Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:39:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA]  (Read 139335 times)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:40 AM

Buddy picked this up so of course I had to.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I used my ill gotten gold to get Tychus.  He's now level 5.  I'm getting a little bored with just playing Tychus.  Do I want to focus on one champ or can I play many?  Seems like most of the abilities are unlocked by 5, so it's just more gold for taking him higher (or am I grossly missing something)?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #386 on: February 11, 2015, 08:49:23 AM

Gold, portraits and more gold. The rewards are on the player info screen where you can see the level of each of your champs.

I like playing a variety, but I don't compete or PVP so my playstyle doesn't demand laser focus and play decisions as a matter of reflex.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:36 AM

I'd encourage you to buy a tank and a support at the very least to learn their play and roles.  I'd also find out which heroes give you the most trouble in battles and learn to play them during the weeks that they're free. Learning the weaknesses/strengths will help you beat them in the future.

I tend to play all of the free weekly heroes to level 5 for the gold and to learn how they play.  It helps me decide who to buy next. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: February 11, 2015, 09:07:19 AM

My Battle.net name is Karp#1741

Feel free to add me or send invites if you see me on.  I'm competent, but no 19 year old on crack.

To those that are new, see above.  I'm happy to help or join you for Coop or Quick matches.  Played a bit with Kail yesterday and it was pretty fun.  I just need to control my frustration sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:05:47 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: February 11, 2015, 09:34:12 AM

My Battle.net name is Karp#1741

Feel free to add me or send invites if you see me on.  I'm competent, but no 19 year old on crack.

To those that are new, see above.  I'm happy to help or join your for Coop or Quick matches.  Played a bit with Kail yesterday and it was pretty fun.  I just need to control my frustration sometimes.

My problem as well.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: February 11, 2015, 01:45:59 PM

Stay Zen.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:44 PM

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #392 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:08 PM

I just need to control my frustration sometimes.

Frustration is so ingrained in MOBA, I treat it like a feature.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #393 on: February 11, 2015, 03:02:14 PM

Moderate highs, lows like you'll never believe.  The gaming equivalent of huffing paint or doing krokodil.

I just really can't stand the miserable games you can have in MOBAs at this time.  You feel rotten and tainted for days.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #394 on: February 11, 2015, 03:09:25 PM

There's nothing I love more than people playing competitive games when they're not skilled enough to truly compete and then getting their shit kicked in and fucking raging.

If you're not good at losing, stop playing competitive games. Even if you like them.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #395 on: February 11, 2015, 03:20:19 PM

Losing isn't hard.  Losing to shitty players isn't even hard.  You'll eventually get to play with people as crappy as you are.

Dealing with massive stupidity, ignorance, teen/fat/fedora rage, and verbal abuse can get tiring. Much easier just to shoot things.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #396 on: February 11, 2015, 03:44:04 PM

That's what I'm talking about, you gotta be able to tune that shit out to play in any competitive field. You don't think NFL players are as much a pack of immature shitheels as fat white kids behind their box with a PCMR sticker on it? Comeon now.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #397 on: February 11, 2015, 04:03:47 PM

No, it really does rise to a particularly "special" level in anonymous random matchmaking kind of settings. I've never seen anything like behavior as bad as it gets in MOBAs in face to face settings. Even the occasional bad egg in MTGO or whatever isn't the same kind of thing as getting some total shitheel on your team.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #398 on: February 11, 2015, 04:04:51 PM

Football players can retaliate by jacking the shit out of smack talkers. There is no "Bitchslap a Fuckface" button in my MOBAs.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #399 on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:37 PM

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: February 11, 2015, 04:50:46 PM

I've won games like that. Play super aggressive, roaming hanks, share ward costs. Fucking intense.

Doesn't work if people start throwing tantrums though. (I've seen winning games with 4 carries turn to losses when the fifth player decided to start intentionally feeding to "teach us a lesson").

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: February 11, 2015, 06:13:16 PM

Football players can retaliate by jacking the shit out of smack talkers. There is no "Bitchslap a Fuckface" button in my MOBAs.

This.... this I can relate to.

-  Mark Twain
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: February 12, 2015, 05:08:03 AM

There's nothing I love more than people playing competitive games when they're not skilled enough to truly compete and then getting their shit kicked in and fucking raging.

If you're not good at losing, stop playing competitive games. Even if you like them.

For me, I don't rage at losing but it is supremely frustrating to the point of anger when I'm locked into a 20-45min game where one or more teammates are just fucking around, trying weird builds or blatantly trolling.  Losing is one thing but when your own team is wasting your goddamn time with no way to retaliate without getting yourself penalized is bullshit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: February 12, 2015, 06:10:15 AM

For me, I don't rage at losing but it is supremely frustrating to the point of anger when I'm locked into a 20-45min game where one or more teammates are just fucking around, trying weird builds or blatantly trolling.  Losing is one thing but when your own team is wasting your goddamn time with no way to retaliate without getting yourself penalized is bullshit.

That's the inherent issue with playing competitive games with random people, and why I usually end up back in 1v1 PvP games in the end. 
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:50 PM

So I ended up trading gold for The Lost Vikings. A lot of fun even though it takes a lot of effort to not run them as a group. As 3 solos they can be nasty. As a group you can wreck opposing player's paths. The animations and sound effects are great and I have only tried one ult on my way to level 5 because... viking warship brings a smile to my face. Plus it's nasty if the RNG slaps another hero multiple times.

I haven't gone back to LoL in 3 months and HotS and Smite are definitely my go-to Mobas now.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: February 13, 2015, 07:06:59 AM

This is also me.  Got stomped?  Ok, bad matchup, shit happens.  Close game, win?  Ideal.  Close game, lose?  Almost ideal.  4v5 or 3v5 due to team mates catching butterflies?  That shits annoying.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: February 13, 2015, 08:16:53 AM

People grabbing merc camps or laning when there is a team fight is my #1 rage inducer.  If we lose to a better team/team comp, that's all good.  Losing because the team was doing useless shit, not good.  When I do more hero damage playing ETC than the Valla and Jaina on my team, that will also make me rage. 

Have I mentioned that I hate people?

-  Mark Twain
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: February 13, 2015, 04:44:42 PM

People grabbing merc camps or laning when there is a team fight is my #1 rage inducer.  If we lose to a better team/team comp, that's all good.  Losing because the team was doing useless shit, not good.  When I do more hero damage playing ETC than the Valla and Jaina on my team, that will also make me rage. 

Have I mentioned that I hate people?
Had a game where I beat out Valla and Kaina while playing Chen smiley

And then I had a game where one of our players (Zagara) never showed up to teamfights (so every fight was 4v5 or worse). He also never actually managed to push the lane he was camping either.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: February 13, 2015, 07:53:56 PM

I keep laughing when people tell me I'm AFKing on Abathur... stats at the end of the game show otherwise.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: February 15, 2015, 12:52:22 PM

I keep laughing when people tell me I'm AFKing on Abathur... stats at the end of the game show otherwise.

Sadly, Abathur might as well AFK.  He's a liability in the current meta.  Great lane pusher, but terrible in team fights.

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: February 15, 2015, 05:07:48 PM

I dread seeing an Abathur on my team.  Maybe some folks can do something with him, but I've yet to see anyone do anything with him.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: February 15, 2015, 09:16:30 PM

I dread seeing an Abathur on my team.  Maybe some folks can do something with him, but I've yet to see anyone do anything with him.

He USED to be pretty decent, before they nerfed his ult.  It used to give him a slightly weaker version of the character he was cloning (no talents) but they still had their ult and didn't give any XP if you killed them.  If you think Tychus is tough, going up against double Odins was nightmare fuel.  This was slightly balanced out by the fact that your ult wasn't always up and when it was down, your team was always going to be 4v5 with some minor pew-pewing from symbiote.  But all the time he was supporting his team with symbiote, he's ALSO pushing his lane with locusts.

Then they nerfed the clone so it now gives XP when it dies and doesn't have an ult, so you're always better off with a fifth player than an Abathur clone.  He's allegedly got the worst winrate in the game now (with Chen in close second).  He's still fun to play in co-op, but your team needs to know how to play with him, and as Setana points out, lots of people have no idea how he works.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: February 15, 2015, 10:32:27 PM

I've been playing Azmodan with a Q farm build. So much fun hitting people for 1200 AOE damagef late game.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: February 15, 2015, 10:46:19 PM

Abarthur used to be so much fun until they removed the Ult from his Ult. Now he's just "meh" and a failed concept that was good. Which is a shame as a mate and I would play, him on stitches or Diablo and me running piggyback. The combo was just rude.

I've been playing a bit of Diablo recently, great fun if you catch someone out of position and can knock them back but against experienced players, Stitches is a much better bet which is a shame as I'd talent into fire and health from souls and flame breath for giggles.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: February 16, 2015, 06:55:20 AM

Been playing Diablo myself.  I'd have to say that his charge is fantastically designed and implemented - if you are close it knocks further away (synergizes nicely with his sunset flip), if you are further away charges to and stuns, allowing you to sunset flip back to your teammates.

That said, being an initiator in a PUG is relatively pointless.  Valla and Nova behind me, initiate on the healer, flip it over my head, kick back to them.... they run, because I have no fucking idea why, scary healer I guess.  I get mauled and dead, enemy team catches up with both of them and they get mauled and dead.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29:43 AM

That said, being an initiator in a PUG is relatively pointless.  Valla and Nova behind me, initiate on the healer, flip it over my head, kick back to them.... they run, because I have no fucking idea why, scary healer I guess.  I get mauled and dead, enemy team catches up with both of them and they get mauled and dead.

This. 

I love playing tanks.  Muradin and ETC are my favorites.  It's IMPOSSIBLE to carry poor/timid dps players in this game and it causes me no end of rage.  People don't get the concept that if their assassins are focused on the tank, then they have the unlimited ability to do free damage.  Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

-  Mark Twain
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: February 17, 2015, 12:41:12 AM

A lack of proper aggression is very frustrating. When your team refuses to eliminate solo enemy pushers and does not chase down fleeing heroes, it's easy for the enemy to quickly gain a large exp lead.

Especially when you fall behind, you have to start taking out enemy heroes to recover the exp lead or you will be at a significant disadvantage in team fights.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #417 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:53 PM

This. 

I love playing tanks.  Muradin and ETC are my favorites.  It's IMPOSSIBLE to carry poor/timid dps players in this game and it causes me no end of rage.  People don't get the concept that if their assassins are focused on the tank, then they have the unlimited ability to do free damage.  Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

Because most people are fucking terrible at games at all levels. I know I suck and yet I'm better than at least 50% of players. 

Remember that after 10 years and countless add-ons that scream at you "don't stand in the fire" kills most of Blizzards players.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: February 17, 2015, 04:32:07 PM

Here's something funny I didn't realize about Sgt Hammer until today (cause she's free and I finally played her). First time out with her, I accidentally left it in "Quick Play" instead of switching to co-op to get a feel for her.  Start getting my ass handed to me because these are real people and she is SLOOOOOWWWW and real people don't stay in range of your artillery.  Our team is getting worked pretty hard early on, but them we make a bit of a come back and we last all the way to level 20.  I fire the big gun down the middle lane and hit multiple people on the other team.  Not a huge game-changing moment, but wow, what a game-changing moment.  The trajectory of the bullet happened to go through the outer keep. 

I see this blue line on the minimap and a bullet flying by occasionally.  It finally dawns on me that that is MY bullet, so I read the ult text again and start laughing - the ult upgrade causes it to "orbit" the map every five seconds.  Shortly thereafter the keep falls.  I say the buddy I'm playing with and I say, "watch this" - and fire the bullet clear across the map through their core, when the bullet arrives it does 800ish damage.  They are now on a countdown to losing, but I don't think they ever really understood why (I know I wouldn't have).

Team was clearly better than us, but just didn't push.  So they lost.  Certainly a very edge-case way of winning and no recipe for success, but something to keep in mind if you are playing with/against Sgt Hammer and the game is going very long.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:24 PM

Kinda surprised that worked, honestly.  I've heard that tactic described before and the counterargument is always "it damages the core shields, but won't damage fast enough take down the core itself unless you're also pushing".  And since it means you've somehow got to play Hammer without Napalm, I've never done it myself or even seen it.  Weird, I'll have to give it a shot.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Heroes of the Storm [a.k.a Blizzard DoTA]  
Jump to: