Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:36:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Voynich Manuscript, aka the Alien book, is not a hoax 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Voynich Manuscript, aka the Alien book, is not a hoax  (Read 10810 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:52 AM

They don't actually know if it's alien or what, but the legendary Voynich Manuscript, which to me resembles a roleplaying manual sourcebook from another dimension, could actually have a meaning and not be just a prank as many who have failed to decode it had concluded in the past.

Mind, these quotes and claims are not from The Onion. At all.

Source: http://phys.org/news/2013-06-voynich-text-hoax.html

Theoretical physicist Marcelo Montemurro and colleague Damián H. Zanette have published a paper in the journal PLOS ONE claiming that the Voynich text is likely not a hoax as some have suggested. The two researchers along with others at the University of Manchester in the U.K. analyzed a digital copy of the text and say that computer assisted analyses of the "book" suggest it does harbor meaning, though what that might be is still a mystery.

The whole study is here: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0066344

The Voynich manuscript has remained so far as a mystery for linguists and cryptologists. While the text written on medieval parchment -using an unknown script system- shows basic statistical patterns that bear resemblance to those from real languages, there are features that suggested to some researches that the manuscript was a forgery intended as a hoax. Here we analyse the long-range structure of the manuscript using methods from information theory. We show that the Voynich manuscript presents a complex organization in the distribution of words that is compatible with those found in real language sequences. We are also able to extract some of the most significant semantic word-networks in the text. These results together with some previously known statistical features of the Voynich manuscript, give support to the presence of a genuine message inside the book.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:06:03 AM by Falconeer »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:08:35 AM

I always thought that the pictures in this looked like they would be some sort of manual on herbalism and possibly witchcraft or ancient "doctoring" (which many times were one in the same, if methods were scrutinized).  We will probably find that it's pretty bland stuff, once they get it all translated out.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:43 AM

The thing is that, if I remember correctly, it shows plants that are not supposed to exist on Earth.

Also, about bland:

[SFW?]

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:14:34 AM

No, I meant the text is probably pretty bland. 

I seriously doubt it's alien though. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:15:30 AM

Oh I doubt that too. Just to clarify.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:21 AM

In that lower picture it looks as though the same word (golfedg?) is repeated several times per line.  I guess this is possibly the work of someone that got ahold of some magic mushrooms or was seriously psychotic.  I've seen similar rants and drawings done by schizophrenics.  I'm sure that disease existed many years ago, too.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:35:39 AM

So they basically found the 15th century equivelent of Time Cube?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:11:26 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:48 AM

Oh look, it's the full Voynich Manuscript: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39720/books/Voynich.pdf

sample:
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:20:46 AM

Obviously a guide to making the Philosopher's Stone.  All the great Alchemists keep their notes encoded.

"Me am play gods"
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:34 AM

The thing is that, if I remember correctly, it shows plants that are not supposed to exist on Earth.

I am not sure that means anything. I saw some exotic animal-books recently - from the time of Maro Polo - and while the images of rhinoceros were decently realistic (although with excessive 'armor plates') the book also featured unicorns. Including a description of the uses for its horn.

So it might be authentic and contain what passed as 'truth' for the author. Or maybe it was just an intellectual exercise by someone who liked ciphers and language.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:18 AM

Surely you're not suggesting that unicorns aren't real...  Ohhhhh, I see.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:28 AM

Clearly it's the log of a 15th century scientist who was abducted by aliens/fell through a portal/discovered a stargate, and was transported to an alien world.  There, he learned the native language, and tried to keep a log of all the wondrous sites he witnessed.

Clearly.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:32 AM

I sense sarchasm there. Can you prove that's not what actually happened, Rishathra?

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:11 AM

The onus is never on anyone to prove what hasn't happened, but rather to prove what has happened. Skeptics are always the de facto winner until proven otherwise.

So, your question is sorta goofy.

Edit: This is why religious zealots (and just people who generally believe shit blindly) are a dying breed.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:56 AM

This is why religious zealots (and just people who generally believe shit blindly) are a dying breed.[citation needed]

FIFY

Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:02:36 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:45 AM

The onus is never on anyone to prove what hasn't happened, but rather to prove what has happened. Skeptics are always the de facto winner until proven otherwise.

So, your question is sorta goofy.

Edit: This is why religious zealots (and just people who generally believe shit blindly) are a dying breed.

As Sagan popularized, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:07:34 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:14 AM

Except I WAS making fun of the religious zealots' faulty logic.  why so serious?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 09:32:52 AM

Probably a case of a fake language made up by schizophrenia with a good dose of hypergraphia. The repeated words are an interesting 'tell', if you ask me. The delusional construct is so abstract that the 'rules' of language itself dissolve in the mind of the author.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:59 AM

Not sarcasm.  More like that would be totally cool if that's what it was, but yeah, most likely it's just some schizo.  In fact, my first thought when reading about it was 'cool, aliens!'

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 10:20:00 AM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 12:35:32 PM

That's my favorite episode ever.  I was young enough that it genuinely creeped me out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 12:46:13 PM

IT'S A COOKBOOK!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 12:56:07 PM

I've seen those claims before, but until something substantive comes out of it I don't see what the point of it is.  The fact that letters seem to match real language patterns suggests it's not in any kind of complex code, but since it doesn't match patterns of any known language, and we don't even know what the topic is, we still can't know what it means, if anything.

The most worrying thing for me in the book is less the text and more the illustrations.  I don't know enough about botany to be able to back this up myself, but I've spoken with people who are pretty confident that a lot of the illustrations are just composites of various types of plant parts combined in weird ways, which suggests to me either the book is based on fantasy/hearsay, or deliberate intellectual dishonesty, neither of which really instill me with a lot of hope in the book being translated.

Skeptoid did an interesting article about it, if you want a good read (their take on these kinds of things is generally pretty interesting, I think).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:59:35 PM by Kail »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 12:58:20 PM

I don't know what it is, but I know it needs to be the plot device for a Ubisoft game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 01:26:02 PM

It's worth noting that PLOS ONE is not exactly at the pinnacle of scientific integrity. It isn't tabloid science by any means, but they cut some corners on the peer review process in some ways and also charge authors to publish, which to my mind creates a bit of a conflict of interest.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 01:42:46 PM

The repeated words are an interesting 'tell', if you ask me.

Well, there's that and then there's the crazy Pink Floyd video illustrations. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:54:01 PM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:54 PM

I think that possibility has been investigated, and the conclusion was that because the script and "language" didn't seem to evolve over the course of the writing, it is probably not the product of a schizophrenic.  The letters and "words" are pretty much the same regardless of where they appear.

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:00:17 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 05:07:00 PM

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:47 PM

I'm genuinely kind of curious about the alien thing, now.  I'm not super informed about the topic, but this is the first time I'd heard it mentioned in relation to this book.  Is it just "we don't know, therefore aliens" or is there an actual theory somewhere?  Do they think an alien wrote it, like, on parchment, with a quill pen or whatever?  Or someone went to an alien world and wrote about it, but for some reason could only write in Elvish?  There aren't pictures of aliens, or alien planets, or flying saucers, or anything obviously matching with the modern popular image of aliens, and we don't know what the text is saying, so I'm not seeing the alien connection... where is the alien connection?  WHERE IS IT?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:43:13 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:20 AM

I love weird stuff like this. The fact that it exists is awesome, and if it's a hoax then kudos to the hoaxers.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:27 AM

I'm genuinely kind of curious about the alien thing, now.  I'm not super informed about the topic, but this is the first time I'd heard it mentioned in relation to this book.  Is it just "we don't know, therefore aliens" or is there an actual theory somewhere?  Do they think an alien wrote it, like, on parchment, with a quill pen or whatever?  Or someone went to an alien world and wrote about it, but for some reason could only write in Elvish?  There aren't pictures of aliens, or alien planets, or flying saucers, or anything obviously matching with the modern popular image of aliens, and we don't know what the text is saying, so I'm not seeing the alien connection... where is the alien connection?  WHERE IS IT?

There you go:

http://ancientvisitors.blogspot.com/2012/04/voynich-manuscript-could-be-ancient.html

http://skepticalhumanities.com/2011/02/19/is-the-voynich-manuscript-the-product-of-an-alien-intelligence/

http://reinep.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/new-analysis-voynich-manuscript-seems-to-be-written-in-alien-code/

http://thehairpin.com/2011/02/aliens-left-their-book-behind-in-the-1400s

http://bruhaspati.com/mysteries/mysterious-voynich-manuscript-written-in-alien-code.html

http://ancientvisitors.blogspot.com/2012/04/voynich-manuscript-could-be-ancient.html

... and so on.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 02:29:17 AM

To balance out things a bit, here's a woman who claims to know the plants in the book and understand some of the code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxLFL80NB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92RAhdgpx4

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Voynich Manuscript, aka the Alien book, is not a hoax  
Jump to: