launch and I wasn't informed!' If you're a member here, I think you should lose your privilege of buying a game without waiting to hear whether it's good or not. Several of us bought it as a pre-order, you know you would hear the straight dope one way or another if both schild and I buy a game, as we're about as opposite on the spectrum of gaming as you can get. When did f13 turn into a bunch of whiny, self-entitled man-babies who made the age-old mistake of buying into a stupid hype train?

Holy shit, guys. It's a game that only cost the price of a fucking decent dinner. You got your refunds, now go play the next insipid entry into whatever mega AAA series was just shoved down your throat with a spoonfull of sugar, if that's what we've become.

While I am definitely enjoying the game, I'm also really, really enjoying the tears of clowns.
The straight dope?

No Man's Sky was a hollow piece of shit tech demo that was built on lies.

They've created the idea of a game but not an actual game.

The fact you're enjoying it shows what a low bar is required to please you with a sci-fi game.

If I'd played 100 hours I still would've demanded a refund just to stick it to Murray's stupid face.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: August 28, 2016, 01:56:03 PM

This is one of the reasons I had to play the game myself. It even gets f13 all hot and bothered.

But I know I'm also an easy mark for scifi shit just like Sky.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: August 28, 2016, 02:16:47 PM

It's very much an early access, indie-level game that is charging about 3x what it should be.

Not even that. The long dark for instance, at that level and still promises a story and an ending. This is the thing that pisses me off more than anything after my 20+ hours of playtime I still expected, naievely perhaps, to see a story develop.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: August 28, 2016, 02:36:57 PM

I agree that if you've got like 25-50 hours, or more, play time out of this then asking for a refund is a dick move.  However, some of the technical issues made it so you had to fiddle around with the game for more than 2 hours to get it work and once you left the 1st planet, many people discovered NMS was not as advertised.  The developer has clearly been shown to have, at the very least, mislead consumers as to what they can actually do in game.  How would you feel if that brand new Volkswagen you bought was advertised to have a certain level of emissions when in reality it didn't and the company deliberately mislead and lied to you about it?  There is no difference between an "indie" game company lying to its customers and a major auto maker.  None.  Get it now?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:40:24 PM by Ginaz »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #611 on: August 28, 2016, 03:27:34 PM

And everyone is doing their damnedest to make sure nobody tries to make another game like this for a looong time.

nope

if these devs are worth a shit they're watching this event and they're thinking 'jesus, gamers are so fucking hungry for the new space sim experience they've wanted for so long that they line up to buy this shit and help hype it into the stratosphere'

like we now have ample proof that the hunger is real and the void is present, a genre desperately seeking fulfillment, dollars first
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: August 28, 2016, 03:43:25 PM

I agree that if you've got like 25-50 hours, or more, play time out of this then asking for a refund is a dick move.  However, some of the technical issues made it so you had to fiddle around with the game for more than 2 hours to get it work and once you left the 1st planet, many people discovered NMS was not as advertised.  The developer has clearly been shown to have, at the very least, mislead consumers as to what they can actually do in game.  How would you feel if that brand new Volkswagen you bought was advertised to have a certain level of emissions when in reality it didn't and the company deliberately mislead and lied to you about it?  There is no difference between an "indie" game company lying to its customers and a major auto maker.  None.  Get it now?
You are comparing a presentation of a game months before launch with data specs on a car when you buy it, its not an appropriate comparison. However, it would be healthy if people viewed game developer doing a presentation of their upcoming game in the same way they view someone that's selling them a used car, trust your eyes more than your ears.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: August 28, 2016, 03:51:15 PM

The straight dope?

See, there you go. If you align along schild's tastes and didn't wait to hear that and bought into the hype, you deserve what you got. And for the record, I find that a valid review from that perspective (which is why the whole white knight thing is funny, btw).

I admit my tastes are weird and I'm ok with that, if you align with my weird tastes you may enjoy it. I'm recommending people wait for a steam sale, like I do for 99% of games, and I like it. So still, if you had waited for an f13 verdict (knowing we had preorders in), you could've avoided disappointment or at least waited for a deal.

Nope. You stupid fucks believed video game hype. I like the game and didn't believe the hype, and said so before every watching gameplay footage.

I have zero pity and find the whining hilarious. Devs can say their new game will shit rainbows and cure cancer, who gives a shit? What next, outrage when game journalists don't stand up to journalistic standards? This isn't about whether NMS is good or bad, you can blame it on Murray et al all you want, but at the end of the day, you should know better. Shame on you all.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: August 28, 2016, 03:54:06 PM

You are comparing a presentation of a game months before launch with data specs on a car when you buy it, its not an appropriate comparison. However, it would be healthy if people viewed game developer doing a presentation of their upcoming game in the same way they view someone that's selling them a used car, trust your eyes more than your ears.

"Will it have multiplayer?"
"Yes"

Look I get that maybe 15 years ago some clueless sales guy might confuse the concept of multiplayer but you do not get to use that excuse today.  The dude flat out lied about his game both in interviews and visually with demo shit that's not even in the game.    There is no way consumers can be "Savvy" about a product when they are lied to every step of the way about it.  Sure you can opt out of preordering but everything has to have first adopters and those people ahould rightfully be upset.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #615 on: August 28, 2016, 03:54:43 PM

And everyone is doing their damnedest to make sure nobody tries to make another game like this for a looong time.

nope

if these devs are worth a shit they're watching this event and they're thinking 'jesus, gamers are so fucking hungry for the new space sim experience they've wanted for so long that they line up to buy this shit and help hype it into the stratosphere'

like we now have ample proof that the hunger is real and the void is present, a genre desperately seeking fulfillment, dollars first

Likewise they will also be looking at this thinking they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I'm sure all the stuff Murray talked about was supposed to be there but all the sudden they have deadlines and pressure coming to release the game and more pressure after delays. Development of a game gamers are yearning for seems like a worthy goal till you realize the more hype it gets, the more those goalposts move into fantasy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #616 on: August 28, 2016, 04:35:32 PM

The straight dope?

See, there you go. If you align along schild's tastes and didn't wait to hear that and bought into the hype, you deserve what you got. And for the record, I find that a valid review from that perspective (which is why the whole white knight thing is funny, btw).

I admit my tastes are weird and I'm ok with that, if you align with my weird tastes you may enjoy it. I'm recommending people wait for a steam sale, like I do for 99% of games, and I like it. So still, if you had waited for an f13 verdict (knowing we had preorders in), you could've avoided disappointment or at least waited for a deal.

Nope. You stupid fucks believed video game hype. I like the game and didn't believe the hype, and said so before every watching gameplay footage.

I have zero pity and find the whining hilarious. Devs can say their new game will shit rainbows and cure cancer, who gives a shit? What next, outrage when game journalists don't stand up to journalistic standards? This isn't about whether NMS is good or bad, you can blame it on Murray et al all you want, but at the end of the day, you should know better. Shame on you all.
I didn't buy into the hype. It's just a bland experience with no game. I didn't even know half the hype until after I played it. I had a press blackout on it because I wanted to go in mostly blind.
lesion

Reply #617 on: August 28, 2016, 05:40:58 PM

I wasn't on the hype train but I was expecting a sweet exploration game. I got an over-normalized turd for the price of three. My bad entirely, but it's still a shitty game and wah wah fart.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #618 on: August 28, 2016, 05:44:35 PM

man i legitimately don't know where you're trying to come from on this one. your position grates close to "if they con you into buying a game through misrepresentation and hype, then caveat emptor" and your criticism of how the other posters are approaching it hardly applies to any of us.

despite my cynicism, i like it when games do good and accomplish good things. i wasn't ever going to buy this game (and didn't). i sort of expected that it would fall short in a lot of ways and there would be some grousing, but for all my deep and abiding cynicism I was not expecting the game to fall short in pretty much every regard; the worlds are samey, the interactivity of the universe is limited and so much of it is static and repetitive, and the ending will DESERVE to go down in history as one of the biggest anger-generating letdowns of all time.

even if you find the whining and anger hilarious (which I don't think you do, i think it irritates you if your responses here are any indication) the mendacity and mediocrity of hello games' offering has directly empowered it. this game is a golden gem to people who like to get angry. it's red meat and validation for them. the real winners here are spastic grousers who get paid to shit on a game for two solid hours in youtube, like angry joe.

you can find the whining hilarious, but the whining cynics win this day because they are right about NMS. and that's about the most depressing thing about NMS, outside of just how it's a really underwhelming repetitive game with a bad grind mechanic.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: August 28, 2016, 05:52:07 PM

Nobody would mind the "ending" if the procedural generation made more varied, surprising, unusual worlds. I wouldn't mind a Minecraft 'ending' that put me back into a new Minecraft world because it really would be different feeling.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #620 on: August 28, 2016, 06:12:27 PM

yeah like individually the ending would not suck if it was New Game Plus. like in each subsequent ieteration of galaxy, the procedural generation starts to go more and more off the rails and the worlds become more extreme and alien and potentially unnavigable.

but it's just a straight reset without prompting.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #621 on: August 28, 2016, 06:13:10 PM

anyway i superdumped my primer on NMS elsewhere to not drown the page.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: August 28, 2016, 06:19:17 PM

Link us to it?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: August 28, 2016, 07:33:47 PM

I deserve to read it as someone who invested $0.00 into it!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: August 28, 2016, 07:39:25 PM

The dude flat out lied about his game both in interviews and visually with demo shit that's not even in the game.    There is no way consumers can be "Savvy" about a product when they are lied to every step of the way about it.  Sure you can opt out of preordering but everything has to have first adopters and those people ahould rightfully be upset.

That's pretty normal for AAA games, though.  Every year at every E3 we get previews of games and, without doing anything that sounds like actual research or math, I'd guess that well over half of them show or promise something that's not in the actual final game.  Cut modes or scaled back graphics or dropped features are not something that NMS has a monopoly on, it's not even something that's particularly rare or unusual.  That's the whole reason why people were saying "maybe it's not a good idea to preorder games in general" even before NMS was a thing.

Though the outrage is probably nothing compared to what's on the horizon for Star Citizen.  Chris Roberts must be building an escape rocket in his secret volcano lair as we speak.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #625 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:38 PM

That's pretty normal for AAA games, though.  Every year at every E3 we get previews of games and, without doing anything that sounds like actual research or math, I'd guess that well over half of them show or promise something that's not in the actual final game.

as we can expect from them, NMS takes it a step further.

the webpage and all associated studio media still only has "generated in real time" videos from years ago as promotion of the game
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: August 28, 2016, 11:17:54 PM

malicious stupidity

This is rich.

News flash, I didn't buy the game. The moment I heard there wouldn't be any prerelease reviews my standard reaction is to wait.

Unlike you, I'm not amoral, unethical and devoid of empathy. Hello Games continue to lie right now with their steam page showing off content you won't find. Their endgame content is a sham and an insult.

I actually think the level of lies are serious enough for a class action lawsuit.

Hello Games are responsible for misrepresenting what would be available in the game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:20:11 PM by patience »

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: August 29, 2016, 12:33:46 AM

I actually think the level of lies are serious enough for a class action lawsuit.

awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. Facepalm
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: August 29, 2016, 03:46:21 AM

awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. Facepalm

You could've posted this when I said this is on the same level as Colonial Marines though it was Sega and not Gearbox that ended up having to deal with the fallout of that game. The level of dishonesty is quite similar were a tech demo falsely represents the state of the game and continues to be used as advertising material after the game is released. The biggest differences were that the quality of CM's demo was far beyond what the game delivered while Hello Games used more verbal lies to sell the game and Hello Games actually made the game unlike Gearbox who passed most of the work to a 3rd party.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: August 29, 2016, 03:59:46 AM

I just want to point out that the E3 2013 trailer (which has now been proven to be faked since the game released with the presentation assets) is still the initial trailer on the NMS steam page, even with it blatenly showing quite a lot of things that are provably not in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: No Man's Sky  
Jump to: