Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  (Read 81967 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:21 PM

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:45:07 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

Looks pretty sweet to me.  I'm glad they didn't rush it and actually expanded on ship customization.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:04:15 PM

I wonder how sticky it will be with people. I know lots of people who have basically been bitching for a new X-Wing vs TieFighter since forever and a day. Will it provide that for those people or will something be wrong?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:10:41 PM

I'm guessing it won't be a simulator in the same way that game was but who knows at this point.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:26 PM

That video doesn't even make it clear whether it's free flight or if it's what the game currently has (pre-programmed flight path, with the ability to shoot your weapons at where the mouse is on screen).  And even if it's free flight, Freelancer-style mouse control is crap (at least for me - I need joystick support, dammit).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 04:50:14 PM

It's free flight 12v12 areanas with some battlezones and other shit that isn't very descriptive.

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed by this type of space expansion.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 05:05:27 PM

Yep. This is not the space exploration/combat I was looking for.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:22 PM

Going to the Cantina Tour thing on Wednesday, I will report back if there are any tidbits of interesting info.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:29:05 PM

You just watch yourself.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 04:31:12 PM

Kendo class has me prepared for that, man.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

Ingmar's not going to let me ask any questions about PvP, because I can't phrase them without swearing.  Heartbreak

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 04:40:57 PM

Can you just take the pvp dev and beat him to a bloody pulp with your giant truckasaurus hands?  You won't have to ask him anything!

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:23 PM

Honestly the only thing about SWTOR PvP that really bothers me at the moment is the Fucking Arenas being in the random WZ rotation. Everything else is along the lines of "eh, whatever." I think they should get over their stupid NO CROSS-SERVER QUEUES thing for WZs at least, because the more people you have in a PvP pool the better, but it's not a dealbreaker for me by any stretch. I don't especially love premades either, but I can't see them being able to even start to solve that before taking care of the cross-server queue thing.

I admit part of this is simply me being one of the good-at-PvP classes. I like PvP at level 55 just fine, but I'm a scoundrel healer. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much as a vanguard (given I don't even like it in the lowbie bracket, where I am significantly more powerful than I'd be at 55).

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 05:22:30 PM

I'm sure they put the arenas in the rotation because they know that, like with the ranked foolishness, only a very small but vocal minority wanted arenas so if they didn't put it in the rotation they'd never be used enough to warrant the time spent making them.

In fairness to TOR pvp though, as much as I think they still need to work on some class balance, it's stellar in when compared to what passes for 'balance' in GW2.

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:59 PM

Well, that just hooks back into the whole "stop with the server-specific queues arrrrrgh."

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57:47 PM

SWTOR pvp is something I don't "get". It was passable in the first month or so of launch (before it morphed into 'war hero gear vs. rank 10 noob'), but it wasn't very good to begin with -- the ONLY warzone that was somewhat interesting to play was Huttball, and that relied entirely on the number of gimmick classes you had (enemy pulls, friendly pulls, sprints, etc). My personal litmus test - admittedly, a pretty low bar - is "would I rather be solo-queuing random BGs in WOW?" and the last few times I tried SWTOR pvp, the answer was 'yes'. Even when we were winning because I lucked out with a steamroll premade on our side, or when I teamed up with a couple of friends on my operative and pugstomped 3-4 lowbie WZs in a row effortlessly.

And yet, the playerbase apparently loves warzones and plays them all the time. I DON'T UNDERSTAND

(I play a vanguard and a healing sage, if that affects anything; the last time I tried a few WZs was just 2 weeks ago)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:23 PM

I just wish I could skip Huttball, I'd pvp a lot more without that in the rotation.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 11:02:21 PM

I love the PvP, but I can't explain why, any more than I can explain why I love <insert game feature here>. I find it fun, and it generally challenges me in a way I enjoy. My favorite is lolpylons, in part because no one understands the scoring system for it.  why so serious? I play scoundrel/operative healer in 55 PvP (although not much lately, there's nothing I want to buy and the queue is usually slower than the lower level ones), and a wider variety in the lower brackets (sorc/sage, merc/commando, a sad vanguard I only sort of like although now that I have grappling hook it's a lot funnier, etc).

I liked doing random BGs in WoW too (holy paladin for those, mostly), but the gear gap feels less ridiculous in SWToR to me (although as a holy paladin, I hardly ever got truly roflstomped in WoW's PvP for whatever reason). So that helps. I fucking hated WSG, though, more than I hate, say, Voidstar. And I hate Voidstar rather a lot. I do kinda wish SWTOR had a WZ or two that held more people (even if it was just 16 vs 16), it's easier to get your footing in PvP when you have a bigger crowd to get lost in.

I do think a big part of it is class choice, though. I love my scoundrel more than I have ever loved a class. I love playing him doing anything. And no WoW class plays like him.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:27 AM

I don't doubt that class plays a role in WZ fun factor, but my main gripe is that I just don't feel like whatever I'm doing makes a difference. Considering that the team sizes are so tiny, this seems a bit counterintuitive... I suspect it is because a premade - or even just a 2-3man team - can basically win any WZ by themselves as opposed to WOW's 10-15man BGs, where I frequently see up to 5man groups from the same server/guild, but it is rare that they can completely dominate a game.
  • Huttball: do we have enough of the gimmick builds that can run the ball or gank the enemy carrier via pulls and whatnot? If so, yay, let's 6-0 them. If not, whatever. At least the gameplay is different and an undergeared team can win this if they are more organized (fat chance in a pug).
  • Voidstar: If either team is overgeared enough to wipe the other team between two rez waves, the game is over before it started. Otherwise, do we have the AOE to keep the other team from ever planting a bomb (and healers to keep the AOErs alive)? If yes, cue long slog ending with a win; if not, cue long slog ending with a loss. Maybe try another half-hearted push with a stealth cover when rezzing later that will probably fail anyway. It's like Strand of the Ancients, only worse. (and that... is quite an achievement)
  • Civil war: Does the team split up appropriately and do we have better-geared people to wipe their center zerg? If so, we win and watch the other team futilely try to capture nodes without any success for the rest of the game. If not, same thing, only with the roles reversed. I've seen more dynamism in terrible Battle of Gilneas pugs (which is basically the same setup).
  • Novare: Same as civil war.
  • Hypergates: Do we have enough healers (or any at all) in mid? Can a group of ninja cappers flip the enemy gate? If yes, yay. If not, boo.
Haven't played the others.

WOW random BGs have a lot of problems, and gear is just a small part of it (though ironically it's less of a problem now than it ever was in its lifetime). There are AFKers, there are bots with their simple scripts running from nodeA to nodeB, and yeah, there are premades (rare, compared to swtor). But in the long run, the chances of me being able to actually do something / be useful / actually have an effect on the game's outcome is way, way, way higher in a random WOW BG than a SWTOR WZ. And that's without getting into the entire 'get 2-shot through cooldowns if a lightsaber melee class decides I need to die' thing...

e: to dial back on the negativity a bit, I DID enjoy WZs in SWTOR in the first month or so (it really was a pretty decent DIKUpvp experience when it wasn't plagued by constant premades and horrible gear issues)... if I didn't, I wouldn't be checking on it occasionally and/or writing long diatribes like this one. :p
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:56:10 AM by Zetor »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 02:46:55 AM

See, I always, always, always feel like I make a difference in the WZs. Again, this probably goes back to the class I play. I am, if I may toot my own horn, a fucking awesome operative/scoundrel. I heal my non-existent balls off, and I am really goddamn hard to kill (until I finally get marked and 6 opposing players beeline for me everytime I unstealth ... but then they're spending time bothering me instead of doing something else). In WoW it would depend on the BG ... but I could heal my balls off as my paladin as well. And that always, to me, feels like it makes a big difference (except in the 40-man BGs).

Yeah, the WZs require people to know the strategy of the WZ. I don't find this to be a bad thing. I found the WoW BGs fairly easy to see where the wind would blow as well when I was doing it a lot (I haven't been in one in over a year, though). In both games, it basically comes down to "Is my team full of derps? If so, can they be herded to victory?"

Maybe it's your server, I dunno.

PS: I fucking hate bots and afkers more than basically anything. And I know they finally broke the whole twink game in WoW, but I found that a MILLION times more infuriating than the premade thing, which does happen on Ebon Hawk but just not that much in the lowbie brackets. And when it does, you can lol at how sad they are to make premades for the 10-29 bracket.  awesome, for real

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 05:34:32 AM

I also almost exclusively play healers in MMO pvp (resto shaman in WOW, cleric in RIFT); I'm very used to being public enemy #1! With good kiting and CC work I can usually survive even against groups of 3-4 enemies (while keeping my team up) on my shaman and could even do the same on my sage while leveling as well -- it's not like I'm a terrible healer or anything. Or at least I don't think I am. awesome, for real

My experience is mostly from an undergeared healing sage POV in the 50 bracket and then later in the 30-54 one. I mean, I could outheal everyone else on both teams AND keep critical targets stunned / CC'd*... but all I did was help a steamrolling group steamroll harder, or just make the hopelessly-outclassed group slightly less hopelessly outclassed (we still lost by a large margin).

As it is, in my experience the first 60-90 seconds always defined how the WZ would end, with very very few exceptions. IMO bigger team sizes would help mix things up; I don't necessarily mean AV/IOC-scale stuff (which isn't very fun in WOW either), but 12-16 people would be a good number. Ditto with the maps; Arathi Basin is a hundred times better than Gilneas because 5 nodes vs 3 adds a lot of complexity -- turtling 3 isn't always the right answer, and there are many ways to recover from being 3-capped, etc etc.

* That is, when I wasn't busy getting 2-shot in a stun by some dude with a red lightsaber. why so serious?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:49 AM

My experience is mostly from an undergeared healing sage POV in the 50 bracket and then later in the 30-54 one.

That's it right there. 

Play a scoundrel healer with decent gear in pvp.  You will affect the outcome of the match in a more profound way.  Sage healers just are too squishy and lack the mobility to get the job done.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 06:14:14 AM

I do kinda wish SWTOR had a WZ or two that held more people (even if it was just 16 vs 16), it's easier to get your footing in PvP when you have a bigger crowd to get lost in.

I'm fairly sure the reason they don't have larger WZs is because the game engine would have a problem with it.

I think my biggest problem with pvp in TOR is that in general they decided to lean on healing too much when they balanced the classes.  Healing is really powerful so DPS has to be really powerful to try to get through the healing so if you're without a healer you just get murdered really, really fast.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:37 AM

I am surprised you had the same experience in 30-54 that you did in the 50 bracket, Zetor. My experience is generally that the gear-stomping scenario really only comes into play at the cap.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:48 AM

Don't wear 'pvp' gear unless you actually have the top end pvp gear. The way the bolster system works is it checks if armor has expertise on it, if no, bolster, if yes, don't bolster.

I doesn't care HOW MUCH expertise though, so if you wear your old level 50 pvp gear into a warzone, your gonna have a bad time.  why so serious?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 12:28:23 PM

Ingmar: To be fair, most of the stomping (going both ways btw, but it wasn't much more fun to be on the winning side) was when the cap was still at 50 (the Crazy Adventures of A Healer In Recruit Gear after the release of Kaon 1, the Section X quest hub thing, and then shortly before the mini-xpac release), but I did get a few games in 2 weeks ago with very similar outcomes (played 3 games total in 30-54 for 2 losses and 1 win -- all of them really lopsided)
Don't wear 'pvp' gear unless you actually have the top end pvp gear. The way the bolster system works is it checks if armor has expertise on it, if no, bolster, if yes, don't bolster.

I doesn't care HOW MUCH expertise though, so if you wear your old level 50 pvp gear into a warzone, your gonna have a bad time.  why so serious?
That sounds like... a not really well thought-out system, but yeah, that's exactly what I did. My gear was like... Recruit MK1 with battlemaster bracers? Or something like that.  awesome, for real

That does explain some of the  ACK!, at least!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 12:37:57 PM

Yea, the bolster system has some... issues  why so serious?

But yea, if you were wearing the old blue recruit gear in the 30-54 bracket, everyone else was up leveled to 55 stats with a large amount of expertise (the pvp stat), while you were wearing level 50 blues with proportionally jack and shit for expertise in comparison. Like any amount of expertise will prevent bolstering, even from a saber crystal. If you want to lowbie pvp, just wear normal level appropriate gear.

Heck if you want to Level cap PvP, you're probably better off in your pve gear until you get a full pvp suit saved up.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 09:07:38 PM

I just wanted to add that the character that I had the most fun with in pvp was my shadow tank, although I really felt gimped in terms of damage, at least I could defend really well. I liked pvp at the beginning because it gave tons of xp and I didn't want to do pve solo. Towards the end, it became less fun because the two sides were poorly matched.

I started playing again recently and I've gotten facerolled in arenas for my troubles. Not sure why I bothered lol.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

So we went to the Cantina thing, which was nice. We wound up talking Blaine Christine for like a half hour. At one point he asked if any of us had done the new arenas yet, all perky-like. And Ingmar basically MADE me break the poor man's heart. I reluctantly (but tactfully!) said that I had, and I really kind of don't like they're part of the random scrub rotation, because random deathmatches are my least favorite thing to do, even when I'm winning. He seemed sympathetic to my plight, at least. And I didn't curse at him!

The starfighter thing is ... I think it might be fun? The problem is that it's really overwhelming to just jump into, but I am under the impression that that's what you gotta do. Jeff Hickman told me that it usually takes three or four rounds for people to start to get the hang of it enough to not feel overwhelmed from what they've seen. I did manage to kill people and help take objectives in the second round, at least. The first round I opened up by almost immediately flying into something and dying.  why so serious?

Ingmar says he will post his impressions tomorrow and I promised not to steal his thunder too much, so that's all you get for now.

Wait no, one other thing: There's not going to be any joystick/controller support, although they did say if the playerbase is really screaming for it, they'll probably try to figure something out if they can. That doesn't bother me, because I am pretty sure I'd suck regardless, but I know that's something people really wanted to know.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 06:16:23 AM

I should have said this before you went to talk to them but oh well!  In a recent poll on the forums (started by a dev mind you), 'do more class stories' was the number 1 requested thing last I checked.  Did they say anything about picking those up again?

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 10:46:15 AM

I should have said this before you went to talk to them but oh well!  In a recent poll on the forums (started by a dev mind you), 'do more class stories' was the number 1 requested thing last I checked.  Did they say anything about picking those up again?

They didn't talk about that in specific no, there was a lot of talk about how they rank stuff based on demand, etc., though. The things they hear about over and over again that they mentioned were: hood toggle, guild capital ships, dual spec/gear swapping. All that stuff is on their list but no promises were made. The capital ships thing got more talk time than anything else, I think that's the one they hear about the most.

-----

Anyway, I went in pretty apathetic about the space thing but after getting to play it, I'm pretty impressed with it. One thing I found surprising was how playable it was with KB/M - which is good because it isn't going to have controller support (though they got asked about that a whole lot so it is probably on the radar.)

So, summary of what it is:

- 12 vs. 12 PVP arena thing. There are 2 maps to start with (a space one with shipyards and asteroids and a flying-around-mesas-on-Makeb one), each has 3 objectives with turrets; you capture the objectives by blowing up all the turrets and staying near the objective to flip it to your side, both sides accumulate points based on owning objectives and possibly for kills, not sure about that last bit. I believe a 3rd map is coming later and also a related flashpoint for the non-space lovers.

- Gameplay is reminiscent of X-Wing or Wing Commander type games. W/S accelerate brake, A/D roll left right, you steer/shoot with the mouse in a fairly clever way I think - you get a leading reticle to help you aim at moving targets as well. There's regular pew pew guns and lock-on-for-a-certain-amount-of-time-to-fire-missiles, etc. There are also some cooldown type things on the 1-4 buttons, and you can put extra power to shields/guns/engines, etc.

- There are 3 ship 'roles' to start with, they come in different variants with different special abilities - scouts, strike fighters, and gunships. Scouts are speedy and turn faster, strike fighters are pretty much your standard X-wing type thing, and gunships are kind of a sniper/support type role. I was not able to really grok the gunship at first when I tried it. A 4th ship class (bombers - still NDAed so who knows about them) is coming in February. All in all I think they said there are 15 total variants at start.

- All this stuff is unlocked with a resource called 'requisition' - it comes in 2 types, ship requisition, which can only be used on the ship you use to earn it, and fleet requisition, which you can use on anything. Stuff you can unlock - ships, ship equipment, crew members (you can use all your ground crew plus some other guys it seems to give you automatically, but you can also unlock crew from other classes so if you want M1-4X as your co-pilot on every class or something, you could do that - does not unlock him for ground use though, for that you're still stuck with your regular dudes), paint jobs, etc. etc. At first glance there appears to be a shit-ton of customization available, but I didn't have a ton of time to play with that part of the interface. Side note: they did a bunch of new sound work with the voice actors for all the companions for this, although I don't know that it is going to be anything more than them yelling at you when your ship gets shot and such.

- They did do some vague hinting that a PVE thing was possible down the road; they did PVP first because the demand was higher and the bar to entry was lower, because they didn't have to do stuff like AI on top of making their MMO engine do a space shooter.

It's apparently going to be on the PTS the next two(?) weekends for subscribers I believe so it is worth checking out if you are one, I don't think anyone else can get on the PTS.

They also gave us thumb drives full of images and stuff, if I get a chance I'll put those up but I bet if you check the official forums someone already has.

Also: free food, free (good!) beer/wine, and I got to give Hickman shit about the left axe nerf in DAOC, so that was fun. Worth going to one of these if they come nearby and you have any interest in the game.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:18 AM

Wait, you got Hickman cornered and you gave him grief about Left Axe and not the forever missing Evade I for Thanes?  why so serious?

Over and out.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 10:57:33 AM

I'll reactivate (at least for a month  awesome, for real) if they add dual spec. srsly!

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 10:59:35 AM

By dual spec do you mean switching trees or switching advance classes (e.g. sentinel and guardian) on the fly? Cuz I want both.  why so serious?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  
Jump to: