Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  (Read 81966 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:21 AM

I haven't liked the 'end game' of any mmo since UO/SWG. Horribly unfun. So none of the things you list matters a whit to me.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:48 AM

I'm with Bunk on the button issue. I  signed in a few weeks ago and discovered that all of my skills had been reset. The idea of figuring out what skills were worth having and then having to assign them to 4 hotbars just sucked the enthusiasm out of me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:57 AM

And conversely, I think Neverwinter makes the short list of 'worst mechanics I've ever endured in an MMO' for me.

Anyway, SWTOR's endgame is WoW's endgame with a few tweaks. If you don't like one you won't like the other.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:14 AM

Anyway, SWTOR's endgame is WoW's endgame with a few tweaks. If you don't like one you won't like the other.

While they do have the same premise, the WoW endgame is much more polished and interesting.  Granted, Blizzard did have a few more years to perfect it. 

I took 6 months off and came back to grind to 55.  After hitting 55, I found that the dungeons still had many of the same bugs and issues that they had 6 months ago.  That was rather disappointing.  SWTOR seems to be on life support rather than progressing in a meaningful way.  They just don't have the resources to fix old issues and seem more interested in introducing new grinds as filler. 

I enjoyed the leveling experience in SWTOR quite a bit, but the game just doesn't have and sustain to it.  A shame since they poured so much money into it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:44 AM

Interesting. I don't remember the last time an instance bugged out on me.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 16, 2014, 11:12:57 AM

Regarding buttons, every spec has several they can essentially leave off their bars entirely, or relegate to a side bar where they'll be used once in a blue moon. It's usually about 2-2.5 bars of buttons you'll actively use in combat. If you have questions about a particular spec I can probably help.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 16, 2014, 11:25:17 AM

The assassin's bars weren't too bad and there was a slew I put off on a sidebar and maybe used a couple times and two or three I ditched entirely (usually where an advanced class skill superseded a base class skill). And that's a pretty positional class that's also a bit squishy so I was pretty active with a lot of different stuff. The Powertech was pretty awesome for not needing a lot of buttons, but it also kept things pretty limited as far as creativity went, too.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:00 PM

Can you get them down to an 8-button spec?  I'll try it again if so.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:23 PM

If you're just leveling with a companion character, you could probably get away with 8 buttons on a lot of specs. You'd be eaten alive in PVP and probably too ineffective to do dungeons past the midlevels, but if you just want to see the story content you could pretty easily manage it without using your whole kit I think.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 16, 2014, 02:08:17 PM

If that's the case maybe I will give it a try because I honestly couldn't care less about any group content at all.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:35 PM

More realistically, you would probably want a bar of buttons you push for fighting and another bar with 'oh shit' stuff like defensive cooldowns, CC break, etc.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #81 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Yeah, if you want a class that can get by in solo content with few buttons, Powertech/Vanguard is the way to go. You could probably just use three or four if you really wanted to cut down. Stay out of warzones though.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:37 PM

Tradeoff is those are probably the 2 worst stories, mind you. Neither is outright bad, but they don't rise to the level of the others.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:10 PM

Ingmar giving out wrong opinions again I see.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #84 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00:38 PM

The trooper storyline is boring, Fordel. Deal with it!

Also, luckton, the crew doesn't get "tossed out" with Starfighter. Click on the crew button on the hangar. Why hello, it's your companions, hoping you'll pick them to be your copilot, or at least pick them for their passives over those stupid ol' default crew people.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:24 PM

Powertech is a badass with a healing companion right off the bat, I could solo champions regularly. As Ingmar says, the story is pretty meh. I was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS so many times in the Assassin line, I'm really glad I popped back in the game.

And for most elite (gold) mobs, you'll probably want to use your interrupts and whatnot. I found with both PT and Assassin there were a couple tough fights with golds even so, but if you're not as solo-oriented as I am it's no big deal with a buddy.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #86 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:39 PM

Tank assassin doesn't really need that many buttons. I was super, super lazy on mine, using about 5-6 unless the fight actually got hard.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 01:18:03 AM

Been leveling a sniper and you can do well there without using too many buttons. I agree with the earlier statement though about high level Juggernauts being too hard to come back to after a long time off.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 05:52:55 AM

I know it's not the same as reducing the number of buttons to 8, but the game does differentiate between the 1-0 keys and the numpad keys.  So you can actually have 10 abilities + 15 ohshit or miscellaneous on the numpad.  Otherwise I just love the G510 keyboard, as you get another block of keys for the left hand, so that's another 18 abilities easily accessible.

The user interface lets you reshape the bars from horizontal to vertical to 3x4 blocks, or 4x5 or 4x6 (two adjacent bars with some spots hidden), so they can actually visually match the look of your numpad or blocks of keys.  Makes it easier to remember what to push.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 06:44:31 AM

And don't forget q, shift-q, e, shift-e, etc. Most of my ohshit stuff lives on those kind of keys.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #90 on: January 20, 2014, 09:37:31 AM

And I got lured back in...

Going to try running the Imperial Agent through as a medic. Going to see if its possible to let the computer tank for me (Kaliyo) while I keep her alive. Never played a healer in one of these, so I figure it would be better to practice on the AI first rather than piss off other players with my ineptitude.

Oh, and I must admit, the populations are surprisingly high.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 10:26:50 AM

Going to try running the Imperial Agent through as a medic. Going to see if its possible to let the computer tank for me (Kaliyo) while I keep her alive. Never played a healer in one of these, so I figure it would be better to practice on the AI first rather than piss off other players with my ineptitude.

I have an endgame geared Scoundrel and Operator.  Both are amazing healers for FP and PvP, but for solo questing you will want to gouge your eyes out.  It's very safe to let Kalio tank, but it's SO FUCKING SLOW.  If I were to level a scoundrel/Op now, I'd go full dps/stealth spec and enjoy all of the get-out-of-jail-free abilities when I have tough fights.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 11:52:54 AM

I've been playing my Scoundrel the last couple nights. Having just come off evil submit-to-me-or-die Yuggoth the assassin, I wanted something a bit sillier, and my fiancee's groans at my 70's stache and chops Scoundrel's lame pickup lines is perfect. Also wanted something tech rather than force, but with the very handy solo stealth options as Heroic 2+ was quite soloable with a stealth dps assassin+tank companion.

I also opted for Biochem this time around to smooth some of the issues I had with Yuggoth's lack of healing outside Khem's AE (whcih would generally be toggled off for Heroics where I used more CC).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 12:28:28 PM

I really love the Smuggler storyline, it might be the best of all. Caveat being I have yet to get around to Agent, I was saving it for last since everyone says it is so good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 01:21:08 PM

I always either [Flirt] or go with the "But where is my ship?" variant, it's a very strong character, as was the assassin imo (kneel or die, even when that got me into trouble).

Zebekor (because I lost Zebulon  Ohhhhh, I see.)

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

At first I was really into the personal story until I kept running into times when none of the options matched what my bountyhunter would choose.  The nonsensical morality behind darkside/lightside choices was very frustrating.

"Me am play gods"
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 02:04:12 PM

I generally agree, with the exception of DS Inq . I usually play paladin types so I went from  ACK! to  why so serious?

I started my agent mostly DS but ended up neutral with 7kish in both. I think it fit well with the story.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 02:24:36 PM

So are any of these random packs I'm seeing worth spending Cartel Bucks on, or is there something specific I should be using them on?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 02:26:02 PM

You can see what the possible things inside each pack are from the Collections interface. Also before you spend cartel points on anything, check the GTN to see how much it costs there, because almost everything you can buy with cartel points you can turn around and sell on the GTN for credits. You might be better off buying things that sell for a high price, then using credits to buy the unlocks you want or whatever.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 03:15:51 PM

I really love the Smuggler storyline, it might be the best of all. Caveat being I have yet to get around to Agent, I was saving it for last since everyone says it is so good.

Was it the time you walked into a trap, or the other time you walked into a trap, or that time you fell for the trap?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 03:49:53 PM

I have an endgame geared Scoundrel and Operator.  Both are amazing healers for FP and PvP, but for solo questing you will want to gouge your eyes out.  It's very safe to let Kalio tank, but it's SO FUCKING SLOW.  If I were to level a scoundrel/Op now, I'd go full dps/stealth spec and enjoy all of the get-out-of-jail-free abilities when I have tough fights.

That's why you don't heal a tank companion, you heal a DPS companion. I've been leveling a punchy scoundrel and I preferred leveling as a healer. Dungeons pop faster when I feel like doing those, I have a lot more variety for who I hang out with companion-wise, and I'm immortal (and still get those get-out-of-jail abilities).

Sounding like I'm slapping a side of beef every time I hit someone is pretty funny, though.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 20, 2014, 05:18:37 PM

And don't forget q, shift-q, e, shift-e, etc. Most of my ohshit stuff lives on those kind of keys.
Y'all seem to forget I have old-woman reflexes.  Modifier keys and the num-pad aren't a real solution for me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 22, 2014, 07:37:35 AM

Just to let everyone in on a secret...

Mouse clicking works fine for everything beyond your top 3 or 4 abilities in any context other than the super-fuck-off-stupid-hard mode dungeons that you don't play anyway.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 22, 2014, 07:50:07 AM

Mouse clicking works fine for everything beyond your top 3 or 4 abilities in any context other than the super-fuck-off-stupid-hard mode dungeons that you don't play anyway.

It doesn't work well in PvP...  unless you have cat-like reflexes.

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 22, 2014, 11:09:24 AM

Even in hard mode dungeons you can click all the stuff outside the 1-10 keys that are your core abilities. Ground PVP is really the only place you need keybinds to be ahead of the game. The only PVP I play at this point is the fun spaceship kind where it doesn't matter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  
Jump to: