Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:39:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  (Read 91708 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

Well, that's the thing, there might not be anyone on when you are. :P But yes, you need to be logged in for a guild invite (alas).

God Save the Horn Players
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:33 PM

Oh well, no biggy. I got my own character name wrong anyway. It's Ziletek not Viletek. :)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:59 PM

I'll be online tonight after 9:30ish eastern, I can invite whoever wherever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 06:02:26 PM

Good stuff. I'll make sure I'm signed on as Ziletek.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:52 PM

GSF strategy guide has helped me understand the fundamentals and progression path better for better play. Proton Torpedos with 10k range appear critical, as well as quickly developing the missile dodge maneuver. It seems there are must-haves to be competitive.

I finished the Imperial Agent story and had to put the game down. It was taking up too much time. Maybe in October when Strongholds become accessible to F2P players. It would, admittedly, save me an immense amount of trouble to subscribe for one month and use the time to acquire all the Account unlocks.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:09 AM

Annnd I picked it back up and bought game time. I may have a problem.

The barriers subscribing removes are ridiculous. All the problems I was having vanished -- it is much more pleasurable to play. Strongholds and Conquest are fun incentives.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 25, 2014, 09:11:58 AM

I'm impressed that you lasted as long as you did as a free to play guy.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 25, 2014, 10:49:40 AM

As much as I wanted to figure out a way to circumvent the system, this game is deserving of some money, bugs and all.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:31 AM

I'll probably be subbing in another week or so as my Rift patron pass expires soon. I love the combat and souls in rift, and it's got so many QoL things going for it, but the generic world finally brings me down as I get too disconnected from what quest I'm on. TOR is a nice complement as I tend to play it 'slower' and savor the quest stuff a bit more.

Not sure which character I'll start with, but I'll probably be hitting up my Bot Country assassin for money soon enough, he's 55?
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 05:47:49 AM

Level 55 Warzone PvP is extremely frustrating. I'm cannon fodder.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #80 on: August 27, 2014, 12:40:39 PM

55 PvP is a crapshoot. If you're the right class (my operative and scoundrels strolled right in gear-free without much issue) (hell one of my scoundrels' gear was shitty even for PvE and he still did alright), and you're not facing endless premades, it can be okay. One thing you should do, assuming you want to keep at it instead of just going "fuck it," is prioritize getting the PvP weapons so your expertise hits the cap, as bolster doesn't hit the cap without them.

Really depends on your class, though, I happen to be really, really good at healing as a scoundrel (and they're really good at PvP in general because of their TOOLS). I did alright as a healing sage. I would be an embarrassment as just about anything else, I am sure of it.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 27, 2014, 01:58:28 PM

If you are gonna pvp you have to get the expertise gear.  It's a bunch of grinding and just hoping you get dropped into good groups.  It can be pretty brutal though til you get some gear, and even then it can depend on your class.  I play DPS Merc and Commando.. I get lit up pretty bad even with gear.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 04:30:33 PM

What's the expertise cap?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #83 on: August 27, 2014, 04:32:37 PM

2018 iirc

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 27, 2014, 04:33:03 PM

Umm 2018?  Something like that I can't remember off the top of my head.  You get full expertise from getting all the first tier pvp items.  You don't need to get the higher ones to reach cap.  Even then the 2nd tier isn't a huge jump, but the hardcore pvp'ers have gone beyond that and bought pieces to get the perfect selection of mods and stuff. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #85 on: August 27, 2014, 07:23:03 PM

Because of bolster, you can cap your expertise without the full set, you "just" need to get the weapons to hit the cap. You still want the expertise shit eventually, but if your goal is "cap expertise," buy the weapons first, then fill in shit afterwards.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 28, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

If you are gonna pvp you have to get the expertise gear.  It's a bunch of grinding and just hoping you get dropped into good groups.  It can be pretty brutal though til you get some gear, and even then it can depend on your class.  I play DPS Merc and Commando.. I get lit up pretty bad even with gear.

You're braver then me.  why so serious?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:37 PM

You're braver then me.  why so serious?

I also solo queue.   awesome, for real  I can hold my own, most of the time, and if left to my own devices i can pump out dps.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:19 PM

I also solo queue.   awesome, for real  I can hold my own, most of the time, and if left to my own devices i can pump out dps.

So never then?  why so serious?

All of the drawbacks of a Sniper/Gunslinger with none of the benefits.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #89 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:14 AM

It's less horrible as a merc (imo) because people don't see your GIANT FUCKING GUN and go "omg might be a healer GET 'EM" as often.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 29, 2014, 03:13:40 AM

I like doing objectives but I'm torn apart solo. However, I've found that I do great defending objectives in large groups -- hang back, pick out anyone below 50-75% health, and start pounding. Still, I've seen some ridiculous differences in power where I'd be torn apart like tissue paper.

I'm slowly unlocking gear. I find the grind's better if I do my Dailies and prioritize other things while the points accrue.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:03 PM

Or be a Sniper, do all that AND have protections against interrupts, sneaks AND CC.  why so serious?

Commando's and Mercs are not in a good place, haven't been for awhile. PVP Wise at least. Not strong enough stationary to hold a position and not mobile enough to avoid the train. Like you'll probably reach a point gear wise where you aren't being torn apart like paper anymore, but you still won't gain enough effectiveness either. Being alive isn't the same as being useful.

I find the class incredibly frustrating in that regard. Even healing wise, I'd rather fight a healing Merc over one of Sjofn's fucking scoundrels/operatives any day of the week. At least the Merc will stay still.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #92 on: August 29, 2014, 03:06:29 PM

I find the class incredibly frustrating in that regard. Even healing wise, I'd rather fight a healing Merc over one of Sjofn's fucking scoundrels/operatives any day of the week. At least the Merc will stay still.

Don't hate, man.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 05:31:14 PM

Do you still have reverse execute on the operative? As long as the target is below X Hp I can heal it forever instantly for free.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 06:46:30 PM

No, they nerfed that.  Heartbreak  Still hard to kill me though.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 09:10:41 PM

It's really strange how reluctant they are when it comes to nerfing obvious OP-ness like that. Is lolsmash still in the game?  awesome, for real

Anyway, I'm thinking about checking SWTOR out again (getting to 55, etc) and completely ignoring pvp, since it made me rage so badly last time around for various reasons. We'll see....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:14:33 PM by Zetor »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #96 on: August 30, 2014, 03:19:35 AM

lolsmash got nerfed a while ago!

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 31, 2014, 11:46:32 AM

Random musings after a few days of playing (ended up subbing because being a PlebeianPreferred Player sucks), spoilering it because it's sorta offtopic.

ANYWAY, I'll be playing my sage quite a bit in the next few days/weeks/months [?], so if anyone on Ebon Hawk wants someone to throw debris at them and/or pretend to heal them and laugh as they die, add Zefir as a BFF.

edit: Also, I'm away on a_business_trip_01 until Wednesday, so if I don't respond to friend requests / mails etc, it's not that I'm a jerk*, it's that I don't have swtor installed on my laptop.

* I lied, I totally am a jerk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:46:41 PM by Zetor »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #98 on: August 31, 2014, 12:43:52 PM

I play so many different people on a whim at this point I feel awkward giving out a name, because nine times out of ten the name I pick is someone I decide not to play for a while. With that in mind, Siala  and Dorvin are my likely 55's to play, and Rekor is my latest Republic leveling project.

Operatives/scoundrels are hilarious in PvP, yes. They used to be even stupider. They're not quite as silly at 55 (because in the 30-54, you'll wind up against people who have not yet learned how to deal with an operative/don't have a thing TO deal with you yet/etc), but I suspect you now understand why a fresh 55 operative/scoundrel healer can blow into WZs and it not be quite so depressing as some other classes. Who you play in WZs depends on what time of day, how many premades are out and about (yes, some sad people do premades for baby PvP, which is ~hilarious~ if you stomp them), and if one side is absolutely wrecking the other.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 12:59:58 PM

I'm afraid to ask how healer sages fare in pvp, because I don't think the answer changed from ~1.5-2 years ago when I last tried it.  ACK!

It's ok though, I'm very satisfied with sage healing in pve, and that's going to be my focus. Leveling seems decently fast even without hitting up Makeb -- I got to 52 just by doing the corellia planet quests (I skipped those for some reason), doing a full run of the black hole stuff except for the heroic+4 one (that one's going to taunt me from my questlog forever...) and a kuat drive yards scaled flashpoint thing. Is it preferable to do Makeb for gear, or can I just run a few easy FPs after hitting 55 to gear up fast-like?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #100 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:38 PM

Once you hit 55, there is a planet called ORICON that will shovel FREE PURPZ at you for going through the planet quests once (they turn into dailies after you do them, btw). If I remember right it gets you purple pants/boots/chest/gloves/hat, which is a nice start for a fresh 55.

Makeb's quests give you shitty green rewards for gear. I can't remember what types of comms it gives you. So Makeb is more for doing once to see the story (if you feel like it) and then never worrying about again, imo.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #101 on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:38 PM

The hat comes from a Heroic 2, mind you. You can usually find someone to do it with though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 31, 2014, 01:47:07 PM

I'm afraid to ask how healer sages fare in pvp, because I don't think the answer changed from ~1.5-2 years ago when I last tried it.  ACK!

It's ok though, I'm very satisfied with sage healing in pve, and that's going to be my focus. Leveling seems decently fast even without hitting up Makeb -- I got to 52 just by doing the corellia planet quests (I skipped those for some reason), doing a full run of the black hole stuff except for the heroic+4 one (that one's going to taunt me from my questlog forever...) and a kuat drive yards scaled flashpoint thing. Is it preferable to do Makeb for gear, or can I just run a few easy FPs after hitting 55 to gear up fast-like?

Healing sages are fine in PvP, they are just a poor man's healing operative though. Anything you could do, they could do better.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #103 on: August 31, 2014, 01:56:56 PM

I wouldn't go that far. I haven't sage healed in a WZ in a while, but I was pleasantly surprised with how well I did (and Siala was COMPLETELY WZ-gear-free). I didn't feel like "ugh I could do better as my scoundrel," I felt like "well this is different but HAHAHAHA I totally healed for 700k in this WZ awesome."

Commandos are the ones that I feel like I'm the worst of both worlds, but I know they do pretty well too.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 31, 2014, 02:07:25 PM

For me Sage healers are easiest to kill.  Then commandos and fuck operatives.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  
Jump to: