Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 384208 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: September 03, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

This game also allows you to create your own personal NPC hireling, who can run errands for you. You can even summon them to your bedroom at the inn

for reasons I haven't quite figured out.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #316 on: September 03, 2013, 05:00:38 PM

You know why.

But the actual reason is so you can easily transfer items between the safe in your inn room and your retainers.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: September 03, 2013, 05:43:05 PM

You want to see my character doing the /joy emote? Sure.

I prefer the /shrug personally.  It's better in motion, but as a friend put it, it's like my character just discovered 4chan for the first time.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #318 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:46 PM

Incoming miracle patch... erm, servers - round 1!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #319 on: September 03, 2013, 07:04:29 PM

I know.  So tomorrow everything will be perfect, right?  No queues, no login issues, no crashes, no annoying gold spammers, RIGHT??

Palmer, I name you Micro Dot.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #320 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:51 PM

I realize you're probably trolling, but the servers are full they stopped selling the game. Why would there be an f2p option?

Well, I wasn't... but why the fuck would I know that because the servers are full they've stopped selling the game? What sort of idiocy is that? I guess it fits with the rest of the shitty launch, but really just not selling the game anymore? It's not 1998 anymore, all this shit with the servers not being open and having to play on Japanese servers.

The reason I asked if there was FTP was because no one in their right mind would pay to get their junk kicked like this for a video game. Especially one done by Square or whateverthefuck.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:22 PM

Except that besides the server issues, it's a good game. They stopped selling it because they didn't want to be assholes taking money from people while not actually letting them use the product. The servers aren't "Oh it takes 20 minutes to login" full, they're "You're unable to make a character on any realm that speaks your language" full. No one's getting their junk kicked, read the fucking thread; most of the comments here have been positive. High server loads are not a reason for a f2p conversion.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:57 PM

Yeah, the server issues are obviously indefensible, but it is a pretty good game.  Kind of weirdly so, really.  I'm enjoying it way more than I expected to.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:27 PM

Yeah, oddly, this is the game I wanted guild wars 2 to be, but my taste in games is not to be trusted.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:48 PM

Yeah, the server issues are obviously indefensible, but it is a pretty good game.  Kind of weirdly so, really.  I'm enjoying it way more than I expected to.

Same here.  I love how easy it is to switch between classes and gear.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #325 on: September 04, 2013, 12:11:04 AM

I'm a bit confused by all the good will. I understand that WoW's leveling/instancing/lfr systems are all present so everyone can get max level without too much trouble fast and easy and solo. I get that being a huge thing, after all FF11 was no-go for most people because it was using EQ1 leveling logics with death penalties and strict group requirements and spawn camping and the like.

For my sake though I'm wondering. Does anyone think any part of 14 is better than 11 outside of the ease of leveling? Honest question.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #326 on: September 04, 2013, 12:31:22 AM

I'm a bit confused by all the good will. I understand that WoW's leveling/instancing/lfr systems are all present so everyone can get max level without too much trouble fast and easy and solo. I get that being a huge thing, after all FF11 was no-go for most people because it was using EQ1 leveling logics with death penalties and strict group requirements and spawn camping and the like.

For my sake though I'm wondering. Does anyone think any part of 14 is better than 11 outside of the ease of leveling? Honest question.

Didn't play XI much beyond launch, but its UI was utter shit. Like borderline unplayable the one time I tried to give it another chance a few years back, especially without reading a guide. XIV might not win any awards for UI design, but at least the game typically lets you what content is available at your level and where the NPC's are that you need to talk to and such.

In comparison to XI, I feel like XIV mainly suffers in World Design. I think I just spent like 18 levels in a forest before I was told to take an airship to the other starting areas. I feel like I was hitting different environments and towns more rapidly in XI (been a while though so I could be misremembering). Also even the small towns in XI at least felt like towns. There are various small outposts and such in XIV but none of them feel distinct so far. They're just small quest hubs.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: September 04, 2013, 04:41:32 AM

Magic server patch is done.  The JP server one of my characters is on was still too full for me to play, still just blocks you, not even putting you in a queue.
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:38 AM

Patch is 1g and downloaded at a pretty good clip this morning. I logged in just to see and I was dropped into a queue of 2 people and into game about 1 minute later. The true test will be tonight at NA prime time. I have little faith on getting in and will probably either play my shitty JP server alt or start a new character on the new server and wait for transfers.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: September 04, 2013, 06:21:15 AM

They seem to only have added on server for each region. I don't imagine they did, but I'm hoping they added afk kick. Judging from the population this morning compared to yesterday, I think my guestimate of 50% AFK probably was about right.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:36 AM

No AFK kick yet; I logged in at 7am and I'm still online 3 hours later. They did open up servers though, several friends have rolled toons on mine which was closed yesterday.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:52 AM

The theory was, uncouple the DF and instance servers from the login servers (why they were on the same servers is beyond me... since every instance and DF and Login used the same servers), since it was getting in that was the real problem. AFKing for ever just circumvented the need to play the login game. The server itself had the capacity, the login systems did not. Thus, the people online regardless if playing or afk didn't have any bearing on whether you could get in or not. It was more an issue of everyone hitting the DF and their instanced class quests hitting the same thing the login servers were hitting.

If the login 1017 monster is no longer an issue, there is no longer a need to AFK to bypass having to login so hopefully more people log out and lessen the load in some areas which lag the shit out of some people.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:57 AM

Can you buy this yet?

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:37 AM

So here's a question - if someone finds an old disc of FF14 v1.0 - would they still be able to apply the code and get some perks/bonuses? I do want to try this but the sub fee sucks while school started up again last week, but I'm thinking about picking up an original FF14 disc instead of a digital download if it gets some perks (when I do try it).

His left leg's position made me think I was looking at the happiest amputee midget I've ever seen!

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: September 04, 2013, 08:48:27 AM

Still getting 1017 on the JP server, the NA ones are now telling me I'm still logged in and wont let me in.
WayAbvPar

Reply #335 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

I want to see your character, Palmer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kill it with fire. Good thing this isn't full open PVP- I would be forced to subscribe and hunt these things into extinction.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: September 04, 2013, 09:10:08 AM

I was in the alpha back in 2010 or something, I don't suppose there are any shiny rewards for that?

Also, this thread needs a lot more grunk.  awesome, for real

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:05 AM

This game really is beautiful but oddly, I think its the music and sounds that make it so comfortable.  I've never played a game where the sound was so important to the atmosphere.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #338 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:58 AM

Don't log out if you get in -- you may not be able to log back in cause the game thinks you are still logged in.

Still getting lobby errors too after the patch.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #339 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:50 PM

So here's a question - if someone finds an old disc of FF14 v1.0 - would they still be able to apply the code and get some perks/bonuses? I do want to try this but the sub fee sucks while school started up again last week, but I'm thinking about picking up an original FF14 disc instead of a digital download if it gets some perks (when I do try it).

Don't think you get any bonuses unless you get the Collector's Edition.

So far I've had an easy time logging in since the patch, but the server I'm on seemed like it was the last NA one to fill up so maybe some of the others are worse. Trying to catch up on the story quests since I'm still a little bit behind of them (lv. 22 and the story quest I'm on right now is lv. 20). Finished off Ifrit earlier then decided to work on some crafting a bit so I could get the quest that allows you to meld materia to your equipment. I was expecting it to be a bit of a grind, but so far it isn't bad and I managed to breeze through 13 levels so far in a small amount of time.

Also realized in the process of doing story quests that there's some better world design in this game than I though, it's just the starting area I ended up in (Gridania, since I made a Lancer) is the blandest one. Having spent a bit of time around Ul'dah now, it seems a lot better.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: September 04, 2013, 07:07:47 PM

Yes. I was in FFXIV 1.0, and aside from being an alpha/beta tester for the new release, my previous Collector's Edition bonuses (+ new bonuses) apply to the account. I get the initial play time and can simply subscribe to continue playing. I missed the free transfer of 1.0 characters from Legacy servers in an earlier beta phase when I was too busy to test, but as soon as the transfer service opens again, Legacy characters will be allowed to transfer to new servers as well (with limits on the amount of gil that can come with them).

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: September 04, 2013, 07:22:55 PM

I am on Ultros, one of the more populated servers and I popped in without even a queue at 5:20p EST. Hope tomorrow is the same...

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: September 04, 2013, 07:28:24 PM

Faery, I had an 11 person ten second queue.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #343 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:20 AM

This might be the first miracle patch that worked.
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:31 AM

Too soon... too soon.

If I can get on this weekend (well Saturday, since I am off to a conference on Sunday), I'll start tooting the horns for them.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: September 05, 2013, 08:42:54 AM

Age of Conan had a working miracle patch.  Didn't stop the game from being shitty after the first 20 levels, but it made it work at least.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:46 PM

Here is a post off reddit someone replied to when a person asked what FFXIV is like lol:

Alex, the best way to describe FF14:ARR is to imagine Square Enix is a shitty Ex. They never quite put enough effort into the relationship and the last date they took you on was to an Arby's. Also, they asked you to pay for both meals.

That's when you decide you've had enough. You look Square straight in the eye and say, "Square, this shit ain't real. I'm leaving you." They suddenly start to cry into their fake Arby's cheese saying they will change, they can be better this time. But you've heard this song and dance before and you wont be moved.

That's when they do something crazy. Using two plastic knifes in a manner you haven't quite figured out, they lop off one of their arms.

"I'm doing this for you!"

"So you're shitty AND insane?" You think to yourself as you "nope" the fuck out of there.

The last thing you hear as the restaurant door closes behind you is, "I will become better!"

2 years go by and you've finally put this horrific event out of your mind. You're chilling at a party with some friends. The same group of friends you've had for a couple years now. You've all grown older, wiser, learned what it means to have some self respect. When around the corner comes someone oddly familiar.

You can tell from the way their shirt fits that they definitely work out, their posture is fantastic, and their style is straight out of Hollywood. You definitely don't remember anyone that sexy being in your life.

But when they turn around, you know exactly who it is. Your Ex. That fear you feel, and the need to run away are completely overpowered by your awe and surprise. They approach you with complete calm and confidence.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that nub of an arm? It's been replaced by a bionic arm straight out of the god damn future. Even the robotic arm is sexy.

They ask you out on a date. You say yes. For some insane reason you say yes. Oh shit, why did you say yes? Certainly this is only superficial change and you are in for the same old shit. Now it's safe to say YOU'RE the insane one.

But you go, and it is fantastic, it is glorious, and that arm has features in the bedroom that no human has had the pleasure of enjoying before you.

Sure, sometime the arm electrocutes your Ex and they pass out for a few hours to a day, but the doctor's assure you they will have that patched out within a month.

All in all, it has been the most amazing week of your life, and it's still too soon to say whether it'll last, but even with the glitches you don't care. You're gonna ride this one out.

I'm saying it's good Alex, it's good.

edit- Because gendered pronoun. Whoops.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:41:13 PM by Shatter »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #347 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:28 PM

I'm also on Ultros and have logged in several times and have had no problems either.  I did have a couple of lobby errors with a character I had made on a server which started with an "M".  I just won't go there again.  :)

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:52 PM

Can you buy this yet?

Still wondering.

I am the .00000001428%
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #349 on: September 05, 2013, 06:44:43 PM

It doesn't look as if you can get the digital download still, but you can always buy it in the shops.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: