Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 284884 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: June 13, 2014, 03:56:22 PM

DC is full of moronic man children?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: June 13, 2014, 04:40:27 PM

Death should be played by Emma Stone.

I hadn't paid her much notice until ASM2 and the Birdman trailer, but that would be a good casting choice. She's got a *look*.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #702 on: June 13, 2014, 06:56:04 PM

I bet they are serious about Shazam and frankly it could work maybe. At least they get a decent villain in Black Adam.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #703 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:43 PM

Shazam/Captain Marvel has been a significant part of the DC Universe for a least a decade now. The problem with making that a movie in the grimdark DC Universe established by Man of Steel is how much of the WTF CHEESE parts of that character are you going to strip out.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: June 14, 2014, 12:58:52 AM

The real question is why is wonder woman getting pushed until after both of them.

That's easy... Electra, Cat Woman, and the animated Wonder Woman movie all did poorly.  You can blame the scripts, but the bean-counter is going to say, "Women superhero's don't sell."

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: June 14, 2014, 06:08:49 AM

Sandman is the only one I'm interested in, but I imagine it's both very difficult to translate to the screen and it isn't about super heroes.  They occasionally played a role in the series, but it was always cameos and non-super moments.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:51 AM

Female characters versus characters that are females.  That is why so many of them fail.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: June 14, 2014, 01:48:49 PM

Aquaman cast.

Wait... Aquaman's in this? That doesn't bode well -- Avengers succeeded in part because the characters had room to breathe individually before the team picture. This progression of DC's feels like they're cramming for the final after they spent the semester partying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:01:25 PM by Maven »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: June 14, 2014, 02:11:50 PM

The real question is why is wonder woman getting pushed until after both of them.

That's easy... Electra, Cat Woman, and the animated Wonder Woman movie all did poorly.  You can blame the scripts, but the bean-counter is going to say, "Women superhero's don't sell."

I think it's more then just that.  Action movies with a female lead generally don't do very well.  I mean Underworld and Resident Evil had a bunch of sequels but they weren't box office smashes.  I think its because a majority of females just aren't into those types of films. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: June 14, 2014, 03:10:36 PM

Nah, it's just small sample size is small. How many middling male action hero movies get made and no one even blinks.

/shrug

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:12 PM

Shazam/Captain Marvel has been a significant part of the DC Universe for a least a decade now. The problem with making that a movie in the grimdark DC Universe established by Man of Steel is how much of the WTF CHEESE parts of that character are you going to strip out.

Shazam can work in that kind of grimdark if they focus more on the Billy Batson side of things. Make it clear this is an idealistic kid with tremendous power who wants to be a hero. Show him going through some of the costs of being a hero, give the kid conflict and loss and show him coming out the other side still wanting to be a hero who does the right thing. Which is more or less the plot to Superman/Shazam: First Thunder and that I think does a really good job of making a superpowered Superman esque hero actually vulnerable.

The problem they face with the canon they've got going is that there really aren't any models for him to emulate. How do you get from 'Superman wiped out a city to fight aliens from his own planet and killed them to save earth' and spin that as inspiration for an idealistic kid? On top of that I don't think DC would have the balls to actually have an 11 year old suffering through being partly responsible for  Finally I'm not convinced they have the balls to make him an idealistic 10 year old in reality, I'm expecting his secret identity to be a wise ass 17 year old who makes obnoxious jokes and constantly goes after attractive women.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: June 15, 2014, 02:45:04 PM

Shazam actually has a concept that can be played for fun or for serious--the boy who becomes a super-strong man. Takes delicate handling though and nobody at WB/DC is even remotely subtle at the moment.

My guess on the JL characters is that they're all going to show up at the end of a Batman/Superman film, almost as cameos. I would guess that the very end is probably going to tease the coming of Darkseid, as per the current DC comics "origin" for the Justice League.

They're going to stay away from Green Lantern, I'm pretty sure.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: June 15, 2014, 08:07:48 PM

As has been said, it doesn't seem like anyone at WB/DC really likes comics, the lesson they seem to have taken from Nolan's Batman is that movie audiences will tolerate superheroes if they're in an exciting, 'serious' action movie. Considering their attempts so far like Green Lantern, which was treated like a kids movie in terms of respect for the material or audience, or the first Superman, which was just very by the numbers Superman plot points, they seem to think that lacking both of those elements means it won't succeed. Marvel could have gone the same way considering some of their earlier flops (like FF) but they seem to have gotten a production team that can actually recognise and promote 'fun' in their movies.

DC really haven't figured out how to get any fun into theirs, their only notable success so far definitely wasn't in that vein. Their problem is they seem to want to copy Nolan's tone into characters it really doesn't work with rather than trying to create movies that work for the characters.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: June 16, 2014, 12:25:07 PM

It just hit me:  I'm going to have to hear roughly 2 more years of speculation as to whether DC is on the right path or not before we know what BvS has to offer. 

Ugh. 

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: June 16, 2014, 12:29:35 PM

People don't speculate about whether this is a good idea. Speculation implies doubt.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:53 PM

People don't speculate about whether this is a good idea. Speculation implies doubt.
Fair point - it'll be two years of people talking about how much this will suck before we see how much it sucks - although I personally hold out the 5% hope that they'll make this work.  If I were to pick an approach to DC movies and I was FORCED to use Man of Steel for my starting block, my plan would not be inconsistent with anything we've heard.  However, I'd give my best plan a slim chance to actually work - those DC characters are just so ridiculous that any 'grounded' version of them is hard to imagine.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: June 16, 2014, 12:51:45 PM

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: July 26, 2014, 11:30:52 AM

First shot of Wonder Woman and apparently a very short teaser shown at Comic-Con.

I'm not an expert but those heels don't look practical to run in. (I felt the same about Sif's heels in Thor as well.)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: July 26, 2014, 11:38:04 AM

It's missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:06 AM

Not enough teal?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:53 PM

Look, an extra got lost on her way to the sequel to 300...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: July 26, 2014, 12:43:49 PM

I wonder where the woman character from the comics is?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: July 26, 2014, 12:49:45 PM

MEH.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #723 on: July 26, 2014, 12:56:01 PM

Actually looks better than I was expecting.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: July 26, 2014, 01:27:53 PM

Actually looks better than I was expecting.

This is not saying much imo.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: July 26, 2014, 01:30:50 PM

MEH.

This... it's pretty bland over all.  Looks like they got her costume from the Spartacus prop room.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:54 PM

She still looks like a model instead of an Amazon warrior.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: July 26, 2014, 01:46:43 PM

Should have been lucy Lawless.   awesome, for real
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #728 on: July 26, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

She still looks like a model instead of an Amazon warrior.
According to every portrayal of Amazon warriors I've ever seen, that's exactly what she should look like.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: July 26, 2014, 06:11:25 PM

That is WAY better then I was expecting. It's almost sorta like armor... an armored bathing suit at least. It could've been way way way worse.

Like, do we need to bring in pictures of the failed wonder woman TV pilot costume for a refresher here?  why so serious?

The actress is doomed though, Wonder Woman shows so much skin that there's just no way to hide any short comings she has physically. At least the platform heels give her some more height.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #730 on: July 26, 2014, 06:16:11 PM

This is dangerously close to "pointy knees" territory, and maybe it's photoshop or a weird angle, but: do not skip leg day.  Nobody who does any sort of real physical activity on a regular basis has thighs that skinny.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: July 26, 2014, 06:18:25 PM

It may not be be rational but those heels really do bother me the more I think about them.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #732 on: July 26, 2014, 06:19:15 PM

It's like they took Wonder Woman's costume and drained it of all fucking color and contrast whatsoever. Which is just fucking stupid because if you remove the 4-color nature in the name of making it look like armor - well, that shit ain't gonna serve as good armor.

It's like the '90's called and said "everyone must wear leather" only instead of leather it was the color bland.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: July 26, 2014, 06:33:48 PM

I think it looks fine, although I'm not a comic fan so I've got no dog in the fight.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

It's missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Yes.  It is missing an extraordinarily gorgeous raven-haired, blue-eyed actress with meat on her bones.  Oh, and probably a better costume.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: