Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14  (Read 26897 times)
Hoppala
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:36 AM

I thought Moyes would do a LOT better than he has. His Everton teams were at times a lot more dynamic than this Man U team. I've seen them play 5 times now (Chelsea, both Liverpool BPL games and the FA Cup game, and Man City) and they just look to have no creativity whatsoever anywhere on the pitch. Which makes no sense, because they have creative players. Their defense is a bit of a shambles at the moment and they all look completely bereft of confidence.

Liverpool, despite some of the most awkward defense I've ever seen, are playing crazy good even when they aren't crazy good. You can say it's all about Suarez and Sturridge but you'd only be half right. In a lineup like they showed against Spurs this weekend, they are 5 guys you could expect to make legit scoring runs into the box or shots at any time - Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson and the front 2. And those could come from anywhere on the pitch, plus you still have Gerrard backing them up. If you take away half of Suarez and Sturridge's goals, you still have a team that would be challenging for top 4 despite their shitty defense. AND you have a side that can play 3-4 different formations and play them pretty well most days - that's a mark of Rodgers quality as a tactician and a coach. The side is doing MUCH better than I expected given their depth, defense and the issues with suspension and injury they had at the start of the season. That said, I wouldn't put money down on any team in the top 3 at the moment - I think each has a damn good chance to win it. Arsenal is out, IMO (and every time I say that they go on a tear) but the other 3 are just too close to tell. I think Chelsea has the best quality players (except for forwards) of the 3.

I would like to see Bayern vs Pool or Pool vs Athletico. Very interesting duels and Bayern lacks form these days. But after yesterdays brawl vs Dortmund they have to get stable to match Ancelotti. Liverpool plays a great season, best mix of young and old players and a really good tactic. I like it that Sturridge shows his skills in such an amazing manner.

Autobots, roll out.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 07:55:07 AM

The second half by Liverpool today gave me the shakes, and probably a small heart-attack or two. Good times.  Popcorn

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:11 AM

I'm wondering if Haemish did.

Liverpools D at times...oh my god.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 03:05:44 PM

Lots of up and down emotions today.

Raheem Sterling - holy fuck. If he isn't in England's World Cup squad, Roy Hodgson should be fired. The poise that kid showed on that goal was simply peerless. The first half performance was just spectacular.

That second half, though. Fuck me. Liverpool gets in the most trouble when they defend deep because their center backs stand back on their heels and they end up having to make challenges in the box which they have to do with timidity because they don't want to give away a penalty. They perform best when they are pressing higher up the pitch. When they started giving Man City free reign in their own half, I got worried. Both City goals were a result of letting them get too far up the pitch before making challenges. Skrtel just makes me nervous always. I have to give it to both Sakho and Flanagan though - both of them have performed quite well under less than ideal circumstances. Flanagan is a natural right back, FFS but he's done better in his time there than Aly Cissokho has done all season. Send his ass back to Valencia but they don't want or need him.

Toure going down is a HUGE swing in the Prem title race. He is hands down the most valuable member of any side in English football right now - I'd put him up there with Suarez and Hazard in the category of "players their team cannot win the title without." Fuck Ronaldo - Toure is more important to Man City (even with the depth they have) than Ronaldo is to Real Madrid. I'm nervous about Sturridge's injury and it's not good that Henderson is going to miss 3 games for a really stupid challenge (and it was a definite red worthy tackle). But I think they can do it. If they can beat Chelsea at Anfield, I can't see them losing the title.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:10 AM

So, Moyes is out at United. Probably for the best though I would have liked to see what he could do with the ability to completely remake that team (which is apparently what's needed). His ultimate legacy might be that he overpaid for 2 players (Fellaini and Mata) that he continually chose to use in the wrong positions and was unable to get even close to the best out of a litany of world-class players (Kagawa, Van Persie) but I think given time he might have turned the side into something approaching respectability. Now we get all the speculation about whose next, including a whole host of people like Jurgen Klopp who should stay far the fuck away from that cesspool of debt and expectation.

Enjoy your next few years in the relative wilderness, United fans. The Liverpool fans will be crowing in the corner with "Yeah, sucks don't it?" looks of familiarity on their face. Also, suck it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Watched the Chelsea/Athletico game last night. FUCK'S SAKE. Mourinho sure as shit knows how to completely and utterly drain a game of any fucking excitement whatso-fucking-ever. Let's defend with 10 men and have Torres sit at the halfway line looking lost the entire game. SO... FUCKING... BORING.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 08:24:37 AM

But he's special!

To distract us, let's celebrate the ultimate Berbatov being lazy goal

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:00 AM

He's really a pretty decent striker, but yes, I don't think he has ever looked like he's even broken a sweat.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:02 PM

Boy was Moyes out of his depth, I wanted to curl up and die anytime I heard him in an interview, 'we need to aspire to be like City', 'Liverpool come here (Old trafford) as favourites'. On Champions league exit 'It's a great competition, we've really enjoyed it and we need to get back in it.' So gloomy, like listening to soundbytes from someone in a relegation battle not a manager at a top club. Anyway glad he's fucked off, no way would I have trusted him to rebuild the team. Van Gaal sitting favourite right now although some talk of Ancellotti departing Real. Can't see that myself.

Genuinely hope Liverpool win the league from here, playing such exciting football it's hard to deny them. Squeaky bum time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:31:28 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #78 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:04 AM

I expect United will go to an experienced head like Van Gaal or Ancellotti before they would some of the other less well-known guys out there. Unless the atmosphere of ego that is Real Madrid pisses Ancellotti off, I don't see him leaving either. Klopp, Simeone and Conte would all be great for the club, but I don't expect they'll want to go there without Champions League football. Maybe Roberto Martinez could be pried out of Everton but only if they miss out on 4th, otherwise why would he make that move? I still think they'd be better off with some young blood like Pochettino but after grabbing Moyes from a mid-table-ish team, United fans would probably lose their shit at that. Maybe they could convince Rafa Benitez to make the trip.  why so serious?

Now I know what United fans felt like when Roy Hodgson got hired at Liverpool.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 26, 2014, 06:53:01 AM

Now I understand how Liverpool fans felt when Hodgson was there, I thought he was respectable myself from an outside view, but you just know as a fan when a guy isn't the right fit.

Van Gaal is probably the right choice, he has been the catalyst for a rebuild in both Bayern and Barcelona has all the right credentials though it probably won't end well. Interestingly enough Giggs already sounds more like a United manager than DM ever could. "We're Manchester United, we're at home and we expect to win."

Look forward to the game tomorrow, massive crunch match, gonna be watching with a bunch of Pool fans as usual :)

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 26, 2014, 09:30:30 AM

I saw 2 Man Utd season tickets nailed to a tree

I thought, "I'm having them"

Never can have too many nails, can you?  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #81 on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:03 AM

Fuck Jose Mourinho. Fuck him in his pompous, bloated, arrogant, shit-grinning earhole. That's just what I want to see in a title race, a team with more money invested in the B team they put on the pitch than the A team of the team in first place, park a goddamn bus in front of their goal like they are a relegation side. Fuck him, fuck Chelsea, fuck Roman Abramovich, fuck them fuckity fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. The only way that game could have been more galling is if Torres had scored that 2nd goal. The ref should have been handing out yellow cards like goddamn candy for all the bullshit time-wasting Chelsea did from the first goddamn minute.

That said, his bullshit tactic fucking worked. But holy shit is that some dour, unwatchable football. I hope Athletico drub the shit out of them at Stamford Bridge.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 27, 2014, 12:56:59 PM

Well if it wasn't for one horrible slip it would've been a draw which would have been fine for Liverpool. That's some fucking evil shit football gods to do that to Gerrard of all ppl.

And yes, fuck Mourinho.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 02:38:57 PM

Some notable things.

• Chelsea's game plan was appalling but I didn't expect any different.
  • Probably the most physical Chelsea lineup (minus Terry).
  • Sterling was targeted for a bit of kicking.
  • Liverpool's subs were truly awful.
  • Chelseas goalie had more touches than half of his teammates.
  • Coutinho was the man to unravel Chelseas 10 man wall but not his day today.
  • Chelsea are gaping assholes and Mourinho is the king of assholery.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 09:11:13 PM

• Liverpool's subs were truly awful.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem and one of the reasons I doubted they would even get this close to the title. They have no depth. Not having Henderson didn't help as he's much better than Joe Allen. And not having Sturridge from the start, or being able to use Victor Moses (who hasn't been great but he's made more of an impact than fucking Aspas). They just don't have anything on the bench at all.

Still, if they win both games AND Man City slips up... they can still win the title.

WayAbvPar

Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:58 PM

Clint Dempsey is on fucking FIRE right now. I hope this translates to the WC, but it is probably more due to the level of competition he is seeing in MLS. He and Obafemi Martins are just clowning defenses. It is so much fun to watch!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 28, 2014, 12:08:43 PM

MLS talk!

In a slightly related note, I just found out last night that I've been playing indoor soccer with Diego Fagundez's (NE Rev's) mother for the last month.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 03:47:49 PM

Suck it Chelsea! Suck it Bayern!

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 30, 2014, 04:02:23 PM

MLS talk!

In a slightly related note, I just found out last night that I've been playing indoor soccer with Diego Fagundez's (NE Rev's) mother for the last month.

I normally take my MLS talk elsewhere, but Diego is the shit.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 05, 2014, 01:48:23 PM

ACK!

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:40 PM

Sigh.  Facepalm

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #91 on: May 05, 2014, 07:45:41 PM

Fuck you, Martin Skrtel. Mob

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37:30 PM

'Puncheon's Pre Pulis Palace Penalty' (Sorry couldn't help it)

'How not celebrate when you equalize against the bottom team in the league at home and managing the champions.'

'How to throw away the league'

'Even our hard men are talented fuckers'

'Proof : Arsenal always try to walk it in'

'Take a bow son, take a bow'
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:41:28 PM by Amarr HM »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #93 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:58 PM

Your "how to throw away the league" should be the Gerrard slip or really any of about 6 Martin Skrtel highlights. Fucker.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 14, 2014, 02:53:52 PM

Nah Gerrard was a hero most of the season, would be unfair to single him out. More the lack of quality coming off the bench summed it up for me. Skrtel scored a lot of important goals which balanced out his complete inability to play with ball at feet.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:55:46 PM by Amarr HM »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #95 on: May 14, 2014, 03:01:35 PM

I'd have taken "Skrtel scored fewer own goals" to be honest.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 14, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

Sadly the Crystal Palace tie ended up not mattering shit.

Dislike Arsenal but I love that goal. In my books GOTY.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14  
Jump to: