Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 282970 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #560 on: April 29, 2014, 02:41:05 PM

Seeing as Marvel just gave a master's class on how to handle your moral pillar comic book hero, I would think MoS failure to have Superman act like Superman is abundantly clear.

Anyway, watching WB flop on the floor like fish is fun, so I am all for a JL movie.

"Me am play gods"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #561 on: April 29, 2014, 03:34:21 PM

I still think you guys are giving Man of Steel too much shit, as I really liked everything up to the killing of Zod. I understand your concerns with the tone, but I liked it. The "we destroyed Metropolis and either nobody died or no one cared" criticisms I just can't take seriously because LOLCOMICSMOVIE. I think the "we have literally draped everything in a turquoise filter to make explosions pop more" is a more valid criticism.

Sucker Punch, though... yeah, that was a dreadful fucking mistake on almost every level. And I don't see how sticking to the source material hurt Watchmen at all, considering he changed the ending pretty significantly and for the better, IMO.

The Watchmen thing is just the general impression I got from a lot of the complaints I read about it. Personally I thought it was ok, but I've never felt the need to watch it again after the first time I saw it. Man of Steel to me wasn't horrible but it was fairly forgettable. Nothing about the story or the acting really stuck with me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:44 PM

I still think you guys are giving Man of Steel too much shit, as I really liked everything up to the killing of Zod.

Nah, I think I'm giving it just the right amount of shit.  I haven't been that uninterested, uninvested and bored of a hero movie in, well, a long time.

And did we REALLY need another origin story of Superman ?  I mean, did we ?

It was a shambles, what little of it I saw.  Jor El outrunning a spaceship on a dragon was merely the start.   swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: April 30, 2014, 07:12:43 AM

I rate MoS above two of the Nolan Batman movies.  Re-watched MoS yesterday and it holds up pretty good. 

Snyder gets too much shit in my opinion. 

300-Great movie, though I think most folks missed the 'unreliable narrator' who made Persians into giants and monsters.
Watchmen-Personally I loved it and he even made the story better by removing the alien aspect.  Might have been TOO faithful.
Sucker Punch-Great visuals can't make up for a horrible, horrible script and story.
MoS-If you HAVE to do an origin do it like this, mix it up.  The super fighting was cool and some of the most comic book-like in any movie.  Everyone bitching about Supes killing Zod; maybe that's why Supes now has a no kill policy.  It was his origin story after all.

To sum up I guess I like Snyder, because he does take some narrative risks in these multi-million dollar projects. So I'm OK for him to do the JL movie.  He may be DC's only hope.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:12 AM

I enjoyed Man of Steel. I never need to see it again, but I don't regret the time I spent watching it. It's not high on my list of comic movies, but it's not the worst. It's pretty average.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: April 30, 2014, 07:47:36 AM

Saying, "Oh 300 is just an unreliable narrator" is like saying "Oh Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will are just an unreliable narrator" except that 300 is too silly to take super-seriously as racial/civilizational propaganda. (Though that's pretty much what Frank Miller seems to have wanted people to take it as.)

Watchmen I liked better than I expected to.

Other than that Snyder blows. But in this case it's really not his fault, at least, not all by himself.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: April 30, 2014, 07:55:06 AM

I'm a shameless Snyder fan; 300 was awesome, Watchmen was alright for someone who hasn't read the comics, Sucker Punch was great as a turn-off-your-brain live action anime, and MoS was the best Supes film I've seen.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: April 30, 2014, 08:16:19 AM

I rate MoS above two of the Nolan Batman movies.  Re-watched MoS yesterday and it holds up pretty good. 

Maybe Rises but if you are trying to say MOS is better than Batman Begins, you are certifiably insane.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:07 PM

I liked Daredevil more than Man of Steel. 
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:42 PM

I didn't like Costner's paranoia. I really liked the female Kryptonian (whose name escapes me). She's what I'd hope Wonder Woman would be like on film, but probably a little less hostile.  Honestly, a not-ready-for-primetime Superman should get his butt handed to him by trained soldiers IMO. The only advantage he had going was that he was used to his powers. So overall I liked the film, but I think it was on par with either of the Hulk movies.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: May 02, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

I thought Daredevil was fine. I've learrned that is a minority opinion...

I also thought Man of Steel was great! He calls into question the cheerleading of shit best left to the poliitics board. Snyder deserves kudos for making politics fun  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: May 03, 2014, 07:09:53 AM

The Director's Cut of Daredevil was a decent comic-book action movie, the one released to the cinema was bad.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:17 AM

There was a lack of synergy and some notable quality gaps in Man of Steel from its composite elements, notably how the material was presented from the expectations of the character. Superman... angst! So many plot issues. Faora was the best part of the movie only because tough and dark appeals to me. Short black hair? Yes. Appreciation of the beauty aside, her character had some great moments playing off Chris Meloni's character.

Snyder/Millar Side-Bar: I thought 300 was a movie that was very cool and fresh (however much Snyder had to do with that). If Millar wanted to create his own interpretation of "Sparta was awesome and here's why", that's within his right as a creative (I would equate as the same as Aronosky's interpretation of Noah). I don't think he was after historical accuracy, but history as a pretext to tell an interesting comic book story / creative project.

However, I thought the sequel was an unnecessary follow-up, more cash-grab inheriting only the style of story-telling green-lit because of 300's success. A Dame To Kill For may be like this, but it inherits more than "black and white stylistic comic-book visualization", which should allow it to match its predecessor in quality and entertainment value.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:19 AM

That follow up is the only movie I've walked out on in a while. It was terrible on every possible level.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: May 06, 2014, 09:58:27 AM

There was a lack of synergy and some notable quality gaps in Man of Steel from its composite elements, notably how the material was presented from the expectations of the character. Superman... angst! So many plot issues. Faora was the best part of the movie only because tough and dark appeals to me. Short black hair? Yes. Appreciation of the beauty aside, her character had some great moments playing off Chris Meloni's character.

Snyder/Millar Side-Bar: I thought 300 was a movie that was very cool and fresh (however much Snyder had to do with that). If Millar wanted to create his own interpretation of "Sparta was awesome and here's why", that's within his right as a creative (I would equate as the same as Aronosky's interpretation of Noah). I don't think he was after historical accuracy, but history as a pretext to tell an interesting comic book story / creative project.

However, I thought the sequel was an unnecessary follow-up, more cash-grab inheriting only the style of story-telling green-lit because of 300's success. A Dame To Kill For may be like this, but it inherits more than "black and white stylistic comic-book visualization", which should allow it to match its predecessor in quality and entertainment value.

Miller expressly wanted to make a story about manly white people standing against the dirty brown people from the East. That's become even more clear with time.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:21 PM

Mike Millar and Frank Miller are two different people.

Just barely though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:55 AM

Whores Whores Whores.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #577 on: May 08, 2014, 11:53:52 AM

Mike Millar and Frank Miller are two different people.

Just barely though.

One's a Scottish dickbag with pretensions of Grant Morrison. The other is an American dickbag with drawing skills and virulent Islamophobia.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:40 AM

First image of Batfleck? (as tweeted by Snyder)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: May 13, 2014, 10:24:50 AM

Head scratch

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: May 13, 2014, 10:47:12 AM

Posed, that is a good image (IMHO).  I somehow doubt it will look so good when he is moving given that most of what we're seeing has to be a padded suit.  Affleck does not look like that image - not in the least.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: May 13, 2014, 10:56:18 AM

Facepalm

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #582 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

Posed, that is a good image (IMHO).  I somehow doubt it will look so good when he is moving given that most of what we're seeing has to be a padded suit.  Affleck does not look like that image - not in the least.

It'll look like a big rubber suit.  It's Batman as Godzilla.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #583 on: May 13, 2014, 11:22:05 AM

So bad.

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: May 13, 2014, 12:02:10 PM

It is a very good match - posed - to some of the iconic Batman images that have yet to be used as a Template for a live action Batman.  I can't imagine it looking good in motion, but it is perfectly fine as posed there. 

I think the casting is horrible, and the movie is seemingly headed down almost every wrong path possible - but I have more problems with the Batmobile than I do the Batman in that still image.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:42 PM

I can't really look at it in any fair critical manner without thinking "WTF ARE YOU THINKING CASTING BEN AFFLECK".

So, in short, meh.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: May 13, 2014, 01:19:04 PM

MoS was the best Supes film I've seen.

What...I don't even....this is like saying Batman Forever was better than the DarkKnight. It just doesn't compute in any rational universe. Even with its 70s campiness, the first Christopher Reeves movie and parts of the second are a million times better than MoS.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: May 13, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

I can't really look at it in any fair critical manner without thinking "WTF ARE YOU THINKING CASTING BEN AFFLECK".

So, in short, meh.
Absolutely fair.  As far as I'm concerned, Marvel has done things exceptionally well (not perfect, but far better than my expectations).  They realized how their characters work on the screen and put them to work.  

DC, on the other hand, has blown everything.  Their Superman has the wrong personality.  They can't decide whether their TV properties are part of the same universe or not.  Their casting is mind-boggling... and their characters are generally MUCH harder to translate to the screen.  They have a harder road, are walking in the wrong direction, and don't even seem to know it.  

I seriously think they'd be better pulling all of their plugs over the next few years with a goal to relaunch the universe.  Do a Spring TV limited series in a few years that spends one hour per hero introducing the Justice League origen stories - and then put a real Justice League in theaters for that summer.  Then, put together your mix of TV series, movies, limited series, etc... in a combined universe as well thought out as Marvel's - which can capitalizing on the work Marvel has done to slowly build acceptance of the wilder aspects of the Marvel Universe.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: May 13, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

Maybe Ben Affleck tried that one secret tip the gym doesn't want you to know about building muscle.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #589 on: May 13, 2014, 03:23:23 PM

Affleck's been bulking up for a while now.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #590 on: May 13, 2014, 06:29:03 PM

I liked dropping scalding coffee on my dick more than Man of Steel.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: May 13, 2014, 10:19:54 PM

MoS was the best Supes film I've seen.

What...I don't even....this is like saying Batman Forever was better than the DarkKnight. It just doesn't compute in any rational universe. Even with its 70s campiness, the first Christopher Reeves movie and parts of the second are a million times better than MoS.
I guess it's my age; I saw them as a teenager in the 90s and the camp was a huge turnoff. I haven't seen any Smallville either (and don't read comics nor watch any superhero cartoons), so my only other experience is Superman Returns which was an awful movie that even Kevin Spacey couldn't save. So, I stand by my point; MoS was a good popcorn action flick, giving me DBZ style fights on the big screen that I've been dreaming of for years. It wasn't a great movie, but given my experience with the character the bar was not high.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: May 14, 2014, 12:24:22 AM

I need to point out that comparing superman films is like discussing which venereal disease you want to avoid least.

Smallville is better than all of them, and Lois and Clark is better than that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: May 14, 2014, 02:32:10 AM

Heart

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: May 14, 2014, 06:32:57 AM

Rule 34 gets more interesting every day.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: