Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: guys guys guys  (Read 50385 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 12:32:03 AM

Though by some odd chance I got my father into squaresoft games awhile ago after leaving them all behind to go to college.  He burned through FF7, FF8, FF9, FFT, Vagrant Story, ect. several times each.  It was quite amusing, considing how much I got yelled at growing up for playing those instead of doing chores.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:34:19 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:13 AM

They jokey part to me is buying it on Steam.  A disc for any of these can't be hard to locate, especially FFX.  Get one, rip the ISO and use PCSX2.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:21 AM

They jokey part to me is buying it on Steam.  A disc for any of these can't be hard to locate, especially FFX.  Get one, rip the ISO and use PCSX2.

There is only like five people on this forum that understood what you just said...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:17 AM

There is only like five people on this forum that understood what you just said...

No, I suspect most of us know what he said...but only 5 people would know how to, or could be arsed to, bother with such a thing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 08:01:35 AM

No, I suspect most of us know what he said...but only 5 people would know how to, or could be arsed to, bother with such a thing.

Now that I think about it, you are right. I should have said it that way instead.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 09:35:15 AM

Can we use this thread for everything random that happens on Steam? Like, Agarest: Generations of War. Should I get it? Disgaea is one of my favourite games of all time.

schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:37 AM

No. The Agarest series is total shit and in no way related to Disgaea
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 09:57:07 AM

Thanks. I remember you hating anything Idea Factory. I gotta say the trailer looked very attractive to me, but I'm gonna trust you on this one.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:05 AM

The Agarest series is merely ok. The battles are not very strategic, even on the harder difficulties, because of how powerful the combination attacks are. The dating sim aspects are alright, but not as deep as Persona. If it goes on sale it might be worth a few dollars, but everything Agarest does, someone else does better.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 10:05:51 AM

Idea Factory isn't hated. They're just a company making games.

They happen to make shitty games.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 04:32:29 AM

I've reached the point in my life where I find it far more attractive to spend money so I don't have to do this, rather than spend the time to do it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:18 AM

You don't need to rip an ISO to use it with PCSX2. I just play my PS2 games directly from the disc.

PS2 emulation is surprisingly good now but requires a lot of jiggering with settings to get it looking good/running acceptably, and some games that use visual filters (Fatal Frame 1, Front Mission 4, etc) look kinda assy without stupid amounts of tweaking. It's still at the "requires work" phase for end users; rather than say 8/16-bit systems where it just works/looks mostly perfect for 99.9% of games with no effort.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 08:50:23 AM

It's definitely not effort-free.  I suppose in either case you're overpaying for FFX.

I only rip the ISO for performance reasons.  Also I've already purchased most of these games once or twice.  Sometimes thrice.  It must end.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 03:15:55 AM

Is there some advantage to doing over just whipping out a PS2 and playing it directly on the console?  That's what I don't get.  Unless the ISOs are being pirated in the first place, which is a different story.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:34 AM

Is there some advantage to doing over just whipping out a PS2 and playing it directly on the console?  That's what I don't get.  Unless the ISOs are being pirated in the first place, which is a different story.

The advantages of using PCSX2 over PS2 are (when everything works out perfectly): better graphics, significantly faster load times and ability save whenever (which in some games is a huge relief)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:04 PM

I have some challenges in getting my PS2 to work on my TV, particularly since I really want to run it in progressive mode using component cables.  This is a challenge that pops up whenever I turn on the PS2, it seems.

Advantages of PCSX2 include the aforementioned savestates, allowing me to snapshot the game in progress and resume it later.  There are ten savestate slots, and being regular files I can archive them off somewhere if I really need more.
Virtual memory cards are great.  I make a new one for each game.  MAKE IT RAIN!
Easy disk switching if you're using ISO.
Set up the emulator once and it's set forever, for most games.  This probably mostly affects me.

I suppose the hardest part of PCSX2 is obtaining the PS2 BIOS... but YMMV. Ohhhhh, I see.

I don't have anything against buying updated games on Steam or GOG or whatever, other than what I already said about buying the same game multiple times.  I'm just not that interested in playing the Squenix Subscription game.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 01:13:14 PM

Also, provided the game has good art direction/textures and PCSX2 supports it well you can get some stunningly improved visuals:

Some games have wide-screen patches if you want to really sperg out.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 01:10:48 AM

Hrm, may have to give that a shot then.  There are a ton of games I missed from the PS2 era I keep meaning to go back and play.  I know I've asked this before, but any suggestions on the major ones I should hit?  I've never played any of the persona games, so I know I need to hit them (Are they like Final Fantasy where every game is totally independant from the others, or should I try to play them in order?).

-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 03:48:13 AM

Hrm, may have to give that a shot then.  There are a ton of games I missed from the PS2 era I keep meaning to go back and play.  I know I've asked this before, but any suggestions on the major ones I should hit?  I've never played any of the persona games, so I know I need to hit them (Are they like Final Fantasy where every game is totally independant from the others, or should I try to play them in order?).
Persona is good if you can get into it; acquired taste. They're largely all independent of eachother but have a lot of underlying motifs.

FF10 is...eh, it's okay. Not great.
FF12 is pretty good but seriously feels like an MMO and goes on foreverrrrr. It looks awesome in PCSX2 however when configured well.

Dragon Quest VIII (above) is good, but pretty faithful to the old NES titles. High encounter rate and pretty high difficulty.

Entire Fatal Frame series. 1, 2, and 3. 2 being the best IMO.

Disgaea series if you dig super-spergy isometric turn-based strategy RPGs.

Silent Hill series.

Zone of the Enders 1/2.

Front Mission 4...

PS2 has one of the best libraries in gaming. There's a lot of stuff I'm failing to remember.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:30 AM

Thanks, thats a great start there.  I had forgotten about the Disgea games as well.  I don't know why I'm even contemplating this, I haven't even touched 70% of the games I got off steams summer sale yet....

-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 08:42:11 AM

If you're interested in Shin Megami Tensei, my favorite is the Digital Devil Saga set.  I can't find my save files, which normally would have me hide the discs and pretend they didn't exist, but I'm contemplating a replay.

Shadowhearts 1/2 are great also.  #2 is better than #1 but you won't really know what the fuck is going on if you skip #1.

My favorite modern FF is XII.  I much prefer political struggle to moon monsters.

Picking a small set of superb PS2 games is an unfair task.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 09:09:03 AM

My favorite modern FF is XII.  I much prefer political struggle to moon monsters.

Same.  Also, fuck 13's battle and equipment system.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:43 AM

Rogue Galaxy!

Edit: I should mention Shadowhearts 2 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, but weirder than Shadowhearts 1. I don't THINK you need to play the first to enjoy the second because the game itself is good. Oh, and obviously, Digital Devil Saga. So, so good.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:23 AM

I have a deep love for FFX; I actually played through it three times; never came close to 100% completion though, because that involved the usual 'farm 9999 of these 2% drop rate items three times to make an item for each of your characters' bullshit that is part and parcel of final fantasy games. Everything else about it I loved, even the daft plot.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:53 PM

OK, sure, Shadowhearts 2 is fine in its own right and you can jump in and not be lost, but you'll be missing out on character history and such.

Do not play Digital Devil Saga 2 without completing the first one.  DO NOT.

One of the reasons I'm fucking around with PCSX2 is that I need to complete Rogue Galaxy.  Along with a dozen other things.

I played with the GS settings in PCSX2 and I brought cookies.
Standard native:
Antialias and 6x scaling:

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 25, 2013, 02:58:45 PM

Wow, that looks really good. I never got into Rogue Galaxy because my PS2 was crapping out and I didn't want to replace it at the end of it's life cycle. Is there a guide somewhere to getting PCSX2 to work well?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

Digital Devil Saga is, yes, a case of needing to play the whole saga in order. Man, 2 would make literally zero sense.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 06:44:28 PM

Digital Devil Saga is, yes, a case of needing to play the whole saga in order. Man, 2 would make literally zero sense.

Also also also optional bosses in #1 get you special items in #2 when you import your save.

Wow, that looks really good. I never got into Rogue Galaxy because my PS2 was crapping out and I didn't want to replace it at the end of it's life cycle. Is there a guide somewhere to getting PCSX2 to work well?

The emulator works great right out of the box; I mean that it pretty much lets you play PS2 games.  There are many options available but you probably don't want to touch any of them, for the most part.  I did have FFXII hang on me almost from the get-go, but there are some notes on the PCSX2 site as well as the wiki that should help with tweaking it once I get around to playing it again.

The graphical guide I used is here: http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/GSDX

I'll mention that actually running a game at 6x with AA will PROBABLY give you a slower game unless you're playing games on God.  I enabled it in Atelier Iris 3, of all things, and the slowdown just walking around town was obvious.  I have a four-core i5@2.8GHz with 8GB RAM and a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti and it works well enough at moderate upscales, if that gives you a baseline.

Another pro-tip: lots of graphical glitches can be eliminated by switching to software mode (F9), although software is always native resolution.  Example: the Judgement Ring is fixed in software.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 10:12:13 PM

Shit, I am actually considering this now.  Because I don't already have a bajillion things to play.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:44 AM

No. The Agarest series is total shit and in no way related to Disgaea

Radicalthon time

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 07:28:34 AM

Apparently all I had to do was use pictures instead of words.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09:46 PM

They are worth a thousand each right?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 27, 2013, 12:45:45 PM

Okay, so I decided to try this PCSX2 emulator thing.  After about an hour and a half of fiddling around and finally figuring out how to upload the bios, how to configure a game pad, and that I should stay away from the DX9 and select DX11 in the graphics setting....this shit is fucking amazing.  I got FFXII loaded up at 6 times native resolution and all the aliasing turned on and it looks stupendously good.  Running at between 40 and 50 FPS (50 is max for PAL).  I am seriously blown away.  This is on my laptop, which I am about to take on a trip to the US, so now I am pretty sure I am going to bring along a few crusty old PS2 games.  Only issue I see at the moment is that the video cutscenes are hitching a bit, but maybe I have solved that with the DX11 switch. (Note: nope, still hitches, but I don't care).

It was a little tough to set up at first (I am not schooled in this sort of thing), but now I believe I more or less have the hang of it.  Really, really amazing.  I can't believe I haven't tried this before.  Now I can go back and play a bunch of the PS2 games I never played and never wanted to go back to because of the shitty graphics.  Not so shitty any more!

This totally exceeded my expectations.  Wow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #68 on: September 27, 2013, 01:27:16 PM

Goddamnit, you guys are making me want to do this just to see if I can finish Persona 3. Next you're going to tell me there's a way to get my saves off a PS2 memory card and onto my PC to accomplish that.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #69 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:52 PM

Is there a single download that has all the bits (obviously not ISOs, just the emulator and addons or whatever)?  Last time I looked at the newer console emulation space it was this horror of "oh download this plugin from over here and this other thing from over there and copy these config files and..." and was just a huge pain in the ass (and not terribly stable).  But that was a few years ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys  
Jump to: