Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382133 times)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:30 AM

They open up character creation on NA/EU servers periodically, but to get on a lot of the Legacy servers, you basically have to watch them like a hawk.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #281 on: September 01, 2013, 10:51:34 AM

What are Legacy Servers? Pardon me for being lazy and asking you all instead of googling it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:39 AM

Legacy Servers allowed people to carry over their characters from FFXIV 1.0.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #283 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:53 AM

I don't think you can make a character on a NA/EU server at this point anyway, so you would have been stuck on a JPN server.

I made one on a NA server last night, although there was only one open for new characters (and a few EU servers open as well). Game seems ok so far. I doubt I'll stay past the free month, but considering I picked the game up when the old version was like $5 and saved it to use for the relaunch I'll get my money's worth at least.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:53:46 AM by Velorath »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:28 PM

Legacy Servers allowed people to carry over their characters from FFXIV 1.0.

And happened to be where all my friends were. I was supremely  lucky and managed to get on Sargantanas during Phase 4 of beta, so I had my characters all ready for when "early access" started.

As for the game itself, I really enjoy it, but this is easily the worst MMO launch since AO. That some people defend the launch so stridently isn't surprising, but it's pretty indefensible.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #285 on: September 01, 2013, 05:52:20 PM

I made a new character on an NA server this evening because I got sick of how I looked.  I looked like a really pretty boy.  I thought I looked like a really pretty girl but then I met a boy who looked just like me.  :(  Anyway, after I logged in I noticed the city lag was back and it seemed pretty bad.  Outside was much better.  Since it was a new character I was stuck doing a lot of city stuff and I became frustrated and logged out and ate cantaloupe instead.  I'm sure I'll never be able to log in again.  I even went to the forums to see if I could find info on stuff that confused me.  Sheesh.  What was I thinking? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 01, 2013, 06:58:44 PM

I thought I looked like a really pretty girl but then I met a boy who looked just like me.

You're going do a lot of rerolling in this or any other Asian game!

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 01, 2013, 08:07:35 PM

I don't think you can make a character on a NA/EU server at this point anyway, so you would have been stuck on a JPN server.

I made one on a NA server last night, although there was only one open for new characters (and a few EU servers open as well). Game seems ok so far. I doubt I'll stay past the free month, but considering I picked the game up when the old version was like $5 and saved it to use for the relaunch I'll get my money's worth at least.
What server? Diablos is still totally fucked, which is shitty because I've got several friends who bought the game on launch day and haven't been able to join us because the population is still full.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #288 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:29 PM

Lamia, although it looks like it's full now.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #289 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:17 PM

Is there a free to play option yet?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: September 01, 2013, 09:35:21 PM

I realize you're probably trolling, but the servers are full they stopped selling the game. Why would there be an f2p option?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #291 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:27 AM

I realize you're probably trolling, but the servers are full they stopped selling the game. Why would there be an f2p option?
Because they may be capable of thinking more than a month ahead-

oh wait, I guess it answers that question.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: September 02, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

I've no idea what it is about the game, but I've spent most of the weekend obsessively playing it. Somewhere it's got something going on.

I'm pretty convinced most of the login issues would be solved if they'd just have an AFK kick. I would not be surprised if half the logins were idle.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #293 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:18 AM

I thought I looked like a really pretty girl but then I met a boy who looked just like me.

You're going do a lot of rerolling in this or any other Asian game!

I know.  And usually the girly men don't bother me but this bloke looked EXACTLY like me!  Down the the highlights in the hair.  Sheesh.  Maybe if I had made my boobies bigger it wouldn't have been so bad.  Nah.  It would. 

I'm confused by the lack of an afk kick, myself.  I was really surprised to be still logged in the next day.  The short time I looked at the forums there were tons of complaints about that.  People yelling at others for staying constantly logged in and the other side justifying their decision.  I see both points.  They say they're going to put one in but, geez, they couldn't see this coming?  Makes me wonder.  My life is too short to spend hours trying to log in to a game or having a game-rage explosion.  It's not like I don't have other games if I feel like playing something.  And since it's not a case of social injustice, class warfare, global warming, animal abuse or shoes, I just don't care that much.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:11 AM

Well if tomorrow evening's 10-hour maintenance does what they hope it will, then the pressing need for an AFK kick should be resolved.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:02 AM

Tomorrow's when they're upping the server caps and such?

The lack of AFK kick is what lets me play reliably during prime time; I login in the morning before work, check my auctions then just leave it idle all day. When I get home in the evening I'm all ready to go instead of fighting the servers for an hour.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 02, 2013, 09:40:34 AM

I recently unlocked White Mage and was pretty excited to see Conjuror's get their very own Unicorn Mount at lvl 30.  Apparently each mount has different mount music when ridden, and although I miss the adventurous diddy that plays when aboard Chocobo..the Unicorn is far more stately.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 02, 2013, 10:32:20 AM

Tomorrow's when they're upping the server caps and such?

Yes, at 8pm Eastern. I can hear the screaming and anti-Asian racist rants already.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #298 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:02 AM

Magitek armor is totally fanservice. But cool.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 02, 2013, 12:38:30 PM

I'm enjoying this game far more than I thought I would. But I hope they do succeed in fixing the servers tomorrow because I've reached the point where trying to get in to game feels like such a chore that it's not worth it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #300 on: September 02, 2013, 01:54:45 PM

Magitek armor is totally fanservice. But cool.

Fanservice is the game's main selling point.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #301 on: September 02, 2013, 02:24:35 PM

Game is really nicely done, fun to play, pretty, and I enjoy it. Getting past the login boss is the issue. Why on God's green earth they do not have an AFK kick function built in is beyond me given your character is no longer needed to bazaar stuff.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 02, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

So, I've gotten to 23 on my archer, how do begin the quests to get my mount?  I know you're supposed to join a Grand Company but I have no clue how to do it.  Also, I'm finding the hardest thing so far about this game (aside from the log in issue) is finding enough quests to keep leveling.  I hope we're not supposed to grind FATEs to fill in the gaps.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 02, 2013, 03:33:46 PM

So, I've gotten to 23 on my archer, how do begin the quests to get my mount?  I know you're supposed to join a Grand Company but I have no clue how to do it.  Also, I'm finding the hardest thing so far about this game (aside from the log in issue) is finding enough quests to keep leveling.  I hope we're not supposed to grind FATEs to fill in the gaps.

The main scenario quest will eventually lead to choose a grand company. If you're level 23, you're probably close to reaching that stage as far as I can recall.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:11 PM

What palmer said. The Grand Company is available at level 20, once you've completed all of the relevant story quests (they have a different icon than the others). You have to pick one of 3 GCs, then earn 2000 GC seals to buy your mount.

Regarding leveling content, have you done any dungeons? Or gone to the other zones? You shouldn't have to grind Fates on your first class, and you're already overlevelled for the main story if you're 23 and haven't joined a Grand Company.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:04 PM

Many of you out there likely chose a server during Phase 4 or Early Access and have friends, family, or guild mates who can’t join you due to the character creation lockouts. I have friends in this situation as well and I wanted to find out what, if anything, next week’s datacenter upgrades would have in store for people in this particular situation. New worlds are great and all for the overall health of the game and population distribution, but what about getting on servers where your friends are already playing? There are world transfers planned for mid-September, but there is also a chance that, at least on some servers, players may not necessarily have to wait that long.

One of the main culprits of server congestion and instability has to do with the game’s Duty Finder tool. This tool allows players to find players for group content game-wide, at the moment. But it’s this very aspect of the tool that has been causing many of the issues players are experiencing, loading the world servers such that they can’t accept additional logins or new character creations without risking detrimental effect to the server as a whole. As part of the server work going on this week, Square Enix will be breaking up servers into groups for the purposes of the Duty Finder, think World of Warcraft’s Battlegroups, for example. Once this is implemented, Mr. Yoshida tells us that world servers should be much less taxed and this will both allow for upgrades in the server concurrent user cap (so more players can login at once) and also ease restrictions on character creation.

Via: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/feature/7731/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Chatting-with-Naoki-Yoshida-at-PAX-Prime-13.html
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49:45 PM

The trick to leveling is to pick one of the 3 areas, most likely the continent you started in. Then prioritize like this:
Do class quests (every 5 lvls)
Story quests (wherever they take you in the world)
Dungeons (once is usually enough because you just want to advance the story)
The current scenario from your duty list (Just once is a huge gil boost as well as xp)
Guild leves (once you unlock these through story they are quick xp and seals)
Hunting logs (for your class then later your grand company)
and Fates (anytime you just happen to run past one or it suits your fancy)

This should keep you in experience forever but its cool to do random quests in your home continent just because they typically follow your story with you.

Save everything else you find in the other continents for leveling future classes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:53:30 PM by Senses »
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: September 02, 2013, 05:46:39 PM

Sadly, FATE farming is becoming the norm and it is not uncommon to watch roving packs of mounted players skirting around from FATE to FATE to central place waiting for the next. It is becoming plague like in how big these get and how fast they consume the FATEs. On my server, Cancer lasts about 2 minutes from pop to done. If you aren't in visual of him when he pops, forget ever getting there in time. Same for a lot of the FATEs in the 25-40 range.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: September 02, 2013, 06:09:32 PM

Fates are the best XP once you've completed the main story. Dungeons don't give much, guildhests are only worth doing once, leves are limited (and more useful for harvesting/crafting if you're into that), and there aren't a whole lot of side quests.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: September 02, 2013, 06:21:03 PM

Sadly, FATE farming is becoming the norm and it is not uncommon to watch roving packs of mounted players skirting around from FATE to FATE to central place waiting for the next. It is becoming plague like in how big these get and how fast they consume the FATEs. On my server, Cancer lasts about 2 minutes from pop to done. If you aren't in visual of him when he pops, forget ever getting there in time. Same for a lot of the FATEs in the 25-40 range.

It's only really bad in the mid-20s Shroud areas on Sargantanas. Basically impossible to get more than silver in a FATE unless you're partied or have a lot of AoE. But if you go to La Noscea or Thanalan, it's much less hectic.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: September 03, 2013, 06:01:08 AM

Would not mind seeing some screenshots of the revised world.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:13 AM

I'll see what I can fish up... I have this link from an earlier Behemoth fight: http://imgur.com/a/yA5FQ

I'll try and get some of the scenery later... if I can ever log in again.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:31 PM

I managed to log in and decided to make some screenshots:

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #313 on: September 03, 2013, 03:43:50 PM

I want to see your character, Palmer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: September 03, 2013, 04:03:35 PM

I want to see your character, Palmer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You want to see my character doing the /joy emote? Sure.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: