Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Human  (Read 41117 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 12, 2014, 10:10:34 AM

I like that they're not afraid to blow someone's head off or turn them into orange goo in this show.  It seems family-oriented, but it's not. (thankfully)

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:49 AM

It did seem a little silly that Dorian would start going haywire at 50% charge, specially since it cost him the last 15% just to climb the building.

I am the .00000001428%
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 12, 2014, 03:18:15 PM

the techno magic explanation was that certain non-essential systems shut down first
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

Right, still if systems have to start shutting down the charge should be at critical level not half.

I am the .00000001428%
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:15 PM

He changed his power setting from performance to power saver early on when the solar flare started, hence the early shut down of non-essential systems.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: January 12, 2014, 06:30:50 PM

He changed his power setting from performance to power saver early on when the solar flare started, hence the early shut down of non-essential systems.
The explanation, even as you present it, was awkward and fairly nonsensical.  'Running on low power makes you crazy' is disappointing.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 12, 2014, 07:50:10 PM

I thought it was fun, especially the 'humans off!' line.  Its also an interesting little point that the systems designers put a low priority on his 'emotions' and adds to the side theme in the show asking if AI should be given emotions and their value.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:30 PM

I thought it was another well done epi. with that particular "mechanic."  Also, it showcased Ealy's abilities, which have been historically pretty darn good.  If he keeps this up he'll get a few whispers for an Emmy and/or a few b-list awards.  Would end up as another Brent Spiner situation though.  Androids dont get awards.   awesome, for real

Also, ratings seem to have stabilized now that MNF is done with.  Hopefully it'll see a bump.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 15, 2014, 06:07:03 PM

That anger management meeting was fucking hilarious.  The episode seemed out of order though.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:29 PM

I loved this episode. I didn't dislike the last one, but this was far better. I didn't think it was out of order, and I liked how a lot of the interactions were handled. They have a god handled on seeming like they're going to do the expected thing but then veer just at the last minute.

Which is why last week's stands out for me, because it mostly did all the expected things.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #115 on: January 15, 2014, 09:00:08 PM

That anger management meeting was fucking hilarious.  The episode seemed out of order though.
It was out of order. It was the 2nd episode filmed.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #116 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:05 PM

The order has been 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 2, and next is apparently 9, which means that we still have 4 to get dropped in grossly out of place.  It's been hardest on the attempt to show the evolution of the relationship between the leads, as that has been the intended arc (and is now hopelessly scrambled).  If the episodes didn't do such a good job of standing alone, whatever executive is trying to pull a Firefly on this would already have succeeded.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:11 AM

Last nights episode was the first time i had a problem with the episodes being out of order, that was clearly meant to be the second episode shown.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 16, 2014, 06:32:33 PM

The order has been 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 2, and next is apparently 9, which means that we still have 4 to get dropped in grossly out of place.  It's been hardest on the attempt to show the evolution of the relationship between the leads, as that has been the intended arc (and is now hopelessly scrambled).  If the episodes didn't do such a good job of standing alone, whatever executive is trying to pull a Firefly on this would already have succeeded.

--Dave

Shit, that fourth wall stuff again, I really try not to know this stuff smiley I was all fine with them dredging up an "old" enemy last night, not realizing until now that it was actually just episode #2. I agree though this really highlights how well the episodes stand alone. And fuck that executive trying to torpedo it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #119 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:30 AM

Last nights episode was the first time i had a problem with the episodes being out of order, that was clearly meant to be the second episode shown.

Yeah, there was some jarring shit in there. I also thought it was the weakest episode of the bunch. Magic bullet? Really? Why would you pay for that when you can hire a disposable hitman for less? And the episodes being out of order really fucked it all up because there were so many character interactions that had already gotten beyond that point.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #120 on: February 04, 2014, 07:10:31 PM

Anybody else still with this?  It went from generic buddy-cop in the future to cyberpunk in a rather lurching turn last night.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:54 PM

What the hell is "the Wall?"  Has that been mentioned before or is someone fucking with the episode order again?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

Yah, the dystopia finally showed up.  Doubtful it'll last, but definitely was one of the better epis.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #123 on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:31 PM

Gina Carano as a psycho android? Fuck yes. This is what I signed up for. And the wall is new to me too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 04, 2014, 09:36:31 PM

I guess technically that was the last epi?  Only one left is 4.
edit: check that, there are four more epis but I'm not sure the order.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:39:00 PM by Ghambit »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:38 AM

I like the show. Not so much on the execution. I have never seen a new show actually go out of order in presentation. What the ever-living-fuck were they thinking? These shows really rely on continuity and pacing for development of the characters and story. That magic bullet episode placement was really jarring. That said, if you go back and watch in proper order, it 'feels' right. I like the show, I like the concept, but I am fearful it will get cancelled because of the execution.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 05, 2014, 07:08:07 AM

How come those DRM bots die so easily ?? You'd think they would slap some heavy armour on them at least for assault missions. That superdroid was mowing them down with a normal looking rifle, and meanwhile tons of bullets were just bouncing off her and she had a scavenged retail hookerbot body not even military grade or anything.
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:37 AM

New hotness > old and busted.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:58 AM

How come those DRM bots die so easily ?? You'd think they would slap some heavy armour on them at least for assault missions. That superdroid was mowing them down with a normal looking rifle, and meanwhile tons of bullets were just bouncing off her and she had a scavenged retail hookerbot body not even military grade or anything.

She was wearing body armor and everyone was aiming for center of mass. Also your confusing DRM (its DRN) with MX. Granted the XRN (superdriod) is probably the reason why future robots used for civilian purposes are on the "easily disposed" side of things.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #129 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:41 AM

I like the show. Not so much on the execution. I have never seen a new show actually go out of order in presentation. What the ever-living-fuck were they thinking? These shows really rely on continuity and pacing for development of the characters and story.
This happens all the time on the broadcast networks:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OutOfOrder

Around here Fox gets singled out because of the way they brutally butchered the episode sequence of Firefly, among other shows, but all the broadcast networks do it.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:43 AM

She was wearing body armor and everyone was aiming for center of mass. Also your confusing DRM (its DRN) with MX. Granted the XRN (superdriod) is probably the reason why future robots used for civilian purposes are on the "easily disposed" side of things.

Yeah I meant MX. I guess the easily disposable answer makes sense incase of haywire, otherwise them not having armour is pretty dumb (I guess they are cheap to replace?). Still you'd think the XRN superdroid being so dangerous would be better at combat than just sitting around in open soaking bullets and shooting back.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 05, 2014, 11:10:37 AM

I think its primarily because her AI makes her more blood thirsty while the MX doesn't have much of an AI to begin with. I think the future is rather self conscious about the potentional for an SkyNet style uprising. The DRN has plenty of horror points. They can run down and flip over moving vehicles. Superior reflexes, smarter, and overall better deductive skills than any of the human cast.... even if the DRN's never did malfunction they were kinda over kill at best and walking time bombs at worse. And we haven't even gotten to the main point of glaring flaw with all these cop-droids.... There connected to the internet. The internet. In a future where science has outpaced people's ability to monitor or effectively regulate it. We've seen the freaky friday of hardware capabilities, lets not even guess how many .hack macros that can be built and easily uploading into your local friendly neighborhood robot with a assault rifle.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:53 AM

I like the show. Not so much on the execution. I have never seen a new show actually go out of order in presentation. What the ever-living-fuck were they thinking? These shows really rely on continuity and pacing for development of the characters and story.
This happens all the time on the broadcast networks:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OutOfOrder

Around here Fox gets singled out because of the way they brutally butchered the episode sequence of Firefly, among other shows, but all the broadcast networks do it.

I did not know about Father Ted.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 07, 2014, 08:14:35 PM

Yea, this felt like it was intended to be an earlier episode, and was one of the most obvious ones to be out of sequence to me. The Wall is an establishing principal that is now occuring too far into the season. It should have been something which said "this world is different" right away. Instead, the season to date has been pretty much LA with holograms. This was capped by Dorian's question to Kennex at the end "still anti synthetic?". That's not something said after the first "aha!" moment in that pre-buddy phase of  a buddy cop show where they still hate each other. Or, in short, this episode was that moment in Lethal Weapon 1 when Riggs shot the guy into the pool cover to save Murtaugh's life.

But still, even with the out of order thing, I love this show, and even putting aside my own preference, it feels like it has a strong enough premise for a large enough audience to stick around.

Any idea on it getting renewed?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 07, 2014, 08:23:54 PM

This episode reminded me of how much I miss the Sarah Connor Chronicles.  Now that was a good show.

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 08, 2014, 04:27:44 AM

Amen!  

As for The Wall, I'm 99% certain its never been mentioned before. Not that it matters.  No new episodes have been ordered past its first 13 and Bones is taking its timeslot soon.

Edit:  Added content
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:32:36 AM by Tannhauser »
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 08, 2014, 04:49:16 AM

Is the wall something to keep the people in or out? In one of the earlier episodes they were in the woods etc so it really can't be about walling off the city from the countryside.
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 08, 2014, 04:51:33 AM

I was thinking something more akin to the Berlin Wall. Divides off a part of the city from the prosperous part.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:04 AM

No new episodes have been ordered past its first 13 and Bones is taking its timeslot soon.

Shit.

I was thinking something more akin to the Berlin Wall. Divides off a part of the city from the prosperous part.

I dunno. There was enough fear expressed about the other side that I got more of a Megacity 1 or Elysium vibe from it.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:06 AM

Yeah, all the cops so far have been portrayed as morally upright persons, so it seems unlikely they are behind a soviet style oppression. Probably more that it's all mad max out there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human  
Jump to: