Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix - PC  (Read 10712 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:42 PM

Probably one of the best Max Payne: Hong Kong ever. SD is a game not without console controller porting issues, but underneath all the quirks, it has a solid game and well-done setting. Play as Wei Shen, an undercover cop joining the Triad. Unlike in the future of Deus Ex, where residents of Heng Sha speaks with broken engrish, Hongkies here speaks good English with a smattering of Cantonese laced insult. I learned that diu ley lo mo means fuck your mama - and enjoyed the Cantonese rock on the radio station. Also, Kung-Fu will be your primary weapon - you are unable to carry a wide array of arsenal like GTA - but at least the Dragon Kick soft drink will last long enough for you to take out those rival gangs on the streets.

There will be a shitload of dead Hongkies before the game ends, I'm 50% in and not a single whitey died yet. Wei she me? Because fuck China

Narrative is solid, in fact I fear the quality drops when the game lets the player go do side content. Most of the side missions are really, really shallow. You walk up to the marker and the guy will ask for a favor. Sometimes a fed-ex mission other times, your gang member punches a cop and wants you to drive to lose the heat. And let's not even talk about the lack of outfits, I know the DLC outfits are now selling at less than a dollar each, but man - walking into a store and seeing just 3 tops, 3 pants and 2 shoes to choose from is just sad after Saints Row 3 provided over 100 of them without DLC!

All in all, worth the $5.00 Steam Sale Purchase. Still half-way through and determined to finish this strongly.
Note: The Ghost Pig DLC and the High Resolution Patch DLC is free. Go get them. The latter is 4GB though and may not worth the extra space consumed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:05:26 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:23:37 AM

I enjoyed Sleeping Dog's main plot alot more than I did the ones in SR3 or GTA4 (SR3 was alot funnier and had more memorable characters though).
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:25:06 AM

I enjoyed Sleeping Dog's main plot alot more than I did the ones in SR3 or GTA4 (SR3 was alot funnier and had more memorable characters though).

Yeah I never really caught on the gang member's name. It was sad cause when I got familiar with Jacky and Winston their arcs literally ended. :(
But Winston's mom... is  why so serious?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:52:54 AM

Part of Sleeping Dog's problem was its troubled development which led to a bunch of shit getting cut out of the game.

Ironically it meant I was able to actually complete it and have fun whereas every GTA game lost me the instant it shuttled me off to "Wacky comedy side mission contact" guy for an intermission in the main story. Characters in Sleeping Dogs get introduced, set up, then magically disappear into the ether because it feels like ~1/3rd of the game got cut out.

Still owns though. Fun hand-to-hand, shooting works and is better than GTA's, driving works, and unlike all of the GTA games the radio stations have great music.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:14 AM

It coulda been a contender.

Really enjoyed the game a lot, especially the melee portion. I hardly used guns at all.

I also like the leaderboard features using your steam friends.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:55:15 AM

I didn't like it; snitches get stitches!
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:54 AM

I enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected (more than any GTA or Saint's Row game!), especially the melee aspect of it and just the utterly different setting that's handled very well. Aside from the whole 'drive on the left side of narrow roads' thing that bothered me for awhile and the driving camera was annoying at times.

You really do see the affect of the production issues on the game, but.. still, good game and really glad I snagged it up in the last Steam Sale.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:32:10 AM

Any game where you can drop a gang member onto conveniently placed racks of marlin heads is AAA to me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:02:34 PM

I picked up the "all the DLC" pack for the hell of it since I really dug the game, and wow the Zodiac tournament is weak. Go to island, do like a half-dozen fights, game over. Literally cleared it in less than an hour.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:11:38 AM

Year of the Snake is better so far but I guess they really wanted to not pay Wei's VA too much because they recycle a shitload of his old voice samples.

Also you don't have access to 90% of your goodies in either big DLC so far; you can't change outfits and your cars aren't available. Wei gets a standard metermaid outfit which is kinda funny but it comes with a stungun which is ridiculously overpowered. Basically it's like the arm/leg break stun moves but if you just hold the button you can keep shocking them until they pass out; you can also handcuff and arrest people if you can get them on the ground which is basically an instant defeat for enemies.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:07 AM

How do you actually start the supercar DLC?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:06 AM

I dunno; I went straight into the bigger DLCs...the police car stuff shows up in your garage list in the regular game. I didn't look through my car list; maybe it's in there and it triggers once you take the car?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix - PC  
Jump to: