Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  (Read 326598 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: January 23, 2014, 03:08:01 PM

Yet he managed to hire 5 designers at an extremely pre-production stage.
Nah. Those are a bunch of buddies that got together to do a kickstarter. You think those guys have 401ks? Not a chance.

Also they did pre-production work for the kickstarter pitch. All those concept pics, the unity engine demo, etc. That was a non-trivial amount of work. Nothing compared to making a real game, much less a MMO, but you don't knock that out in an afternoon.

Concept pics are artists, unity engine demo is the engineer.  Neither of which I criticized as having too many of.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 23, 2014, 03:11:31 PM

lol at 5 designers for 1 engineer.   awesome, for real

That's not an Engineer, that RockStarDevDude! An engineer shows up to work every day, understands what they are supposed to do and competently executes. RockStarDevDude sparkles. Dazzles. They are able to drown the higher-ups with a verbal deluge of Engineering techno-babble which allows them to promise Everything! Nothing! while while delivering bajillions of lines of goobleygook code. Preferably in a unique framework that no-one understands. Using generators.

No my friends, this is no Engineer.  This is Elvis in Las Vegas sitting on his throne awaiting Nirvana.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 24, 2014, 06:29:28 AM

Yet he managed to hire 5 designers at an extremely pre-production stage.
Nah. Those are a bunch of buddies that got together to do a kickstarter. You think those guys have 401ks? Not a chance.

Also they did pre-production work for the kickstarter pitch. All those concept pics, the unity engine demo, etc. That was a non-trivial amount of work. Nothing compared to making a real game, much less a MMO, but you don't knock that out in an afternoon.

Actually a lot of those screenshots they provided they said they knocked out the night before.
Niedar
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: January 24, 2014, 06:49:30 AM

With assets bought off the unity3d store for 50 or 75 dollars.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #389 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:15 AM

Maybe they can bring over some behavioral scientists from TUG!

I honestly hope this game does succeed in being made. I know there are some people who really dig the niche and I think the market as a whole benefits from having a wide spectrum available. To put a point on it: if the hardcore EQ1 fanbuoys have their own place to piss in, they won't be pissing on whatever mmo you enjoy.

To each their own. Please!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:53 AM

Funded (after 3 days)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:49 AM

Funded (after 3 days)
Damn, that's a hell of a pitch. I just backed it myself.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:40 AM

Funded (after 3 days)

For a second I thought you meant that Pantheon had gotten funded  why so serious?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #393 on: January 24, 2014, 11:40:51 AM

They just posted about their 'Crusader' class...

Style: Proficient in most melee weapons and can cast beneficial spells when following a god. Can equip two shields for ultimate defensive abilities.

what

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #394 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:47 AM

I... wut?

Why the fuck would equipping TWO ACTUAL SHIELDS help at all? Is the class just meant to curl up in a fetal shield stance and get whaled on?

Although, to be fair, that's a pretty good description of what tanks in EQ1 were forced to do.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: January 24, 2014, 12:11:20 PM

Funded (after 3 days)

For a second I thought you meant that Pantheon had gotten funded  why so serious?

TBH, I have no idea what it is but someone mentioned it on the previous page as being "the next thing to overtake Pantheon". So, well, yeah - they were right.  awesome, for real I don't think it's even an MMO though.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: January 24, 2014, 12:43:32 PM

I... wut?

Why the fuck would equipping TWO ACTUAL SHIELDS help at all? Is the class just meant to curl up in a fetal shield stance and get whaled on?

Although, to be fair, that's a pretty good description of what tanks in EQ1 were forced to do.

It works for pvp-ing newbies in Dark Souls  why so serious?

And there's this

(what can't you find on google)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #397 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

I love the Internet.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #398 on: January 24, 2014, 01:35:11 PM

Topical news. SOE announced that Vanguard is closing just today.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:32:05 PM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:35 PM

PIYF

If I thought Pantheon: Rizzle Mo Fizzle was going to get funded, designed, developed, and published, I'd make a crack here about SOE clearing the decks to make room for it.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #400 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:53 PM

How did that fucking game last for 7 years?  swamp poop

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: January 24, 2014, 01:50:25 PM

One year per subscriber  awesome, for real

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:38 PM

Wouldn't it just be saucy if Brad had in fact known this was coming all along...timing his opportunity to step up and save the day with the one last true hope for Nut-Stomping MMO's?  I don't think any one person has hurt his own fans more than Mr Brad McQuaid.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:56 PM

You should've read the Rift Alpha forum. Nonstop Vanguard (or WoW of course).
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:23 AM

For what it is worth, Brad (or someone claiming to be him) made a few posts in the Pantheon thread at MMO Champion.   I rather like how he says Vanguard is in good shape now  why so serious?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:16 AM

You should've read the Rift Alpha forum. Nonstop Vanguard (or WoW of course).

The amount of Vanguard fellatio was at least 20x the amount of any other discussion. I remember blowing people's minds when I told them about basic user interface features that were in Aion that would have fit in well, then they went right back to saying "give us vanguard, it was the bestest!", I am almost certain none of those nobs even played an MMO that was not McQuadian.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: January 26, 2014, 03:54:00 PM

The current generation of gamer doesn't have the attention span to play original EQ.  Ever watch streams of people playing LoL?  Constantly alt+tabbing, hitting tab to check stats, etc.  Does every gamer under 25 have a debilitating case of ADD?  I'm just going to assume that Darwin will take care of this by killing most of them off as they text and drive.

To be fair, the tabbing in league is to check your opponents items or lack of items (i.e. knowing when someone placed a ward).
Huh ? How does that work ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 26, 2014, 04:53:30 PM

The current generation of gamer doesn't have the attention span to play original EQ.  Ever watch streams of people playing LoL?  Constantly alt+tabbing, hitting tab to check stats, etc.  Does every gamer under 25 have a debilitating case of ADD?  I'm just going to assume that Darwin will take care of this by killing most of them off as they text and drive.

To be fair, the tabbing in league is to check your opponents items or lack of items (i.e. knowing when someone placed a ward).

When you press tab, you can see your opponents items and CS score. Sometimes you'll notice that a player has an empty slot between items. Typically that might mean a player just placed a ward somewhere. You can also track their progression.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:29 PM

When you press tab, you can see your opponents items and CS score. Sometimes you'll notice that a player has an empty slot between items. Typically that might mean a player just placed a ward somewhere. You can also track their progression.

Ok. I need to improve me reading comprehension. I read that as checking for items by alt-tabbing. Thanks anyway, I keep forgetting to do that when I play Mobas.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:52 AM

Well technically you can do the same thing by alt tabbing. There are a few sights lolking is the latest, that tracks games in progress which does the same thing as tabbing in game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: January 27, 2014, 01:14:21 PM

On a spectrum, I'd fall closer to camping Guk than alt-tabbing to check the opponent's gear.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:07 AM

Trending levels are continuing to fall, as the amount of swamp poop updates they're putting out continues to rise.  I suppose McQuaid's going to break out the "Miracle Update" here this week?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #412 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:59 AM

So he is ineffectively spamming "Cazic group only needs a healer!" over and over again believing that the more often he says it, the more likely it is that a healer will appear.

I have never played WoW.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #413 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:03 AM

That got me.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #414 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:33 AM

A back of the envelope calculation looks like he needs $20k per day to meet the minimum goal.

After the first few days, he isn't touching $20k.  Only averaging $15k, including the initial surge.  There was even a negative day. 

Looking grim!
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:17 AM

Current trend: $633k. Out of the $800k needed to fund. Not un-salvageable, if they've got someone waiting around to drop the last chunk needed, a la Camelot Unchained.

Projection Cone.
Low end 417k, high end 687k. Lord knows what black magic kicktraq uses to come up with those numbers.

At any rate. If they've got an angel waiting in the wings, they're going to make it no matter what. They could stop getting pledges today and still fund, if their sucker has deep enough pockets.

Otherwise, they're toast.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #416 on: January 28, 2014, 11:11:29 AM

If they've got an angel waiting in the wings, they're going to make it no matter what. They could stop getting pledges today and still fund, if their sucker has deep enough pockets.

Exactly.

DAOC 2 seemed similarly doomed, and still managed to "make it". Since I still believe that there's an easy scam process behind these projects (meaning you put in your own money to get to the goal in order to avoid losing the real pledges), I am pretty sure it will miraculously ramp up in the last three days and even more miraculously get funded 2 hours before the deadline.

My theory is that the fucker is themselves. Kickstarter is free money as long as you can cover for the missing chunk and can make it look like it wasn't you.

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: January 28, 2014, 02:11:14 PM

Give until it hurts people. This train wreck in progress can't leave the station unless you give Brad sacks of money to squander. Donate $5000 or more and Brad will deliver a kick to your nuts in person.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:29 AM

Trending levels are continuing to fall, as the amount of swamp poop updates they're putting out continues to rise.  I suppose McQuaid's going to break out the "Miracle Update" here this week?

AND LO, THE MIRACLE UPDATE HAS ARRIVED!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts/734671

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Shroud of the Avatar Collaborate for Crowdfunding

Good morning, Pantheon fans! We have some great news to share today.

Brad has been talking with Richard 'Lord British' Garriott this week of Shroud of the Avatar and the two of them have been brainstorming ways to support both games. The result? Backers of both games can now claim a cross-game cloak in both Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Shroud of the Avatar. To qualify for the special Pantheon/SotA cross-game cloak you must be a Pantheon backer at the Fallen's Special tier or higher and the SotA First Responder (Kickstarter) or Adventurer (post-Kickstarter) pledge tier or higher. You'll then be able to wear the cloaks in both games.

why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:35 AM

What a dynamic duo those two are.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  
Jump to: