Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382170 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: April 05, 2019, 06:41:15 PM

A friend convinced me to resub to this so (after 3 days of downloading at 0.02 MB/s) I'm going to give it another shot. I don't have any of the expansions, and since the upcoming one includes them I'm not keen to buy them before then. I haven't really played since the ARR launch/reboot, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've got WAR at 50 but don't really want to tank, and a few other classes around 10-20ish, but no real idea where to go to level or what. Halp.

Edit: Well I caved and bought Stormblood so I could play Samurai; I didn't realize it was going to start at 50 but that's even better. I guess I should preorder the new one too, to get the 30% bonus XP earring.

There's so much going on in this game, it's overwhelming. I just unlocked squadrons last night (and the challenge log) but beyond doing a couple duty finder dungeons and chasing the infinite MSQ, I'm not sure what's best to focus on. I love crafting, but I feel like I ought to get at least one job to max (and finish the MSQ) by the time the new expansion drops.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:35:58 PM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: April 09, 2019, 07:23:38 AM

Obligatory - what server are you on?

I worked from home yesterday to spend the day with the husband (he was in the hospital again over the weekend) and got my last two non-tank classes up to 16 - BLM and WHM.  Well, not yet but eventually I'll be those classes.  I like that they share gear for the most part, at least until I specialize into jobs.  I mostly wanted to just get them to the point where I can do roulettes but am going to let them sit for a bit while I finish off my other jobs.  DRG is closest to 70 (66) and I have BRD and MCH both sitting at 50 right now.  NIN is getting close to 40 and MNK is at 33.  I'm kind of ambivalent about Monk because the abilities are so linear.  You have to do them in a specific order or else you simply can't use the ability at all.    NIN is a bit more fun for the animations, too.

As for things being overwhelming, just work on MSQ as you feel like it and whatever other quests seem interesting, is what I'd suggest.  With the roulettes, it's not like you won't be able to continue progressing because the system will put together a group for you.  I really, really like that aspect of the game.  As weird as it sounds, too, spend some time with a fighting dummy to get a feel for the Samurai abilities.  It helped me get a feel for which order the skills went in and what ones triggered off others.  RDM is the other job that starts at 50 (also begins in Ul'dah) that I like.  It's a fun blend of caster and melee and if I weren't more tied to my SMN I might make it my main job.

Also, don't stress about how much there is to do, unless it's something you really want to do.  I really have a hard time making myself care about any of the Eureka content or doing any savage raids and I don't think I'm missing out on much at all.  I just do my own thing and queue up forever and a day for DPS roulettes and just poke around while waiting. 

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: April 09, 2019, 12:28:36 PM

I'm on Diabolos as Aryx Vyl.

Thanks for the tips. So far I'm doing the MSQ and dungeons to level SAM, while also working on crafting.

Are you just leveling all the combat classes for fun, or is there some benefit to doing so? I saw that they removed cross-class skills.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: April 09, 2019, 12:47:21 PM

I'm on Diabolos as Aryx Vyl.

Thanks for the tips. So far I'm doing the MSQ and dungeons to level SAM, while also working on crafting.

Are you just leveling all the combat classes for fun, or is there some benefit to doing so? I saw that they removed cross-class skills.

Not sure what data center that's on (edit - it's on Primal), but if it's Aether we can at least visit once world travel goes live.

Once you've hit level 70 in any job and have finished the MSQ, what else is there really to do other than level another job?  Mostly as a way to keep the game a bit fresh, because the jobs aren't the same and you might enjoy playing something different every once in a while.  I'm not as into static raids or anything like that, so the savage content is right out for me.  Plus I'm just not into having set playing times each week.  So I just get online and just do what feels most interesting that day.

I will say that I wish I'd picked up gathering way earlier than I did because it's a way to earn some coin and use botany to feed my weaving.

Plus, there's always glamours.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:04:38 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: April 23, 2019, 02:54:39 PM

So the latest patch went live and I had a chance to log in today while at home.  World transfers are live and I experimented by traveling to Sargetanas within my own data center.  Haven't looked at anything else from the patch yet though.

Did the crossover event with FFXV and got that finished.  I enjoyed it and got the car mount and it looks cool while flying but I can't see myself using it for anything other than amusement.  It's just huge and kind of silly looking.

Still plugging away at leveling jobs.  I'm keeping BRD/MCH and MNK/NIN together (since each pair uses the same gear), and started BLM/WHM finally so that they can use mostly the same gear until level 30.  Almost have DRG to 70 and then I can get rid of that gear since it's mostly all job specific.  Eventually I'll keep leveling the DRK.  Not sure if I'll pick up either of the new jobs once ShadowBringers comes out and I'm almost certain I won't make a Viera since I have no interest in a bunny girl.

Oh, forgot to mention I actually have a character made on Diabolos - Darema Fireheart.  Made her and then promptly didn't log in apparently.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:04:53 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: April 23, 2019, 05:29:25 PM

Haven't played much lately since last week was my "vacation" and my free day off yesterday was a 24h maintenence. I do want to get the car just because it's a flying car.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:44 PM

It's worth noting that after 50, NIN and MNK no longer share gear; NIN gets its own Scouting suffix while MNK continues to use Striking.

MNK and SAM share gear all the way up though.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:03 AM

It's worth noting that after 50, NIN and MNK no longer share gear; NIN gets its own Scouting suffix while MNK continues to use Striking.

MNK and SAM share gear all the way up though.

Yep, and I already have SAM to 70 so I don't have to worry about the high end gear right now, or the 50/60 gear either.  I mostly have the 50-70 stuff waiting in inventory (and I want to clear all that crap out.  My bags are so full on both retainers plus I refuse to pay for a third.  Fix your damn inventory issues, SE!  There is no reason you can't have crafting specific bags to use instead of forcing me to suck up valuable storage space.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:50 PM

Ugh, that Shadowbringers trailer is giving me the itch again...

...what server/cluster are ya'll on again?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: May 29, 2019, 01:55:54 PM

I'm on Diabolos, which is the Crystal datacenter. Don't think any other f13ers are there with me, though.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: May 29, 2019, 02:00:07 PM

They dropped the NDA today. They're (finally) ability pruning and simplifying shit. TP is gone, everything will run off mana now.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: May 29, 2019, 02:25:59 PM

As a TP class who doesn't use mana (SAM), I'm not sure I'm excited for this change. Haven't read anything yet though.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #992 on: May 29, 2019, 02:27:27 PM

No TP? Makes sense I guess since it didn't really fit this version of the MMO. Still strange.

New stuff drops in July no?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:53 PM

I'm on Aether data center, Faerie server.  Same name. :D  Small rank 8 FC that would use a few good people to join up.  We're stuck in the catch-22 cycle of small right now.  People have left/stopped playing over time, which means there's fewer people, and then as some come back, they see we're small and quiet, so they level for greener pastures which makes us even more small and quiet... it's annoying.  Just had a returned who was playing again leave last night for a "new start" in another FC.  Ugh. 

I'm fine with them getting rid of TP actually, since now it means everyone will just have one source of "power" to use.  I mean, as a SAM, I used my TP but never the Mana, so what difference does it make if there's only one power source now?  I'm not sure how I feel about MP being capped at 10,000 though.  That seems too low but if they revise spell/skill costs, it should be fine.  I mean, right now as a SCH I can burn through my mana pool pretty damn fast if I have to rely on galvanize and the party heal (forget the name) a lot.

Early access starts 6/28 and release is 7/2.  Looking forward to it!

I'm on Diabolos, which is the Crystal datacenter. Don't think any other f13ers are there with me, though.

I actually have a character over on Diabolos but I'm hardly ever play her.  I can always start though, if you've got a place in an FC for me!  awesome, for real

Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: June 05, 2019, 11:25:13 AM

WHOA WHOA WHOA... They are employing Trusts in FFXIV? Hmmm...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: June 05, 2019, 01:07:50 PM

I actually have a character over on Diabolos but I'm hardly ever play her.  I can always start though, if you've got a place in an FC for me!  awesome, for real
I just left mine, due to the leader being kind of annoying while also not keeping buffs up constantly. Once I find a new home I'll let you know. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: June 06, 2019, 01:42:37 AM

I've been playing this again for a month or so in preparation for the new expansion (playing on hyperion/primal).
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: June 06, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Is the sub for this thing the usual 15 bucks?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: June 06, 2019, 06:22:05 AM

$15/month for multiple characters; if you just want a single toon I think there's a $12/month option.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:18 AM

Is the sub for this thing the usual 15 bucks?

Yes.  The trial is open-ended - you can play up to level 35 but that means you can level every class/job available to 35 all on the same character.  Basic sub gets you one character per server while the upgrade lets you have up to 8 per server, which really isn't needed since you can have every class/job on the same character.  If you're planning to play NA datacenters - I'm on Aether/Faerie, Rendakor is on Crystal/Diabolos.  

Recruiting new members for your FC is kind of painful.  I have a macro shout I throw out in cities because we are recruiting.  The FC is an old one and people have dropped off over time, to the point where having 5 people on at once is a lot.  It's kind of sad but I have friends here and don't want to leave.  But I also don't want to do the spam invite to sprouts either.  It's an issue I'm trying to figure out and sadly, it seems like I'm the only one in the FC trying to figure it out.  The current leader inherited the role when the previous leader stopped playing (and I think the same thing happened to them) and he's just not that into trying to build things up.  It's not a huge deal but still...

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: June 06, 2019, 07:07:27 AM

Giving Summoner a whirl with a fresh toon on Siren/Aether cluster.

Luckton Torgud

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:02 AM

Rhyssa, I assume by trial you mean the demo that is totally free to play without the box, oui?  Might give that a whirl.  I never play shit like this for long anyway.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:29 PM

Luckton Torgud

Aether and you couldn't pick Faerie?  For shame!  why so serious? I can at least visit Siren, so there's that. :D  If I see you around one evening, I'll be glad to hand over some gil to help out if I can.

Rhyssa, I assume by trial you mean the demo that is totally free to play without the box, oui?  Might give that a whirl.  I never play shit like this for long anyway.

Yep!  You can download to the trial and get a feel for how the game is.  The beginning MSQ can get a bit FedEx-y but it didn't really particularly bother me all that much when I started playing. 

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2019, 01:33:35 AM

Luckton Torgud

Aether and you couldn't pick Faerie?  For shame!  why so serious? I can at least visit Siren, so there's that. :D  If I see you around one evening, I'll be glad to hand over some gil to help out if I can.

I tried; wasn't allowed. Server was apparently full. But yeah, they finally caught up with WoW and went one step further by allowing you to manually choose to visit other realms in the cluster.

We can still be on each other's friend-o lists  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: Narrator: No, you cannot.

Eh...I'm sure they'll get there eventually.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:00:27 AM by luckton »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: June 07, 2019, 10:05:38 AM

Actually, you can have friends cross-world, just have to both be online to send/accept the request.  I had someone friend me after an alliance raid recently.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: June 07, 2019, 11:40:50 AM

I'm still stunned by the inclusion of Trusts. That was a complete game changer in FFXI. I am very very curious how it will work here. That single thing might make me resub if I get some time this summer.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: June 07, 2019, 12:36:52 PM

What are trusts?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:53 PM

What are trusts?

NPC group members, which actually functioned really well in FFXI. Since FFXI was based on XP camps - you couldn't level solo, and getting a group if you were a neglected job/subjob (or shunned..*cough* dragoon *cough*) you basically were stuck at your level until a party was desperate enough to take you. Trusts completely negated that. You also could duo and fill in the group with NPCs if you so wished.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: June 24, 2019, 06:45:26 AM

Early access starts on Friday and I know so many people who have scheduled time off to be there.  I have to work and in the long run, I think that's going to work out best. 

Got MCH and BRD both to level 60, DRK is 52 (and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just freaking tank.  *sigh*).  I've not touched MNK and NIN since I got both to 50 and I'm not sure I will go back to either.  Maybe if I have nothing else to work on because neither job was really doing anything for me, monk especially.  WHM and BLM are both at 30 still.  I hadn't planned to level WHM until the xpac came out anyways so that's fine.  I'll zoom up fast enough since healers are in demand, plus with all the changes that are supposedly being made to the healing classes, I figured it was easier to learn the new mechanics from the beginning.  Right now, BLM is sitting in the same bucket with MNK and NIN.  Level 70s haven't particularly changed much - SMN, SCH, SAM, DRG, AST.  I'm going to main SMN through the new MSQ content but eventually I'll have to get the rest up to 80.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: June 24, 2019, 03:03:42 PM

What are trusts?

NPC group members, which actually functioned really well in FFXI. Since FFXI was based on XP camps - you couldn't level solo, and getting a group if you were a neglected job/subjob (or shunned..*cough* dragoon *cough*) you basically were stuck at your level until a party was desperate enough to take you. Trusts completely negated that. You also could duo and fill in the group with NPCs if you so wished.

From what I've seen, the Trust system is very early days and is extremely limited, only letting you do Shadowbringers dungeons with them, and maybe not even all of them; I've only seen the level 63 dungeon previewed using them, and not all of them were available to use there because of its place in the story.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: July 02, 2019, 10:20:59 AM

So ShadowBringers is released today and my early access time hasn't been as extensive as I would have liked but what time I have been able to play has been smooth.  The areas I've seen have been really nice, the story they've set up for why we're on the First is great, your character is haunted by the WoD you encountered in HW storyline, and overall it's been great.  I've only seen the first dungeon so far and decided to do it as a PUG instead of using the trust system.  It was a bit crazy for me because of the changes to healers but after a rough start, I got the hang of the new healing (or I think I did) and we managed to finish without too much pain.  Won't reveal the ending of that dungeon but it was so very WOW!

I'm co-leveling SMN and SCH, which means I'm basically going to do dungeons as a healer and everything else as a caster.  Almost level 73 which seems great but there are people already done with the MSQ.  I can't fathom just churning through content like that, but meh. It's their dime.  Doing FATEs seems to have more value in ShB than it did previously but maybe that's because everyone is doing them right now.

Class changes - right now I've only actively played SMN and SCH so it's hard to say.  I don't mind the changes to SMN too much.  I tend to lose my pet in the mix when fighting though, which kind of bugs me.  I hate not having my pet Titan-tank but it is what it is so gotta deal.  SCH I'm a bit more iffy on.  Healing that first dungeon was just flat out rough.  OTOH, I didn't seem to churn through MP as badly as i thought I would, so that's a plus.  And I was having to chain heal our tank like mad.  I'm not sure if it was because they were a gunbreaker or what, but it took some adjustments to get a good healing rotation going while also being able to do some DPS.  I miss shadowflare though.

Haven't played any other jobs yet and likely won't until I'm done with the MSQ.  The MSQ is pretty locked behind levels this time, or is seems that way to me.  This is the first live xpac I've done for the game, but you almost need to over-level things to keep from getting quest locked.  It's fine, as long as I can leverage the healer to level the summoner. :D

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:35 AM

I'm only 65 or so, so I haven't gotten to the ShB content yet. But the SAM changes seem to be a net positive, so far. They removed TP but we don't actually use Mana for anything so most skills are just free. We still use Sen and Kenki, but the removal of TP means we can now AOE indefinitely instead of having to cycle single target attacks while waiting for recovery; the AOE skills also extend our two self buffs (Jinpu and Shifu) as long as we have them up, so clearing trash is much more pleasant. We did lose Ageha, our execute, but that's not really a huge deal. I haven't noticed anything else different yet, but there may be endgame issues that got resolved or created that I'd never notice.

The new crafting UI looks snazzy.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: July 02, 2019, 11:02:44 AM

I haven't even logged onto my SAM to update my hotbars yet.  I need to do that soon along with all my other jobs to change them up.  Biggest reason I'm doing SMN first is because it's the two-fer class for leveling.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the changes are with RDM, too.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: July 02, 2019, 11:16:12 AM

I've only been able to update my hotbars on RDM, but a nice QOL change is that it appears verflare/verholy now replace the basic casts when they're available instead of having to be separate buttons.  AoE is now more than just spamming one spell, also. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: July 02, 2019, 11:19:20 AM

The only thing I changed on my SAM hotbars was removing Ageha.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: