Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Tell me about Marvel Unlimited 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell me about Marvel Unlimited  (Read 53398 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Oh their interfaces are just fucking terrible from the tablet to the web version. It's virtually impossible to follow any storyline involving more than one book without going to a Wiki for it. There is so much that could be done from a UX standpoint on the tablet version, it's fucking painful to see. And yet it's still a pretty sweet deal.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 12:44:16 PM

Agree, yeah.  I subscribe to this off and on, and I think its great.  But I have to google comic reading order lists and then flip back and forth trying to go over big cross over events (which is pretty much 50% of any given marvel issue thats been done over the last decade).  Always boggled my mind they didn't build in an instant link/reading order function for the shit ton of cross over events they did.  Really easy to do in a digital format....
Shit, I just really want a "read next issue" link in an easily identifiable location.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 03:22:11 PM

Or a read from last location option that doesn't have to redownload the whole book all over again, or an offline reading that doesn't slow the app down to a crawl, or....

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 07:25:02 PM

It's badly organized, yeah. I only enjoy it because I know what I'm looking for. It also disappoints me sometimes because of what it doesn't have.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 05, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

I only ever use the tablet version but that seems to work pretty well as far as I can see. If you read a book then at the end there's a prominent link for reading the next issue, or at the start of each book there's a link for "more in name of book" and it takes you to a page with every issue in date order.

For the special events you go to "browse" and "comic events", choose the one you want and it shows you all the different books from all the series involved, in reading order.

What I don't care for is the way Marvel publishes its comics now. A lot of their series seem to last a couple of years and then start again at issue 1, which makes it confusing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 10:45:33 AM

What I don't care for is the way Marvel publishes its comics now. A lot of their series seem to last a couple of years and then start again at issue 1, which makes it confusing.

Yeah, as a long time comics reader, this annoys the shit out of me. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't insist on doing a big, company-wide crossover event every summer that touched most/all of the books. It's like they want to have it both ways - tight, company-wide continuity with a status quo for each character, but then the individual books are all about doing whatever the creators want with the characters in spite of any current or past continuity. Either would be fine, but with the latter, you'll get a decent, fresh take on a character for about 3-4 issues, then 2-4 issues of "let's deal with the intrusion of the crossover continuity which may contradict what I just read in the first 4 issues" and by the time you get back to the fresh take, the creator's got maybe 3-4 issues left in him and the course he was taking was totally fucked up by the crossover shit. Mark Waid's Hulk book was one of the worst examples of this. He had a really great, interesting approach to the character, then Original Sin hit and he had to write with that shit in mind, and by the time we got back to the regular storyline, the book ended without resolution and was not nearly as good. Then they started a new one where Waid did the first 4 issues and handed it over and it wasn't nearly as good, nor was the ending to Waid's storyline that well resolved.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Tell me about Marvel Unlimited  
Jump to: