Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  (Read 105322 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: November 07, 2013, 07:26:49 AM

Daredevil miniseries headed to Netflix, to be followed by Jessica Jones, then Power Man & Iron first, and finally a Defenders series featuring those 4 characters.  

http://tvline.com/2013/11/07/netflix-marvel-tv-series-jessica-jones-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist/#more-471950

I'm betting we'll see all four of those characters on S.H.I.E.L.D. before their Netflix premiere...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:18:51 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:12 AM

I've always though, of all the Marvel guys, that Daredevil would translate to TV best.  Kinda Suits Meets Arrow.

(Why, yes, I do hate Arrow, but you get my meaning...)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:05 AM

"Daredevil" - Didn't care much.

"Netflix miniseries" - Now I'm interested...

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:39:37 AM

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character ever. Thanks mostly to Frank Miller's fantastic two runs on the series. I greeted this announcement with joy. I just hope they don't fuck it up, because other than Jessica Jones, I really dig all the characters they are talking about.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:58:30 AM

It looks to me like they're doing Avengers 2.0, this time with characters that do not require the level of special effects that are impossible on a TV budget.  4 characters get their own separate treatment and then you pull them together (perhaps with more characters?) to form a team.  I would not be surprised to see Moon Knight join the Defenders in the final miniseries given some of the things we've heard and some of the things in the comics over the past decade.

I expect we'll hear plans for Moon Knight, Punisher, Blade, and a variety of other characters in the next 3 or 4 years... and it sounds like Netflix plans to be heavily involved with Disney/Marvel.  In fact, I'm betting the House of Mouse buys Netflix by the end of next year.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:25:27 AM

There's actually been a curious influx of disney movies on netflix lately.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:42:40 AM

They took away my James bond though, they are dead to me.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:22 AM

Disney and Netflix made a huge deal.  Anything Marvel, Staw Wars, Disney, etc... is going to route through Netflix for digitial release for streaming for the next few years - and I expect that Disney will buy Netflix before too long to lock it up.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:51 AM

Makes a lot sense since Disney doesn't have a cable company.

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:15:19 AM

Yet.  The Mouse will own everything by 2024.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:22:27 AM

Yes the do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney#Disney_Media_Networks

Unless you mean something on the level of Time Warner or Comcast or something.

beer geek.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:36:13 AM

Ya, I meant dudes who control physical distribution of cable.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:21:07 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:21 PM

I can't see Disney ever having one of those, and they're smart for it.

beer geek.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

Disney and Netflix made a huge deal.  Anything Marvel, Staw Wars, Disney, etc... is going to route through Netflix for digitial release for streaming for the next few years - and I expect that Disney will buy Netflix before too long to lock it up.

Makes sense for Netflix given that MGM, WB, and Universal all pulled their stuff off Netflix earlier in the year.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

There were rumors about Marvel looking for an up-front commitment to a run. Makes sense.

Netflix has the same problem places like CDNow used to have - they sell only commodity products. Their advantage is purely first mover advantage. Having original content gives them an advantage with a higher barrier against competition.

I wonder if they're going to insist on all episodes being available at once. I'm not sure that model works - nobody discusses the show content since everyone watches at their own pace.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:33 AM

Aren't these the shows the major networks balked on so Netflix picked them up?  I'm excited to have these series come out, but were any of these guys actually Defenders?  I remember Hulk, Dr. Strange etc.  Don't give a flip about DD or JJ but Sweet Christmas I'm excited for Power Man and Iron Fist.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:17:10 AM

Luke Cage was a member, I think Daredevil kinda was, and Iron Fist was part of a Defenders team recently.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:15 AM

Aren't these the shows the major networks balked on so Netflix picked them up? 
As I understand it: No.  They did not go to ABC, CBS, Fox, etc...  They instead went to Netflix, FXX, AMC, and other networks that are more open to less traditional methods of storytelling on TV.  The major networks are only just now experimtenting with the '10 episodes and we're done' idea after decades of turning away from mini-series events.
I'm excited to have these series come out, but were any of these guys actually Defenders?  I remember Hulk, Dr. Strange etc.  Don't give a flip about DD or JJ but Sweet Christmas I'm excited for Power Man and Iron Fist.
The Defenders have had a variety of lineups, with nearly every B or lower tier member of the Marvel universe having their shot at a membership card.  Many of them are characters that Marvel does not have the rights to use right now: Wolverine, Beast, Silver Surfer, Colossus, Spider-man, Ghost Rider (unless those rights have reverted), etc...

One potential thing to watch: Many of the Defenders lineups were assembled by Doctor Strange.  If things go out at the pace I'd expect, we could see The individual mini-series released over a few years and then see Dr. Strange hit the big screen right around the time we'd expect to see the Defenders come together...  Likely just coincidence, but I could see Dr. Strange pulling these characters together in the first episode of the Defenders.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39:02 AM

The old Defenders book was a pointedly weird "non-team" book--basically guys who hung out together for various reasons and for various lengths of time and got involved in stuff generally rather by accident. Bendis' New Avengers was sort of a Defenders call-back.

I think this new one has to be seen as the "street" level heroes who don't fight huge menaces but get together to deal with the bigger versions of small-fry stuff.

I am curious about how they'll handle Jessica Jones in that it doesn't make sense to introduce her as an originally-spandex hero who had some bad experiences and decided to be as non-super a private eye as she could be.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 10:07:18 AM

...I am curious about how they'll handle Jessica Jones in that it doesn't make sense to introduce her as an originally-spandex hero who had some bad experiences and decided to be as non-super a private eye as she could be.
They can do that story - they just reveal she is one of these S.H.I.E.L.D. Index people that was quietly doing good (for S.H.I.E.L.D.?) and lost her abilities. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 11:13:38 AM

I'm thinking Jessica Jones is more fun though if she's still supered up, just very low-profile as she was in Alias.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 11:25:05 AM

I'm thinking Jessica Jones is more fun though if she's still supered up, just very low-profile as she was in Alias.
Probably.  They may give us both with a switch in the middle.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 01:41:23 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:02 PM

I'm interested in seeing a female TV writer take on a super heroine.  Or whatever JJ will wind up being.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 03:01:31 PM

Not sure how I feel about Goddard. I'm kind of tired of the Abrams / Whedon / Lost / Orci & Kurtzman & Lindelof stink wafting off of everything. Does everything need to be written or directed by the same 10 people?

I don't know a lot about Goddard specifically but I see that same tired list of previous projects and collaborators and my eyes glaze over.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 03:27:54 PM

Not sure how I feel about Goddard. I'm kind of tired of the Abrams / Whedon / Lost / Orci & Kurtzman & Lindelof stink wafting off of everything. Does everything need to be written or directed by the same 10 people?

I don't know a lot about Goddard specifically but I see that same tired list of previous projects and collaborators and my eyes glaze over.
Solution: Stop watching.  smiley

A number of us like the quality of work he produces.  I think he could give us a very interesting take on DD.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 03:56:14 PM

Sure it would be great if they could get David Simon or Vince Gilligan to do a Daredevil or Luke Cage series, but I wouldn't expect to see either of them being eager to write other peoples' characters. The Mutant Enemy/Bad Robot people tend to be fairly into nerd culture, so it's not surprising to see them involved in Marvel/Star Wars/Star Trek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 04:21:59 PM

Well for example Thor 2 was directed by Alan Taylor. The guy has worked on some genre stuff but from a different lineage than Abrams / Whedon / Lost. I think Ang Lee's Hulk was a very good movie trapped inside a mediocre movie's body.

I'm not sure that every property is best served by having a super fan write or direct it. You want to avoid something like Abrams working on Star Trek even though he actively dislikes it, but I don't see a problem with someone who isn't already really invested working on it. I mean, Kevin Smith loves super heroes but his writing on Batman is generally regarded as some of the worst ever. Jon Favreau was largely known as an indie actor / director before he did Iron Man, not a genre guy.

I don't see being into nerd culture as any sort of requirement for doing a good job. I don't think "nerd culture" is even a real thing other than marketing crap.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:24:01 PM by Margalis »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:15 PM

I don't see being into nerd culture as any sort of requirement for doing a good job. I don't think "nerd culture" is even a real thing other than marketing crap.

I don't think it's a requirement, and like you I don't think it necessarily makes for a better end product either. I just think it's easier to get those guys to agree to do the projects, particularly for the TV series stuff where it's a potentially longer term project. They've actually gotten a decent variety of people to work on the Marvel movies. I guess I just don't see a lot of the bigger names in TV right now "slumming it" by doing a comic book show for Disney and Netflix.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 05:18:11 PM

On that point I have no idea. A Marvel / Netflix joint that has a commitment to a full run of first season episodes sounds pretty good, I can't imagine many people turning it down unless they have something awesome already lined up. On the Q&A podcast they often cover genre writer panels at conventions and such and a lot of those guys would kill for a full-time gig - I mean you have people writing for stuff like the new Charlie's Angels...I think for most writers working on a Marvel / Netflix thing would be the opposite of slumming, but I suppose for the absolute top tier maybe not.

Also it's worth pointing out that a TV series isn't going to have just one writer, so the way this rumor is being reported is a little weird. Maybe he's going to be a writer or the head writer, but he's not going to be the writer.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 07:29:37 AM

Any showrunning is an amazing opportunity.  There are incredibly few that can turn down an opportunity because they're better off waiting for something better.  Goddard and Rosenberg had to see these as no brainer opportunities. 

My big question is: What would success mean for the future of these characters?  Are these actually limited to just mini-series, or if Daredevil is awesome, will we possibly get a 2nd season?  Or a movie? 

My biggest problem with the MCU is the slow pace.  In comics, you get between 3 (3 four comic storylines) and 30 stories (for characters like Spidey with multiple books) a year.  In the MCU (including Avengers), we expect to get 6 Iron Man stories in 11 years, 6 or 7 Thor and Captain America stories in 8 years, and a few more characters that get a few feature appearances like Hulk (3+) Black Widow (3+), War Machine (2?), Hawkeye (2?), Falcon (2?), Scarlet Witch (2?), Quicksilver (2?), Nick Fury (3?), GotG (2?), Ant-man (2?), Wasp (1?), etc... 

When you factor in the difference of the rate of the aging of the comic characters to the rate the actors age, you're getting up to 1/150th of the stories out of a character at a given age...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:09 PM

Any showrunning is an amazing opportunity. 

It is, unless you're already in a position to create shows using your own concepts, which is why I mentioned Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad) and David Simon (the Wire, Treme). Those are the kinds of names that I think carry enough weight to get me interested in a series. Creating a TV series is such an inconsistent art (due to the writing team as a whole, involvement from the higher ups, the number of episodes per season, etc...) that it seems almost impossible for one writer or showrunner to consistently make good shows, Whedon being a prime example of that right now.

Point being, to me there isn't really showrunner they're going to announce for any of these new shows that's likely to increase my interest because only the really top tier guys consistently make good product and I don't think those are the guys that are going to be interested in doing these shows.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:26:14 PM

These movies are to film in NY, apparently.  Interesting, given that Daredevil / Murdock just moved to San Francisco in the comics.

http://www.thewrap.com/disney-film-marvel-netflix-series-nyc-gov-cuomo-bob-iger-announce/

They say a 'minimum' of 60 hours, but I see a minimum of 56 listed - although I hope they give some of these characters multiple 13 episode runs...

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:55 PM

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:19:55 PM by jgsugden »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:13 PM

I approve of both those choices.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  
Jump to: