Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 69732 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 08:58:04 PM

A gif of that punk cry baby Crosby getting what he deserves is an argument? Again watch the game.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:34 PM

Some GM's pet peeve or the first step to putting sponsorships/advertisements on the bottom of the jerseys, depending on who you talk to. Or the anti-Ovie rule, as some have put it.

Also one of the dumbest rules the league has ever put forward. It makes no sense especially given how the jersey often ends up tucked during regular play.

They never would have dared to do this in Gretzky's era (for those who don't know, Gretzky was the original player to tuck his jersey, at least the first player of import).

Its always been in the rulebook, even when Gretzky played, its just never been enforced.  Until now.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

Point stands, though. Dumb rule that serves no purpose at all unless they're trending towards sponsorships and advertisements. Jersey tucks have been good for the game as its one of the few ways for players to express individuality. Jersey tucks, visor tints, skate colours and such are the only real things players had control over. I understand things like enforcing the rule on splitting the pant legs because that could lead to safety issues whenever you're out-right altering equipment. Enforcing jersey tucks? Pointless, stupid and the perfect example of what is actually important to the idiots running the NHL.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 08:19:21 AM

I called Comcast yesterday afternoon to make sure Center Ice was up and running before the Canucks game. I completely forgot about the free preview they have every year. After watching the utterly depressing Canucks game, there is a distinct chance I would have skipped CI this year if I hadn't already ordered it. It is the exact same team that got raped out of the playoffs last year. Old, slow, with a shaky goaltender. In other words, absolutely NOT worth $160 to watch all year.

I haven't been this depressed after an opening night for a long time. I have been a GMMG supporter, but he has to go if this roster is the best he can do. If he had traded Luongo LAST FUCKING SUMMER this team might have some hope. Instead he wastes another year or two of the rapidly closing Sedin/Kesler/Burrows window by trading Schneids for someone who is still in junior.

Gonna be a long year. Sure hope I am wrong Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 08:31:57 AM

Bruins score their first goal of the season on a penalty shot (nice fake by Kelly). First time in NHL history a team's first goal of the season was a penalty shot.
Tampa fails to convert on two 5-3 pp and gives up two shorties....I think they might have a power play problem...

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 12:10:47 PM

I have no idea why people support Center Ice and other such crap, personally, unless you don't want to watch games on your computer (or don't want your computer hooked up to your tv). There are cheaper alternatives that let you watch more hockey with no blackouts; personally I use hockeystreams.com as it lets me watch all the hockey I want with zero restrictions for about $100 a year.

I didn't catch the Tampa game, but them having an issue on the powerplay just seems weird. They should have at least one unit that kills it.

It is, however, nice to see Grabovski and Ovechkin off to nice start. Should piss off a number of the people in the mainstream media, especially Sportsnet (some of their guys were the ones who said Ovie was done, would never be a 30+ goal guy again, and that Grabovski wouldn't get an NHL job after his time with the Leafs because he wasn't good enough for the NHL -- which I found absolutely hilarious).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 12:38:43 PM

I called Comcast yesterday afternoon to make sure Center Ice was up and running before the Canucks game. I completely forgot about the free preview they have every year. After watching the utterly depressing Canucks game, there is a distinct chance I would have skipped CI this year if I hadn't already ordered it. It is the exact same team that got raped out of the playoffs last year. Old, slow, with a shaky goaltender. In other words, absolutely NOT worth $160 to watch all year.

I haven't been this depressed after an opening night for a long time. I have been a GMMG supporter, but he has to go if this roster is the best he can do. If he had traded Luongo LAST FUCKING SUMMER this team might have some hope. Instead he wastes another year or two of the rapidly closing Sedin/Kesler/Burrows window by trading Schneids for someone who is still in junior.

Gonna be a long year. Sure hope I am wrong Ohhhhh, I see.

Some are saying the Canucks will sneak in the playoffs at 7 or 8.  I have my doubts they'll end up that high.  I'm predicting a high lottery pick year.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 07:00:56 PM

WOW, we're awful. (leafs)

If we actually pull this out of ass in OT, we don't deserve it.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 08:50:17 PM

I think Luongo is going to have a great season, Vezina calibre. He'll haul the Canucks into playoffs. Though I doubt they'll get out of 1st round.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:05 AM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:52 AM

Plus that was his 4th! of the night.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 01:17:51 PM

GIF-ified:

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 01:24:19 PM

I think I've seen that done in shoot outs before (even back-handed) but not during live play, pretty audacious.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 02:11:13 PM

You can always tell how good a move is, butby how stupid it makes the goalie look.

That poor bastard is counting to potato during that sequence.

-edit- my typing counted to potato too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:12:57 PM by Fordel »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 02:12:50 PM

One of the best parts for me is the defenseman at the end sort of making this half assed swipe at air with his stick when he sees how wrong it's about to get.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

Hertl was the biggest surprise of that draft for me. His NHLE was the same as Yakupov's for crying out loud. He lacks certain other things to get him into the same territory as a player like Yakupov but the scoring? The indication was always there that he was able to score and score well. He should have been a top seven pick.

Also, the goaltending this year has been hilarious (well, it would be if my team's goalie wasn't one of the one's struggling) due to the changes in pad sizes and stick lengths (got some tall goalies using the same stick length as guys 6-7 inches shorter now). How goalies end up after this season and next will be real telling as to how good some of them are compared to others without being able to rely on equipment cheating as much.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

It's going to be a tough division to slog through this year. Many of the local "experts" are expecting Vancouver to limp in around the eight seed.

So many factors play in to it. Maybe the NHL will go back to actually calling obstruction penalties? (they were in the Toronto game last night). That would swing things heavily back in the favour of teams like Edmonton and Vancouver. Or they put the rule book away again and just let the LA's and Bostons goon their way to glory.

This is fucking rich, I doubt Edmonton fans were complaining when Smyth was winning them playoff games by fouling opposing goalies 20 times a game. The idea that Vancouver or Edmonton are noble franchises that play a more pure form of the game is pretty pathetic. Makes me less annoyed that the shithead Bruins have been winning and I despise New England fans.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 01:45:32 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 02:14:10 PM

Can they actually print that?  why so serious?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 03:55:37 PM

Can they actually print that?  why so serious?

They just did!  Maybe we'd find out why they REALLY call him "Jumbo Joe". awesome, for real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7gMkiOPSeA
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:03:25 PM by Ginaz »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:23 AM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 05:24:14 PM

This isn't really news to anyone that isn't a blind zealot honestly. There wasn't enough time for us to tank it all down the drain last season. We still managed to pull it off in the playoffs though!  why so serious?

-edit-

Our management being retarded, also not news!  why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:26:02 PM by Fordel »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 07:54:21 PM

Well the leafs looked pretty sloppy on their 6-5 ot win tonight over the oil. Got another. 2 pts, but that was nothing close to playoff calibre hockey.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 08:43:41 PM

Oilers out-played the Leafs by almost every single metric there is. Granted, that's largely because the Leafs were even worse defensively than the Oilers and the Oilers were better in the offensive zone than the Leafs were.

Alas Dubnyk has devolved into an ECHL goaltender, apparently. Three bad goals; three bad goals after already having two games where he let in two bad goals each. Horrendous goaltending and a poor coaching decision to leave him in after giving up the second bad goal. Oilers deserved the win (in regulation), but handed it to the Leafs (who have the luck of the Irish; a shitty team that gets every single break possible, it seems).
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:27 PM

Not so confident in Dubnyk anymore?  :)
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 09:57:52 PM

Not if he can't find his mojo. Don't know what it is exactly, but his confidence is in the shitter and he's making all sorts of bone-head decisions (on top of struggling with the new equipment). Kind of sad.. with league average goaltending the Oilers are 3-2. instead they're 1-3-1 because of one guy. Ah well. I'm an Oiler fan. I'm used to the feelings of disappointment. We did get 5 cups out of the deal with the devil, though, so there's that.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:14 AM

haha here's another corsi guy making his case against the leafs:
http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2013/10/corsi-shot-quality-and-toronto-maple.html

further discussion:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=72650457#post72650457

Even though I consider myself very knowledgeable of ice hockey (play and watch at least 150 games a year) it's actually the last sport I'd attempt to quantify (and gamble on). There is so much more aspects of grit, chemistry and bounces than other major sports that just cannot be easily measured. I guess these corsi guys are beginning to get a better handle on it by reviewing every single second of a game and raring each chance/shot quality vs. quality of competition on ice at that time to rate teams' performance better than highly relative older stats like +/-, save%, sog, etc, but I still wouldn't rely on it to gamble.

That said, it should be a wild roller coaster ride for Leafs' fans this season. No doubt there's a low coming after this current high, especially when the Leafs just have a weird history of hot starts followed by mid season declines. I guess something to do with the pressure and hype that generates a high performance start just not being physically sustainable over a 6 month, 82 game schedule.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 03:10:40 PM

That guy is making his case FOR the Leafs, not against them.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 06:07:22 PM

It was pretty boring I only read the first 2 pages of his 10 page essay.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 07:17:29 PM

The Canadians lose to a Junior team.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:51 AM

Lars I love you but why would you say that BEFORE the game??? Say it after you win, when you don't have to see them for the rest of the year.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:52 AM

The amusing part is, aside from the junior team comment, he's utterly correct in what he said -- hell, the game itself showed that. The Oilers are everywhere and their systems play can be.. very suspect. They can be the worst team in the league.. they can also decide to show up and play with anyone. There were several segments where it looked like the Oilers were utterly outclassed. Then there was a couple stretches where the Canadians couldn't play at the level the Oilers did.

Its why being an Oiler fan is so damn frustrating. If they could play 55-60 minutes a game.. they'd be a playoff team. Alas, we're lucky if they show up for a period. Oilers need to play with the same intensity the Flames do. If they did that, in combination of having much better players, they'd be a very good team. Won't happen, though.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 08:28:57 AM

The Habs D can be just as suspect. It's looked really weak beyond Subban-Markov pairing. Hopefully Emelin returning later can steady it with his toughness. I wouldn't mind seeing another replay of that 2on1 goal when it was 4v4. I saw Gorges off pinching on the Oil blueline, but can't say for sure whether it was his fault for a bad pinch, or a good pinch where the forwards completely botched their job to cover him. Either way it was a huge defensive breakdown and a killer goal to give up in a 3rd period tie game.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 03, 2013, 03:41:58 AM

My God, the Oilers are bad.  Do they even give a shit?  The Flames are bad, too, but at least they've put an honest effort out each game.  Almost all their games have been competitive and mostly fun to watch.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 03, 2013, 09:33:19 AM

The Oilers aren't bad. More accurately, they shouldn't be bad. The actual team is actually pretty decent. However, a mix of systems issues and an utter lack of work ethic have gotten them where they are. The only real "excuse" for this team is injuries, which over the course of this season have already included; Nugent-Hopkins (#1 center, now healthy), Sam Gagner (#2 center, now finally healthy-ish), Taylor Hall (#1 LW), David Perron (#2 LW), Jesse Joenssu (#3 LW), Ryan Smyth (#4 LW). I'd throw in the injuries to goaltending, but the only one that matters there is Bachman who got hurt last night. Dubnyk got hurt, but that didn't really matter consider how badly he's played. Back-up has been even worse. There's also been a number of injuries down on the AHL team which has affected call-ups and four of our top six D are playing hurt or, in J. Schultz's case, actually out of the line-up. Number of the RWers have also been playing with injuries (Eberle, Hemsky).

All of that gives good context.. but doesn't explain the utter lack of effort which is what's killing the Oilers. Most of them just can't seem to put in even 40 minutes of effort and it is utterly baffling as a fan.

The team is where it deserves to be, now, even though a number of the early games they lost were ones they should have won. Now they deserve to lose, and lose badly.

Also, whomever is in charge of the Oiler's specialty teams deserves to get fired because I've never seen an Oiler team with a pk and pp as bad as this... and we've seen some mighty terrible ones in the 2007-10, and 92-95 stretches.

So in short; they suck, are dealing with reams of injuries to important players, coaching needs to improve, but mainly they suck because they really just don't give a shit, as you speculated. There's already discussions in the fan base to stop watching/attending games.

Its amazing when you think about it; after the 2006 play-off run the Oilers had almost 10,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets. The waiting list is now down to less than 25 people as of the last renewals before the season. And still Six Rings remains in charge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: