Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 69742 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 06, 2013, 07:25:35 AM

and of course I didnt get to watch it. mothersuck.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:22 AM

If Calgary ever learns how to finish a game, they might be dangerous.  They almost blew ANOTHER one in the final few seconds last night but managed to win in OT.  They've lost 9 games by 1 goal and 4 by 2 goals.  Thats 13 of their 18 losses by 1 or 2 goals.  If they had won even half of those one goal games (esp. the ones they where they blew the lead late) they'd be in playoff contention with arguably the least talented team in the NHL. It just goes to show that talent only gets you so far and working hard is probably more important (looking at you Oilers).
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 09, 2013, 08:19:13 AM

Has Calgary not managed to draft anyone decent in the past 4 years of missing playoffs? I don't know much about their prospects/rookies. They have always seemed to have a culture of hard work ethic though.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:14 AM

Has Calgary not managed to draft anyone decent in the past 4 years of missing playoffs? I don't know much about their prospects/rookies. They have always seemed to have a culture of hard work ethic though.

Its only been within the past few years that they've done well with the draft.  Before that, they drafted worse than almost any other team.  They picked too many Western Hockey League guys and guys that fit into Darryl Sutter's way of building a team instead of picking for talent.  They've also made a few bad trades, highlighted by the one where they got fleeced (again...Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman anyone?) by Toronto for Dion Phaneuf.  They seemed to have turned things around with Jay Feester as GM and actually have a plan to rebuild rather than just slap pieces together and hope to make the playoffs.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 09, 2013, 12:18:44 PM

Phaneuf is hardly comparable to Gilmour. Getting Gilmour was clearly robbery, Phaneuf was more the two teams exchanging different kinds of trash.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 09, 2013, 01:07:16 PM

Calgary has some real potential playing in the NCAA this year and their AHL team is first overall I believe. There's some real confidence in their up and coming players for the first time... ever? Their compete level has impressed me and they have been suprisingly competitive for a team with (like was said earlier) arguably the least talented NHL team this year.

They were 2 years late on starting this rebuild and it's still going to be 3-4 years minimum before anyone sees any real playoff results, but early indications are that at the very least, they will put a competitive team on the ice that will be a pain to play against.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:13 PM

Phaneuf is hardly comparable to Gilmour. Getting Gilmour was clearly robbery, Phaneuf was more the two teams exchanging different kinds of trash.  why so serious?

Gilmour was obviously a much better player than Phaneuf but the most recent trade has basically come down to trading Phaneuf for Stajan seeing as how all the other players Calgary got were gone withing a year or two of the trade.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:16 AM

No one is ever going to win with Phaneuf. He makes too many mistakes, leads to bad goals which kills you in playoffs.

He is an albatross, and Toronto will sign him to some ridiculous 8m x 8 year contract because they are too scared to let him walk away from him as UFA.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:19 PM

They're still trying to convince us Kessel is a superstar.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 10, 2013, 01:35:49 PM

He's the 40 goal scorer who has never scored 40 goals.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 13, 2013, 10:19:00 AM

Sorry Ceryse but...LOL

Also  funny from last night:Heart Gallagher
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 13, 2013, 11:10:55 AM

Dubnyk is done, at least in Edmonton. Only reason he's playing (or Barbs is the backup, for that matter) is we have two goalies on the IR; Bryzgalov (who's been decent or better and has generally kept his mouth shut) and Bachman, who would be a better 1-2, at least this year.

Dubnyk may land on his feet elsewhere, as he is a decent goalie and it can take goalies awhile to adjust to any kind of change, but Dubnyk's goalie type means that he'll have to seriously improve to stay in the NHL because he's a victim of the Canadian goaltending school; learn the butterfly, be big, anticipate where shots will go and let them hit you. Literally, that is how they trained goalies for over a decade now in Canada. Its why there is a dearth of really good goaltenders in the Canadian system these days, because athleticism was not a requirement.

But yeah; between the trifecta of goaltending, our powerplay, and our lackluster defense the Oilers suck pretty bad this year. Doesn't help that our coaching staff isn't punishing players for mistakes unless they're guys he doesn't overly like anyways. Gagner, our worst forward in the top nine this year, gets more and more ice time and first unit powerplay time. Frustrating. I could rant on what the Oilers are doing wrong all day. Powerplay especially, as its so easily fixed, but.. you know. Oilers.

A team built to be mocked. Starting to see empty seats in Rexall, finally, though.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:04 PM

Probably should've traded Gagner during the off-season instead of giving him that big contract.

Dubnyk may land on his feet elsewhere, as he is a decent goalie and it can take goalies awhile to adjust to any kind of change, but Dubnyk's goalie type means that he'll have to seriously improve to stay in the NHL because he's a victim of the Canadian goaltending school; learn the butterfly, be big, anticipate where shots will go and let them hit you. Literally, that is how they trained goalies for over a decade now in Canada. Its why there is a dearth of really good goaltenders in the Canadian system these days, because athleticism was not a requirement.

I dunno, the Habs opened their wallet and signed Stephane Waite from the Hawks. He's done wonders for Price who was previously in stuck in that bad habit and gotten him moving more so maybe there's hope for him under the right coach.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: December 13, 2013, 02:32:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with Gagner's contract, honestly. If he was a winger. Most of his problems stem from horrendous d-zone coverage because he seems utterly incapable of covering the man in the slot. He also tends to cheat for offense (its how he inflated his numbers last season). If he were moved to wing a lot of problems for the Oilers (up front) would be solved. Alas, he is the golden boy. Also, he is still very tradeable right now, as he has high stock around the league for varying reasons -- but he won't be, as MacT gave him a verbal no-trade for this season (as he couldn't contractually give him one this season; only for next season an on). Gagner wanted the no trade because his fiance is starting up as a family doctor here in the city, and those kinds of practices aren't easy to move (and considering the family doctor situation in Edmonton, would be financially dumb to move).

Still, they could trade him. Should, even. Arcobello has shown to be better than he is (similar scoring levels, better defensively, better at face-offs and despite being smaller is more physical and has more effort level to his game) and Gagner as a winger is redundant in Edmonton with Hall and Perron available as top six LWers (its even more of a log-jam on the RW). Oilers should trade him now, especially given his stock around the league, and with some added parts thrown in could actually get a top pairing D-man back (would have to throw in some of our good D prospects, like Marincin, and possibly even this year's first rounder).

As for Dubnyk; yes, he could recover. But it won't be in Edmonton. The GM never saw him as part of the solution (and then he went and has proven to be part of the problem!) and the fans have turned on him. Still, until this season he had three straight seasons of .920+ save percentage on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #119 on: December 13, 2013, 05:32:41 PM

Would have loved to see Mason pound that little shit Gionta.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01:49 PM

Good lord, the east is horrible. ACK!  Calgary would only be 3 points out of a playoff spot if they were in the east.  Reminds me of the Jays being stuck in the AL east with Boston and New York.  Put them in another division and they might have actually made the playoffs once or twice in the past 20 years.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: December 14, 2013, 07:14:37 PM

Good lord, the east is horrible. ACK! 

Not a big surprise, honestly. West gets to feast on the East again, so its only natural. It was a bit hilarious earlier on when the top team in the East would have placed 9th in the West. The NHL should go back to the top 16 making the playoffs, not guaranteeing playoff spots if you happen to be lucky and in a weaker division/conference. The best teams should always advance to the playoffs, but alas.. markets and politics.

What makes this all the more amusing was the number of players/coaches/GMs who, after re-alignment, bitched about how teams in the West would find it easier to make the playoffs due to only having 14 teams opposed to 16 in the East. Baffled me when they said it because the West has been the tougher conference for well over a decade (and is generally regarded as the 'real' conference in the West by fans, media and announcers alike). If anything, it is, and has been easier to make the playoffs in the East for a long time, largely due to the sheer number of below average franchises and the fact they don't have to play Western teams that often (Western conference tends to win more than 60-65% of the games against the Eastern conference, sometimes even higher).

The fact most of the 'major NHL stars' are out in the East (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie, etc.) just makes most in the West smirk.

Honestly, if you just moved the Oilers into the East, they'd probably be a playoff team, or a near-playoff team. And the Oilers are crap. Of course, the team would probably die of the bubonic plague or something, as the Oilers can't possibly successfully do anything, so probably best the languish as the bottom feeder in the West.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 15, 2013, 09:36:58 AM

I don't really care which conference is better, I just would rather there were less or no inter-conference games. Western teams are mostly boring, and I don't care about them. I would rather the Hbas played atlantic  division 8 times, and metro division 4 times.

And cmon, the oilers in the east playoffs? That is a bit ridiculous they are still like 10 games below .500 which is pretty awful in any conference.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:38:31 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: December 15, 2013, 11:56:19 AM

Nine games below .500... and yet only eight points back of 8th in the East! Give them a bunch of games against teams like Buffalo and that would make a difference!

The point is the East is that bad.

Also, personally, I generally find most games between Eastern teams boring, with only a few exceptions. I'd like to see a top 16, regardless. Make those teams in the East actually work for their playoff spot!  awesome, for real
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 15, 2013, 12:01:21 PM

I think the best thing about the West outperforming the East, is no one is quite certain WHY this happens. Like all the game history shows the west clearly winning more then they lose when playing the east, but no one can quite pin point why the western teams are pulling ahead. I've seen a few articles that all basically end up with the conclusion of "buuuuuuuh? Head scratch "

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:28 PM

I don't really care which conference is better, I just would rather there were less or no inter-conference games. Western teams are mostly boring, and I don't care about them. I would rather the Hbas played atlantic  division 8 times, and metro division 4 times.

And cmon, the oilers in the east playoffs? That is a bit ridiculous they are still like 10 games below .500 which is pretty awful in any conference.

Calgary, and the Oilers, are horrible.  However, if they were in the east, both of them would be in the playoff hunt, esp. since they would be playing teams like Buffalo and Carolina more often rather than Chicago, Anaheim or LA.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: December 25, 2013, 10:05:24 AM

I think the best thing about the West outperforming the East, is no one is quite certain WHY this happens. Like all the game history shows the west clearly winning more then they lose when playing the east, but no one can quite pin point why the western teams are pulling ahead. I've seen a few articles that all basically end up with the conclusion of "buuuuuuuh? Head scratch "

There are a lot of theories as to why the Western teams tend to beat (or dominate, in some cases) the Eastern teams more often than not. Its likely a combination of things, such as most Western teams being deeper (fewer teams with super stars at the forward position, but better forwards as a group from 1st line through 4th line, whereas Eastern teams tend to focus on having a really good pair of lines) than their Eastern counterparts across the varying positions, being more used to the rigors of travel and used to a more competitive level of play as the West has tended to have a higher level of parity (one or two teams excluded) across the conference. The East tends to have a massive drop off between its best teams, its middling teams, and its bottom feeders. West really only has the best teams, middling teams disparity with one or two shitty teams plugging along as an homage the Oakland Seals.

Also, it helps that a lot of the Western teams aren't really short on talent, just short on MSM acknowledged high end talent -- something that becomes painfully obvious at awards time. Of course, the MSM is notorious for being idiotic (i.e., not knowing what position Ovechkin plays!).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #127 on: December 31, 2013, 01:17:41 PM

I'm going to go with the East teams being forced to play late games due to crazy timezones - 10pm (effective) starts are brutal.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Belasco
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 31, 2013, 04:31:30 PM

That's a bit of a stretch.  That's only four games a season for an East team (at San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Vancouver).  If you throw in the mountain teams with 9 PM start times that's still only 8 games a year with 2h+ EST starts.  East teams easily have a far better travel schedule than West teams.

The simplest reason is that the West just has better teams right now.  In a few years, things may change.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 01, 2014, 12:44:58 PM

I'm going to go with the East teams being forced to play late games due to crazy timezones - 10pm (effective) starts are brutal.

The Metropolitan Division (worst name in pro sports IMO):

Pittsburgh
Washington
Philly
New Jersey
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
Carolina
Columbus

The only places that might be a bit of a trip would be Carolina and Columbus.  All the other cities are less than an hours flight from each other.  The Atlantic Division is about the same with the exceptions being the two Florida based teams.  Now look at the two Western divisions.  Theres a lot more travel involved for all of those teams.  LA to Edmonton is a much longer trip 4 times a season than Philly to Pittsburgh.  Couple that with the teams from the east only come west to play each team once a year (and vice versa for the west teams).  So, time zones or late games have very effect on eastern teams.  Its the western teams that are much more effected by that.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:23 AM

Hmm, Team USA's defence looks awfully young and shaky.  Paul Martin over Keith Yandle? awesome, for real
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: January 02, 2014, 12:20:33 PM

Awesome story with a behind-the-scenes look at picking the US Olympic team.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: January 02, 2014, 12:54:33 PM

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Man, if I was Bobby Ryan and I read what the Team USA guys said about me I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:30 AM

I think Burke has a personal problem with him, but if USA comes up short a goal because a guy like Brown is on team over Ryan, this is gonna spin a lot of questions back at him. I think team USA needs to ditch this Burke clique though, he's a gin soaked jackass.
WayAbvPar

Reply #134 on: January 03, 2014, 02:33:09 PM

Man, if I was Bobby Ryan and I read what the Team USA guys said about me I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

Bobby Ryan is a massive cunt- it could have been A LOT worse.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 03, 2014, 03:57:20 PM

Bobby Ryan is a massive cunt- it could have been A LOT worse.

Exactly. What Burke said was kind. Anyone who is getting all bent out of shape about those comments is pretty naive about what is said in a NHL war room.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:26 AM

Mid-Season update:

Leafs are still complete ass and their record is starting to reflect it. Over/Under on coach/gm surviving this season?  why so serious?

WayAbvPar

Reply #137 on: January 10, 2014, 09:10:10 AM

They might just shitcan him before the Olympic break. That would give any incoming coach a few extra days to try to salvage the season.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: January 10, 2014, 01:28:30 PM

Watching the Leafs actually getting the results their underlying stats show they have deserved for the past 80-ish games or so has been pretty entertaining to watch, especially after the talk from Leaf coaches that stats aren't important (major paraphrasing there, but still). Now I'm just hoping the Canucks also fall out of the playoffs (and stay out). The tears would keep me fed for decades.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 10, 2014, 01:34:50 PM

Nono, They never said the stats aren't important, they said they have their own metrics and systems and know things no one else as figured out and most of the team apparently bought into it and nodded along to this sage wisdom of their superior style of play.

I'm going to be so sad when we trade Reimer away for nothing, but I'll be happy for him when he instantly succeeds on his new team with the most fundamental understanding of how to play NHL hockey.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: