Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls  (Read 367016 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #210 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

I unironically liked that freaking forum grognard's Loot 2.0 proposition more since his ideas (making normally useless stats do stuff based on legendary/set items) and so on were more interesting than what they've proposed so far.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #211 on: August 29, 2013, 03:44:37 PM

I haven't had DQ in a while, sounds delicious!

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:58 PM

I liked how Tannhauser linked Blizzard to DQ.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: August 29, 2013, 04:39:48 PM

Well, we've had this discussion before, but most of my hours played in Diablo 2 were closed battle.net and I traded with a lot of people.  So to me the idea of using items I didn't find myself is pretty normal.  I do understand that this isn't how most people played the game - especially around here.  Personally, I'd have been just as happy if this game didn't have an AH as long as it had a decent chat channels to make trading a little easier.

Of course, the main issue is that regardless you don't find enough decent stuff on your own in Diablo 3 - especially while leveling.  There is absolutely no reason to have such low drop rates for decent stuff when leveling, particularly from bosses.  In my Diablo 2 example, my luck was terrible.  In Diablo 3, the experience is totally normal.

There's a HUGE difference between trading with players on a closed battle.net server and the D3 auction house.  The former requires communication between user and a lot of manual effort (which helps form a community).  It also limits how many items are available.  This definitely enhances the game.

The auction house is a massive collection of items sold by faceless individuals with no effort or interaction.  You just apply some search filters browse some tooltips and bam, you have the best equpment you could afford with 1 minute of effort.

I think just people's mentality around equipment would be much better if they tried to use trading to foster communities and interaction between people, rather than hiding behind a menu system.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:23 PM

The "primary stat" concept sucks monkey balls and it always has.

Who knew?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: August 29, 2013, 07:12:45 PM

The "primary stat" concept sucks monkey balls and it always has.

Who knew?

People who play games, rather than those who think of game design itself as a game.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:01 PM

“however it’s not the core fantasy, it’s not the most fun and by the endgame, for a variety of reasons, they tend to check the auction house first and play the game second.”

There are no 'variety of reasons' we go to the AH, that's where the good gear is.  This quote almost makes it sound like they are blaming the player.

Under the guise of 'protecting the players' you put in two AH's and an always online restriction.  You then got your cut from the AH's since that is where the good gear resides while dumb fucks like me played and played fruitlessly hoping for that good drop.  In the name of skimming off the top, you tarnished your brand.  

Now that a year's gone by and you've wrung as much as possible from the AH money mills, you announce that you will make drops valuable, coincidentally just before your xpac is released.

'We're sorry, why not try our xpac?  You know we've learned from our mistakes.  We're sorry.  Our xpac fixes all the problems and will blow you tonight behind the Dairy Queen.  Did I mention that we're sorry?'

I'm sorry too Blizzard, I'm sorry to see what you've become.

Um, what? Not to defend a company that has gone downhill in a big way, but they're not blaming the player here they're blaming the loot system. Also, none of this is new info. Info on their wanting to reduce the reliance on the AH is older, loot 2.0 coming is older news, the only new news (which was anticipated) was the expansion. We're all sorry what they've become though and I may preorder if it came with a BJ and a mint oreo blizzard why so serious?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:34 PM

We're all sorry what they've become though and I may preorder if it came with a BJ and a mint oreo blizzard why so serious?

Is it wrong that the bolded feels like the better part of this offer?

On topic: they've acknowledged the game's flaws a bunch of times at this point but it remains to be seen whether they can actually pull off fixing any of it. So far the expansion feels like way too little in terms of changes to loot.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:47 AM

My plan is to go back after the loot patch and level up a new character.  If I can have fun doing it without the AH maybe I'll give the expansion a shot.
WayAbvPar

Reply #219 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:19 AM

My plan is to go back after the loot patch and level up a new character.  If I can have fun doing it without the AH maybe I'll give the expansion a shot.

Ditto. Seems fair.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: August 30, 2013, 10:40:02 AM

Spoiler alert:  You won't.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:15 PM

More info on stat rerolling (or the current state it is in)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:33 PM

Sounds good.

Goes without saying that it shouldn't be needed, but hey ho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: September 12, 2013, 12:13:51 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #224 on: September 12, 2013, 01:04:36 PM

Game modes, guilds, and challenges all sounds like good ideas.

Won't matter though if the loot isn't fixed.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #225 on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:12 PM

The PS3 version is a lot, lot of fun.  Once the AH crap is removed from my mind, the game just becomes about the fun again. 

Question, though... My dual wield characters don't have their attack value increased when an off hand weapon is added.  On the character sheet, a 1hd/shield has say 20att and 50def, but a 1hd/offhd has a 20att and 0def.  Was the PC version like that?  I can't tell if its a UI bug, an actual game bug or some system within the stats that I don't understand properly.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: September 12, 2013, 01:57:31 PM

This is more or less it.  All the bells and whistles in the world won't save them if they can't get the loot right.  I like the idea of a ladder system in general, I hope they have ladder seasons.
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:49 PM

From the posts it does appear there are going to be ladder seasons.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #228 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:18 PM

This is more or less it.  All the bells and whistles in the world won't save them if they can't get the loot right.  I like the idea of a ladder system in general, I hope they have ladder seasons.

Some of the item affixes sound fun.  We'll see.

They lost good will when they waited to fix all this shit to sell boxes instead of fixing the game.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #229 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:16 PM

Blizzard's goodwill has been on a slide since they decided to make StarCraft 2 a 3 box sale, for reasons that make absolutely no sense to any gamer anywhere.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:00 PM

Blizzard's goodwill has been on a slide since they decided to make StarCraft 2 a 3 box sale, for reasons that make absolutely no sense to any gamer anywhere.

Because why sell it in one box when you can build two expansion packs worth of profit into your design document.  Ohhhhh, I see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #231 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:29 PM

If they didn't put it out in 3 boxes, it wouldn't have been released until 2018. Also, it sort of makes sense as it allows massive esport updates.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #232 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:10 PM

The single player campaigns are about the same length as SC2's or Brood War's, each. It's plenty of content for 3 boxes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #233 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:41 PM

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that some people would defend that decision but for the life of me I can't see it as anything but a stone cold cash grab.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:04 PM

Was Brood War a cash grab? I mean to an extent every expansion to every game is, and most companies plan their expansions before games come out, right?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: September 12, 2013, 02:51:12 PM

I liked SC/BW better because each featured a (shorter) campaign for all three races. That way you got to play as the race you liked in each game, instead of only in one game.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: September 12, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

Oh sure, there are plenty of objections that can be made about the story structure or the Metzen quotient, etc., I just don't think a 'game + 2 expansions' model is some kind of grand heist being perpetrated on consumers.

schild
Administrator

Reply #237 on: September 12, 2013, 02:53:31 PM

That is the ONLY argument against how they are decided to release SC2. The only one.

And it's not great because people really shouldn't be buying Starcraft for Campaign Mode.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:58 PM

That is the ONLY argument against how they are decided to release SC2. The only one.

And it's not great because people really shouldn't be buying Starcraft for Campaign Mode.

Which is actually funny, because according to Blizzard most people don't even play multiplayer when they buy SC2.  Although I would add parenthetically that the "Use Map Settings" maps (now called Custom games) have actually gotten pretty darn solid since Heart of the Swarm.  Not quite on the level of Warcraft 3's modding community, but a lot of fun ones are out there now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #239 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:35 PM

Yea, I know. I'm just saying they SHOULDN'T be. I would consider buying it for the map mods / custom games to be a strike against the campaigns anyway. As in, it, along with multiplayer is why people should be buying it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: September 12, 2013, 03:03:43 PM

Eh, I'm one of those people who mostly only plays the single player stuff. Even as one of them, I think it's pretty much a wash between the benefits of each box having 3 short campaigns or 1 long one for a single race, I like all the stuff they do with unit upgrades and the like, which would be lacking or rushed if you were switching between races all the time.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: September 12, 2013, 03:14:02 PM

Heart of the Swarm single player campaign was pretty decent (gameplay, the story was lollore worthy), but I just know that I don't personally get enough value out of just that to justify the purchase.  If there was a cheaper, multiplayer only version I would probably go that direction.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #242 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:48 PM

You guys are missing the point. Debating the merits of full-priced box release(s) or no is nice, but irrelevant, if the games are shit.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: September 12, 2013, 03:21:01 PM

Because 100 more pages of 'I don't know if you've heard, but the loot in Diablo 3 kind of sucks' would be totally preferable.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #244 on: September 12, 2013, 03:23:25 PM

Heart

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls  
Jump to: