Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 213235 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:33 PM

The grand irony is that Wii Sports was actually really terrible.  Really terrible.  I always thought it was more of a tech demo of what they might be able to achieve, not what they actually did achieve.

I am trying to think back, and the only gaming moments I can recall on the Wii where I thought to myself "wow, this implementation of the motion control is awesome!" were some parts of Twilight Princess, some parts of Mario Party 8, and pretty much all of Tiger Woods.  In fact, aside from ass graphics, Tiger Woods was a fantastic game on Wii.  There were a couple other games that were fun, but more in spite of the controls than because of it.  And it is a shame, because I actually still think there is potential in the idea.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #876 on: August 04, 2014, 10:50:52 PM

Performing a jerk off motion to power my light saber in No More Heroes was really great.  swamp poop

No thanks.

-Rasix
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #877 on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:46 AM

Tell me more.  this guy looks legit

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:15:25 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #878 on: August 05, 2014, 03:48:11 AM

No More Heroes was pretty damn good.  The Wiimote kinda sucks, though.  The new one is better, but I'm still using WAGGLE as a button even in Pikmin 3.  WAGGLE is not a button, and not really because I'm a purist but because I have to be careful not to readjust myself on the sofa and accidentally my pikmin.

Let's talk about some more horseshit that I only found out about a day or two ago: Playstation TV and Playstaton Now.  Besides terrible marketing names, what am I looking at here?  A Sony-brand Roku?  I have my doubts about game streaming.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: August 05, 2014, 03:57:49 AM

Yeah, I just don't think people want to pay to stream PS3 games to their PS4s.  What they want to do is to play their already owned PS3 disks on the PS4.  It'll probably be something of a low maintenance cash cow for them, but the whole thing is shitty.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #880 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:49 AM

I don't know that I want to stream any game of any era.  Sometimes AT+T betrays me.  I guess if you don't have the budget for a PS4/3/V then you might be able to convince yourself to drop a Franklin on the streaming device.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: August 05, 2014, 07:15:40 PM

I love Wii Sports! Specifically Tennis and Golf. Also jerking off to power up your sword in No More Heroes great, it totally works in the context of the game.

In general I agree that "waggle" is not great though. The Wii Remote is actually really good as a pointer - for games like RE4, Sin and Punishment, etc. But as a "motion controller" it's not good. Motion controls just always have precision problems, drift issues, the problem of physical motions not mapping well to in-game ones, etc.
---

Playstation Now allows you to stream laggy, artifacty old games for a high price. No thanks.

I'm not down with the whole game streaming thing. If I have a new console and a nice TV I don't want laggy artifacty bullshit. I don't want to stream a PS3 game that looks and controls objectively worse than it did on a PS3.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: August 06, 2014, 05:09:21 AM

And as far as that goes...I wonder how many games you would have to pay to stream before it would be more cost beneficial to simply go out and buy a used PS3 and buy or rent used games?  Last gen games tend to get super cheap at some point, for the physical copies anyway.

And I still maintain this is not what people want.  New console users don't give a fuck about PS3 games when they can get their COD and FIFA fix on the new gen for the same price, and us older users already own those games on our PS3s and are pissed about the lack of compatibility.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #883 on: August 06, 2014, 06:49:39 AM

Of course, it doesn't have anything to do with consumer desires... except the consumers that like to pirate things, I guess.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #884 on: August 07, 2014, 08:23:27 PM

Nintendo deserves what they get for having so many fucking same titles and characters.  Even disney knows you need new properties in addition to whoring out your old characters.

There's also the issue that console sales are down overall in Japan, which has always been a solid base for Nintendo. Mobile gaming is taking market share.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #885 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37:20 PM

PS4 sure is a great console, but the PS store is just utter garbage.

Decided to buy a Diablo 4 Ultimate Evil Edition.  After the purchase store shows me everything twice. Game install, preorder bonus and patch file. One game install is tallied at 20 GB the other at 42 GB. Proceeds to queue  and download both. One game install is marked as "Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition", the bigger one as "Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition (German)"

Why it has to be that way is described nowhere, there is no info on the versions whatsoever. One would assume, that the smaller download is English and the larger German. Turns out the 20 GB install is Polish and Russian, although it is not labelled as such, the bigger download is English, French, Italian, Spanish and German. How do I know because I downloaded the smaller install and was surprised that my game was in polish.

PSN store does similar shit all the time. Vita and PS3 versions aren't clearly labelled, you get two or three if fervent install options that aren't clearly marked and downloads are usually slow as molasses.

Doesn't explain why Blizzard felt the need to make the PS4 version take up more then 40 GB when the PC install including language packs is less than half of that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #886 on: August 26, 2014, 10:47:42 AM

A white PS4 is on its way to my house, because I could save ten dollars.  Ten dollars and that 1983 feel.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #887 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:23 AM

I thought those didn't ship until destiny releases in a couple weeks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #888 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:46 PM

The time between when I press the order button and when I find it on my doorstep counts as "on its way".

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: August 26, 2014, 02:23:37 PM

I caved and ordered one of those too. Destiny looks quite good despite my hatred of thumbstick shooters, and I've wanted a PS4 anyway.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:54 PM

Isn't Destiny just yet another soulless online bro-shooter?  That's the impression I got from a preview a while back. 

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #891 on: August 27, 2014, 03:37:41 AM

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #892 on: August 27, 2014, 07:04:08 AM

Isn't Destiny just yet another soulless online bro-shooter?  That's the impression I got from a preview a while back. 

Maybe, but my crew isn't playing Borderlands 2 anymore.

schild
Administrator

Reply #893 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:20 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #894 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:01 AM

Even I like to provide an illusion of sophistication at times.

schild
Administrator

Reply #895 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:45 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #896 on: August 28, 2014, 05:25:03 AM

As in Shigeru Miyamoto?

tl;dr

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #897 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:46 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking that ship sailed a long time ago.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #898 on: August 29, 2014, 06:19:00 AM

"Mai handsu, much pain, very ache!"

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #899 on: August 29, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

So Nintendo announced their new 3ds today, after all the trouble they have had with people not realizing the WiiU is a different console than the Wii they gave the new 3ds a nice, clear name.  It is named "New 3ds".  As in the word "New" is actually part of the product name.

Is this real or do they have some sort of April Fool's day in Japan in late August?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: August 29, 2014, 01:19:11 PM

Is there really a problem with people thinking the WiiU is the Wii?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #901 on: August 29, 2014, 02:05:26 PM

Yes, it's been a big problem for them, especially among the "non-core" gamers who bought into the Wii.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: August 29, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

My wife and I were visiting home earlier in the summer and we were telling people we bought a Wii U and got a lot of "Oh we already have a Wii"
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

I had no idea what the WiiU was until the Mario Kart 8 hype train left the station.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #904 on: August 29, 2014, 04:08:45 PM

No might be about it. They've lost an entire generation of 'core' folks due to older gamers trashing the Wii and the obscurity of the Wii U.  Add-on not having a new property in what, 10 or 15 years and they're toast with the "core" market.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #905 on: August 29, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

Yes, it's been a big problem for them, especially among the "non-core" gamers who bought into the Wii.
Which reminds me of the issue Nintendo has with the 2DS. They actually puts stickers on same 3DS games letting people know that yes in fact the 2DS plays 3DS games.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #906 on: August 29, 2014, 04:39:02 PM

That seems more than legit, though, as I wouldn't have assumed the 3ds games played on the 2ds myself. Especially not in today's world of no backwards compatibility on the console side of the world.

Also a problem with marketing several SKUs at once. Consumers to expect things only work with the listed product, not all products in that line. How many other products are cross-compatible anymore?  "Oh crap, I bought the adapter/ belt/ air filter/ tool/ ink cartridge/ tape for <other model>. Now I'll have to exchange it."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: August 29, 2014, 09:06:59 PM

Nintendo recently has had a problem with releasing multiple "versions" of the same console without actually changing much. They aren't alone (PS3 Slim/Super Slim, Xbox 360/Elite/Slim) but they're the worst about particularly with the original DS: DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL all played the exact same games. Then the 3DS comes out and it's like, "Does that just play my DS games in 3D?" which hurt sales a lot. The Wii U has the same marketing problem, particularly given that it still uses the Wii-mote and Nunchuk. Some people thought it was just the same console; others thought you were just buying the tablet controller thing. Of that second group, some thought it was a Wii addon, while others thought it was a portable Wii.

When your target demographic is casuals/nongamers clarity of message is very important, and I can't count how many times I had to explain the difference between DS and 3DS or Wii and Wii U while working in retail. Sony has always been clear since they're just Playstation++; Microsoft's naming convention is stupid, but at least everyone realizes that the Xbone isn't the same as the 360. I'm assuming Nintendo kept the Wii name to retain that core fanbase, but why they didn't call it Wii 2 is beyond me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #908 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:18 PM

You mean Super Nintendo Wii. Why didn't they call it that. Or at least the Super Wii.

Or just, gotten rid of that naming convention altogether because the Wii was and continues to be the worst named console ever.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #909 on: August 30, 2014, 12:44:05 AM

OUYA comes in at number 2 on that particular list.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: