Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  (Read 484782 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #560 on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:07 PM

The Alliance buildings have the same problem of being thematic for only a couple races, whether or not they happen to be less ugly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #561 on: April 15, 2014, 06:12:42 PM

You missed my ninja edit! I semi-disagree, although obviously I feel like my draenei and night elves would prefer something other than Generic Human Tower, it's still not so ... SOMETHING that I can't see them in it.

But yeah it's less that it's "ugly" (although that is how I put it because I was thinking of my most likely Horde candidate to have a garrison, my BE paladin) and more "the buildings fit fewer races in the Horde than the Alliance's do theirs."

God Save the Horn Players
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: April 15, 2014, 06:43:53 PM

Wait, are garrisons not race-specific? All horde get Orcish buildings?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #563 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

The plan, last I heard, was each side was going to get buildings "iconic for their faction" (or words to that effect). The human artistic style is what the default for Alliance usually is, while the Horde defaults to orcs.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: April 15, 2014, 07:19:52 PM

Which is lame.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: April 15, 2014, 07:27:34 PM

Wow, that's dumb. I figured worst case scenario we'd be stuck with our own race's art style, but in my ideal implementation we'd be able to purchase other styles (of our faction, others, places we've grinded rep with, etc.).

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:15 PM

phoning it in on a multi million dollar scale.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #567 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:20 AM

Human buildings work pretty well for any of the alliance races. Worgen used to be human, night elves like more open buildings with the asian-style roofs but stick some trees and big windows on it and it wouldn't look out of place, Draenei are basically space hippies and it wouldn't look out of place if you just threw some stupid floating crystal shit in a human building and called it a day, Dwarf structures that are outside basically look like human stuff anyway, and gnomes just need some goofy steampunk crap laying around.

the pandas will basically get no more than perfunctory acknowledgement like their previous ignored ancestors the Draenei, Blood Elves, and Worgen.

I guess it continues the Wow tradition of the Horde getting the lesser end of the gameplay stuff but always coming out ahead/getting the most focus in the story department.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #568 on: April 16, 2014, 05:48:56 AM

Art assets are hard, just like story ideas apparently.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #569 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:37 AM

It just looks like an assortment of buildings plopped down and connected with pathways, each race that has a city already has art assets for that so I don't see why you couldn't have a choice.

You could always reroll Alliance: http://imgur.com/a/xGkxI
Who takes "offical" screen shots at night when everything looks blue?
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: April 16, 2014, 07:38:55 AM

It's Shadowmoon Valley. It is always dark there. I think it is one of the zones that is most complete so they may not have had much of a choice but to show it there.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:07 AM

Blue response from earlier.

Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?)
Yes.

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #572 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:09 AM

Blue response from earlier.

Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?)
Yes.
This is a terrible, terrible idea.
Why? The new models are likely to have a significant performance impact.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: April 16, 2014, 12:07:28 PM

Wow, that's dumb. I figured worst case scenario we'd be stuck with our own race's art style, but in my ideal implementation we'd be able to purchase other styles (of our faction, others, places we've grinded rep with, etc.).
They were muttering about maybe adding racial garrisons in later.
You know, after they finish the ground-up rebuild of the majority of the player models.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #574 on: April 16, 2014, 12:13:36 PM

I was under the impression the models people were not necessarily the same as the environment people. But that Blizzcon was years ago.  why so serious?

I'm not surprised that they decided visual customization for garrisons isn't important. These are the same people completely blindsided by people liking transmog so much. But it's still disappointing. Especially since it's the YAY NEW FEATURE of the expansion.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:07 PM

That just means that racial garrison options will be the big feature two expansions from now.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #576 on: April 16, 2014, 02:08:40 PM

That's optimistic! I was thinking three at best.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #577 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:15 PM

I was under the impression the models people were not necessarily the same as the environment people. But that Blizzcon was years ago.  why so serious?

I'm not surprised that they decided visual customization for garrisons isn't important. These are the same people completely blindsided by people liking transmog so much. But it's still disappointing. Especially since it's the YAY NEW FEATURE of the expansion.

As far as I'm concerned it's the only killer app feature they have. If they don't give people reason to come back and try that out, what are they coming back for that they haven't seen already?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

Well, the fact that every other MMO out there is worse?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned it's the only killer app feature they have. If they don't give people reason to come back and try that out, what are they coming back for that they haven't seen already?

I don't know why they aren't just copying LOTRO housing with a few tweaks.  A few small quirks aside, it nailed what housing should be  for a sandbox MMO in my opinion. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:22 PM

Being the shiniest poop in the litter box is not something worth bragging about.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 16, 2014, 04:10:15 PM

All housing except UO and  SWG sucks.  I want my house in the game world and yes I realize the technical problems this creates.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #582 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:40 PM

I don't know why they aren't just copying LOTRO housing with a few tweaks.  A few small quirks aside, it nailed what housing should be  for a sandbox MMO in my opinion. 

I don't remember what LOTRO's housing was like, could you give me a brief reminder?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 16, 2014, 05:22:22 PM

All housing except UO and  SWG sucks.  I want my house in the game world and yes I realize the technical problems this creates.
I thought Asheron's Call did a pretty bang up job of housing in world.  Of course, their world was a LOT bigger then WoW, so they had plenty of space to put housing complexes when they implimented them.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:20 PM

I don't remember what LOTRO's housing was like, could you give me a brief reminder?

Like DAOC's in a lot of ways - instanced towns with lots assigned to players, then objects you could hook to points in the rooms inside the houses on the lots, and there were towns in each race's style.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #585 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:53 PM

OK, so I wasn't forgetting some sort of super interesting housing thing in LotRO or anything.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #586 on: April 16, 2014, 06:13:46 PM

If they had a sub, yes.

Most don't, AND have "pay to use" features that are minimal.  I haven't had a wow itch since I found two that were to my liking, and I'm happy to have tossed money at them - still less than my annual fee - because of it.

Really, at this point WoW is the shitbox that EQ1 used to be.

I was under the impression the models people were not necessarily the same as the environment people. But that Blizzcon was years ago.  why so serious?

Let's not forget they're the same people who were floored by the idea of a dance studio as a popular feature and continue to be amazed they get complaints it was never implemented.  They are the dudebros of PC gaming.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:16:31 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: April 16, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

Most of the players in my semi-hardcore WotLK guild just don't play MMOs anymore. There are a bunch of gamers out there looking for the next WoW, but we're not resubbing or buying xpacs anymore

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:36 PM

Rift actually has the best housing system at this point. The last major patch added a crafting profession (Dreamweaving) that can create VFX for player housing. The whole system is so flexible and easy to use, it puts the rest of the housing systems in MMOs to shame. I have to imagine the tech in WoW is so old at this point that introducing housing in even a barely-competent way has to be a major undertaking. Likewise for making improvements to LOTRO's housing system.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:24 AM

OK, so I wasn't forgetting some sort of super interesting housing thing in LotRO or anything.

Yeah, pretty straight forward stuff.  A few different sized houses available, but a couple of clan properties available in each neighborhood.  It wasn't that LOTRO did something amazing, but it was just well down, the towns were really pleasant to be in and really had the flavor for each race, the house/yard decorating was sufficient, etc.  I would have thought anyone trying to do housing in a sandbox themepark game would basically use that as the model.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:55:10 AM by Malakili »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:54 AM

Rift actually has the best housing system at this point. The last major patch added a crafting profession (Dreamweaving) that can create VFX for player housing. The whole system is so flexible and easy to use, it puts the rest of the housing systems in MMOs to shame. I have to imagine the tech in WoW is so old at this point that introducing housing in even a barely-competent way has to be a major undertaking. Likewise for making improvements to LOTRO's housing system.
So Rift's just about caught up with EQ2's housing system, then?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:14 AM

Did EQ2 housing even have exteriors? I only played it long enough to get a shitty shack apartment in whatever the evil city was. Which is not necessarily a problem, I think I prefer non-sprawl housing overall.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:55 AM

Did EQ2 housing even have exteriors? I only played it long enough to get a shitty shack apartment in whatever the evil city was. Which is not necessarily a problem, I think I prefer non-sprawl housing overall.

Last I remember EQ2 "housing" was just virtual room decoration. 

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:41 PM

The standard houses are rooms, but interesting things can be done with the bigger ones (especially when people start sneaking past invisible walls):
http://www.eq2designgallery.com/
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?forums/norrathian-homeshow.29/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM by Simond »

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:03 PM

So Rift's just about caught up with EQ2's housing system, then?

The original implementation of Rift's housing system was much better than I remember the EQ2 housing system being. It was a lot more flexible and easier to use: like a kid's version of Maya 3D. Variety of location/objects, tools, and scale all started off best-in-class.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  
Jump to: