Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  (Read 326573 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #245 on: January 17, 2014, 05:53:03 AM

Ha, who are those 2 idiots in travelers. Why sure I'd love to pay $10 more to be excluded from alpha.

This may look less stupid once alpha is available.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #246 on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:38 AM

Not having anything is simply a cop out. Disconnected auction houses only work when you have ludicrous travel times like Eve, which themselves aren't acceptable unless you have a ludicrously large world like Eve. Didn't WoW start with auction houses that weren't connected and the reaction was people just gravitated to one and used it exclusively?

Yeah all the alliance ended up in Ironforge.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:22 AM

I though thought that maybe they didn't even have AHs in other cities early on, just one per faction, and the nuetral AH in Gadgetzan.

I can't remember for sure though, it's been a long time.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #248 on: January 17, 2014, 07:35:17 AM

They were just one per faction. One in IF, one in Org. Then they put them all in cities unconnected. Nobody cared. Then they connected them to get people out of the capitals.

So yes, you were right.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:50 AM

Didn't WoW start with auction houses that weren't connected and the reaction was people just gravitated to one and used it exclusively?
No, Blizzard isn't that foolish. WoW had disconnected auctionhouses in beta but they never made it live. The game launched with a single auction house in one city per faction. Then later on they managed to develop tech to connect them and put auctionhouses in every faction's city.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #250 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:55 AM

Saying that they developed the technology to connect these virtual things does really make it sound awesome.  Someone was probably wearing dark goggles and using a tool that made sparks.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:34 AM

Saying that they developed the technology to connect these virtual things does really make it sound awesome.  Someone was probably wearing dark goggles and using a tool that made sparks.
If you say so. Someone needs to actually write code. They aren't all jerking it over bloodelf ass.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:44 AM

I really don't see them trying to build a robust medieval economic simulation, so there is no need to ditch the global auction.

They're design "goal" or idea or whatever the fuck you want to call it, is to create local economies or environments. It's a "hardcore" game so they want travel to have feeling to it. So in order to reach certain auction houses, you have to move around. There is a large subset of people that like that sort of design.

Nothing wrong with that idea.
schild
Administrator

Reply #253 on: January 17, 2014, 09:07:24 AM

If f13 was MASSIVE I'd say we should all put in like $100 bucks and pull out in the last 48 hours.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #254 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:39 AM

Not having anything is simply a cop out. Disconnected auction houses only work when you have ludicrous travel times like Eve, which themselves aren't acceptable unless you have a ludicrously large world like Eve. Didn't WoW start with auction houses that weren't connected and the reaction was people just gravitated to one and used it exclusively?

He's already said he wants to have ludicrous, EQ1 like travel times with some fast travel options between cities that you've already been too and some classes having teleport spells. So I think ludicrously large world is that they are going for.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #255 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:04 AM

I really don't see them trying to build a robust medieval economic simulation, so there is no need to ditch the global auction.

They're design "goal" or idea or whatever the fuck you want to call it, is to create local economies or environments. It's a "hardcore" game so they want travel to have feeling to it. So in order to reach certain auction houses, you have to move around. There is a large subset of people that like that sort of design.

Without a fully fleshed out economy behind it, all this amounts to a on tax casual players(time staved) by the hardcore(time abundant).  Which is fine for the groin-kicking theme of the game, but lets not pretend it will add character to the game world.

"Me am play gods"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #256 on: January 17, 2014, 09:44:13 AM

It certainly does add character to the game world, but that doesn't mean it is a better (or even good) game.  The charm of EQ zones was how the player population behaved in them - but also in how the NPCs did as well.  However, the market has clearly spoken that those aspects have so little value to players now that no one bothers designing them in.

Distinct, geographically separate auction houses can be implemented in a way to be almost a non-issue.  It become a problem if important items drop plentifully in one area with no substitutes anywhere else.  If Elf Tails are needed to craft a highly popular item and the components required drop on different sides of the world, then it is that aspect of the design that is kicking players in the nuts, not the separate auction houses themselves.  But crafting is only going to be implemented if the KS raises over $2 million so what the hell are people going to be trading in these auction houses anyway?  Brad is a huge fan of No Drop items, meaning they cannot be traded when looted.  I find it hard to believe his Vision will allow great weapons to be sold and transferred.  So I ask again, what will actually be in the auction houses?

I have never played WoW.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:07 AM

Without a fully fleshed out economy behind it, all this amounts to a on tax casual players(time staved) by the hardcore(time abundant).  Which is fine for the groin-kicking theme of the game, but lets not pretend it will add character to the game world.
Exactly. It's another way to make gameplay more punitive. I hope this game does make it to market so I don't have to interact with those recidivist masochists in the modern games I like to play.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #258 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:17 AM

Let's be fair, if there's one thing Blizzard games have taught us, it's that a central AH that has all info on it hurts your economy more than it helps if your inputs are completely indistinguishable in quality.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:46 AM

Not at all, the central auctionhouse works fine in WoW because the game is sharded into dozens of servers. Inventory size remains manageable, and the market is hugely inefficient, with prices varying by over 30-40% on a week to week basis.

It didn't work in Diablo 3 because the auction house was region-wide. The enormous inventory led to an extremely efficient market, driving prices way down. Since Diablo 3 items are freely tradable, the developers had to punch down drop rates hard in an attempt to keep good loot rare (and thus meaningful). The end result was that the only path to good loot was the auctionhouse, which short-circuited the core ARPG reward mechanism by rewarding players for accumulating gold to spend on the AH rather than getting loot drops.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:40:15 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:18 AM

Without a fully fleshed out economy behind it, all this amounts to a on tax casual players(time staved) by the hardcore(time abundant).  Which is fine for the groin-kicking theme of the game, but lets not pretend it will add character to the game world.

See, you already think they give a fuck about casual players playing their game. Which I'm sure they don't. They are aiming for a niche and they aren't shy about it.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:55 AM

He should make the auction houses not only separate, but also real auctions that require you be present to bid in real time. They can list what the lots are going to be like a day prior so people can plan to be there.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55:43 AM

Is he wanting us to all hang out in a cave in the commonlands again?  That wasn't fun no matter how nostalgic we get about it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:09 AM

Is he wanting us to all hang out in a cave in the commonlands again?  That wasn't fun no matter how nostalgic we get about it.
The answer to any "Is he wanting us to {do a thing identical to 1999 Everquest} again?" question is "Yes. Yes, he is".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #264 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:59 AM

Is he wanting us to all hang out in a cave in the commonlands again?  That wasn't fun no matter how nostalgic we get about it.

I think I spent a large portion of my college life sitting in East Commonlands tunnel hawking wares. NEVER AGAIN.

I'm actually glad he's going full retard with his vision.  Easier to dismiss and ignore.    I couldn't even play a game like EQ again if I wanted to.  There's simply no room in my life for that sort of time investment.  I spent longer looking for group in EQ than I do actually playing games now.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #265 on: January 17, 2014, 02:37:31 PM

My first trip to the EC tunnel was pretty cool- I had been sheltered and didn't see any high level characters/characters from other alignments, etc. It was cool to see them for the first time.

I sort of miss the long travel times in that sense. It was rare to see outsiders, and making a harrowing journey to a new area felt like an accomplishment. I remember my first run from the dock to the windmill in LOIO. Terrifying!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #266 on: January 17, 2014, 02:48:41 PM

Can't wait for the Alpha to start.  I'll be reporting in live with all the latest news!
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: January 17, 2014, 03:27:03 PM

Reading Rerolled on this topic makes me wish I could virtually strap on a Flamethrower and just kill everything and everyone in that thread.   How did Brad trick that one online community into thinking he was Video Game Jesus.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: January 17, 2014, 03:44:21 PM

Can't wait for the Alpha to start.  I'll be reporting in live with all the latest news!

So you actually paid $45?

Do report from the Alpha though, if serious. I'm sure it will be interesting.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:15 PM

Can't wait for the Alpha to start.  I'll be reporting in live with all the latest news!

So you actually paid $45?

Do report from the Alpha though, if serious. I'm sure it will be interesting.

He's going to get his money back if they don't pick up the pace  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Trending towards 144% of the goal-- it will fund.
Jorval

Email
Reply #271 on: January 17, 2014, 05:57:31 PM

Reading Rerolled on this topic makes me wish I could virtually strap on a Flamethrower and just kill everything and everyone in that thread.   How did Brad trick that one online community into thinking he was Video Game Jesus.

awesome, for real

Seriously, you need a gigantic bowl of popcorn to read that thread.
Also amusing is that on ANY other gaming forum the general reaction to this kickstarter was pretty much a universal MEH, while on Rerolled McQuaid is currently revered as MMOs' last hope, and Pantheon is suddenly crucial to saving the industry from impending doom.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #272 on: January 17, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

I put this into a 'Darkfall' category.  It's not a game I want to play, but it's a game I hope gets made and can stay afloat.  There is a place for the niche game.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:39 PM

awesome, for real

Also amusing is that on ANY other gaming forum the general reaction to this kickstarter was pretty much a universal MEH, while on Rerolled McQuaid is currently revered as MMOs' last hope, and Pantheon is suddenly crucial to saving the industry from impending doom.

Please, the majority of people in that thread are lurkers and star fuckers. The rest of the forum wishes him well but think he's full of shit.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:11 PM

Please, the majority of people in that thread are lurkers and star fuckers. The rest of the forum wishes him well but think he's full of shit.

I agree with your assessment.  All of the long time community members there are just kind of sitting back waiting to see what comes of all this.

The only reason why that sort of shit doesn't happen here is because this forum likes to eat star fuckers for breakfast and or intimidate lurkers into not posting.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #275 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

As a star citizen backer it's good to have something to look down upon, thanks Brad.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:18 PM

Star Citizen = Enron
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen = Mugged in alley
p0rkbelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

I want to fund this for shit and giggles.

Just like when an old roomate hire two strippers just so he could throw salami and various other deli meat at them for an hour.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:09 PM

I want to fund this for shit and giggles.

Just like when an old roomate hire two strippers just so he could throw salami and various other deli meat at them for an hour.

Wut.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 18, 2014, 03:30:14 AM

awesome, for real

Apart from the usual suspects of "WoW is Satan Incarnate and ruined everything!!!!111!! Blizzard are teh evil", of course.

(NB: Just to be clear, I'm still talking about Rerolled and not F13.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS )

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  
Jump to: