Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: No Man's Sky 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 115255 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:41 PM

The trailer was shown just now on the video game awards showthingamabob. Fuck everything else except this game, for reals. It's about time we got a real procedural universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SamVg64gvOk

edit: slightly better quality video now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:48:48 AM by schild »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:08 PM

I'm not sure what sort of game I'm looking at here. I can't even tell if its PC, console, or what.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:22:18 PM

Sadly I have to agree with random Youtube commenter dude:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:47:31 PM

Also no more video.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:11:48 AM

Google to the resque! http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/7/5186774/exploration-sim-no-mans-sky-coming-from-hello-games

Unfortunately no mention of when and where you'll be able to start buying ships  Rimshot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:16 AM

No PC?!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:40:12 AM

As neat as exploration can be, is there an actual game here?  I can imagine myself playing something like this non-stop for about 10 hours full of oohs and ahhs, and then never firing it up again.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:13:24 AM

Man you guys are cynical (except those who paid Chris Roberts money, you can't say anything)! That said I have no idea what this game will be, but my dreams have it as a mix of Starbound and Elite.

Also, fuck the PC!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:16:53 AM by jakonovski »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:10:11 AM

I think the video is very promising and exciting. I am just really bummed about the no PC thing. Some games make really no sense to me on a console.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 07:14:05 AM

Man you guys are cynical...

Where are we again?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:06 AM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 09:20:36 AM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 12:59:26 PM

Sadly I have to agree with random Youtube commenter dude:

This right here.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:10:47 PM

Wait, something like this is coming out on a platform that ISN'T PC?

How are they going to mod it?

Also I look forward to their procedurally generated character/vehicle/ship controls and the procedurally generated fun.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:33:35 PM

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:04 AM

There's nothing that categorically says it's not going to be on PC at all and I first read about it on RockPaperShotgun which is generally a good sign that it's going to be.

I'm more impressed that this has been developed by four guys in Guildford and the trailer was one of them recording himself playing it and then editing it together just for the VGX. Here's an interview with the same guy (who seems quite jetlagged) Will be an interesting project to keep an eye on. 

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:08 AM

RPS takes a good long look. Now I know what the game is.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

- Henry Cobb
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 10:17:43 AM

Space sandbox.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 12:33:11 PM

They said it was going to be on the PC AND a next-gen console. I'm all over it, the trailer was fantastic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:20:34 PM

But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.
Why can't we just have single player games without letting people fuck things up for others? While this would also be a great candidate for private servers, having The Internet affect people's games is #retarded.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 01:30:40 PM

Why can't we just have single player games without letting people fuck things up for others?

But multiplayer is the future and everyone who plays games wants it in everything, because it automatically makes every game better just by virtue of existing, and if you don't want it lol, go sit in the backyard and bang sticks together, loser.

Also, The Cloud.

- Henry Cobb
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 02:30:44 PM

But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.
Why can't we just have single player games without letting people fuck things up for others? While this would also be a great candidate for private servers, having The Internet affect people's games is #retarded.

So you're saying Dark Souls' MP system was dumb, Notch was on bathsalts with his (now defunct) design, and Wil Wright was spot on releasing Spore b4 the MP component was finished?   Ohhhhh, I see.

I'll toss in my gripe though; I see no indication of any kind of crew RPG elements.  Would be nice to have a crewed ship ala Starflight w/a rover and so forth.  Being a single player-character in one small fighter-sized ship, traversing the galaxy, seems kind dumb.  (unless I'm missing something)

The new Miner Wars Engineering game shows more promise so far, but those guys have been nothing but cockteasers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:42:41 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:52 PM

Dark Souls's* MP system is hardly universally appealing, so nobody should be surprised if someone doesn't like the sound of that. Notch's model is entirely different - you play with just the people you want to.

*It takes the 's because you are talking about a single thing named "Dark Souls" not something that belongs to multiple Dark Souls.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 02:43:55 PM

When I ask these questions, Murray is light on specifics, but hopes players will work cooperatively. “There are some things that you could do for the wrong reasons. You could broadcast certain information for the wrong reasons. But generally people are playing together cooperatively to the benefit of everyone. You can be a dick in the game if you want, but it has less point and less value.”

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

People aren't dicks to each other online because of some arbitrary in-game value, they're dicks to each other because there are no consequences! This is Internet Multiplayer Remedial 049 stuff. Did these guys just log into the internet for the first time? I look forward to the tears as their starry-eyed faith in other human beings is dashed upon the cold sands of their space sandbox.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 02:49:30 PM

I didn't watch the video but reading the article, it sounds grandiose like Spore was. And I was so enthusiastic about Spore and then it was just a colossal letdown.

I see no evidence that this will be any different.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 03:25:25 PM

I'm not going to get all excited about this, though I hope it turns out well. I think the one chance it has where Spore was doomed is that it's not a bajilllion dollar Will Wright joint for EA, where suits don't understand science and exploration and general awesome stuff. So the space RTS that got glommed on to the point of pushing out so much stuff later on (and eventually reduced in patches after nobody cared anymore, I think).

Anyway. Yes, Dark Soulses's MP is dumb, notch's initial vision was dumb and Spore only needed the background seeding parts as released. So yes. Spot on.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 03:27:37 PM

Also, when getting all starry-eyed about the great stories coming out of Day Z, one seems to gloss over what a complete unfun stab in the earhole the game was for the most part.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

There will be dedicated groups of people who's only goal is to blow up and/or cause the extinction of anything and everything cool they might find.  4chan and Something Awful will probably have a contest to see who can eradicate the most species.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:14 PM

When I ask these questions, Murray is light on specifics, but hopes players will work cooperatively. “There are some things that you could do for the wrong reasons. You could broadcast certain information for the wrong reasons. But generally people are playing together cooperatively to the benefit of everyone. You can be a dick in the game if you want, but it has less point and less value.”

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

People aren't dicks to each other online because of some arbitrary in-game value, they're dicks to each other because there are no consequences! This is Internet Multiplayer Remedial 049 stuff. Did these guys just log into the internet for the first time? I look forward to the tears as their starry-eyed faith in other human beings is dashed upon the cold sands of their space sandbox.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Good, I wasn't the only one that read that and thought, DUDE HAVE YOU USED THE INTERNET?

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:37 PM

Also, when getting all starry-eyed about the great stories coming out of Day Z, one seems to gloss over what a complete unfun stab in the earhole the game was for the most part.

I had fun in DayZ solely due to playing with Slay and Surly. So this.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:36 PM

Those mofos are crazy.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:17 PM

Also, fuck the PC!

I see. Then I shall spread every vile rumor ever possible to ruin this pile of shit's potential regardless whether it's true or not.
To arms!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:46 PM

I liked the homage to Skyfox.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:34 AM

Oh rk...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:48 AM

Sure, he wishes, but when the author says stuff like

Games that we will get compared to, rather than I would compare us to, would be Minecraft, DayZ, but also Dark Souls to an extent and probably Journey.”

on top of showing a trailer like that, how can you not be interested?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: No Man's Sky  
Jump to: