Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  (Read 91830 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #105 on: August 31, 2014, 02:16:38 PM

<shrug> I've been on the losing end of a healer of every kind, and I have the hardest time staying alive as a commando. People pick me out way faster, and I don't feel like I have nearly enough mobility. I've seen healers of all kinds do amazing, fuck you die already things, I've seen healers of all kinds melt immediately to the assist train, and I've seen healers of all kinds be kind of average. Operatives are awesome, it's true, but at this point I wouldn't say the gulf is particularly wide between it and the others.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: August 31, 2014, 03:11:12 PM

Something a over powered Op healer would say!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #107 on: August 31, 2014, 03:20:07 PM

When's the last time you even played in a WZ, anyway!

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 31, 2014, 03:25:23 PM

Whenever they broke the video game for me and Blue Screened my computer.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 02, 2014, 05:56:54 AM

Buying a Stronghold Pack felt way too good. I'm talking Pack of Magic Cards good.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 02, 2014, 10:06:19 AM

Buying a Stronghold Pack felt way too good. I'm talking Pack of Magic Cards good.

They can be addicting especially if you want something in particular.  There are a few people i know that buy at least a couple of hypercrates whenever new packs come out.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:40 AM

I had an interesting quest experience today. With the Makeb daily missions, you have a Weekly that operates in Stages. You only need to complete three of, say, 7 quests to move onto the next stage, with options for solo and group content. The people who'd normally check the thread know this, but I thought I'd lay the foundation for the uninformed.

Anyway, during one of the quests, it forwarded a bonus objective based on one of the previously completed quests. The order I do the quests mattered for creating additional content. I thought that was very cool.

I got the hang of Starfighter and my initial bitching has subsided, which was really about being dropped into the playpit without support and getting smacked around by the bullies. Warzone PvP has gotten a tiny bit better once I started rolling with the group and acting my role.

I'm looking forward to the next expansion.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #112 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:26 AM

With as many people who are buying crates and stuff, I wonder why they bothered crippling the core game so much. All they had to do was go the Rift route and make subbing a value add rather than the only way to de-cripple the game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #113 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:19 PM

Well, when they made that decision I suspect they didn't realize just how crazy the pack stuff was going to get.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:35 PM

They've obviously never paid attention to Magic, Pokemon, any established TCG, or, shit, Legend of Zelda. People like opening chests. It's about as holy a moment in gaming as you can get.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:01 PM

'swhy we keep putting 'roguelike dungeons' mod in minecraft. Random loot chests!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 03, 2014, 01:08:14 PM

Lockboxes are -everywhere- in f2p MMO cash shops... and I ignore all of them. It just seems like a way to exploit players' gambling tendencies, to me...

On a more relevant note: I just hit 53 on my sage after finishing up section x and the belsavis bonus series, I also did that System Shock-esque spaceship sequence. The next part for assembling a HK unit (it's a companion, I take it) seems to have eleventy billion steps, including FP runs and requiring several lv50+ empire/republic characters. Is it worthwhile to do all that, assuming I'm not particularly interested in having a HK companion (yeah yeah, I'm an incorrigible meatbag)?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:42 PM

The only reason to do those quests from a rewards perspective would be if you want to unlock HK as a companion option. (You only need 1 50+ character, though, the character on the other side only needs to be high enough to get to Coruscant/Dromund Kaas and then survive in the last area while searching for the thing, so 14-15ish.)

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:15 PM

Word. I have a 50 operative, so that part is covered. I did some reading, though, and it seems that I'd need to run hardmode Foundry (level 50, I assume) on the imperial side to do the unlock. Do people run level 50 HMs much nowadays (preferably in dungeon finder) and are there any itemlevel / quest prerequisites to running Foundry on HM? My operative basically has green leveling gear, and I sorta put him on the backburner, OP in pvp or not.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:28:57 PM by Zetor »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:28 PM

I would really like to unlock HK, but it seems to be a thing not for people like me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 03, 2014, 01:37:42 PM

You only have to do the instance run on whichever side you're doing the initial unlock. IIRC it is Maelstrom Prison instead for pubs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM by Ingmar »

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 04, 2014, 10:33:34 AM

Oh, is the Scavenger Droid to get the HK parts Legacy bound? I hadn't noticed. It would expedite getting my opposite faction HK parts.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 04, 2014, 10:35:22 AM

Yeah you can mail it to your alts.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: September 04, 2014, 11:44:28 AM

Is there any trick to make the survey/scanning process go by quicker -- such as visual cues, background objects to look for, anything? I just spent 1 hour on Taris with zero results... most of that hour was spent watching concentric red-yellow-green pulses. It felt worse / more obnoxious than WOW archeology, and THAT's an achievement!  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:25 AM

IIRC you can do it in a group? Everyone splits up and it goes faster. Not that it's a very viable way to do it *now*.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: September 04, 2014, 11:55:15 AM

It appears the trick was "whine on f13 about it", because I got a bite 5 mins after I posted (the triangulation part is actually kinda interesting, it's like WOW-arch without the markers). Then I couldn't loot the item because I was on my imp character and the container on Taris is BOP instead of legacy bound... which is odd since the tatooine piece and the lowbie piece imp/pub pieces are all legacy bound, and the droid is not bound at all!

Time to do it again on my sage.  why so serious?

edit: component was still there. CRISIS AVERTED
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:01:53 PM by Zetor »

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: September 04, 2014, 05:19:27 PM

Triangulation helps but I've noticed the signal gets lost sometime -- I wonder if spawn points move.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:14 AM

You definitely have to do the investigation of any location in one sitting -- if someone else discovers the part, it'll move.

That said, I found it odd that when I found the thing on my operative and switched over to my sage, I rediscovered it in the same general area, but not at the exact same location -- it was about 15m away. I assume Taris has separate zones for imperial and republic players, instead of just phased? (I also noticed that the spaceship wreck on Hoth has different coordinates for imperial and republic players) Oh yeah, I now have my own HK unit, woo!

Query: Does HK-51's mission efficiency / crafting critical apply to everything? Because dayum (in a good way).
Amendment: Is spending 1mil worth it to unlock HK for a lowbie alt (over regular companions)?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:52:04 AM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Imperial Taris and Republic Taris are entirely separate planets, since they happen at different times in the story and the geography changes a bit. Same goes for Balmorra. I think all the other shared planets are actually shared.

And yes, HK/Treek's crafting bonuses are generic. They're typically not as good as the focused ones, but it's still nice to have a 2nd person who can crit craft a little more often or whatever. Note that if you have a companion with a full affection bar, that adds 5% crit right there, so HK won't actually be better than a regular companion unless he's at the same affection level as them.

I wouldn't spend to unlock HK for a lowbie, especially because you can get Treek and then unlock her as a legacy collection thing and then spawn her for all your alts for 'free', and it's typically more useful to have a tank/healer NPC available than a tank/DPS one. HK is pretty nice for doing dailies at max level (I know you hate those) because of his auto-kill thing that you can use to blow away a silver every so often, he speeds it up a bit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:58:01 AM by Ingmar »

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:47 AM

Theory: I've been mostly thinking about using him with my sage as I level/quest because silvers are annoying. My next character is going to be a sentinel, so healer would work better there. I'll look into that Treek character, thxinfo.
Evaluation: It's easier to gear ~spoiler~ (the last consular companion) with hand-me-down gear, and my cybertech isn't maxed yet... also, I actually hit 54 while doing the HK51 quests due to the flashpoints and whatnot. Decisions, decisions!  awesome, for real

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:33 PM

Sage was my most powerful character, heh.  You get a tank companion to start with, AND you have a 1 minute sleep ability (use it).  Seriously, I soloed that heroic area on Nar Shaddaa where the datacron is, at equal level, and it's full of groups of 2 gold+1 silver or 2 silver + 3 minions; it's just a matter of having the DPS tree and using the tank and parking one of the golds or silvers until the other dies.  I actually did the heroic quest (almost died but got the boss); could not do that with my Guardian in tank mode no matter how hard I tried, due to lack of a "park for one minute" ability (Guardian's only works on droids).
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 06, 2014, 12:12:37 AM

How easy/hard is it to find groups for the final microbinoculars / seeker droid missions [the heroic 4 ones]?

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: September 06, 2014, 06:17:15 AM

I'm having a bitch of a time finding one. It's unlike any other quest that requires a group. Ilum you could theoretically find a group to help because it's a high level area, but Nar Shadda?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:01 AM

Some doods in fleetchat were saying it took them 5 months to get a group.  why so serious?

e: You are on EH, right? We should totes group up for this! As soon as we find 2 more suckers helpful souls, that is.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:30:20 AM by Zetor »

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: September 06, 2014, 08:17:24 PM

No, Harbinger. West Coast PvE. I realize I've shot myself in the foot if I ever wanted to complete PvP Achievements.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: September 06, 2014, 08:40:53 PM

I still need to do the H4 steps of the seeker/macro quests, and I'm on EH, so I'd be up for it some time.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:02 PM

I still need to do the H4 steps of the seeker/macro quests, and I'm on EH, so I'd be up for it some time.
Word. I'll be playing as Zefir (healer sage, republic side) if you are up for said shenanigans!

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:25 AM

New Flashpoint is good. "You're not even the 20th person to underestimate me." <3 imp. Agent

I like Theron's voice actor in Depths of Manaan and Legacy of the Rakata -- he brings a real sense of urgency to the tense moments. It wasn't like anything else I heard before.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:36:05 AM by Maven »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 09, 2014, 01:02:34 PM

He might be the old one, I don't remember which one came first.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: September 09, 2014, 02:16:10 PM

Thrall was around long before Revan but didn't obtain his Green Jesus / Metzen Mary Sue status until Cataclysm. Old Republic's Thrall, by comparison, looked to have been brought in as a boss and Old Republic throwback complete with his robot sidekick for extra fanwank in the original release. Cool, but not overly significant. I thought his death was a positive development -- so to have him come back comic book style as the New Threat feels like a step backwards, like WoW is doing with Warlords of Draenor.

Still, Lana Benko and Theron are good characters to advance the story with. And hey! I can have a same-sex relationship with Lana! Light-side Sith has far more attraction than Kailyo, anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  
Jump to: