Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382290 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #105 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:54 AM

I got the invite today as well, and thus far I'm at least impressed with the presentation, if not so much with the play mechanics.  But the horrible generic repetitive landscapes are gone, the clunky controls are gone, the visuals are lovely and the music is great.  The interface is straightforward and playing is smooth, though the whole 'autoattack and occasionally press a skill' system is something that I might not be able to get past.

God damn music is killing me with flashbacks of FFXI. I agree with pretty much everything you said, though I will have to play just to grab the MMO Final Fantasy lightning one more time. Square does make a pretty game, sight and sound.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:08 AM

Is the testing schedule more available yet? I got in a while ago but it was only running on weekends which isn't really convenient for me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #107 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:08 AM

Even worse. Beta 3 ends tomorrow and for beta 4 you will need a new client, if not a new invite altogether, and it's not clear when it is gonna start anyway. At least this is what I've understood so far.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 12:04:21 PM

Even worse. Beta 3 ends tomorrow and for beta 4 you will need a new client, if not a new invite altogether, and it's not clear when it is gonna start anyway. At least this is what I've understood so far.

What, where did you read that? I still see the latest schedule as:

July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 2:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 9:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)
* Beta test phase 3 will conclude on Monday, July 15th. The beta test phase 4 schedule will be announced at a later time.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:32 PM

Phase 4 is supposed to be the open beta, and the real start of the game, so I can't imagine you'll need a new beta key for it, but I've been wrong in the past, quite a few times.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 16, 2013, 02:23:14 PM

Beta 4 is gonna be open from everything I've heard, and they've said that barring anything catastrophic they won't wipe character data, so it's more a head start on release than anything else.  So judging from that, it's going to be Beta 4, then pre-order head start, then full release, probably back to back given that they've called August 27th as release day.
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 16, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

Beta 4 is gonna be open from everything I've heard, and they've said that barring anything catastrophic they won't wipe character data, so it's more a head start on release than anything else.  So judging from that, it's going to be Beta 4, then pre-order head start, then full release, probably back to back given that they've called August 27th as release day.

Still don't understand this keeping a open beta character. Not against it, just not understanding it. Then again, I played so many MMOs that were essentially still in beta at release, so there's that. As I heard it, phase 4 will start and be a week, then they will close servers for a final pass. After a few days/a week, they do the headstart thing which it is just a perk of preordering since everyone already started in open beta, then release. Very strange, but then again... this is a very strange thing to reboot an MMO completely.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:51 PM

It's their chance to win back customers, and give them some actual reason to stick around past the freebie open beta.  They really, really need open beta to be a success after how completely the original version of the game cratered.  The amount of money they sunk into the redo here is pretty phenomenal, and it actually shows, more than I thought it would given that they've only had two years to do this.
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 16, 2013, 06:22:10 PM

It's their chance to win back customers, and give them some actual reason to stick around past the freebie open beta.  They really, really need open beta to be a success after how completely the original version of the game cratered.  The amount of money they sunk into the redo here is pretty phenomenal, and it actually shows, more than I thought it would given that they've only had two years to do this.

Sadly, they kept Limsa pretty much the same... hate that shit hole city - fucking levels. Unfortunately, I'll have to go there because fishing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 17, 2013, 06:21:36 AM

Sadly, they kept Limsa pretty much the same...

When I last played, it did seem that area was designed to waste your time, from the vender locations to how spread apart everything was.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 19, 2013, 01:18:37 PM

Open beta (phase 4) is coming up, ubt you have to request a code and register an account. In case anyone wants to putz around in for a week in the open beta.

Link to the site. And the details below.

Deadlines for Beta Test Applications and Beta Code Registration (07/19/2013)
For those who have registered a beta code by Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 9:59p.m. (PDT), you will automatically be accepted to participate in Beta Test phase 4 (final Beta Test). If you have not yet registered a beta code, please make sure to complete the registration process before the above date.

For those of you who have not yet applied for the Beta Test, please submit your application by Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT).

Application Period:
Until Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT)
* On the above date and time, the Beta Tester Application Site will be temporarily closed and will reopen when Beta Test phase 4(final Beta Test) begins.

Registration Period:
Until Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 9:59 p.m. (PDT)
* If your beta code has not been registered by the above date and time, you will need to resubmit your application at the Beta Tester Application Site once Beta Test phase 4 begins.

Those who have yet to apply, be sure to visit the Beta Tester Application Site.

To register your beta code, please click here.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #116 on: July 19, 2013, 01:19:41 PM

How much are they paying?

"Me am play gods"
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #117 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:58 AM

So wait, it's "open beta" but you have to apply for it a week in advance, and if you didn't then you have to apply after it starts (and there's no word whether that will be 'automatically accepted' or not, which makes either the "open" part of that beta or the whole idea of 'apply a week in advance' questionable, to put it mildly)

The more things change, the more they stay the same Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 22, 2013, 04:31:00 AM

So wait, it's "open beta" but you have to apply for it a week in advance, and if you didn't then you have to apply after it starts (and there's no word whether that will be 'automatically accepted' or not, which makes either the "open" part of that beta or the whole idea of 'apply a week in advance' questionable, to put it mildly)

The more things change, the more they stay the same Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yep. It is batshit crazy, but they are 'supposedly' not wiping characters in this phase of beta. I am quite sure, this is just SE's way of getting its hands on your email address. *shrug*

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 25, 2013, 06:13:16 PM

I'm in, but was a 1.0 guy so it wasn't hard.

I don't think I'd give it a retry if they had wiped my toons from launch, but since it's basically free levels and a reduced price (I think) for Legacies, gonna go back and poke around.  I liked a lot of what I saw in Phase 3 (not that it was that hard to improve upon hours of Eft grinding) and think they are going in the right direction.

The fact that this game hinges on a Japanese base as the mainstay gives me hope this doesn't turn into a F2P walletfisting like every other P2P converted.. some just worse than others.

So I guess as long as the Japanese are happy... game won't crash this time around.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 01, 2013, 09:53:54 AM

They released a benchmark + character creation http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html

Character creator didn't work for me, my mouse cursor disappeared. Benchmark worked fine though, looks like "standard desktop" for me. That is if I bother with a game that makes my mouse cursor disappear.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:11 PM

Not sure how much interest folks have anymore, but they announced P4 beta for August 17th.

I'm not rebuying the game (1.0 players get 2.0 free) just to get three days of Head Start, but I'll be in there for the last beta leveling up toons, then back for regular launch with the rest of the stadium bums.

Not sure I should have switched my server from Sag to Excalibur though. I have no idea what that one will be like.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #122 on: August 09, 2013, 02:38:47 PM

I have a couple of friends who want to try it so I'll be playing some at least at launch. I preordered but missed the last closed beta so am waiting for the P4 open beta now.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:32 AM

The NDA has been pretty much lifted now (you can do anything but post videos, although they are all over YouTube anyway).

I've been playing this and it's a by-the-numbers MMO with almost no originality. You get given quests by NPCs with icons over their heads who tell you to kill things or click on things, and then you return to the NPC and get a reward. To fight something, you click on it or use the tab key to target it, and then press number keys to activate skills.

There are public quests, known as FATES, accomplishments to collect (completed 10 quests, killed 100 monsters etc). It does have multiclassing, which I guess is pretty cool. It looks beautiful.

I get the impression that after the first Final Fantasy XIV game they went as far into their safety zone as they could and stuck religiously to the WOW forumla with the addition of the features, such as public quests, which have become common in more recent WOW-style games. They seem to have made a conscious decision not to do anything new that will frighten players away.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #124 on: August 19, 2013, 06:09:12 AM

One of my friends was over and showed me this on his high-end gaming laptop (yeah I know). It's pretty and runs a lot better than the 1.0 version I recall, and yep it's pretty much Japanese-designed WoW now.

Very pretty, neat looking and customizable interface (Kinda wondering why most western devs can't make a decent looking mmo interface to save their lives), nice music.

Looked really boring though.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:52 AM

Both fair assessments of it. It pulls on my FFXI heart strings hard enough for me to throw some money at them and see, but I am not so jaded to think this is anything other than a standard fare MMO with a Final Fantasy coating. I am ok with that.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 19, 2013, 12:38:27 PM

I've seen a lot of interest in this which frankly shocked me after the disaster it had at first launch. I think there's a built in audience for anything FF, many of whom aren't the standard MMO players.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:56 PM

What I saw in the betas was enough for me to pay them twenty bucks and give them one month to really impress me.  Unlike the original disaster, it's very polished and smooth to play, my one major concern is whether it has enough going on to keep me interested.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #128 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

I played an archer for a few hours last night.  The game is gorgeous (duh) and I was enamored with my little fox/cat girl thingy.  The animation is pretty spot on.  The game is pretty bland for the first 10 levels, which is all I saw.  The only thing that really annoyed me was how fucking talky it is.

Right click on quest giver; Window pops up with quest synopsis.
ACCEPT!
Chat bubble (click to continue)
Chat bubble (click)
Chat bubble (click)
Chat bu (clickclickclickclickcklickcliclkcclilckclik)
Quest Accepted!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 19, 2013, 01:49:12 PM

The game is gorgeous, the combat is fun for me, and I don't mind all the talky bits. I wish it had the breadth of classes that FFXI had, though.

It'll be something neat to sink a few months into with the SO.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #130 on: August 19, 2013, 02:12:55 PM

There is one thing however that I think is in the game that hasn't been in any other MMO I can think of beside FF11; it has a weird rudimentary cross-language chat system that actually works pretty well for what it is.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:51 PM

I'm fairly disappointed that the Japanese have their own servers now. I really enjoyed playing with them in FFXI when I was working second shift.

Also, I find it quite funny that there are EU-specific servers, but that they're located in the same physical spot as the NA ones, making them pointless.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #132 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:32 PM

It's basically a side version of WoW with a Final Fantasy skin. The multiclassing is neat, though. I'll probably stick with it for a few weeks to see how it shakes out.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 19, 2013, 06:18:36 PM

I saw a few comments about forced grouping on the previous page. Is it really that group centric? I know people here disdain it, but it's the whole reason I play and if it has the group gameplay, it might be worth my checking out.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:06 PM

There's no forced grouping at all. You just queue up for stuff like any other game.

You're encouraged  to group up to do things, but you're by no means forced.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:29:08 PM by koro »
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36:39 PM

Well, you're not going to solo Ifrit at level 20 to progress the main story quest.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:05 PM

Grouping is far less required than it is for say FFXI, though from what I understand as you move along and do more serious content it does become more group-centric.

It's a pretty well-made WoW-style game. Whereas FFXIV version 1 was a terrible WoW-style game. I don't really care too much about WoW-style games so I'm not that enthused, the moment to moment game play isn't that exciting and the structure doesn't do much for me. That said, turning the game into what it is now was a pretty heroic effort. As far as I can tell pretty much the whole game has been redone outside of some of the assets.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:24 AM

There's no forced grouping at all. You just queue up for stuff like any other game.

You're encouraged  to group up to do things, but you're by no means forced.

Well, to progress your story, you are forced to group. At lvl ~15 you are sent to the first light party dungeon (1 of 3) and you have to complete it to move the story along. Then again at Ifrit, and after. But I haven't seen any XP parties with designated camps in the world - for which I am a little relieved.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 23, 2013, 02:33:49 PM

Just wanted to add a heads up to those who thought they had the game downloaded, installed and ready to go for tomorrow, there was an update today and a pretty big download you will want to get sooner rather than later.
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:31 PM

Just wanted to add a heads up to those who thought they had the game downloaded, installed and ready to go for tomorrow, there was an update today and a pretty big download you will want to get sooner rather than later.

Was only a gig for PC, but yeah... I wouldn't wait till tomorrow. Then again, I am predicting some sort of maintenance and downtime tomorrow at some point early on. You can probably get it then.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: