Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382219 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:17 PM

I heard it's a good time to check your inboxes, or your spam folders.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:01 PM

Yep. My inbox had something. Curious if my PC can even run the game at all, it's pretty old now.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 04:31:38 PM

Hmm, I guess you had to sign up for the beta of the reboot?  Played the original beta.

Well, not like I'd have much time come tomorrow.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

Hmm, I guess you had to sign up for the beta of the reboot?  Played the original beta.

Well, not like I'd have much time come tomorrow.

Same. I got nothing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:34 PM

I heard it's a good time to check your inboxes, or your spam folders.

Got a beta in my box.  Yay for something to maybe occupy my time until Hex  awesome, for real

Fake edit: Ah yes, the Squuenix account management system.  Still as asinine as I remember you from the days of old. 

Double fake edit: And after smashing my head against the keyboard enough times to defeat their asinine account management to register my code, I have to register on the forum to download the client, which is currently down for maintenance.  Yay...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:42:46 PM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 08:10:01 PM

Looks like the forums are back up now.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 11:38:30 PM

There's a benchmark tool you can download to see how the game runs without having to download the whole 6 gigs.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:30 AM

Looks like the forums are back up now.

Thanks for the PM with the link.  Went to bed shortly after I posted.  Downloading now  awesome, for real

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 03:31:34 AM

This runs like 10,000 times better than it used to. Before the game would stutter constantly if a single other person was anywhere near me. Even if they weren't onscreen if they were merely in my vicinity the game had issues. Now there are like 20 people onscreen and it's fine, even on my old shitty computer.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:27 AM

This an open beta type thing?  NDA?  I'm not paying enough attention to things to know if I can talk yet.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:13 AM

No, closed beta phase 3. And heavy NDA as far as I know.

On a different note, this seems to be a quote from the director, not sure where it's coming from.

Unfortunately for seasoned MMO players, the beginning of the game may seem dull and boring. However, the GCD is in place to give players time to think about what their next move is going to be. I know that the beta test is still somewhat laggy, and you guys haven't had a lot of time to really dig into the game yet, but as you progress in level, your characters will acquire a variety of skills to use in battle. This includes combos, weapon skill and action rotations, debuff skills, and crowd control skills. As you acquire more skills to use in battle, the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is.

awesome, for real ACK!

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:32 AM

the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is.

Lol
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:35 AM

No, closed beta phase 3. And heavy NDA as far as I know.

On a different note, this seems to be a quote from the director, not sure where it's coming from.

Unfortunately for seasoned MMO players, the beginning of the game may seem dull and boring. However, the GCD is in place to give players time to think about what their next move is going to be. I know that the beta test is still somewhat laggy, and you guys haven't had a lot of time to really dig into the game yet, but as you progress in level, your characters will acquire a variety of skills to use in battle. This includes combos, weapon skill and action rotations, debuff skills, and crowd control skills. As you acquire more skills to use in battle, the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is.

awesome, for real ACK!

The info on phase 3 nda for those who are interested.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:50 AM

Then have some fun with the whole letter from Director about Combat and much more. Lots of systems are explained and discussed in fine details.

Producer/Director Yoshi-P here.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.
I'd first like to start off by apologizing for the heavy lag caused by the increased frequency of FATEs during our previous test. A majority of the problems with auto-attack not activating and position lag stemmed from this, so everything should be working relatively smoothly during the next test session.

Now then, I have a lot of ground to cover here, but I think it's about time I address the battle system. It's been quite some time since I've written a long post like this, so get comfortable, grab a cool drink, and prepare for a good read. In the future, I hope you guys keep what I cover in this post in mind as you continue to provide feedback.

■The Idea Behind FFXIV:ARR Battles and Content■
I've talked about concepts for the game's battle system and content in interviews before, but as a response to feedback here, I feel the information in my interviews doesn't quite get the point across. The last thing I want is for you guys to start debating back and forth over points that have yet to be made clear, so first I'd like to set some groundwork and clear up a few things.

■Monsters and Their Role in the Game■
Rather than focusing on encounters with common enemies out in the field, we want to place greater emphasis on FATE, dungeons, bosses, and other content we're preparing for A Realm Reborn. At the end of the day, normal enemies seen running around outside the cities aren't meant to require a great deal of effort. In contrast, when facing a boss while trying to clear a dungeon, for example, we want players to give it their all and have a fun time doing so.

■FFXI and FFXIV■
When FFXI released on PlayStation 2 a little more than 10 years ago, console gamers were able to experience an MMORPG for the first time. Although FFXI is no longer the only MMORPG on a console, there are but a few, and FFXIV will again be the first MMORPG experience for many console gamers. With this in mind, we designed the battle system based on three key principles.

- Playing in a party should not be necessary until level 15. This includes story-related events.
- Regardless of the learning curve, new players should not feel overwhelmed.
- The game's core design should allow for leisurely play over a long period of time.

Because there are so many things to remember and keep in mind when playing, MMORPGs can be fairly difficult compared to games from other genres. And because you're playing with other people in a world that's constantly changing, this is a problem that cannot be easily resolved. This is also, perhaps, why some consider MMORPGs to be so interesting.

■Perplexity, Simplicity, and Replay Value■
Many games on the market attempt to rationalize needlessly complicated game features with phrases like "Dynamic Action!" or "Revolutionary Gameplay!" but with FFXIV: ARR, we have no intention of misleading our player base. There are only two things we wish to emphasize.

- If players have a goal, they should not be impeded by overly cumbersome obstacles.
- Players should not feel the need to avoid or sneak past enemies to enjoy any given content.

Considering players should be able to enjoy an MMORPG for months, or even years at a time, obstacles simply for the sake of having obstacles hinder the gaming experience.

Unlike games from other genres, the use of a subscription model makes this much more important. Looking at MMORPG demographics, for example, your average player is younger now than when the first generation of MMORPGs were released. Nevertheless, players tend to be older due to the use of a subscription model. So when they come home from work or school and decide to play, even if it's only for an hour or two, they should be able to enjoy themselves. In other words, the use of mundane grinding for hours on end is no longer an effective means to stay competitive in the current MMORPG market.

Also, because these concepts will dictate the game's core design, any updates or new content released will inevitably be dictated by said core. This leads to three aspects of an MMORPG that must be carefully balanced to promote productive gameplay.

1. MMORPGs are based on the premise of party play.
2. If the game has a wide variety of exciting game elements, players will be compelled to try them.
3. The over use of non-targeted / area of effect skills can result in bland gameplay.*
* Encounters meant to be challenging such as dungeons tend to become unbalanced.

Even now, party play is a key element often focused on in the online gaming industry, and I believe it's what makes MMORPGs so appealing. To effectively incorporate party play into FFXIV, we first eliminated the stress of needing to form a party in the beginning of the game, and by mid-game players will start to find more content that requires teamwork. By end-game, players should be fairly comfortable with the duty finder and accustomed to group play as they take on the more challenging content we have prepared.

Although some may come to the conclusion that constant interaction with others can become tiresome in an MMORPG, the alternative to a game that emphasizes party play must also be considered. If everything were designed to be completed alone, player retention would become increasingly problematic, and the lack of interaction with other players would detract from what it means to be an MMORPG. Mind you this is a comparison of one extreme to another (completely party focused versus solo play). In the end, an MMORPG is selective in its audience, which is both its strength and its weakness.

Regardless of how particular FFXIV: ARR may be in choosing its audience, as producer and director, the ability to attract new players is absolutely imperative.

This is where the remaining two aspects necessary for productive gameplay come into effect. But with so many games out on the market, in order for FFXIV: ARR to be accessible and interest new players enough to delve deeper, a certain sense of simplicity is necessary in the beginning of the game. Interesting game content and proper balancing are also important in motivating players to continue playing, but this is a given. As mentioned previously, however, no matter how hard one tries to attract new players, no MMORPG is capable of appealing to all audiences effectively. I personally believe an attempt to appeal to and retain every type of gamer effectively is too idealistic.

To speak specifically about game balance, I believe it's important that content is enjoyable, accessible, and does not hinder party communication when playing through it. Moreover, there should be a variety of things to do to keep players interested. Gameplay should also have a steady pace, but not simply devolve into spamming weapon skills.

As many of you know, I'm also an avid gamer, so you can expect end-game content as challenging as Version 1.0, along with an assortment of quests and stories befitting a Final Fantasy title. For those of you concerned about a lack of challenging end-game content, if Version 1.0 is any indication, you can rest easy knowing there are fierce battles on the horizon.

In short, we've placed emphasis on quality gameplay that's easily accessible, and can be enjoyed in the long term.

■Research and Analysis■
The title of this section speaks for itself, but I've spent a fair bit of time studying other large MMORPGs currently on the market. More importantly, I've been monitoring their retention rates. Of course, people tend to concern themselves with sell-in and sell-through, but the longevity of an MMORPG depends on retention. This is why it's important to understand that game developers for online games always make their decisions based on retention rate. Because I'm a gamer myself, I also take time to play the game, as well as take feedback from players, which I believe is also very important.

This, in a rather big nutshell, outlines the basic concept we have in mind for FFXIV: ARR. This applies not only to the battle system, but all aspects of the game. Whether it's a simple FATE against a wave of enemies, or a gritty battle against a powerful NM, offering players a variety of options to have fun is our goal.
(Speaking of FATE, you can expect a separate post on this in the near future )

Now that I've gotten the groundwork out of the way, let's get down to some of the finer points of the battle system.

■GCD and Planning Time■
The current implementation of the GCD (Global Cooldown) is a result of our aim to keep things simple while ensuring players can enjoy the game for a long time. Unfortunately for seasoned MMO players, the beginning of the game may seem dull and boring. However, the GCD is in place to give players time to think about what their next move is going to be. I know that the beta test is still somewhat laggy, and you guys haven't had a lot of time to really dig into the game yet, but as you progress in level, your characters will acquire a variety of skills to use in battle. This includes combos, weapon skill and action rotations, debuff skills, and crowd control skills. As you acquire more skills to use in battle, the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is. I hope you all will continue testing and explore the potential of the current system.

■Skill Rotations and Adjustments■
While our goal is for players to have access to more skill rotations as they level, it shouldn't take too long to reach that level of gameplay. As we read over your feeedback and look over our own data, we'll be making adjustments so that combos and skill rotations are available at an earlier level.

Archer in particular has no actions that combo, and we feel its skill rotation is lacking. When fighting one on one against a powerful enemy, such as a boss, this lack of combos and skill rotations is much more noticeable. Over the course of the beta test, we will continue to make adjustments to actions while taking in your feedback.

■Auto-attack■
There's been a fair bit of debate as to what purpose auto-attack serves in ARR, but the answer is simple. Auto-attack is the source of your character's base damage. Based on all the feedback received relating to auto-attack and its utility as a source of damage, we've been working significant changes since the end of alpha testing which should be ready by the latter half of the beta test. Although I can't go into detail about the changes yet, one thing I can tell you is there are be no changes such as the use of auto-attack to restore TP.

It may be hard to tell when you experience the first dungeon at level 15, but by the time you can explore the level 25 to 35 dungeons, the finite nature of TP and MP should become more apparent. That is, you will have to make smart choices with your skills to not only use TP and MP effectively, but to survive more dangerous encounters. In the event you do run out of MP and TP, however, you will still have auto-attack as a constant source of base damage. There are still more adjustments to be made, but in the meantime, your feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

■FFXIV is Like Poker?■
This may be a stretch, but I'd like to take a moment to break down the combat system by comparing it to Texas hold ‘em poker

- There is little time where you will be sitting there doing nothing. (However, there's always enough time to strategize)
- You won’t start with a full hand, overwhelmed by too many options
- As more cards are revealed (as you level up and acquire more actions/traits), the number of options (skill combinations) available to you increases
- Each weapon skill serves as a "card," with combos and triggered effects serving as "hands."
- You change your "hand" according to how a fight plays out (but you’ll always have time to think on your strageies).
- Limit breaks, which are planned for implementation in phase 3, will serve as "hands" shared by the party.
- Auto-attack serves as one of your "cards" when all other options have been exhausted, as it's still a means of sustaining that base damage.

This is the premise of the battle system. I know poker wasn't the best analogy to describe how the battle system will work, but I hope you guys get the general idea.

■PvP Actions■
When discussing the design of actions and weaponskills, we originally planned for actions geared toward PvP to automatically be learned by leveling, just as is the case with PvE actions. However, realized this would create problems. For those who only play PvE, they would have no use for skills catered to PvP. In contrast, those who do play PvP would inevitably have too many to sort through. What we've decided to do is create two separate sets of skills for that players will have the freedom to interchange depending on whether they’re playing PvE or PvP. These PvP actions will be obtained through participation in PvP.

■Constantly Contradicting Elements■
Phew, I think that about does it. Thanks for sticking around to read all of that. By now I'm sure everyone who's read through both posts is a little more aware of certain MMORPG elements that are constantly contradicting themselves:
- It's great when solo play is easy, but if there's no community, the game can't thrive.
- If you make a game simple, it's easy to understand, but it can also be stale and unoriginal.
- If you make the game complex and action oriented, it can be exciting, but also convoluted.

Unfortunately, these three contradicting points are intertwined, so it's impossible to try and fix one issue without tampering with another. Nevertheless, a happy equilibrium between these three points must be met in order to make an enjoyable game. As we continue making adjustments and planning for the future, we are always mindful of our preferences for one idea over another, and we ask that you do the same, but don't worry about it too much. Leave the sleepless nights discussing designs and game mechanics to us (as well as the lag problems... We’ll working on those, I swear!)

Your feedback is vital to balancing the game, and I've read through the battle feedback threads thoroughly. Between the manual, the schedules, the developer's comments, and all the tester feedback in here, I realize there is a lot to read through, and I thank you all for taking the time to do it.

I can say with confidence that only FFXIV could receive so much feedback and support from around the world for a beta test that's only getting started.

See you next time, here in the forums or in the Beta Test!

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 11:35:07 AM

I'm reading that as "we acknowledge that solo play can/could be fun, but we really don't give a fuck.  Group up or fuck off."  Or am I misreading the tea leafs again?

Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 12:11:18 PM

Grinding xp was one part of it. The other was WAITING FOR A GOD DAMN PARTY TO LET YOUR JOB OF CHOICE IN. No one likes to sit looking for a party. How they solve this issue is just as important as solving the grinding part.

I do miss the party aspects of FFXI since they were some of the most in depth in terms of synergy of jobs and flow of the game, but holy shit did that game suck balls if you wanted to play a DPS role. And then the countless hours waiting for specific quests that people either were not interested in because there was no benefit to them (AF armor quests sucked balls for most of the pieces) or it was too hard for the level characters and higher characters didn't want to bother with investing hours to slay shit for a rare drop (looking at you Ancient Papyrus). I pass on that...

edit: just noticed my train of thought on this was derailed and I never finished the either part of it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:07:29 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

I just read an interview somewhere that said they were taking out the GCD from some attacks?

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20130613_602879.html

In beta phase 3, battle system will go through some changes, what direction did it take for the changes?

Y: Up until now everything was taken control by GCD but abilities will now move on it’s own (timer) Weapon skill will have GCD but you can use abilities now in between so you’re going to be busy.

So now it’s possible to fight while constantly using some type of action?

Y: In the beginning it’s not that much, but as you learn more skills, it will be very important to decide the positioning and what type of combos to use. For example if you feel you’re in danger, you can use abilities such as “Fight or fly” (probably different naming in English) to increase DPS defeat the mob at once before the weapon skill.

What do you mean by using in between weapon skill?

Y: While the timer (GCD) is still running, you use the ability in between, it’s basically to use up the available time wisely. For example, this character is Gladiator and is Tank, so it doesn't have much DPS. The classes role is to hold the enemy. Now if this was a Monk, you will run around to the side or behind the enemy and buff yourself while increasing evasion to increase haste effect, so you’ll need fight while continuing to keep the attacks going. If you miss, you’ll have to start over again so you’ll need to think over. The DPS will change when looking over duration.

――そうなると一気に忙しくなる感じですね。

If that’s so, seems like it’s going to be much busier

Y: At the beginning new adventurers are limited with amount of available skills, this will increase as you level. We checked into how much battles you need to go through in order to level up to the next level, from there you’ll learn new skill but it’s not something you learn and use in that order. You’ll learn skills that may in go between the skills you have already learned. You’ll also learn in time that the damage will increase from specific position. So say first move needs to be used from behind the enemy and 2nd being from the side, you’ll first go around the mob, run to the side and use 2nd then watch the mob to stop to use weapon skill to dodge and put in the 3rd combo, or instead of 3rd combo you may want to use the first skill again to increase the buff... or if you take in too much hate, use feather step in between to increase evasion and right after dodging to put in a counter ability, so you’ll have many different options. (reworded)

So not only does it get busier, it will require lots of strategy. If you can perform that much looks like the battle can be enjoyed not only with a party but with solo also.
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 01:11:44 PM

I just read an interview somewhere that said they were taking out the GCD from some attacks?

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20130613_602879.html

In beta phase 3, battle system will go through some changes, what direction did it take for the changes?

Y: Up until now everything was taken control by GCD but abilities will now move on it’s own (timer) Weapon skill will have GCD but you can use abilities now in between so you’re going to be busy.

So now it’s possible to fight while constantly using some type of action?

Y: In the beginning it’s not that much, but as you learn more skills, it will be very important to decide the positioning and what type of combos to use. For example if you feel you’re in danger, you can use abilities such as “Fight or fly” (probably different naming in English) to increase DPS defeat the mob at once before the weapon skill.

What do you mean by using in between weapon skill?

Y: While the timer (GCD) is still running, you use the ability in between, it’s basically to use up the available time wisely. For example, this character is Gladiator and is Tank, so it doesn't have much DPS. The classes role is to hold the enemy. Now if this was a Monk, you will run around to the side or behind the enemy and buff yourself while increasing evasion to increase haste effect, so you’ll need fight while continuing to keep the attacks going. If you miss, you’ll have to start over again so you’ll need to think over. The DPS will change when looking over duration.

――そうなると一気に忙しくなる感じですね。

If that’s so, seems like it’s going to be much busier

Y: At the beginning new adventurers are limited with amount of available skills, this will increase as you level. We checked into how much battles you need to go through in order to level up to the next level, from there you’ll learn new skill but it’s not something you learn and use in that order. You’ll learn skills that may in go between the skills you have already learned. You’ll also learn in time that the damage will increase from specific position. So say first move needs to be used from behind the enemy and 2nd being from the side, you’ll first go around the mob, run to the side and use 2nd then watch the mob to stop to use weapon skill to dodge and put in the 3rd combo, or instead of 3rd combo you may want to use the first skill again to increase the buff... or if you take in too much hate, use feather step in between to increase evasion and right after dodging to put in a counter ability, so you’ll have many different options. (reworded)

So not only does it get busier, it will require lots of strategy. If you can perform that much looks like the battle can be enjoyed not only with a party but with solo also.

I am going to need a lot of Adderall. Seriously, this sounds like a big god damn mess. I am all for positioning and moving, but still...

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 01:16:12 PM

For a second, I misread post-title, and thought F13 graduated (reborn) to F14…  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:14 PM

I played a Thaumaturge up to level 7 or so last night. I started with a nuke spell, learned a different nuke spell then learned a DOT. The first nuke applies gravity (slow movement) and can put you in a state where you regen MP faster, the second one can put you in a state where you do more damage and don't regen MP at all, so there is some tactical use there. However looking at what skills I would learn next there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about. It seemed pretty barebones compared to FFXI or Vanilla 14.

I actually liked that in XIV vanilla you had a lot of different skills with different costs to equip and had to make some decisions about what to bring with you. Now I don't have many skills at all. I don't know if this is just a Thaumaturge thing, and you can equip other skills from other classes you level and eventually becomes a FF "job" like Black Mage, so maybe this issue solves itself, but it does feel like for the next 10 levels or so I'm not going to have much to do different from what I have now.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 04:55:04 PM

This is playing like TERA for me.

That's not a good thing, for me anyways.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:02 PM

2500 ms GCD? Is that right?!

It's a fucking turn based game at that point. Nearly play by email! What the hell, that's going to be some of the worst MMO combat ever.

Why people are flipping out over this I'll never understand. Especially after a ton of people got hoodwinked over the 'first version' of FF14.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:10 AM

I don't know what's going on, but there's something compelling in this game so far. Not a single "new" thing, and yet I am fascinated. You know the drill, ignore Falconeer, especially because it's probably that retro-chip I have preinstalled in my brain and can't get rid of speaking, but this is giving me warm feelings I can't really justify (mind, I am one hour into the thing, maybe two).

Also, character creation is nothing special on paper, but it is smooth and very pleasant to toy with.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 05:38:43 AM

It's pretty, the areas are more interesting than the first iteration, and I still like the Mi'quote.

Unfortunately it feels like a game from a decade ago and I'm not interested in grouping a majority of the time.  Plus sub.  Meh.

Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 06:31:24 AM

It's pretty, the areas are more interesting than the first iteration, and I still like the Mi'quote.

Unfortunately it feels like a game from a decade ago and I'm not interested in grouping a majority of the time.  Plus sub.  Meh.

Not happy that I didn't get a beta invite even though I was in the first iteration beta. They really should have sent invites automatically to those people since they would be the ones to really compare the two best. Re-signing up for beta didn't even dawn on me. But oh well.

And sub... yeah that might be a breaker unless it is $8-10. I might go for that until Wildstar hits at least.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:10 AM

What Lantyssa said. It feels a lot like a streamlined, updated EverQuest 2. Or Final Fantasy XI if you want. But much more streamlined, definitely elegant in its conservatism (word?)-

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 07:02:33 AM

Not happy that I didn't get a beta invite even though I was in the first iteration beta. They really should have sent invites automatically to those people since they would be the ones to really compare the two best. Re-signing up for beta didn't even dawn on me. But oh well.
Did you try logging in?  I never got a new invite, but it patched and launched just fine when I logged in.

Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:44 AM

Did you try logging in?  I never got a new invite, but it patched and launched just fine when I logged in.

I'll have to dig around in my email archives. I don't even recall what my login account info was and I am on a new rig since then so I never even installed it on this machine. Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a shot.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 10:44:56 AM

01101010, when you say the first beta, do you mean for ARR or the original FFXIV? I believe anyone who was in the earlier ARR beta is in all of the later phases, but being in the old XIV beta did not automatically grant access to the ARR beta.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 15, 2013, 10:54:29 AM

01101010, when you say the first beta, do you mean for ARR or the original FFXIV? I believe anyone who was in the earlier ARR beta is in all of the later phases, but being in the old XIV beta did not automatically grant access to the ARR beta.

The old one. But my point still stands. They should have migrated those beta accounts over.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:51 PM

What Lantyssa said. It feels a lot like a streamlined, updated EverQuest 2. Or Final Fantasy XI if you want. But much more streamlined, definitely elegant in its conservatism (word?)-

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? To me it's a good thing. (I liked FFXI!) But even if it's a bad thing it's a market that is not being catered to nearly as much as the WoW clone market.

It's kind of amazing how different the game is. As far as I can tell the only thing that is the same as in Vanilla is some of the geometry.

I kind of miss some of the systems of vanilla XIV though, in particular how you had a lot of skills, they cost points, and you had to decide which to equip to get under a point limit. IMO XIV had a lot of cool systems, they just didn't work together well and didn't matter because the game as a whole was so fundamentally messed-up.

Edit: I haven't gotten to the part where I can use limit breaks but they don't sound as interesting as skill chains. IMO the best phase of XI was when people would pull IT++ monsters and use skill chains to bring them down. (Later it became more efficient to fight weaker mobs and skill chains didn't really matter any more as a major point of skill chains was lowered chance of resist on the magic bursts) Limit Breaks sound like they fill a different niche, buffing the party in same way, but I would love to see skill chains come back.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:10:04 PM by Margalis »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 03:51:47 PM

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? To me it's a good thing. (I liked FFXI!) But even if it's a bad thing it's a market that is not being catered to nearly as much as the WoW clone market.

I'm very interested in this as an experiment to see how a sub does in this market.  I suspect that F2P is here to stay for the masses, but there's a segment of older gamers that would be willing to pay monthly to keep a more traditional MMO experience. 

To clarify, I don't think this is the game to succeed with that plan.  However, I'm interested to see if they can make their idea work in this market. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 02:57:16 AM

Just now noticed that I got a beta invite and that it's good for the PS3 version as well.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #68 on: June 16, 2013, 02:28:18 PM

This is playing like TERA for me.

That's not a good thing, for me anyways.
... wat.

Which part of "tab target, and stand in place while your character pretends to dodge and/or block while you 'strategize' which skill to use next time you're off the 2.5 sec gcd" plays like Tera for you?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 05:15:34 PM

Some of Luckton's posts just have to be ignored sometimes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: