Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  (Read 81958 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 11:00:07 AM

Wait, you got Hickman cornered and you gave him grief about Left Axe and not the forever missing Evade I for Thanes?  why so serious?

It was a hard choice, but I figured the left axe thing would play better for the room.  awesome, for real

By dual spec do you mean switching trees or switching advance classes (e.g. sentinel and guardian) on the fly? Cuz I want both.  why so serious?

The former, but I wouldn't hold my breath for either one based on the way they talked about that particular idea.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:37 PM

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:50 PM

I should have said this before you went to talk to them but oh well!  In a recent poll on the forums (started by a dev mind you), 'do more class stories' was the number 1 requested thing last I checked.  Did they say anything about picking those up again?

For what it's worth, it was only people who worked on the space crap there (plus the CM guy), so even had that been asked (I considered asking something along those lines myself), I'm pretty sure they would've been like "uhhhh" and then a likely "we're aware people really, really want that" from the CM dude.

God Save the Horn Players
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 12:22:24 PM

Oh, also, one of the suggestions they actually seemed a lot more receptive to was the guy who asked if they could pretty please make it less annoying/expensive to swap your mods from one piece of armor to another, probably because (from Hickman's reaction anyway) it would be easier to do than most of the other stuff mentioned, it's a lot more obvious a lot of people would use that than some other stuff mentioned, and because they know they'd probably sell even more shit off the cartel market if people didn't have to do a bunch of busy work to change their outfit again.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 02:26:07 PM

Have some actual gamplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGVTqrBmTM

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 03:17:19 PM

Looks better than I was expecting.  We'll see how it plays, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 09:38:53 AM

Looks like fail.  Think about this from a flight combat sim perspective.  If you happen to get a maneuverable enemy on your six, you'll never shake them.  Ever. 

How is that fun?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 09:57:08 AM

You're aware it's a team scenario, right?  If you have a slow, non-maneuverable ship it's up to your teammates to protect your six.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:17 AM

You're aware it's a team scenario, right?  If you have a slow, non-maneuverable ship it's up to your teammates to protect your six.

You're missing the point.  Even if the enemy has the same maneuverability, they win simply by the virtue of getting behind you.  Now it takes two people to remove the one giving the enemy a man advantage.   Flight sims get around this issue but employing speed management (dive to gain speed, clime to lose speed, drag, flaps, etc).  These won't be in play during space combat.  If you can't change the outcome of a 1v1 engagement without requiring the need of a teammate, then positional advantage will snowball quickly during a match.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 06:25:32 PM

I've watched a whopping single video here, but I do feel genre-conversant enough to make the sweeping statement, "space sims ain't flight sims." There's no gravity or lift/resistance, but other factors come into play:

Obstructions on the battlefield - asteroids and space stations you can duck and weave through. Nearby NPC mines and station/capship flak. These are far more ubiquitous in space sims than in flight sims, since they can be anywhere - not just on the ground.

Power management - crank up shields and/or engines to evade. Transfer shield power from fore to aft.

Maneuverability vs. speed - Lower thrust to increase rate of roll/pitch/yaw.

In that video, I see evidence of obstructions, NPC turrets, power management, and shield management.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 09:09:26 PM

There are also some hot bar abilities designed to help you shake someone on your ass. It's also disorienting as fuck when someone dives right off your screen from using one and you have to pick them back up again. :P

I am fucking terrible at the space combat, though. So fucking terrible.  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 09:12:32 PM

Looks like fail.  Think about this from a flight combat sim perspective.  If you happen to get a maneuverable enemy on your six, you'll never shake them.  Ever.  

How is that fun?

You're wrong about that - there are cooldown abilities that you can get via different crew members or ship types that let you do a 180, boost + barrel roll, etc. There are plenty of ways to get someone off your ass.

Also, given that you respawn like any normal SWTOR warzone there's not going to be any positional snowballing to worry about IMO. This isn't WoT where once you're dead you're waiting for the next match.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:03 AM

You're wrong about that - there are cooldown abilities that you can get via different crew members or ship types that let you do a 180, boost + barrel roll, etc. There are plenty of ways to get someone off your ass.

Also, given that you respawn like any normal SWTOR warzone there's not going to be any positional snowballing to worry about IMO. This isn't WoT where once you're dead you're waiting for the next match.

In that case, I'm glad that I'm wrong.  While I have little faith that they can pull off balanced pvp, I am glad to see some new gameplay added to SWTOR.  I enjoyed the game.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 07:51:17 PM

That looks pretty fun, but I enjoyed the 'on rails' flight in TOR, too.   The ground game actually is what drove me away, it just took too long and was too repetitive on the 2nd character. Needed more alt planets.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:19 PM

Messed around with this a bit today. A little limited in that so far the only have one game mode (capture the control points), but still pretty fun. Had 2000 cartel coins when I resubbed so I dropped 1800 on a premium ship. Don't know if it's any better than the other ships, but what the hell. I haven't read or watched any of the preview stuff so I had to figure a few things out. For instance each ship apparently accrues points individually so if you want to focus on upgrading a particular ship you'll want to keep using it. There's also a smaller pool of points you get which seem to be usable for any ship. Seems to be a shit ton of stuff you can upgrade. Overall had a decent bit of fun with it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 02:08:54 PM

The Cartel Market ships (at least thus far) are identical to the ships you get for free statistically, they just look different.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:18 PM

My main annoyance with this so far is that you don't just share all the same ships across your characters. I don't want to have to re-level my ships multiple times so right now anytime I want to do Galactic Starfighter I've got one Imperial and one Republic character I feel like I have to login to.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 04:10:49 PM

That was asked about at the cantina thngy we went to and they did have a reason for why it doesn't, but I cannot remember why right now. :(

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 08:48:36 AM

Because how would leveling a ship on a Republic character impact an Imperial toon? That's like saying since I got one character to level cap, the rest should cap out too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 12:44:44 PM

Well, there's lots of stuff like that with the legacy system already is the thing. It would be sort of convenient to at least let you be playing whichever Republic character you want, considering the unlocking is a pretty slow process, and the matches do give XP, which gives you an incentive to not do it on your max level main guy, which is kind of odd.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 02:31:13 PM

Because how would leveling a ship on a Republic character impact an Imperial toon? That's like saying since I got one character to level cap, the rest should cap out too.

There's a lot of shit to unlock, and it's not like JKs have different ships than Troopers or whatever, so it's not really the same thing. I don't think it should go cross-faction (because those ships ARE different), but within the faction? It would've been really nice.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:00 PM

I phrased it a little badly but what I meant was that I'd at least either like all Imp characters to share their ships and all Republic characters to share their ships, or possibly when you earn points for any character they just end up in a pool that be used on Imp or Republic ships. They way it is now, I started playing Galactic Starfighter on my Juggernaut. If I'm on any of my other Imp characters they'd have to start completely from scratch which isn't worth doing.

It's not the same as leveling new characters because it's the exact same gameplay. I'm not learning new abilities or getting a different class story, I'm just doing GS at a disadvantage because I don't have anything my Juggernaut unlocked. That's why right now I feel restricted to just playing GS with just one Imp and on Repub character, which means that something that could have been a good source of xp when I'm sick of doing the same planets and quests for each alt is now relegated to just one character. Also due to loading times it's tedious to go back and forth between characters when I want to play GS.

Edit: Also it should be noted that we're talking about a PVP environment here, which as far as I know doesn't have any sort of matchmaking to find players who have upgraded their ships around the same amount as you or any ways of boosting up new players or people leveling new ships so that they can compete with people who have fully upgraded ships. Instead it's a matter of, do I play against this group of people with these ships I've spent some hours upgrading, or do I play against this exact same group of people using much weaker ships so I can expect to get killed more and potentially be a burden to my team. I mean that's partly just a long term balance issue regardless, but making you start over with each alt only exacerbates it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:38:00 PM by Velorath »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

The matchmaking is actually supposed to take that into account, it's just the pool is pretty small right now with only subs, so ... yeah.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 11:41:51 AM

This is open to "Preferred" players now.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:13 PM

This is open to "Preferred" players now.

Got the email.  Guess I could give it a shot.

Have they actually changed anything in the last year, or has it all basically been new content to try and wipe away the memories of the launch stuff?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 01:12:57 PM

Maybe fill me in on what you didn't like the first time around and I can try to answer that.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:19 PM

Ability to change your sub-class, or at least able to dual-spec your sub-class?

Story blandness?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:30 PM

There's no sub-class changing, nor will there ever be, and the class stories are the same as they always were.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:15 PM

awesome, for real

What server is everyone on these days?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 01:25:37 PM

Not a lot of f13ers playing (we have more from Broken Forum at this point) but Ebon Hawk is the server.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #65 on: January 15, 2014, 08:33:28 PM

I would like a dual-spec, though my list of complaints about TOR is pretty short. It's a solid game, not sure why it gets so much hate.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 03:50:31 AM

Well I was disappointed that it was just a Star Wars skin on a DIKU or whatever you want to call it. I love the voiceovers and the class storylines. I've pretty much finished all of them by now though. I'd sub again if they were going to continue them but it doesn't look like they will.  Heartbreak
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:45 AM

So I played a couple starfighter matches.  Having no prior knowledge of what all went into this system and what it was all about, it was like playing a completely different game than a MMO.

Which I kinda didn't like.  I was thinking I'd be able to bring in my ship, my crew, and all that jazz and go to town.  Instead, all of that gets kicked to the curb.

I understand now they're just starting small and maybe expanding this thing to PvE.  But by the time they get to that point, will it be too little too late?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 07:37:02 AM

It's a solid game, not sure why it gets so much hate.

Have you made it to end game yet?  That's when the wheels fall off. 

Endgame raiding = meh

Hardmode dungeons = meh

Endgame PvP = limited to a few classes/builds

Lack of dual speccing is quite annoying as is maintaining full sets of gear for each spec + pvp.

-  Mark Twain
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:12 AM

For me, the hate grew even before endgame.

At level 42 I think with a Jugg, I had four full bars of buttons to use almost every combat. I took a break from the game at one point and came back about six weeks later. I was getting raped by grey mobs because I couldn't remember what all the damn icons were. Memorizing an ideal sequence of 24 button presses is not "skill" to me, its tedious.

Give me something that played in combat more like the new Neverwinter, but with SWTOR's story and cutscenes and I'd still be playing it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  
Jump to: