Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Ghostcrawler's Leaving 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostcrawler's Leaving  (Read 105464 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: November 27, 2013, 11:06:47 AM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:10:35 AM

"but I have a great opportunity for something new and exciting"

awesome, for real

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:12:29 AM

I guess this means a year down the road everyone will realize "I guess it wasn't all his fault after all" when Blizzard keeps tripping on the same old gopher holes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:07 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:27 AM

Most of the big time complainers will just move on to the next guy.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:14 AM

I guess this means a year down the road everyone will realize "I guess it wasn't all his fault after all" when Blizzard keeps tripping on the same old gopher holes.

No, they'll just bitch that the new guy is just as bad, but it was always GC's fault.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:53:44 AM

Depends on who's replacing him.  Since the X-pac is still under development, some of the changes will be in place and have GCs touch on them, but I suspect not a lot, based on the Blizcon "gee we haven't decided yet" fest.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:16:17 PM

I'm bummed that he's leaving. As Lead System Designer he was probably responsible for a lot of the better mechanical changes the game has seen in the past few years (active mitigation, better feeling damage/healing 'rotations', talent/spec revamps, etc.) It's (still) weird that people heap all the blame for anything they don't like in the game on him. I guess that's what he gets for being the only developer that was willing to talk with players. Doubtless the antagonistic playerbase was a factor in his decision to move on.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:47:51 PM

Guy got way more shit than he deserved, I hope he enjoys where ever he winds up. Healing as a paladin got fun under his watch (reluctant as he was to change it at first), so he's okay in my book.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:53:28 PM

Despite what Ingmar says, he's one of those people I think deserved to be fired long ago. Not everything should be blamed on him, but the systems he put in place for things like tanking have now made tanking into something even old tanks don't want to do. Now we just need to get rid of Metzen and Chilton, and we're in solid shape.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:55:11 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 02:44:00 PM

Nah, Ingmar's right and you're just a  Mob

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:08:15 PM

Finally. To late for me to care but good on blizzard until they find another dickpunching autist to replace him.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/406133865258819584
I'm not surprised the internet doesn't actually understand what my job was. I am surprised it is so certain in its bad assumptions. :)

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:28 PM

"but I have a great opportunity for something new and exciting"

awesome, for real

Please let it be Brad McQuaid's thing. Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:25:34 AM

I was Lead Systems Designer most of the time I was on WoW. I split lead duties with Cory as Lead Content Designer. Both of us reported to the Game Director, Tom Chilton, Kalgan. Nearly every decision any of us made was by consensus. Systems design = classes, items, professions, PvP, encounters, UI, combat & major features. I spent most of my time on features.
Now watch as people, without taking a pause for breath, switch over to blaming everything on Mumper. awesome, for real

E: ^^ I'm pretty sure he's said that he's not moving to another MMO because, well, what's the point?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:30:35 AM by Simond »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 05:10:05 AM

I figure the hatred will just be doubled down on Metzen.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:28 AM

Metzen 100% deserves it.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 01:34:08 PM

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/406133865258819584
I'm not surprised the internet doesn't actually understand what my job was. I am surprised it is so certain in its bad assumptions. :)

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

He was class balance guy and he was shitty at it.

Over and out.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 04:48:40 PM

Most of what I did was features and UI. Class design was a small part, but the part players want to talk about.
I'm always happy to take the blame, but every balance change is a group decision of the class team if not the whole design team.
I think you will find WoW design philosophy comes from the team and not any one individual. Don't expect many changes.
The class team is largely intact, so I wouldn't expect many changes to balance philosophy just because I am gone. Sorry.

Looks like you're wrong.  Popcorn

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 04:58:03 PM

All I see there is "It's not my fault!"

Over and out.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:36:30 PM

But class design and balance was what he placed himself front and center on, all the way back when he started being the most visible public face of the dev team. To my knowledge he rarely, if ever, discussed UI and general game features during the time I played. It was all classes all the time with him.

If he was mainly a features/UI guy with only minor focus on class design, he sure as shit spent a whole slew of years talking about something he really shouldn't have been.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 06:56:52 PM

He's trying to dodge responsibility. There's a shocker.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 07:50:44 PM

Yep if I a Lead system designer skirt responsibilities with "its a team effort" BS. He was never the right person for the job. Maybe he is good designer - who knows , but if you are in lead role you have to have balls to do what is necessary AND take blame when it comes to it (and there always be blame as you cant make everyone happy no matter what you do)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:53:33 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 08:29:45 PM

The person to blame is still the evil Kalgan, he's the one with the 'yes/no' powers.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 08:46:29 PM

That's the name, yes.  I couldn't remember.

GC probably isn't blameless, but the idea that his leaving means the game gets better is likely ludicrous.

No matter how true I wish it were.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 09:13:44 PM

I have no doubt the game won't get better.  The ship has long since sailed for me either way anyway.  But I'm still glad Ghostcrawler is gone.

Over and out.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 09:47:54 PM

I have no doubt the game won't get better. 

Head scratch

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:37 PM

Maybe he's going to go help on TESO!   awesome, for real
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 02:51:42 AM

Maybe you should stop channelling the bnet forums then.

But class design and balance was what he placed himself front and center on, all the way back when he started being the most visible public face of the dev team. To my knowledge he rarely, if ever, discussed UI and general game features during the time I played. It was all classes all the time with him.

If he was mainly a features/UI guy with only minor focus on class design, he sure as shit spent a whole slew of years talking about something he really shouldn't have been.
He was a willing scapegoat. He put himself out there front and centre so dumb fucking idiots could blame everything on him rather than sending two dozen pizzas to 'their' class dev because their dps was reduced by 0.1%. Judging by reactions in this thread, it worked out pretty well.

It doesn't get to me. I am trying to talk some sense to discourage the inevitable backlash against the current team.
Maybe they should hire Tweety to do PR. An updated version of her "Try being a guide..." rant would be useful here about this point.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:03:08 AM by Simond »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 06:13:53 AM

He wasn't being the virtuous scapegoat, Simond. You sound like his agent.

He enjoyed poking the playerbase with a stick. In many cases he was a common troll, but with a much more powerful megaphone.

Tom Chilton is still the guy to blame for the overall decisions at the very top, but Ghostcrawler wasn't sitting around going, "Gee golly guys I'm just a wittle ole systems guy, don't ask me."

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 06:31:56 AM

He wasn't being the virtuous scapegoat, Simond.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 06:52:37 AM

Ah yes, fall back on that old cliche as if you can prove your opinion that he was.

But then again, I guess trolls do stick together.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 06:55:24 AM

Ah yes, fall back on that old cliche as if you can prove your opinion that he was.

But then again, I guess trolls do stick together.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:24 AM

Maybe he's going to go help on TESO!   awesome, for real
I would like to know where he's going.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 08:22:00 AM

Maybe you should stop channelling the bnet forums then.

Maybe you just need to accept that when you're the team LEAD, you are responsible for whatever that team does.  In this case, that includes class balance.

Over and out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Ghostcrawler's Leaving  
Jump to: