Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  (Read 327668 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:10 PM

This game will have to ship with a hammer.  Punching yourself in the nuts is so 1996. 

For as much money as they're asking for, there should be a tier in which a midget delivers your copy of the game AND hammers you in the nuts.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #211 on: January 15, 2014, 12:07:54 PM

This game will have to ship with a hammer.  Punching yourself in the nuts is so 1996. 

To start with you only have access to the ball-peen hammer.  Once you've pulverized one of your testes into a fine pink mist, you unlock the framing hammer.  After that, you're basically home-free, as you only have several thousand hours left to go before you get to sledgehammer.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #212 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:32 PM

Game has a minimap -- not hardcore enough Ohhhhh, I see.
WayAbvPar

Reply #213 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:19 PM

How about a USB-powered cock vise? Make it part of the game!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #214 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:04 PM

I wish this was still secret.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:36 PM

The first mmo to embrace remote fleshlight tech is gong to dominate this market.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #216 on: January 15, 2014, 02:27:47 PM

The first mmo to embrace remote fleshlight tech is gong to dominate this market.

Hahaha, good one. That got me. It'll replace the /pizza command.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #217 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:01 PM

I will definitely wait for release (so to speak) on that. I really don't want to be the first one to find a fleshlight bug.

Code:
To reproduce-
Find someone who still has a male member attached...

-filed from the John Bobbit Memorial ER waiting room

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 15, 2014, 05:36:57 PM

Teledildonics: The answer to the question "What would it take to get you to install Second Life?"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13:58 PM

I am sorely tempted to add this to my sig.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #220 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:11 PM

I feel like f13 should carpet bomb kick starter support about this clearly being a scam.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #221 on: January 16, 2014, 02:48:36 AM

So many Kickstarter backers have their full names and where they live listed it would almost be more fun to carpet bomb them and ask them why they hate their money so much that they're willing to throw it away. Also I just noticed that some of the guys who backed this are Corpselocker and Ashenor who run a couple of the douchier Hex guilds (also one of them backed Shroud of the Avatar and one backed Camelot Unchained).
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:13 PM

I haven't watched this yet, but apparently McQuaid has once again unzipped his brain case and pontificates further on "The Vision 3.0"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Slve6F4aM9w

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #223 on: January 16, 2014, 12:46:54 PM

Corpse runs! awesome, for real
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:08 PM

Listening to it while I work.  Just heard him say that, and that he's also not a fan of global auction houses.  THE VISION IS ALIVE AND WELL!  PRAISE JEEBUS!   why so serious?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: January 16, 2014, 01:00:57 PM

EVE players would like to tell you they aren't a fan of global auction houses either.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: January 16, 2014, 01:10:06 PM

EVE players would like to tell you they aren't a fan of global auction houses either.

EVE players are to gamers as gamers are to non-gamers.  They are the Nerd's nerd, and if CCP is quite content with their niche, so be it.  All I'm saying is that this is the third time that the Vision has been tried to be invoked into this world.  EQ and Vanguard may still be around, but they changed in response to players wanting to play a game like those two, except not as soul-shatteringly obnoxious to play.  So while McQuaid may acknowledge that this new project is going to be niche as fuck, he better be prepared for the day when there aren't enough paying customers to support "The Vision" because they don't agree/believe in it as wholeheartedly as he does.

The funny thing is that I hear Vanguard's actually pretty nice to play these days.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:19 PM

All I've got to say is that logarithmic curves really suck for trying to reach a goal.  Trends are not favoring McQuaid.  (Also so I don't have to go back a page to see how it's proceeding.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #228 on: January 16, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

Well, he did add a tier that has a reward and no limit, so it's actually theoretically possible for him to hit a stretch goal now.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #229 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:22 PM

Ha, who are those 2 idiots in travelers. Why sure I'd love to pay $10 more to be excluded from alpha.

"Me am play gods"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: January 16, 2014, 01:33:14 PM

I'll split the difference and say that they'll meet the bare minimum 800k goal, so he can at least recoup the money he spent on just trying to get this thing off the ground, but it'll be mostly on the backs of an investor or two.  There will be no stretch goals obtained.

He'll eventually cry uncle and partner with a publisher for additional monies to at least launch the product so he doesn't break the Kickstarter contract.  And when the finish product burns, fails, and get absorbed by SOE to add to their menagerie of misfit MMOs, MAYBE then he'll "get it" and resign himself to the fact that the world just isn't as nerdy as he is.  He'll then get on the Firefall bus with Mark Kern and ride off into the sunset, (hopefully) never to be heard from again.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:41 PM

EVE players are to gamers as gamers are to non-gamers.  They are the Nerd's nerd, and if CCP is quite content with their niche, so be it.  All I'm saying is that this is the third time that the Vision has been tried to be invoked into this world.  EQ and Vanguard may still be around, but they changed in response to players wanting to play a game like those two, except not as soul-shatteringly obnoxious to play.  So while McQuaid may acknowledge that this new project is going to be niche as fuck, he better be prepared for the day when there aren't enough paying customers to support "The Vision" because they don't agree/believe in it as wholeheartedly as he does.

The funny thing is that I hear Vanguard's actually pretty nice to play these days.

Eve has 500,000 paid for subscriptions ten years after launch which isn't half bad by MMO standards.

Not that I'm suggesting Pantheon will match that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:33:29 PM by palmer_eldritch »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #232 on: January 16, 2014, 02:18:45 PM

I really don't see them trying to build a robust medieval economic simulation, so there is no need to ditch the global auction.

"Me am play gods"
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:30 PM

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen will not have a global auction house, because Immersion Breaking.

If your character is in Capital City, and you want some Elf Tails from the far distant province of Windswept Isles, you are going to have to travel there and harvest them yourself, because Hard.

Alternatively, you could pay another player, who harvested them himself, or bought them from another player near the Windswept Isles, and then hauled them back to Capital City. Because Social Interaction.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: January 16, 2014, 02:54:14 PM

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen will not have a global auction house, because Immersion Breaking.

If your character is in Capital City, and you want some Elf Tails from the far distant province of Windswept Isles, you are going to have to travel there and harvest them yourself, because Hard.

Alternatively, you could pay another player, who harvested them himself, or bought them from another player near the Windswept Isles, and then hauled them back to Capital City. Because Social Interaction.

Sounds good to me.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
WayAbvPar

Reply #235 on: January 16, 2014, 03:04:32 PM

I too would like to quit my job in order to have enough time to procure Elf Tails.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #236 on: January 16, 2014, 03:07:11 PM

It does appeal to a certain type of person, but its bullshit.

My IMMERSION was already broken when I didn't permanently die after taking grievous wounds on the battlefield.
Hauling shit cross country isn't HARD, it is time consuming.
Spamming chat to sell items isn't SOCIAL INTERACTION.

I guess the upside is if this game makes it, EvE players will have someone to look down upon.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:40:14 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 16, 2014, 03:37:13 PM

I guess it makes sense in Eve because one of the things you expect to do in a spaceship game if you've ever played Elite is hauling stuff from one space station to another space station. It also ties in with Eve's PvP system. That doesn't mean it makes sense in a fantasy game with a PVE focus.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #238 on: January 16, 2014, 03:40:51 PM

I just backed the shit out of this in the name of investigative journalism and being a tool.  Hi-Ho Silverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:46 PM

I don't have a problem with no global auction house.  If done right and proper distribution of resources it can give a fun way to make the economy, trading, and exploring a real part of the game.

That being said, I don't believe Brad McQuaid has the capability to pull it off properly.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: January 16, 2014, 04:50:35 PM

I didn't listen to the podcast or watch the video or whatever, but there are several ways to interpret what a global auctionhouse actually means. One is how everybody in the thread took it; separate auctionhouses in Qeynos and Freeport. That's fucking crazy.

The alternate interpretation is to look at games like Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3 with region-wide auctions. These lead to hyper-efficient markets, driving prices way down. It ultimately corrupted D3's item-driven gameplay. GW2 isn't really about items so it worked OK there, but most prices are extremely low. Separating auctionhouses by shard, or segmenting by population, makes a lot more sense.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:26 PM

Its pretty simple, if you don't want a global auction house fine, but you better build something better.  I hate when developers remove something people don't like only to replace it with nothing, and nothing is something I don't like either.
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:37 AM

no global auction houses probably just means that said economic action will be moved to 3rd party websites.

at least, assuming enough people care about this game to actually build that website.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #243 on: January 17, 2014, 03:22:41 AM

One doesn't have to drag Eve out for this. UO didn't have a global auction house either. In fact I'd prefer it's system of rentable NPC vendors which you can stock to sell your produce. Makes location important (among other reasons).

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: January 17, 2014, 05:13:46 AM

PC controlled vendors are another option and create a completely different type of gameplay for the people who want to run them. That only really works if you have dispersed housing. If you stick them in a zone like EQ1 did, it's just an inconvenience auction house.

Not having anything is simply a cop out. Disconnected auction houses only work when you have ludicrous travel times like Eve, which themselves aren't acceptable unless you have a ludicrously large world like Eve. Didn't WoW start with auction houses that weren't connected and the reaction was people just gravitated to one and used it exclusively?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  
Jump to: