Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.5 Preview 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2.5 Preview  (Read 38166 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:05 AM

http://www.swtor.com/blog/game-update-2.5-class-changes

These aren't story spoilers, just enormous change log spoilers for class balance.

Some pretty big ones, like Operatives not being able to gain defensive benefit from cover anymore. Snipers remain the same as before in that regard.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:44 AM

I remember cover being a big deal for healing scoundrels / operatives before. It also allowed you to 'teleport' to certain cover spots, which was useful in voidstar and huttball -- I guess that'll be an option even after this?

That said, these almost all seem to be pvp changes. Is pvp that popular compared to raids / group pve? When I last played swtor (which was a while ago, before the expansion even), it was a strong contender for 'least fun pvp in a mmo ever' for me, while its pve content was much more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:22:43 AM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58:54 AM

PVP is very popular yes, from what I can tell it is probably the single most popular thing in the game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:40:51 PM

Well, I'd much rather pvp than raid, but what I liked the most was the class storylines, so right now I'm mmo-less, which isn't necessarily a bad thing heh.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:50:31 PM

For those of you who are inclined towards character name drama:

Have you ever been frustrated trying to find an available name when making a new character? We currently have many, many millions of character names across all the servers, some of which are no longer in use, and as has been frequently noted here on the forums it is difficult to find any good names. We want to flag some 36% of those characters for rename, many of which were created in the early days after launch, and free up a lot of name options for our current players. Get ready to snag that name you always wanted! Exact details are forthcoming, but here’s what you need to know now: Current Subscribers will not have any characters renamed, regardless of activity or level on that character. Period. Even on inactive accounts, the bulk of characters renamed will be under level 10, and no character level 30 or higher will be renamed. November 12th is our current target date for this.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:53 PM

Hooray, the nerf to operatives/scoundrels nerfs something I barely ever used anyway! Hooray!

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:14 PM

Ingmar, I'm sure I did something to deserve that post  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 06:03:48 AM

Noooo, my Scoundrel is getting nerfed!  Meh, I can live with it, only cowards hide behind crates anyway.  I really need to get back in this game, but GW2 and STO are taking all of my time right now.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:10:44 PM

So I started this up again. I just can't quit Korriban, for some reason. I wish I liked the rest of the game as much.

I kind of screwed myself re: my previous acct. (sorry I'm not going to admit just how stupid I was lulz) so I created a new one.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 01:31:42 PM

I really can't bring myself to play right now. Used to enjoy the PvP for all its balance problems, but I can't stand arenas, and there's no avoiding them now (short of ditching your team every time one pops).
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:32 PM

arenas are the no -rez ones? I've only been in lopsided affairs.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 02:22:47 PM

No rez, 4 player team deathmatch. Standard warzone rotation includes arenas (since 2.4) which have no matchmaking/team balancing of any kind, and you can also queue for ranked, and ranked solo arenas (the latter of which does have matchmaking). Not my cup of tea as the format really exacerbates balance issues way beyond problems evident in 8v8.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 02:37:01 PM

OTOH I don't think I've been in more than 10 WZs in SWTOR that weren't a complete steamroll for one side or the other -- and most of those 10 were near launch and/or in the lowbie bracket.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 03:53:08 PM

The only good-ish thing about arenas is they're always over pretty quickly. I'm also usually on the winning side, though, due to playing operative-style immortals. Basically whatever side lucks into one of those seems to win.

Arenas are so goddamn dumb.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 04:14:25 PM

OTOH I don't think I've been in more than 10 WZs in SWTOR that weren't a complete steamroll for one side or the other -- and most of those 10 were near launch and/or in the lowbie bracket.

The lowbie brackets are far far superior to the level cap bracket. The likely hood of there being a pug vs premade in the lowbie bracket is dramatically lower.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 10:18:18 AM

I'm amazed. I logged in for the first time in over a year and actually got the name "Reg" back. Not on my sith warrior who originally had it but on my level 1 bounty hunter. I guess I`d better go to work on him to get him high enough level that awful things won't happen to him. This would have to happen when I'm distracted by XCOM and X3 of course.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 01:07:28 PM

I did get one back, sort of...my jugg Haruspex...but it's on my alt jedi undecided
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

Did you get "Sky" back? Losing all my names infuriated me. I had no intention of ever coming back to the game up until now. I'd like to finish leveling my sith warrior but all of his skill points have been refunded and I have no idea how to spend them or how to use the 9 million buttons I'll have to deal with.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:24:42 PM

Nope. It's funny, with all the nonsense of mmo, I'd have been subbed the whole time if only they hadn't yanked my names. For the most part, I really like the game.

And I found the serious issue with some of the funky characters I had to use to preserve some of the names...I can't type them, so I can't send that character any mail (my jugg/synthweaver).
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 04:01:36 PM

Ouch that hurts. Is there an inexpensive way to rename them? My Sith is the only one I put any real time and effort into.  All the rest I just created on day one to lock up the names I wanted. Still "Reg" was really the only important one.

I'd have stayed subscribed too but the clownshoes way they handled the server merges just pissed me off no end.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 04:06:44 PM

Inexpensive, not particularly. AFAIK the only way is via the cartel market, unless you could get yourself reported for a bad name somehow.  why so serious?

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 05:03:07 PM

They gave out one free rename but I think that might have only been to people subscribed at the time.

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 11:20:16 PM

I had a bunch of cartel credit stored up from whatever promos whenever. Took about half of them, but I deleted the Jedi and changed my jugg's name, so that's cool at least. That they took it and it would've cost me money to get it back...meh.

Is there some kind of Legacy bank? If not, I should probably look into making a vanity guild to get access to a shared bank for my alts. Pain in the ass trying to manage crafting mats across a few characters.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 11:47:22 PM

If you friend your own alts I think it'll auto-complete their names when you start to type them in the box to mail things to them, but I'm not 100% on that.  That won't work if you're trying to mail things cross-faction though, but neither would a vanity guild.

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:31 AM

My fiancee thinks I'm setting myself up for frustration, but I think I broke through some wall of not giving any fucks about pugs. I was in one terrible pug for about an hour the other night because it was so entertaining to see how bad they would fail. Every damned one of them ran into aggro range of other groups repeatedly and no amount of discussion led to a smooth game plan. Eventually we did finish the heroic, so there's that.

Then the next night I join two others for a 4+ and one says 'let's just see how we do!'. Well, ok. I don't think anyone said a word the entire time, nobody broke my CC, everyone stayed on target and we smoothly finished. I think everyone was surprised gauging by the post-quest chatter.

Last night, join a group for a 4+ and one guy dies three times traveling to the group, by falling off various things (including the elevator to the quest area). We talk specs and one guy doesn't know what a spec is "I'm an assassin" There is quick talk amongst two of us about roles, no tank no healer...but given no tank or healer the night before I'm game. I do mention I'm getting a bad feeling about this. I say we skip the bonus and one guy says "Nay, I need that"...forgoing the elizabethan verbiage, I mentally shrug and ready myself. Falling man dies one more time and we try to find out how the other assassin is spec'd..."I'm an assassin!" I've got a bad feeling about this.

Fighting droids, so I can't Mind Trap...but the dps agent has launched in already anyway. So I cc one of the golds and nope, everyone is attacking a different target. When the agent goes for the guy I just cc'd (after I watched him attacking a different mob), I just let them know I can't function in that environment and bolt. Two were already down and the third went down as I ran. Took maybe 5 seconds to wipe (except me, though I miss my old feign death from EQ).

Queue "LF1M - healer" just as a healer LFG's for the heroic. I pm her and warn her what had just gone down, she thanks me. Then I continue soloing and the agent shows up and generally douches around snagging clickies while I fight the mobs.

Oh, mmo. Thankfully I am in a place where it entertains me now.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:48 AM

Sky: I have a well geared 55 op healer if you ever need/want to do heroics.  I have a 50 smuggler healer as well that I could get to 55 in a day or two.  The issue is getting on the same server.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03:33 AM

It sounds like he's talking about the Heroic 2/4 outdoor quests, not hardmode instances. What server are you on Nebu?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 11:23:30 AM

I'm level 22 or whatever. I don't know anything about dungeons, because they're generally not worth putting up with pugs that long.

I've done the first dungeon for each faction a couple times, but only a couple after that, and those I just rode someone's tails through it. Too bad the good gear is all shut behind such nonsense.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:49 PM

It sounds like he's talking about the Heroic 2/4 outdoor quests, not hardmode instances. What server are you on Nebu?

Jedi Covenant. 

My bad on the outdoor stuff.  I never bothered with it.  The FP's are pretty easily doable with 3 people and a companion if your tank knows what they are doing.  Hell, we've even had a companion tank the instances with a decent healer. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Double xp starting today until 2 Dec if people are interested in levelling alts.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 01:42:31 PM

I'm level 22 or whatever. I don't know anything about dungeons, because they're generally not worth putting up with pugs that long.

I've done the first dungeon for each faction a couple times, but only a couple after that, and those I just rode someone's tails through it. Too bad the good gear is all shut behind such nonsense.

Actually, it's not. They've added a bunch of stuff at level 55 to get you geared up for the latest operation they added that doesn't require more than two people (and you only really need two people for the end's heroic quest). It's a nice quest series you can do in one night, has a decent storyline (although I admit the VERY end of it is in the aforementioned operation), and by the end you have a suit of just-shy-of-top-gear purpz. They also added two flashpoints that in non-heroic mode is meant to be as easily done as Esseles (in that Ingmar and I duo it, and the group finder will just shove four people into it regardless of role, and it's doable, although if you're duoing, it's probably easiest if one of the real people is a healer OR a real tank) that also drop decent purple BoP stuff (which is nice for kitting out alts or companions).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:09:59 PM by Sjofn »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 01:48:50 PM

Yeah except for the stuff you only would ever need to do the harder versions of raids pretty much everything is achievable otherwise. Leveling dungeons are a way to get blues in greater volume - although you have to deal with bad loot rolling etiquette sometimes, so maybe not - but not the only way to get them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:49 PM

I'll just dump my old lady and find one who plays TOR, then.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 02:08:55 PM

If you're already pugging heroic quests, ain't no need to stop doing that at 55 is my point! The Oricon quest for easy purpz ends with a heroic 2 outdoor quest. The flashpoints I mentioned are more to reassure you that they're easy enough to brave pugging those too.  why so serious?

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 09:38:00 AM

This double XP weekend is the shit! My buddies and I went back to this game for a bit, rolling Empire alts, and we are leveling up just fine simply by doing each others story missions with each other. The three of us all bought a sub, because despite some of the shamelessness of the F2P stuff, we felt they really earned it.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.5 Preview  
Jump to: