Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 215743 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #385 on: December 02, 2013, 12:56:48 PM

Less than 10,000 in an initial shipment of several million is lots now? That's a less than 1% failure rate for probably both consoles.One dude uploading a video of a failing unit doesn't equal lots of broken units.
Well considering that the scuttlebutt had Sony asking Amazon to stop selling (and allowing 3rd parties to list) the PS4 because so many were arriving DOA I would say that is a lot. Right now, depending on the PS4 model that you pick on Amazon, up to 1/3rd of all reviews are 1 star because of these issues. Yes the actual failure rate on the PS4 and Xbox One may fall within "industry norms" but times have changed and problems like these are being magnified by the Internet to a far greater extent than when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #386 on: December 02, 2013, 01:02:59 PM

I just bought a new computer because it's cyber monday and I don't really think these consoles are going to offer me anything like Steam can in the next year and change.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #387 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:21 AM

As of today and according to Sony's own official press release, Sony managed to sell 2.1 Million PS 4 in the last two weeks - about 1 m in each launch market. They managed to break the launch sales record of 180,000 units in the UK previously held by the PSP, outsold the Xbox One 2:1 in the UK and already managed to surpass the lifetime to date sales of the Wii U in the UK. By the end of the year the PS 4 will have sold more units than the global lifetime to date sales of the Wii U

If they manage to keep up stock they might end up with 4 million units sold by December 31st.

MS hasn't released official numbers yet but they seem to be significantly lower than the PS 4 numbers in all markets according to 'insiders' even in the US and UK.

The launch of Super Mario 3D World doesn't seem to affect Wii U sales at all. It has launched abysmally in almost all markets even Japan - in fact it was the worst launch for a Mario game ever in Japan. In most markets the game didn't even manage to enter the top 10 of the sales charts.

With that in mind I'll be surprised if the Wii U sells more than 10 million consoles.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: December 03, 2013, 02:24:41 AM

regarding the discussion in the 'So what are you playing thread' regarding Nintendo competing against Sony/MS.

I seriously think that they don't know how they can compete except by being different. I suppose they don't even know what went wrong or how to fix it.

Even when they have the more powerful platforms they lose out and if it weren't for the unexpected success of the Wii (which will prove to be the Albatross around Nintendo's back eventually) I don't know if they would even make home consoles anymore. The Nintendo 64 was on paper a much more powerful platform than the Playstation (One).  93 MHz 64 bit MIPS processor, SGI-based graphics co-processor with 64 bit and 62,5 MHz, 8 MB of RD-RAM, unified memory architecture with a bus bandwidth of 250 MB/s. The playstation on the other hand had a 33 MHZ, 32 bit MIPS processor, 132 MB/s bus bandwidth, 2 MB RAM and a weaker graphics co-processor. The Playstation had similar performace than the Sega Saturn, but the hardware architecture of the Saturn was so weird with dual CPU and six (!) co-processors on a shared memory bus, that it didn't gain any traction with developers. The Playstation had a hardware codec and video (de)-compressor chip on board and could decode FMV, which the Nintendo could not

The Nintendo 64 was also the cheapest console at launch going for $199 vs the Playstation's $299 and the Saturn's ridiculous $399.

Yet the Playstation outsold the NIntendo 64 4:1 (120 m vs 30m)

Same deal with gamecube vs. Playstation 2. The gamecube was much more powerful on paper. 485 MHz PPC CPU 162 MHz Ati graphics co-processor, 42 MB of RAM vs. 192 MHz 'Emotion-Engine' MIPS processor, 32 MB of RAM and a 147 MHz 'graphics synthesizer' co-processor.

Yet the PS2 outsold the gamecube nearly 8:1 (155 m vs. 21 m) and even the original Xbox managed to sell slightly more than the GC.

The explanation always was that Nintendo's insistence on using proprietary storage formats (because license fees) led them to a point where the more powerful platform couldn't compete on content. The Nintendo 64 had 64 MB max for cartridges and obviously couldn't compete with the CD-ROM based FMV capable Playstation games and the gamecube's Mini-DVD only stored 1.2 GB vs the 4.8 GB of the PS 2's DVD-ROM.

Sony also had more third party support than Nintendo because they treated them better and the initial 'buy-in' to develop for the Playstation was lower than for Nintendo platforms.

Nintendo also doesn't want to sell their consoles at a loss even if it is a small loss. They want to be profitable from day one so they couldn't offer a similar package to the Xbox One or PS 4 which both lose around $50 - $70 on each sale let alone being cheaper than the other two.

So I don't see how they could compete with Sony/Ms except by 'recreating the magic' and somehow having another Wii on thier hands, which probably won't happen.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: December 03, 2013, 02:28:29 AM

I want to say the PS1's popularity came from how easy it was to pirate the games. Lined up with CD burners becoming affordable.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #390 on: December 03, 2013, 02:40:03 AM

Anecdotal, but that's 100% what happened in Italy. People got the PS1 because they knew once they shelled out the money for the console, they had access to a virtually unlimited game library for a nominal fee. Pirated games were sold for the equivalent of 1$ to 3$ in temporary stalls in front of grocery stores or pushed to you by foreign underpaid illegal workers at any relevant venue on weekend nights.

All of a sudden people who never cared about videogames wanted a Playstation, cause it was cool, fun and so incredibly cheap.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #391 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:53 AM

I wonder why it didn't kill the PS1 like it did the Dreamcast then?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:11 AM

Most likely because the PS 1 sold 108 million units over its lifetime and the PS 2 sold 150 million units but the Dreamcast only sold 10 million units.

If my memory serves me right then the average gamer buys four to five games per console and even blockbuster titles only manage a 5 - 10% conversion rate. An installed base of 100 million or 150 million units may create a viable market for publishers despite rampant piracy while an installed base of only 10 million might not.

The number one best selling title on the Dreamcast was Sonic Adventure with sales of about 2.5 million, on the Playstation it was Gran Turismo with about 11 million and on the PS 2 it was GTA San Andreas with about 17.3 million units. More people bought GTA San Andreas on the PS 2 than owned a Gamecube or Dreamcast.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:48 AM

With pirated games the PS1 also brought the first generation imports as well.  Bringing over Japanese games was HUGE, I remember my company bringing an original dance dance revolution game+gamepad from japan back in 2000 or so as a game to play at conventions and watching how it took off in America shortly after.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:09 PM

Anecdotal, but that's 100% what happened in Italy. People got the PS1 because they knew once they shelled out the money for the console, they had access to a virtually unlimited game library for a nominal fee. Pirated games were sold for the equivalent of 1$ to 3$ in temporary stalls in front of grocery stores or pushed to you by foreign underpaid illegal workers at any relevant venue on weekend nights.

All of a sudden people who never cared about videogames wanted a Playstation, cause it was cool, fun and so incredibly cheap.

What happened here is we would just rent the game from blockbuster and anyone who wanted a copy would bring a blank CD over.

The Dreamcast was covered by Sega's stink. Most kids here thought of Sega as a dead end. I want to say it's launch window was weird too? I dunno anymore, its all muddled in my head.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #395 on: December 03, 2013, 02:41:01 PM

The Magic of the Wii was a cultural MacGuffin.

Everyone wanted one, when deep down they either didn't want a console, wanted a PC or wanted a PS2 and didn't even know it. The PS3 isn't even relevant when it comes to games as the PS2 managed to surpass the SNES in "number of unbelievably good games on one console."

Wii Sports was a red herring while the board game industry rebooted itself. THANKS CATAN, NOW GO AWAY, YOU SUCK (YOU TOO FELICIA DAY/WIL WHEATON (AND DR. WHO FOR GOOD MEASURE), FAMILIES ARE HAVING FUN AGAIN).
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:21 PM

Huh? The Wii came out before the whole board game geek-shiek movement.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #397 on: December 03, 2013, 04:42:46 PM

No it didn't. The modern board game era starts with Settlers in 1995. If you want another milestone, boardgamegeek.com has been around since 2000.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #398 on: December 03, 2013, 07:31:07 PM

YOU SUCK (YOU TOO FELICIA DAY/WIL WHEATON).

I like that that youtube show made me realize how true this is.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #399 on: December 04, 2013, 06:51:39 AM

the wii u gamepad is too expensive, and thus the wii u is too expensive.  the gimmick is fine, and you can always play with a wii u pro controller.  had a non gamer friend over the other day and he picked up the wii u pro controller and remarked how nice it was.  the nunchuk/wii remote setup is pretty neat for some games too.  and, nintendo probably has the most AAA exclusives, depending on that definition i guess. 

the problem is the price, and the originall wii blue ocean strategy that, as schild said, was basically a cultural macguffin, aint working this time.  so, if the wii u were $200, im sure it could have a profitable gamecube-esque future selling 25m units as a supplemental console.  but theyre locked in with an expensive gamepad that apparently costs like $100 to manufacture.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: December 04, 2013, 06:54:16 AM

i guess wii u is fine until it isnt.  if it stops being stocked in major retailers its done.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: December 04, 2013, 07:33:48 AM

I really like the Wii U gamepad, and I think they will do a lot of really clever stuff with it.  I don't actually care if the Wii U only fills a small niche, as long as they continue to kick out the requisite Zelda and Mario titles, and I am pretty sure they will.  Right at this moment, it is the only one of the new consoles I even care about.  I might care about a PS4 later.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: December 04, 2013, 08:06:05 AM

A friend of mine cracked his Wii U gamepad screen in a move, apparently Nintendo refused to replace it, and offered to sell him a replacement for $150.

Not cool, Nintendo.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:41 AM

Not surprising they didn't replace it considering he, you know, totally broke it himself.   But 150 sure is a lot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:42 AM

My son absolutely adores Luigi and is getting a Wii U for Christmas so he can play Super Luigi World.  I find myself just as excited about this as he is, and I have't owned a console since the Nintendo 64.  I could still care less about the PS or XBox.  As others have said, keep me in Mario and Zelda titles and I'll be fine.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:25 AM

My son absolutely adores Luigi and is getting a Wii U for Christmas so he can play Super Luigi World.  I find myself just as excited about this as he is, and I have't owned a console since the Nintendo 64.  I could still care less about the PS or XBox.  As others have said, keep me in Mario and Zelda titles and I'll be fine.

How is Luigi a thing for people under 18?  Did you prime that pump?
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:30 PM

His mom has always been real worried that I would do that.  She knows I'm a gamer and she is definitely one of the "it's a huge waste of time and you could be doing other, more important things" type of people.  Knowing this, I have studiously avoided ever mentioning anything about the subject to or around him.  His aunt, of all people, got him hooked.  She is the target Wii audience and plays it a lot when she is watching him.  Mom was of course infuriated, but not at me, thankfully.  But she is also smart enough to know that you cannot unring that bell, so she is now the one buying him all the games and the Mario toys.  I smile quietly to myself.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:13 PM

Not planning on buying either XBone or PS4. XBone is a maybe (had an old XBox before I gave it some kid in the hospital) but it just too much money and all the dough I got is going for a new computer this month.

Had a Sony PS2 for a little while but gave that away -- generally avoid Sony products as just about anything I've bought with a Sony label on it during my lifetime has died prematurely.

With some extra contract work over the summer, used the proceeds to pick up a 3DS XL and a few games -- Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Awakening, SMT. Still haven't dented FE yet. Had fun with the Pokemon Dungeon demo and a few other DL titles but there just isn't a lot of games for this. Though it just did get the youTube app and a Hulu app :D

Wii U even has less games. It could be interesting but I just don't see this getting critical mass -- Nintendo had a window when the Wii was selling like crazy and they fumbled their chance to parlay it into something bigger.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:31 PM

I just bought my first PS3. :) Well, as a gift for my kid. (He's wanted one). It's got a deep library, I got a 250 gig model and two games for a decent price, and he's been wanting one.

The PS4 and Xbox One weren't even on the list for either of us. Even the friends I've got who are interested are very much "Maybe in a year".
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #409 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24:18 PM

Had a Sony PS2 for a little while but gave that away -- generally avoid Sony products as just about anything I've bought with a Sony label on it during my lifetime has died prematurely.

Heh, I've had a Playstation, PS2, PSP, and a PS3.  Not even the slightest problem.

My XBox had multiple games that would crash it.  My 360 died in the middle of Mass Effect 3.  I gave my controllers and games to my nephews.

I think I'd rather get a 3DS than any of the current gen machines.  But, it's getting to be the time in my son's life, where me getting toys is going to make him a bit jealous.   I can wait.  Maybe my nephews will give me one of their old ones.

As I get older, it's starting to feel like I'll be happy just getting shit on the PC.  I don't seem to have enough free time to outpace my Steam backlog and actually care about other systems.  Well, other than when I'm pooping, and the iPhone covers that.

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #410 on: December 05, 2013, 06:30:20 AM

I think this animated gif sums up what's killing my enthusiasm for video games.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #411 on: December 05, 2013, 08:02:41 AM

I think I'd rather get a 3DS than any of the current gen machines.  

They were $150 online on Black Friday.  Was seriously seriously tempted.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #412 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:15 AM

That would have been more tempting before I had to spend $500 getting a growth removed from my cat's ass.   swamp poop

I think this animated gif sums up what's killing my enthusiasm for video games.

Man, that's depressing.  I tend to avoid a lot of the AAA titles, although not out of any effort to avoid that nonsense.  Assassins' Creed, bro-bro shooters, etc just don't do a lot for me anymore.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:52:42 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:20 AM

I think I'd rather get a 3DS than any of the current gen machines.  

They were $150 online on Black Friday.  Was seriously seriously tempted.

To clarify, the XL was on sale for $150. And I was so tempted I bought one. Sadly did not get to a target in time to swindle them out of the Zelda version, but I'll be happy with the Black one I nabbed.

beer geek.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:49 PM

You should consider getting him a 3DS if he doesn't already have one. Luigis Mansion 2 is fantastic and there are a bunch of other 3DS games with Luigi too. NSMB/NSLB are sort of terrible by contrast. 3D World on Wii U is great stuff though and Luigi is playable there, so it's not all bad.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:28 AM

Yet the Playstation outsold the NIntendo 64 4:1 (120 m vs 30m)

Two words sum up the issues with the N64: FINISH HIM!

Just when the N64 should have been beating up on the Sega Genesis nevermind Sony, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by bowing and scraping to the Clinton administration, Leiberman, and the rest of the nanny-state "protect the children" types. They made their choice right there when they censored the fataliities in Mortal Combat. It was a very direct statement: Nintendo is for young children, not for adults.

Sony said the exact opposite: the PS is an expensive game for adults, wink wink you can even play porno video CDs on it.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #416 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:13 AM

If you did buy an xbox there is an image making the rounds that pretends to "unlock 360 games" but actually puts the system into an infinite reboot cycle, so, you know, don't do that.

This is made possible because if you push the trigger buttons in a certain order you can put the console into a "developer mode" and mess with stuff you really shouldn't be.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #417 on: December 06, 2013, 08:00:07 AM

ACK!

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:28 PM

Don't know where else to put it but I need to ventand this thread seemed the most appropriate.

God is GAF a cesspit of stupidity.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: December 07, 2013, 07:28:51 PM

There are two reasons to read GAF:

1. Get news
2. Laugh at idiots
3. Bonus optional reason - troll said idiots

It's great if you accept it for what it is.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: