Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Human  (Read 41113 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 12:32:18 PM

And I again remind you to return to the first season of Fringe.  Most episodes were monster of the week stories with a little arc mixed into it.

Let us just agree that yes, they were "monster of the week"... but at the same time there were clear "elephants" in the room during each episode (many times being simple cliffhangers at the end) that would never get solved unless you committed to the entire series.  And said monsters quite obviously had meaning beyond the episode itself.  More like Lost meets X-Files, only not as good as either.  And, aside from Walter, completely uninteresting characters with little to know synergy.

To be clearer, AH is starting better then Fringe did regardless.   Ohhhhh, I see.     And there is closure at each episode with only a smattering of interference from some obscure overarching theme.  You wont like the show if you're one of those people who love to say "I wanna know what happens!"  and then proceed to organize bourgeois "watch parties" at some hipster wine-bar.

They'll screw it up though, assuming it even survives.  It'll definitely fail if they make it a serialized show w/o fully exploring the world first.  I'm not getting suckered into fanbois-dom after only 3 epis anyways.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:26 AM

Apparently this is "on the bubble" because of shitty rating.  God damnit.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:35 AM

Ratings are hardly shitty, though it did do worse than A Charlie Brown Christmas last night awesome, for real

Now Sleepy Hollow, on the other hand, does have really shitty ratings.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 09:00:42 PM

That's as good as it'll do against MNF + The Voice.  Hey, at least it's not on at the Firefly slot of doom.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 04, 2013, 05:57:51 PM

Just finished the 4th episode. Shit this show is good. I mean, it feels like it's the second or third season, for how "mature" each role feels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings weren't stellar though. Not because of any efette "masses/Fox-viewers are stupid" reasons though. It's got just enough of a nerd twist that requires years of buildup in other pop culture forms before it becomes something the primetime viewer likes. I feel like it'd have needed to go through that fringe to edgey to cool to interesting to mass acceptable cycle like the last 15 year evolution of zombies or emo vampires smiley

I love the show. I'll be sad but not surprised if it gets nixed, and worried that even if another network picks up the pieces, they won't get the attention to detail the budget has afforded them so far.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 07, 2013, 12:42:11 AM

I quite enjoy this show but I suspect we'll get, at best, 2-3 seasons out of it. If that. I've already read that Fox is showing the episodes out of order (sound familiar to anyone?)

My guess: Season 2 is 13 episodes long and is moved to Fridays. There is no Season 3.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 07, 2013, 07:44:40 AM

I quite enjoy this show but I suspect we'll get, at best, 2-3 seasons out of it. If that. I've already read that Fox is showing the episodes out of order (sound familiar to anyone?)
Fox is a different beast than it was a decade ago.  Pretty much every decision maker has been replaced.  The past and the present are going to be unrelated.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 07, 2013, 08:52:05 AM

I'm also curious about the out-of-order comment. Is that true? Because it feels like it isn't so far. The sequencing has worked. Each episode is kind of a standalone though, so maybe that gives them more flexibility (another leason learned).

And wasn't the very first Firefly produced not actually the first episode aired? Almost Human's pilot two-parter was definitely first and aired first.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:27 AM

Seeing as how they can introduce a major antagonist and by the end of the show kill his ass, it kinda doesn't matter what order they go in.  My only "gossip" gripe in reading about production is that they lost the co-creator whatshisface in September (the guy that used to write for Trek [the good epis] and CSI).  Dude had a physics/engineering PhD from Cornell and was well regarded.

It is now strictly Wyman's baby, which means look for more "dumbing down" and hand-waviness... assuming the show survives, which at this point I doubt it will.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #79 on: December 07, 2013, 10:39:48 AM

The episode production codes imply that things are slightly out of order. It's been Pilot (at least FOX managed to get that right), 5, 6, 7, next new episode is 8, and then it jumps back to 3. We'll have to wait and see if there's any noticeable change in the story at that point. Maybe 3 continues the ambush storyline and FOX wanted to have that as a mini-cliffhanger before the Winter break.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:16 AM

That was so fake... Americans watching soccer? This is unbelievable even for sci-fi.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Another good epi. though.  Really like the thing growin' between Dorian and psychic-girl; not to mention they decided to add some mysticism in the first place.  Hopefully they run with it a tad...  good Cpunk has to have Intuitives, so maybe bring her in as a pinch hitter when there's a tough case.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 07:59:13 PM

Seriously, what other show can actually make continuous dick jokes that are actually funny?

I am the .00000001428%
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 11, 2013, 06:22:36 AM

Is that all for one person??
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:24 PM

This show is so good. I like how they are adding psychics. I'm willing to be that if the show lasts long enough, Urban's character is going to get fucked up and we might so a bit of Robocop coming into play. Or maybe some other crazy tech shit.

While Dorian's character trends to be more and more human.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #85 on: December 13, 2013, 10:41:54 AM

More human than human?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58:16 PM

I liked the first episode, still have to watch the second one. Yeah, I too fear that everything might get too predictable and full of stereotypes, we'l see. Oh, and I really liked some of the background ambient tunes, they often often had a nice Deus Ex vibe  Heart

The music is The Crystal Method.  New album dropping next month!  I've been enjoying this show and definitely love the music.

most often known as Drevik
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:37 AM

God last nights episode had some pretty hilarious moments with the other dorian model. I really hope this show lasts a few years it is both enjoyable and at times hilarious.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 07:53:44 AM

They've managed to keep sci-fi in the episodes' plots so far (and not turning it into just another cop show). Hopefully they can keep it up for a long time to come  awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 08:09:12 AM

My favorite part of that episode was toward the end. There was an aerial view of the city with a Vangellis-esque sting and then a quick cut to a guy walking with an umbrella with a light in the handle. This show knows where to take its cues.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 17, 2013, 08:57:09 AM

It needs to go a bit more hardcore though.  They still cover up a lot of the tech.   Granted, this is the chardev phase but by the end of the season it should be more like watching Ghost in the Shell  (I hope). 

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 17, 2013, 06:08:06 PM

Only thing that could've made that episode better would be if they called it "Thanks Obama".  Also, bitcoins? lol.

I am the .00000001428%
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:45 PM

Yah, I just watched it (DVR).  Was really goddamned good (I honestly expected a falloff midseason); though an obvious ripoff of "In Time."  It's almost like this show doesn't really kickass per se, but it's just such a "watchable" show.  You sit down, relax, and have a good story told with a hopeful ending.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:20 PM

It's almost like this show doesn't really kickass per se, but it's just such a "watchable" show.  You sit down, relax, and have a good story told with a hopeful ending.
I think we can all agree that there isn't nearly enough shows of this quality.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:21 PM

The show is rather smart and interesting and deserved all the marketing that went into it. Fox will cancel this though. It'll last at least 2 seasons.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 18, 2013, 02:47:30 AM

Yah, I just watched it (DVR).  Was really goddamned good (I honestly expected a falloff midseason); though an obvious ripoff of "In Time."  It's almost like this show doesn't really kickass per se, but it's just such a "watchable" show.  You sit down, relax, and have a good story told with a hopeful ending.

Well said, that's how I feel. 
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #96 on: December 26, 2013, 08:51:32 PM

My favorite part of that episode was toward the end. There was an aerial view of the city with a Vangellis-esque sting and then a quick cut to a guy walking with an umbrella with a light in the handle. This show knows where to take its cues.

I am guessing that wardrobe sourced it from Thinkgeek.com. I got one for free with loyalty points. I now go out in the rain at night just to use it.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:16 AM

ticking bomb plotlines are such lazy writing... they should be ashamed to serve up these half ass attempts especially after such masterful implementations of the premise like 24.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 07, 2014, 11:16:39 AM

ticking bomb plotlines are such lazy writing... they should be ashamed to serve up these half ass attempts especially after such masterful implementations of the premise like 24.

Ohhhhh, I see.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 07, 2014, 12:26:32 PM

The ticking bomb wasn't the real plot line. Instead it was about an artificial intelligence deciding to endanger itself for humans, and a man growing ever more respectful of his artificial partner. As well as the general growth of human acceptance of things outside their parameters of understanding and identification. There might have even been a hint of forgiveness morals in there too.

Or I could be wrong and it was just lazy writing.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:29 PM

Meh, it felt phoned in.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 10, 2014, 02:24:21 PM

The ticking bomb wasn't the real plot line. Instead it was about an artificial intelligence deciding to endanger itself for humans, and a man growing ever more respectful of his artificial partner. As well as the general growth of human acceptance of things outside their parameters of understanding and identification.

Kinda agree with part of that, but I don't think it was Kennex growing more respectful as much as it was Detective Paul. I don't go for arbitrary timers, but at least they had a bunch of different ones running at the same time. I also liked that DRN didn't save Kennex directly but instead Kennex did it himself concurrent to DRN taking down the guy.

But they have this wierd inconsistency about the tech they use in the show. I know they don't want go all tachyon emitters with a Fox show, but the same police force that can put up largely impenetrable force fields can sniper a guy less than 1000m away with an electromagnetic bullet?

And it would have been nice if they had at least mentioned DRN couldn't climb the stairs in the building because of cameras instead of saying "all approaches can be watched [between all these tall ass buildings] / go Donkey Kong on the building".
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 10, 2014, 06:52:29 PM

I was not pleased with the 'when low on juice he goes crazy' thing, but am still pleased with the general show - but I forgive a lot more of the tech inconsistency that many hard core people do not. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #103 on: January 10, 2014, 08:22:20 PM

They're not using technobabble to pull rabbits out of hats, if tech is relevant to a plot point they explain why well before the pivot (and the tech they use is not magic wands dressed up in nanobots).  I'll allow them a little Idiot Ball passing and handwaving in exchange.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #104 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:27 PM

The ticking bomb wasn't the real plot line. Instead it was about an artificial intelligence deciding to endanger itself for humans, and a man growing ever more respectful of his artificial partner. As well as the general growth of human acceptance of things outside their parameters of understanding and identification. There might have even been a hint of forgiveness morals in there too.

Or I could be wrong and it was just lazy writing.

Most of what you mentioned was on point, but if all you noticed was the ticking bomb, you're a moron.

There was the interplay between Kennex and Dorian and the bigger piece was the whole, "I'm an asshat on the interwebs, those cops need to die, lolz" bit. The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory writ large.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human  
Jump to: