Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  (Read 202469 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: November 23, 2014, 08:40:32 PM

I am going to be SUPER fucking sad if they kill off Anya to give Silk character motivation or whatever the fuck they do.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: November 26, 2014, 06:41:30 AM

The Silk character is kind of gross conceptually.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: November 26, 2014, 11:58:18 AM

That's putting it mildly  why so serious?

She's someones fan wank fantasy, it's awful. I don't understand why she even exists.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: December 01, 2014, 02:17:03 AM

So, I picked up Age of Ultron as a wee impulse buy.

I want my money back.

The whole thing is goddamn awful and not even worth 2 quid, never mind the 16 I shelled out.

Bad, bad, bad, bad.  I'd have to cover a couple of pages to talk about everything wrong with it, but Jesus Christ, someone tell me I'm missing something ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:18 AM

Nope, it's bad.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #320 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:30 AM

I'd have to cover a couple of pages to talk about everything wrong with it, but Jesus Christ, someone tell me I'm missing something ?

Apparently what you missed is that it's one of Marvel's big event stories, and you also missed Bendis' name on the cover. Neither tends to be a sign of quality.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:32 AM

Heartbreak

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: December 01, 2014, 04:50:13 AM

There are really shockingly few big event stories at either company that are even decent reads.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #323 on: December 01, 2014, 06:40:01 AM

Spider-verse is pretty much the first event I've liked since the Annihilation stuff. Before that you'd probably have to go back to Age of Apocalypse.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: December 01, 2014, 08:33:38 AM

Annihilation (all of them, from the first w/Annihilus up to the Cancerverse one) was absolutely great. I think because it didn't have to crossover lots of titles that didn't fit, and because it wasn't afraid to change the status quo in substantial ways for the characters.

DC One Million was great fun.

Age of Apocalypse was ok, though it's a well Marvel had already gone too much too often when it first came out.

That's about it. Crisis on Infinite Earths was at least "wow, that's a big deal" for younger me, but the story was mostly shit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #325 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:48 AM

I like Crisis, I even liked Infinite Crisis (though Identity Crisis was good until the total WTF ending) and 52. 52 might have been the last good event story. Marvel has not done a good event story since the second Annihilation. All the Avengers and X-Men based event stories since Bendis took over Avengers have been a steadily spiraling cesspool of shit and stupid. Age of Ultron was insanely bad and horribly unoriginal. It was essentially Age of Apocalypse for Avengers' characters only with an idiotic ending.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #326 on: December 01, 2014, 02:15:53 PM

I don't really read enough DC to have seen enough of their events other than Infinite Crisis and 52. Both of those felt like they had a lot of good moments but weren't really cohesive stories. I guess I read Blackest Night also which worked as a Green Lantern event, provided you didn't read to many of the repetitive spin-offs, but worked less as DCU event. I'm sure there have been some good Batman-centric events though since they seem to try to put a lot of their top talent onto those books and it looks like Geoff Johns doesn't mess with them.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: December 02, 2014, 02:29:26 PM

The whole idea of the big crossover as a regular event is silly.

Secret Wars was cool because it was new. But the cool factor of big events isn't there when they happen annually or even more often. It also often feels like there's no motivation for them beyond "let's make some money!"

Inferno was pretty cool though!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:09 PM

Reposted from Reddit in its entirety:
The story of how Lex Luthor ended up in the Gotham City correctional system was a long one, and if questioned, there was a very low chance that he would have admitted to making any mistakes. The story of how the city decided to put all their prisoners on a ferry was a long one that would no doubt be the subject of numerous hearings and court cases, no matter what ended up happening. And the story of how the Joker had planted a bomb on not one but two ferries was one that was probably longer than the other two combined.

"The Joker seems to think that he's being clever," said Lex to the prisoners and guards. He stood over the bomb, which was ticking merrily away. It had taken some talking to get to this point, but now they were looking at him as an authority, and that meant that there was plenty of time for a monologue while his brain worked at the problem. "He's trying to prove something, I suppose, about the depravity of man. If they blow us up, it proves that they're no better than we are. If we blow them up ... I suppose it's a vindication of the justice system, and I don't see how that helps him make his point, aside from getting a lot of people killed. And if neither of us blows the other up, then he just kills us himself and makes his point that way - that in the end, it doesn't matter whether you do the right thing or not, you die by the actions of a maniac anyway."

Lex pointed out a part of the bomb. He had been very careful to keep himself to a visual inspection, and counted himself lucky that most of the mechanisms were exposed. "There. It has a number of fail-deadly mechanisms in it. The point would be subverted if we simply disabled the bombs." He frowned slightly as he stepped around the bomb. "At any rate, it seems that the Joker read something about the prisoner's dilemma, or perhaps simply arrived at this game on his own. There are a number of differences, of course. For one, there's no incentive for cooperation. For another, there's no penalty for defection. The dominant strategy, from a game theoretical perspective, is simply to press the switch as soon as humanly possible." He shot a dark look at the tall black man who'd thrown the switch out the window. "Of course, game theory is about reducing human decisions down to their core, and stripping away the ability to come at the situation from another angle. You begin talking about trolleys and tracks, and most people will ask for more details before they accept that the situation boils down to simply pulling or not pulling a lever. Throwing themselves in front of the trolley, running to untie the people, and what have you. A sensible thing to think about, but not so great for science."

He reached forward and yanked out one of the wires from the bomb. A collective gasp came up from everyone around him, and despite the fact that he was sweating, Lex put on his best grin. "Don't be too excited, that was only the part connected to the timer. The receiver for the radio signal is closer to the center, and I can't get at the wire without tripping the mercury switches, which would kill us all. The Joker is more of a planner than you might expect to look at him." He looked to the guards. "I'm not saying that I would have pressed the switch, you understand. It would be just like the Joker to rig the bombs up to explode when either switch was pressed, or something equally moronic. He would find it funny. But I've bought us some time while the other boat contemplates whether to kill us. No doubt they're holding a vote or deciding who has to be the one to do it. Stupid, but at least more sensible than simply throwing the switch out the window."

"We can't do anything about what they decide," said one of the guards. "Hopefully they make the right choice and figure out how to disarm their own bomb."

"Hope is for idiots," said Lex. He looked to the ceiling. "We need to tear out those wires. I think if we still have a few minutes I might be able to make a crude Faraday cage."

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: December 08, 2014, 06:44:59 AM

why so serious?

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: January 03, 2015, 07:09:18 PM

February is 'Phil Noto does Marvel' month. 20 covers given the full Phil Noto photo-journalist/heyday of print-magazine effect. I want the Inhumans cover as a massive print.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:11:08 PM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #331 on: January 09, 2015, 04:30:38 PM

The first issue of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl came out this week. It's worth checking out.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:40 PM

The art I've seen from it looks dreadful.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #333 on: January 09, 2015, 05:09:50 PM

Yeah I don't like the way she looks.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: January 10, 2015, 08:09:49 PM

I think the art is great and completely apropos for Squirrel Girl, I just wish Erica Henderson would be more consistent with SG's face. She'll look fine and fun for several panels and then you get a close-up that bears more resemblance to Spongebob Squarepants in full gurn-mode than SG. It's something I can see getting better over time, and since I only pick up trades I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm right.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #335 on: January 11, 2015, 07:24:26 AM

Sorry, took a look, and cannot get past the art.  I haven't had such a negative reaction to something like that in a very long time.  Just...... No.  Hell No.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:43 PM

Its certainly an unusual style and doesn't look like previous SGs in other comics. I wonder what Marvel were trying to go with it

Hic sunt dracones.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #337 on: January 11, 2015, 05:11:51 PM

I have been waiting for a Squirrel Girl book for a long while. As such, I am going to forgive the 2/10 sharp knees art for a few issues.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #338 on: January 11, 2015, 07:33:12 PM

Its certainly an unusual style and doesn't look like previous SGs in other comics. I wonder what Marvel were trying to go with it

Younger kids from the looks of what I'm seeing on Google.  The art style reminds me of cartoons vs. traditional "comic" styles.  Really simplified backgrounds and over-exaggerated faces and poses vs. sexy bodies and poses that are aimed at teen and pre-teen boys.

Which fits in with Marvel's general aim at younger audiences and the DisneyXD crowd these days.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:41 AM

Several Marvel books have their own style these days.  Ms. Marvel and Black Widow come to mind immediately.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: January 12, 2015, 10:35:21 AM

Several Marvel books have their own style these days.  Ms. Marvel and Black Widow come to mind immediately.

Those are both great examples. Ms. Marvel is in my top 3 fave comics right now (although the last comic was a bit too preachy for my tastes).
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: January 12, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

Marvel is progressively (certainly for Marvel) testing the boundaries of the market. It might not pull off the mega-sales and series might be cancelled pretty swiftly but they seem far keener to take risks with new artists and styles and really want to break into demographics they haven't before. Squirrel Girl is a cult figure even in Superhero comics and blending her care-free, breezy attitude with an art style reminiscent of indie books and crossover demo cartoons like Adventure Time and Regular Show is a great hook for people who maybe hadn't considered picking up a Marvel comics title before. Maybe it's all to do with the House of Mouse pulling the strings these days but Marvel seem to be in a far more robust place now that books like USG and She-Hulk are even being considered.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #342 on: January 12, 2015, 12:48:33 PM

I think it actually has as much to do with Joe Quesada as anything Disney might be directing from above. Joe Q has always embraced more "alternative/indie" styles as compared to the Marvel stuff that came before him, probably because of how indie he was before coming back to Marvel as EIC.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:32 PM

Even when I don't like a particular book, I love the basic approach Marvel is taking right now to creator-driven work, with lots of chances taken. It's a huge contrast to the heavy-handed and contradictory editing going on at DC.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: January 20, 2015, 05:23:16 PM

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: January 20, 2015, 05:45:16 PM

Oh Dear.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #346 on: January 20, 2015, 05:56:18 PM

Oy vey.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: January 20, 2015, 07:09:46 PM

I seriously do not get it. Doesn't have good synergy with their movie properties, seems like fanwank, feels like it's something from the intellectual property lawyers rather than the creatives, and is imitating the most reviled reboot/make-over in the last two decades. Invokes a company event series that in retrospect was pretty fucking bad for the most part.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #348 on: January 20, 2015, 10:16:17 PM

I'd be fine with it if I had any hope that they'd just have fun with the Battleworld stuff before they get to whatever new status quo they're going for. All their events since Disassembled though have taken themselves way too seriously. As far as reboots and continuity go, I can't really be bothered to care much about any of it. Good writers are generally going to tell good stories and shit writers are going to tell shit stories.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: January 21, 2015, 01:43:36 AM

I'm keeping up to date with All-New X-men, Uncanny X-men and Guardians of the Galaxy (yup, all Bendis), so as far as I'm concerned the Black Vortex event could be interesting  
...but Secret Wars just confuses the ever-living fuck out of me and I shall avoid pretty much everything until my flatmate inevitably picks up whatever ludicrous omnibus edition they put out for it. And then I still won't understand anything.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Useless comics news, discussions, and recommendations  
Jump to: