Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14  (Read 26992 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:00 AM

Jonjo Shelvy's game vs. Liverpool summed up in 4 emotes:

DRILLING AND MANLINESS swamp poop ACK! awesome, for real

The long version. (which actually had been posted just 15 minutes before I posted my version..:P)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:56:13 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 09:07:18 AM

That was one hell of a game. I am concerned by Liverpool's tendency to go a goal up then retreat into a goddamn shell. They need to stand on team's throats and instead they are inviting teams to come onto them. Sturridge claims he's still not fit and he's probably right - he seems world class for about 30 minutes, then doesn't do much more right now. He needs to get fit. Maybe when Hannibal is back, he can get some rest. Iago Aspas has so far shown me nothing. He looks totally unable to hold the ball up when it comes to him. Hopefully he'll do better against some of the lesser teams coming up on the fixture list. The new central defender, Sakho, though? That motherfucker looks a star in the making. He's fucking huge and strong but he seems to have some really great feet. His ball control and ability to pass out of the back is the thing that Agger has and that Skrtel lacks.

Also, I really hate that Liverpool sold Shelvey. He's young and he makes a lot of young boy mistakes like that horrible back pass for the first goal or the hotheaded tendency he has to show his bollocks. But when he's on his game, he has got plenty of goals in him.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:58 AM

Fuck's sake, Liverpool. Bad enough most people think you have no creative player if Suarez is out, you have to go and prove it. Of course, had Coutinho been there, that might not be true but with both out? Absolutely no playmaker - at least not with Gerrard playing so deep. Aspas has shown me fuckall in the 6 games I've seen him in, just a total nonentity. Henderson lacks the passing vision to be the guy behind the striker or to play on the wing in that formation. Sturridge got shit for service all game, but then he was stuck out on the wing the whole time and couldn't do what he should be doing. Why play him on the wing? Does not compute. And why play Sakho AND Toure on the wings to start the game? Neither one is a good wingback which is what the formation requires. Wisdom isn't a great right back but he's about equal to Toure in that respect. Enrique IS a left back though, so play him and put Sakho centrally. Team sheet just didn't make sense, even against a "lesser" team like Southampton.

Also, LOL UNITED.

Arsenal is top the table. That won't last but enjoy it while it does, just like Liverpool did.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:11 PM

I wonder if Moyes can feel Ferguson staring at him..

Oh and JEEZUS Spurs, what were you trying to prove? Lloris was out of the box on that save at the start so they got away with one there....then you decide to wait till the 92nd frickin minute to score just because what? All the previous shots weren't pretty enough?   Damn nice backheel though Paulinho.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:53 PM

I wonder if Moyes can feel Ferguson staring at him..

Hard as fuck stepping into the shoes of an actual still living legend. Especially when you do almost nothing in the transfer window until the last day and what you do isn't necessarily what you need to do.

United will be fine just based on the talent on that team, but they won't win the title. I think it'll come down to City and Chelsea at this point.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 09:52:05 AM

Bayern  ACK!

Joe Hart playing goalie   swamp poop

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 01:25:31 PM

Not sure about City contending. Their D and 'keeping are a real worry. Need to show they can win on the road.
I get the feeling Chelsea is only going to get stronger as the season progresses, while Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool fall off in consistency. Maybe Arsenal could be Chelsea's main competition?
I'm hoping for a nice wide open race through the end of the season, with dreams of a 5-6 team race come the spring.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:47 PM

I recall reading an article a year or so ago which shared ideas for how to appear knowledgable about English soccer. Top tip was simply drop into conversation how Arsenal is always trying to pass the goal into the back of the net....

Well sometimes it looks real pretty.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 12:16:27 AM

So a lot of things have happened. There are three teams which I have caught almost every game they have played in the past two weeks so I'll start with them.

Arsenal:
The shitty espn writers seem to be making a big fuss out of the Liverpool win, at home. That game was not convincing to me at all and I think the game against Dortmund was much more indicative of how I expect them to fair against top sides the rest of the year. I'm happy for Arsenal, they are playing the most attractive football in the Prem again, its been much more effective than many past seasons, they have tons of talent and I can't see them finishing outside the top 4 with this head start. That said they still have a frail and brittle feel to them they clearly lack depth as the B team battle with Chelsea showed. I just can't remember a year where Arsenal didn't have starters they couldn't stay on the field so I still don't see them as a team that will win the league.

I do think that their BPL outlook is better than their CL outlook though.

Sunderland:
This has been torture. I mean absolute torture. Then they beat Newcastle and there was a chance things were being righted than jesus what a complete and utter trainwreck of a game. I can't think of the last time I saw such a mess. Completely cocking up the US's chances in Brasil because this mess is going to derail Altidore entirely. What a fucking dumpster fire.

Real Madrid:
There's just no way they are topping Barca this year. Barca looks like a well oiled system where everyone knows what's going on and RM is getting by purely on having such a rediculous all star cast. There is no real system. Its an absolute mess. They are giving up goals to anybody who shows up as a result. Every single game they play is stressful and their home fans are the absolute worst. They need Benzema so badly and these fucking idiots are booing him and doing their best to destroy his confidence because they hate winning or something. Who knows how good they will do in Champion's League but considering how bad their defense is I can't see them winning anything this year. Shame too because they are insanely talented all over the pitch and during the 10 minutes or so a game where 11 guys happen to be on the same page its a crazy level to see the game played at.

Globally I can't fucking believe the UEFA playoff draw. How did Portugal and France get the two best pot 2 teams in Sweden and Ukraine? What a waste, I mean I'll be happy if Romania and/or Iceland get to play in the world cup but being denied either Ibra or Ronaldo is a travesty.

More general thoughts, fuck Moyes and fuck Hodgeson I hope United and England get pasted from here on out. What's going on in Italy with Roma is pretty nuts. I haven't caught much of Serie A but I did see Bradley's crazy winner live sort of (was half asleep).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:18:08 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 08:48:10 AM

Liverpool was overmatched for most of that game against Arsenal. That 3-5-2 that Rodgers has been running works great against lesser teams but against a team that has some speed and quality? It doesn't work, and all that talk of a possession passing game goes out the window. Liverpool's 3 in midfield this year aren't doing a good enough job of keeping the ball consistently. I think it's partly because Rodgers is forcing Gerrard to play the withdrawn role alongside Lucas and leaving Henderson to go forward. It should be the reverse, IMO. Gerrard can run the midfield, Henderson for all his work rate and versatility just isn't in the same league. Of course, with Coutinho back, Gerrard will be withdrawn again but unfortunately that probably means they'll still some place for Henderson despite their being better options. I think losing Glenn Johnson before the start of that Arsenal game didn't help. Flanagan isn't bad, but he ain't Glenn Johnson.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 08:53:10 AM

I wouldn't say they were overmatched at all. Outclassed and bossed in mid field for stretches but they were making good chances for themselves quite often for a team that was overmatched. Gerrard and Lucas got dominated but tactically they seemed to be shutting out Oezil. Put it this way, if forced to bet on the return match at Anfield right now I'd bet on a LFC win not a draw.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:06 AM

Sure, but that was my point. A game with Rodgers system is won in the midfield - and LFC was not winning that fight at all. They were so concerned about Oezil (as they should be) that they couldn't stop Cazorla or Ramsey (who is just on fucking FIRE lately). They were better when they went to 4 at the back, but not much. LFC has the advantage up front - Suarez/Sturridge beats Giroud hands down, if they can get the service. In the midfield though? Right now that edge is with Arsenal because of how good Ramsey has been as well as because Arteta in the holding role is a better passer than Lucas will ever be. Joe Allen might have been a better choice if he was in better form.

The Anfield match though? I'd agree with you. That may be the exact opposite type of game. I also agree with you that Arsenal doesn't have the depth to win the title. They are one or two injuries away from being in a lot of draws. Giroud goes down? Bad news, because an extended run of Bendtner should be your worst nightmare.

WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:02 PM

Sounders shopping EJ?

PLEASE let this happen ASAP. If they can get a CB who isn't slow as fuck and/or mentally challenged it would be a coup, but just getting that asshole out of town is worth whatever they can get.

tl;dr fuck Eddie Johnson

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 01:43:30 PM

Mexico is laying a beatdown on New Zealand.  Guess they'll get into the WC after all.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 10:22:22 AM

The US did NOT have a good world cup draw. Ghana, Germany and Portugal. ouchies.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:42 AM

Brazil's group is such a joke. Everything about these World Cups is rigged.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:46 AM

I have no idea what the seeds were, but geezus, there are some easy groups. (Like all of them my two  countries aren't in.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:28 PM

Group E.
Honduras, Ecuador, Switzerland and France.

What does the E stand for? Easy.

Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:57 PM

on the plus side this gives the USMNT tons of time to prep for 2018  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 11:58:40 AM

Luis Suarez.   swamp poop DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 09:42:05 PM

He is the tits.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, the whole thing with Malkay Macay and the Cardiff owner is fucking idiotic as hell. Tan seems like he just wants to shitcan the guy and sabotage the whole deal, but after the way, he's treated Mackay, what manager would want to go there? Only the ones who will take a job anywhere.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:17 PM

Fun week in the PL.

Arsenal ..LOL
Chelsea, Man City  Ohhhhh, I see.
Man U  why so serious?

Go Spurs!..:P~

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 03:10:42 PM

LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:45 PM

That was fun wasn't it? Especially at the expense of Arsenal. When they are on they are I think the most exciting team to watch in the league.

Watching Man U absolutely BOMBARD Fulham for seventy minutes was fun, then having them give up the tying goal in extra time...LOLers.

Anyways a nice tight 3 way race heading into spring is great, lets hope Liverpool makes it a real 4 way. I WANT CHAOS! (Even without a vested interest watching the last day of the pl two years ago was one of the best sporting events I've ever seen)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 08:01:50 PM

I really don't think Liverpool has the strength in midfield to challenge for the title, but stranger things... The real race I'm looking for is fourth place and that Champion's League spot. I think both Chelsea and Man City are going to keep Liverpool from winning as they both have better squad depth and better central midfield strength. Yaya Toure is just the bee's knees, IMO. The fact that Chelsea sold Mata to Man. U. just kills me because he is a world class footballer. He won't help Man U win... well, anything. Moyes needs to clean house over there.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 12:31:58 PM

. Yaya Toure is just the bee's knees,

His brother, not so much...  ACK!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:44 PM

Kolo Toure is going to give me a fucking ulcer. As a matter of fact, Liverpool's entire defense is going to do the same. I swear, every time the ball came into the Liverpool box tonight, my sphincter clinched hard enough to shatter diamonds. Good on Fulham for actually giving us a game. And a gift penalty.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:00 AM

In Liverpool's case, it's not 4th place they can be totally satisfied with, they have to shoot for 3rd.

3rd goes straight into the CL proper, whereas 4th have to qualify in the tough 'non-champions' qualifying, and they have to do so with a terrible seeding having missed the CL for a few years, it is quite likely they'd have to get past a Spanish, Italian, German or French side.

Also there is the risk, however remote, that Man Utd will win the damn thing this year and I don't see the FA going into bat for Liverpool the way they did for Everton in 2005.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:41 PM

That chance is so slim that it really isn't worth mentioning.

-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 07:21:33 PM

Man U will be lucky to get into Europe League the way their season is going.

As for Liverpool, they need to go for broke on the title challenge. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Their remaining games against Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City are at Anfield, where they have been insanely good. Their only tough remaining road games are at Southampton (who always seem to give them trouble) and Man U who are still not playing well even with Mata. Meanwhile Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City still have Champions League commitments and both Arsenal and Man City are still in the FA Cup and Man City has the Capital One Cup Final. Those extra games could very well wear on the teams above Liverpool.

Still, I'd be ecstatic with 4th, considering how long they've been out of the Champions League.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 29, 2014, 10:00:49 AM

Palace!

Crowd chanting 'Sit down Mourinho' at the end was my favourite part.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 02:59:13 PM

Shocking year to date. Rodgers has done a very good job with Liverpool.

Still don't know why Moyes was ever hired. Will hopefully get sacked after Bayern thrash us.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:50 AM

I thought Moyes would do a LOT better than he has. His Everton teams were at times a lot more dynamic than this Man U team. I've seen them play 5 times now (Chelsea, both Liverpool BPL games and the FA Cup game, and Man City) and they just look to have no creativity whatsoever anywhere on the pitch. Which makes no sense, because they have creative players. Their defense is a bit of a shambles at the moment and they all look completely bereft of confidence.

Liverpool, despite some of the most awkward defense I've ever seen, are playing crazy good even when they aren't crazy good. You can say it's all about Suarez and Sturridge but you'd only be half right. In a lineup like they showed against Spurs this weekend, they are 5 guys you could expect to make legit scoring runs into the box or shots at any time - Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson and the front 2. And those could come from anywhere on the pitch, plus you still have Gerrard backing them up. If you take away half of Suarez and Sturridge's goals, you still have a team that would be challenging for top 4 despite their shitty defense. AND you have a side that can play 3-4 different formations and play them pretty well most days - that's a mark of Rodgers quality as a tactician and a coach. The side is doing MUCH better than I expected given their depth, defense and the issues with suspension and injury they had at the start of the season. That said, I wouldn't put money down on any team in the top 3 at the moment - I think each has a damn good chance to win it. Arsenal is out, IMO (and every time I say that they go on a tear) but the other 3 are just too close to tell. I think Chelsea has the best quality players (except for forwards) of the 3.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:23 AM

2 things going for Liverpool - Both Man City and Chelsea have to play at Anfield.

Lotta fun watching the Reds play...every time they get possession you except something to happen.

WayAbvPar

Reply #69 on: April 05, 2014, 03:31:58 PM

Holy shit Sounders @ Timbers was AMAZING. Shame it was on cable instead of NBC proper.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2013/14  
Jump to: