Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382177 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: December 23, 2019, 12:47:10 PM

I'm going to give this a spin. What do I need to know coming in completely fresh?
Personally, MSQ. Main Story Quest. Follow it. I'd avoid the side shit as you will outlevel everything really fast even without looking at them. But I haven't played in a bit... so grain of salt and all that.

What 01101010 said - basically follow the MSQ and do your class quests and you'll be fine. You'll outlevel any side quests quickly so it's fine to ignore them until you start other jobs.  The first part base game -A Realm Reborn - is a slog though, just be warned. It's a lot of fedex quests but if you aren't trying to rush through as fast as you can, it's not bad, IMO. Classes / jobs are all open to one character so no need for alts and the starting city isn't a big deal. Usual invitation - I'm on Aether DC, Faerie server if you want an instant FC (guild).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2019, 09:44:59 AM

I'll third the idea to work on the main story. Although we do like to fuck around on other things and haven't finished it yet.

If you stick to your main class, you'll be alright. Leveling up a second class can be bothersome depending on your patience. Inventory space is a problem as well if you start taking on multiple classes, even if they are fighting classes.

The game itself is essentially a standard MMO with only a rare few things to add to your library of knowledge on how to play. Holy Trinity combat. Individual classes will have their playstyles but in the end you are filling one of the 3 roles.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2019, 11:30:57 AM

Got Miner, Botanist, and all the crafting classes to 80. Samurai is at 75 as I slowly slog through the MSQ. Fisher is in the mid-50s as well, so I need to push that up for completion's sake.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2019, 05:36:46 PM

I'm doing nothing but MSQ, all the best coolest jobs are locked behind L50 or L60 (GBR, RDM, AST).

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: December 31, 2019, 09:13:31 PM

Those are xpac jobs, so makes sense you need to be a higher level.  Actually, once you have a job at level 50 or 60, then you can pick those up easily as long as you have the xpacs.

Rendakor - did you use the Ishgard restoration to level your crafters?  Because it's almost crazy how fast you can level them.  I just went from 34 to level 41 in Armorer and got the Blacksmith up to 43 at the same time.  Those two are nice because they basically use the same mat to craft with so doing the restoration recipe for them both was easy as hell.  All my DoH/DoL jobs are all over the place with levels right now but I'm trying to push each crafter to at least 50 before I pick up a new one (still have leatherworker, alchemist, and goldsmith to go).

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: January 01, 2020, 07:48:55 AM

Yea, mostly. I had them all in the 30s just from casually leveling, then just did sets of 25 of each of the Restoration crafts per tier (harvesting my own mats the whole time). Once I did a whole tier, I'd make all of the gear upgrades for all the crafting and gathering classes, then repeat at the new tier. That got me to the high 70s, including making the gear for level 80, then I just did a few leves to finish the job. I did the weekly custom deliveries as well, and the occasionally GC turnin since those are worth good XP.

If you're doing serious and/or bulk crafting, Teamcraft really helps manage that.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: January 02, 2020, 08:44:56 AM

Makes sense doing it that way.  It's easy to use the Ixali crafting quests to get to 20ish really quick and then to switch over to the restoration stuff.  And my miner and botanist are definitely getting some love from all this harvesting.  The hard job to level is going to be fishing since that's totally disassociated from everything else, I've decided.  It just... is. 

Once I get all the crafting jobs to at least 50, then I'll go back to leveling up my other endless jobs.  Nothing feels more like a slog than looking at 5+ jobs at 60+ which need to be leveled up.  No rush though.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: January 02, 2020, 02:56:10 PM

Yea, fishing is mindnumbing and mostly useless. Got mine to 61 today because it was a slow day at work; I can't manage it in any other context. I guess the alternative is just buying leves to level, but I don't want to go down that route. Just broke 2 million...gold? Yen? Whatever the currency is. And don't want to blow it just to get the all-DoL-jobs-at-80 title.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:31 AM

The downside to using the Ixali/Ishgard Restoration route for leveling your crafters is going back to pick up all the missing job quests to catch up on things.  It's been a long slog and I'm still not done.  I've had some pretty limited time for gaming lately so playing catch-up has worked out pretty well. 

I also did the mind-numbing torture needed to get my fisher to level 50 and good lords... it's just so damn boring!  I mostly just went looking through the zones for undiscovered locations and filled those in.  I did get lucky in one spot though - mooched a fish that turned out to be needed for the level 50 quest, so grabbed it back off the market board (I'd listed it before I knew about the quest) and turned it in.  Cleared out a few more pieces of gear from the inventory.  Re-organized my retainer inventories and cleared out some more items I didn't need any longer.

I've also played Dancer a bit in alliance raids and it was more fun than I thought it would be.  Haven't done much with it but will once I'm done with all my outstanding jobs' quests.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: January 21, 2020, 08:32:36 AM

Getting FSH to 80 was fuckawful.

I've found the best way to deal with the crafting quests is to do everything in sets of 10 levels. So push all your classes to 60, then do the 50-60 quests. Then push to 70, and go back and do the 60-70 quests. Post-70, you're going to want to do the Facet quests in The Crystarium while they're level appropriate because they're really good XP and you'll probably need the yellow scrips anyway for your master books. They aren't class specific, but rather they rolled a few classes together and you can do them with any one of those classes. BTN/MIN share one, BSM/ARM(/GSM?) share one, FSH is its own, etc. For BTN/MIN/FSH, you probably want to use your first scrips to buy the folklore tokens or whatever they're called, so you can harvest the 80* mats required for the mastercraft gear.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: February 24, 2020, 07:46:12 AM

Finally got a chance to go through patch 5.2 this weekend and I'm continually impressed with the storyline and how it's getting played out over time.  We keep learning more information with new twists but it doesn't feel like the story is being forced (or at least not too much).  New dungeon wasn't bad although I could only do it on my SMN because minimum ilevel is 440 and it's the only job I have there.  All my other 80s are in the 430s so I guess I have some gearing up to do.  Now I'm kind of stuck trying to decide between leveling other jobs (from 60 up) or gearing up the 80s I have.... ugh.

Haven't taken a look at any crafting changes yet, although I did do gathering GC turn-ins because those jobs were close to leveling and it got my FC ranked up to 9.  I suppose I could wander around some zones just doing FATEs to level up, which wouldn't be too bad for my 70+ jobs at all. 

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: February 24, 2020, 11:06:29 AM

I like the crafting changes.  The new groundwork ability can work pretty well for doing HQ crafts. 

I did have to upgrade all my crafting gear to hit the new attribute levels to craft the newest stuff though.  I spent most the weekend wanting to puke at all the broken materia.  Once I rebuild my cash a bit I'll be checking out the new story. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: February 24, 2020, 01:28:29 PM

I'm kind of glad none of my crafters are max level yet, although my WVR is close.  I checked the market and can pick up crafted 460 gear pretty easily for my current level 80s and ~400K a piece doesn't seem too bad, but I'd have to raid my "one-day-I'll-buy-a-house" stash and then I'll just be broke instead of just poor. :'(

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: February 24, 2020, 02:42:17 PM

While the changes to materia extraction are lowering the price of materia a decent amount from what I've seen, if you want to chase pentameld crafting it'll probably still be a hefty chunk.  If you don't mind getting HQ mats do make stuff, it's shouldn't be necessary to do much more than get the gear and do basic materia. 

What server group are you on?  Given some time I could craft up the gear for you without much hassle. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:01 AM

I'm on Aether DC, Faerie server right now.

And I guess I have to read up on the materia changes though to see what's up.  I tend to forget to add materia to my gear, tbh and instead, hoard it on a retainer where it absolutely does the best for me it can.  swamp poop

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: February 25, 2020, 02:53:23 PM

Ah, I'm on Crystal. 

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:03 AM

Well, if nothing else, I'm leveling up my crafters quite nicely while "working" from home.  Got the shared monitor setup to switch between browsing online and connected to the work laptop, so that's good. 

Gathering in the Diadem is crazy now.  So many materials and I had to make myself a list of what I can currently use for the new Ishgard grade 2 recipes because my bags are overwhelmed right now.  I'm catching up on open quests right now and discovered yesterday that I hadn't done -any- of my alchemist quests other than the first one.  Oops!  I had quests from level 5 onwards to level 50 by the time I was done, LOL!  I have goldsmith to catch-up and should be 50 by the time I'm done there, then back to doing the restoration stuff. 

Haven't been doing any real combat leveling while WFH but did play MCH over the weekend and get to 68.  Did a bunch of FATEs and assorted GC turn-ins to help level the FC and we're about 1/3 through level 11 currently. Having another tab in the company chest is nice and let's us spread stuff out a bit more.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1137 on: April 12, 2020, 11:50:22 PM

Since it will be a long time before I have this kind of free time again, rather than come back and mess around with whatever post-expansion content has been added since Shadowbringers was released, I'm actually attempting to go through FFXI right now instead. I'd played it very briefly when it first came out (highest job was at lv. 30) but despite how hyped I was for it leading up to release it was a lot more punishing than I felt like dealing with. I'd heard pretty much all but the endgame content was soloable now and as someone who had played through all the previous FF games it always bothered me a little that I hadn't gone through the story on this one even as I'd like the series less and less as the years went on.

Trying to play FFXI right now isn't something I would recommend to people. I'm actually having a good time so far, but there was a number of technical loops I had to jump through first and even after I got everything up and running with mods and graphical enhancements the game still has a lot of UI issues and counter-intuitive controls. It also still has the PlayOnline launcher which doesn't appear to have had any improvements made in the 18 years since launch. While I wasn't really planning on using my old character I still wanted to use the same account so it took me a while to get the log in details and then link that old PlayOnline account up with my current Square Enix account.

While mods technically aren't allowed, nobody actually gets banned for them and there are a number of helpful and easy to install mods out there compiled into something called Windower. Also, where there's only so much fan made graphical overhauls can do, the big one that's out there does help keep the game from looking fully like something from the PS2 era. There's still so many odd things about the controls and how menu driven everything is. Pulling up the main menu is the - key for instance instead of something like Esc. There's not really any hotkeys for anything although you can mess around with macros. You don't have to find maps anymore but you do have to buy them. There's multiple ways of teleporting to placed that are all tied into different systems and different currencies. There's a very well written guide I've been following for getting into this, but anyone just going in cold would be completely lost.

On the plus side, the game is very much soloable with the summonable NPC Trust system so that's been nice. Leveling has gone quickly when I've been focusing on it. I started playing yesterday and am up to lv. 25 so far. Granted it looks like there's 119 or so levels now, plus there's subjob leveling but I feel like things will pick up a bit once I get a lot of this early stuff out of the way. If I stick with it, I'll still have to drop $10 on the last expansion also, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. While the controls aren't great, the main source of fun is that I feel like I've been making rapid progress for the most part. There's been a quest or two I've run into where the drop rate on something I needed was still a little low, but overall I've been blowing through stuff pretty quickly while remembering exactly how painfully slow it was back when the game first came out.

Again, not at all something I would recommend for others but I'm glad I'm finally getting this done now and having a reasonable good time of it.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: April 13, 2020, 06:31:37 AM

That's a lot of changes since I last played years ago. It must have taken me months to get to level 30 and that's where I was stuck because I could never find a group for the gateway quest that let me progress past 30. It was the most punishing grouping game I ever played and I left and never looked back.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1139 on: April 13, 2020, 06:46:56 AM

That's a lot of changes since I last played years ago. It must have taken me months to get to level 30 and that's where I was stuck because I could never find a group for the gateway quest that let me progress past 30. It was the most punishing grouping game I ever played and I left and never looked back.

Ah good old Magicite quest? Holy fuck that was horrible to get finished...however, once i fell into a good group and all of us needing it, it was pretty awesome experience-wise. And yeah, FFXI was brutal once you hit lvl11, you were at the mercy of the group/camp gods... oddly, I miss it at times, though not enough to want to go through it all again.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1140 on: April 25, 2020, 09:34:54 PM

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: April 27, 2020, 09:12:17 AM

I'd seen some of the updates and I can't wait to see how the MSQ changes after the patch goes live.  I have a few baby alts who will benefit from this.

And I'm so looking forward to being able to fly in the ARR zones.  I just want to fly across the lake from Camp Outlook to Camp Bronze Lake, zooming past the ruins of the Wanderer's Palace.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: April 27, 2020, 11:08:41 AM

I've lost count of how many times I instinctively try to fly when I first zone into the ARR areas.  It'll be nice to finally be able to do so. 

I can also maybe finally get around to those first beast tribes. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: May 29, 2020, 06:02:02 PM

Haven't posted one of these in a while.  Still don't have any other jobs to 80 yet but my crafters are all up there now.  Except fishing.  Fishing sucks.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1144 on: May 29, 2020, 06:28:34 PM

Still waiting on 5.3 before jumping back in for a bit. In a little over a month though I did manage to solo my way through all the main story content of FFXI which was surprisingly fun. Checked out a bit of the endgame stuff there also but didn't want to get sucked down that rabbit hole. Glad that was something I was finally able to check off my list after all these years though.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: June 22, 2020, 03:41:58 PM

Patch 5.3 isn't supposed to come out until later July now, I think it is.  Sad but gives me plenty of time to do all the Moogle tome stuff.  Fast path to getting EX trial mounts.

Random stuff - glamours can be so much fun, IMO. 

Left to right : tank, mechanist, summoner, scholar, dragoon, blue mage

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1146 on: July 30, 2020, 10:14:56 PM

So patch 5.3 was finally announced a week or two ago to be coming on August 11th, which is cool. Slightly more surprising was yesterday's announcement that FFXI will be getting new story content in August for the first time in a few years. No word on how substantial it will be though.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: September 20, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

So back at the end of May, I posted my job progress and now, mid-September, here I am.

Finished off Gunbreaker yesterday afternoon.  Time to finally start leveling PLD and WAR.  If nothing else, I've gotten far more comfortable with tanking and actually didn't mind it too much on GNB.  I still haven't tanked any level 80 content because fuck that garbage.  I've more or less decided that MCH will be my main for a reason going forwared.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: September 20, 2020, 11:30:05 PM

I just picked up the trial of this game. Fuck me, worst introduction to a MMO in the history of MMOs. Run around the city like a glorified errand boy, I think I was in game for an hour navigating the city and still haven't used a weapon.

I think of the MMOs I really enjoyed, Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2, WoW, Warhammer Online, Secret World, DAoC, Conan, Tera, Wildstar, Aion, EvE etc.... they all have one thing in common: You got to fucking hit things straight off the bat.

Not impressed at all, but I'll give it another shot and see how far I am off being allowed to hit things.

ACK!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: September 21, 2020, 07:24:03 AM

It's obviously been a while but I don't remember it taking so long to start on the job quests.  You get the basics of the city you're in and an intro to the adventurer's guild which is where you'll get your MSQ quests.  The job quests are given separately, so that may be part of the disconnect.  What city did you start in and what job?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: September 21, 2020, 08:49:14 AM

If you stick to the Main Story and your Class/Job quests and don't start grabbing a bunch of side quests, you're out of the city and fighting in... 10, 15 minutes tops?

The rule of thumb is if a quest icon doesn't have blue inside it, it's generally not worth messing with.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: September 21, 2020, 02:13:23 PM

If you stick to the Main Story and your Class/Job quests and don't start grabbing a bunch of side quests, you're out of the city and fighting in... 10, 15 minutes tops?

The rule of thumb is if a quest icon doesn't have blue inside it, it's generally not worth messing with.
This is very, very important advice. There are so, so many quests out there and you will not need them to level your first class. If you decide to level a second class, you'll have them around as XP boosts since you won't have the MSQ again.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1152 on: September 22, 2020, 04:30:51 AM

your problem is there is verymuch a right way to do things. start with a dps job and do absolutely nothing but the MSQ. literally do not touch any other content/quests.

you do this because after the MSQ you will level in dungeons so you want to be on healer or tank and because many things are gated by MSQ progress and because if you do other stuff you will outlevel the MSQ (esp if you are on a preferred server) and you'll still have to do it but it will be trivial and boring.

MSQ quests have a special quest icon, its like on fire or something.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: October 20, 2020, 08:36:16 PM

This is sound, even critically important advice, the lack of which can actually ruin or at least seriously impede your chances of having fun many many hours later in the game. The fact that this advice isn't given to the player IN GAME in the first 2 minutes of play supports Setana's observation that it is a horrible introduction to the game.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1154 on: October 27, 2020, 03:31:47 PM

Can confirm. My experience has been ruined exactly like that.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: