Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  (Read 91714 times)
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:01 AM

You do have to dig around the interface a bit. Also, I agree with Signe that it's, for me, becoming increasingly more intimidating and overwhelming to enter a city area in these games and understand everything. It was the same way with something like Galactic Starfighter where I'd initially bitch about getting slapped around by the experienced players until I found my legs and started topping score charts in PUGs.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #176 on: October 07, 2014, 12:59:11 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I'm really beginning to like the game quite a bit.  I only allow myself one sub at a time and I took the plunge.  I might even stick with this for a bit.  It surprises me because I get disappointed so easily.  With age comes the need for very nearly almost immediate happiness. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Alright, I'm at least trying to wrap my head around all the changes that have occurred.  I logged in once after f2p, but wasn't that interested in playing an all the changes were just not worth figuring out.

I have 2800 cartel coins, plus a few hundred thousand creds across various characters.  What are the must-have legacy unlocks?  I like inventory, storage, and crafting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #178 on: October 07, 2014, 06:03:01 PM

I put a cargo hold and GTN in both my strongholds. Also expanded out the legacy vault a bit to fit in crafting materials.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:17 PM

If you're patient or rich, Cargo Hold / GTN can be crafted / bought.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I'm really beginning to like the game quite a bit.  I only allow myself one sub at a time and I took the plunge.  I might even stick with this for a bit.  It surprises me because I get disappointed so easily.  With age comes the need for very nearly almost immediate happiness. 

Story wise and fun wise I still think this is my favorite leveling experience in an MMO.  Although The Secret World gets a nod too. 

Actually I am going to run the last two archetypes I don't have pub side now that I can just do the class missions. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #181 on: October 07, 2014, 07:17:10 PM

I loved The Secret World.  I only stopped playing because I ran out of world.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 08, 2014, 10:52:22 AM

Already defeated.

How do I buy an unlock, say for crew skills or using artifact equipment, account wide instead of for a character?

In the cartel store I select the item I want, and it has icon for personal and account unlocks but they're not selectable.  Showing details just gives a single item showing a single character unlock, and the single price of 1200 coins and "buy now".

Rather than select two crew skills, on the crew skills screen it has a button for purchasing an upgrade (no mention of whether character or account), but clicking it does absolutely nothing.

Help.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 08, 2014, 11:16:18 AM

....just sub. It's a sub game.

Rift has a great f2p, TOR doesn't. Subbing also saves your cartel coins for better things than unlocking basics, like the additions to the stronghold I mentioned.

I don't know the answer to the specific question beyond that, sorry.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 08, 2014, 11:18:19 AM

I'm not interested in subbing because I may play this all of ten minutes once I get my skill trees in order.  I'm jumping around in games far too much right now to sub to anything, and the majority of what I want can be gotten by unlocks.  It's just their system is friggin' obtuse.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #185 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:01 AM

I think account-wide and individual character unlocks are just different store items? Can't look at the store from work.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 08, 2014, 11:39:09 AM

The Cartel prices initially quote the single price. Clicking on the item and attempting to buy it will list the Account-wide prices. I don't even think you can view account-wide prices without having the funds to purchase individual.

Items you obtain for your collection require an extra fee to be able to withdraw them account-wide. Got a nice lightsaber color crystal? 200 Coins, please. Some of the systems are extortion, but in this F2P game any transaction is an area for extracting from the economy.

In fact, I'd say this entire game is all about using extremely large money sinks to keep the economy in check. Throw in Conquest's material consumption and I don't see inflation as a problem anytime soon.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:54 AM

Maybe not from the typical mmo type. For me, the inflation is outrageous and I can't really buy stuff for my alts, nor can I afford to buy mats. It's all grinding, all the time.

I guess I could grind my 1 level 55 dude but I'd rather play a new character than run repetitive dailies.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:51 PM

Oh, see, the Cartel window doesn't even indicate there is a further screen.  It just looks like I click on it and "buy now".

Does everything go into the collection, or just certain cartel items, because I haven't see a way to put the outfits I like most in there.  All that show for me are the pre-order color crystal and a tauntaun.  It doesn't look like they ever responded to my ticket about not getting the party jawa, either.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 08, 2014, 12:59:01 PM

Only the Cartel-sourced stuff goes into Collections for the most part.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:15 PM

You can also buy account-wide things from the screen that's applicable to the thing.  Like your Inventory window will have a button to expand it and when that pops up with the price, it gives you the option for Account-wide.  So check your Inventory screen, Ship Hangar screen, Legacy window, etc.

Edit:  Party Jawa doesn't go into Collections, you just get a copy mailed to each alt as soon as you create the alt.  Same with the fireworks and the orange pilot armor sets.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:47:36 PM by ajax34i »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

Mostly have my sea-legs back and am just a few good deals away from getting my stronghold to a point I'm happy with.

Is a piece of [prototype] gear of equivalent to the same custom piece if slotted with the same mods?  I found a [prototype] Ancient Paragon's Greaves and just wondering if there's any reason to hold onto them.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: October 12, 2014, 05:42:09 PM

Anything moddable will be the same as anything else once the mods are the same pretty much. Those things with [Prototype] and [Artifact] type tags just tend to not be adaptive and come with mods already in them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:48 AM

Finally hit a pretty rough patch with my Operative (dps) mostly due to gear. I've almost entirely stuck to story missions and had to craft myself a suit of greens at 30 and 40, luckily my maxed crafter is an armormech and was a Powertech with Mako primary, so gearing Kaliyo in tank gear is easy enough.

Still wish harvesting wasn't quite as onerous, it's a real pain to keep stocked up on materials. I don't have the money of someone who runs endless dailies or does group content, so the GTN is basically off-limits. And driving around harvesting is exceedingly boring.

Anyway, class quest at level 47 on Voss, some gold mob they pop up with a couple bots. Apparently the people who have complained about him say he heals himself too quickly and it's a battle of attrition. He's tearing Kaliyo and me down in seconds. So I crafted some more greens, but a normal gold is still a pretty chancy fight. Trying to snag a couple levels to get past him at some point, but it sucks that I can't just finish off the quests, hit max and play the characters I actually want to take my time with. (This guy is mostly for the agent buff and missions, and I wanted to see the Agent story before Bioware goes tits up).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:28:33 AM by Sky »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:09 AM

If I'm on I wouldn't mind helping you get past any quests that are blocking you.  Mostly playing as Hroki to finish her story, but Vhashik, Kylantha, and Jaelleah are my alts for crafting and GTN.  I should be able to invite to Bot Country, too, if you want.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: November 20, 2014, 11:07:55 AM

Which guy is giving you problems? In the dark heart?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:12 PM

Yeah, I believe that's where he is. I was starting to zone out as it was the end of a marathon (for me, maybe 3 hours!). I might have missed something easy in the fight, too. I figured best to just snag some green gear and pop a couple levels running Voss quests. Thanks for the offers, though!

My initial plan is to now play a tank Jugg/Guardian. Apparently I'm best at playing a tank PC with a healer NPC. I find other combinations more frustrating than fun. Too bad, I like dps, too; the Operative is pretty cool with all the knife fighting stuff but I can't keep Kaliyo up with my crap heals, it's mostly not even worth dropping my dps to try. And lately she's been aggroing on npcs after I break the combat with my combat stealth skill, which is a lot of fun. Don't think I've died as much with any other character (though of course, gear is an issue).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:18 PM

I would suggest trying your healer in the tough fights. He can wear your extra gear.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 20, 2014, 12:54:09 PM

I wish companions could be dual-spec or something (ditto characters, but eh). But that goes back to some of the core issues of the (otherwise awesome) companion system. Like getting the coolest companion near the end of the game. Maybe that's awesome for people who play at the cap, I dunno. But it would be pretty cool if all companions unlocked by level 15 and all had a backup healer spec.

I know, water under the bridge, but they were so close to getting it right.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:29 PM

Just use your healer companion, it's the best choice for almost everyone while leveling in crap gear and stuff. It will work better with your CC as an Operative as healer companions don't have AE attacks.

I'm also betting you are just approaching the fight wrong, it's not a difficult encounter. I blame your sleepiness or whatever. You have enough CC as an Op to shutdown the gold while you clean out the adds.

-fake edit-

In Beta, companions used to have 'kits' that would define what role the companion would play and you could swap the kits so any companion could do any role. They put the kits in when you used to be able to kill off companions, so no one would ever be without a healer or tank or whatever. Then they found that a very large number of people that killed off their companions in story quests ended up regretting it and wasting CS time with tickets to restore/rollback so they just removed the ability to kill companions off and in turn removed the kit option.

Why they didn't keep the kits regardless is a question only Bioware can answer.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Giving this a whirl for a bit.  
Jump to: