Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Human  (Read 41120 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:14 PM

Official Trailer.

Police drama set 35 years in the future centers around the unlikely partnership between a part-machine cop and a part-human robot.

I'm in, looks decent plus Karl Urban.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:53:22 PM

Premieres on Fridays this Fall awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:16:01 PM

It'll be going up against Grimm I think.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:19:36 PM

Guessed wrong, it's on Mondays. Which will push Bones to Fridays, boo!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

That looks really good.  Shall we start the pool on how long before Fox starts shuffling it around?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:29:20 PM

Mondays are a rough slot too.  I predict that if it doesn't do well they'll move Bones back to Mondays and push this to Fridays.  Bones has a strong enough fanbase that it will do fine on Fridays.  Plus I think Bones is gonna end soonish, if not this next season the one after.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 12:01:24 PM

I am so there for the three weeks it will take Fox to completely fuck this show up with scheduling snafus.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:38:59 PM

That looks awesome.

Can't wait for it to be canceled.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:19:24 PM

Yes Please.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:29:23 PM

Yeah - I'm in. Trailer looked surprisingly good and I'm a bit of a Karl Urban fanboy.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:40:09 AM

Glad I checked to see if there was a thread, but here's a poster and a link to the trailer.

Looks promising. Still a bit too "clean" for my tastes. I like my future urban stuff a lot more gritty, but I really enjoy Urban in everything, so will give it a shot.

http://www.slashfilm.com/check-out-the-poster-for-j-j-abrams-new-show-almost-human/

beer geek.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:41:20 PM

This show is pretty good.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

Fuck, FOX changed the premiere date so many times I forgot to record this. Oh well.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 08:34:09 PM

First episode seemed good, it's got a really great angle. I am cautious though because I'm worried this could lose itself in the technobabble.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:05 AM

First episode was ok if you ignored every single cop and sci fi show cliche they managed to fit in there.  The second episode was an improvement though.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 07:28:59 AM

My only problem with the first episode was that
but on the whole I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to watching the second ep later.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:26 AM

The first episode wasn't terrible but I thought the second one was rubbish.  I waited throughout the entire episode for the sad human cop and his very sensitive robot's first kiss but it never happened.  I have to say, however, that when they looked so lovingly at each other  it made me a little misty-eyed.  I found the dialog and plot to be predictable and kind of boring.  The cop should have stayed angry or something, I think.  I was embarrassed for the lovey dovey robot.  However, I do like the cars.  When I saw the completely round one on the highway, I thought Number Six was going to pop out. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:17 AM

Watched the first episode and while I wasn't BLOWN AWAY ZOMG, it was a very solid episode especially for a pilot. The two main characters seem to have found their footing in their roles very early and the tech was well-done. The tech was also very understated which I love - the writers didn't feel the need to hit you over the head with technobabble explanations that will get lost on non-sci fi geeks quickly.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 10:13:32 AM

"You're scanning my balls?"

Ealy's got solid chemistry with most of the people he plays off of and Urban is Urban.

I like it so far.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:25 AM

I enjoyed the rerun on Sunday night, but I'm disappointed its on Mondays instead of Wednesdays when I have nothing to watch.  DVR it is!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:22 AM

Did not read the recent entries in this thread because I have not seen Monday's second episode, but it strikes me that the last season of Fringe looks like it was a test run for this show.  I liked Urban in the pilot, but they need to slow the show down a bit and develop the characters.  The thing that worked with Lost was that the entire 2 hour pilot was pretty much character development.  They need that in his shows.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

2nd episode had a lot of character development. The robot partner starts to make more sense.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 12:33:55 PM

Fuck, FOX changed the premiere date so many times I forgot to record this. Oh well.

Fortunately, I had set a blanket series recording as soon as it showed up in the guide, so I got both of the first two episodes.  It's good, so far, although I hope they do more with why the 'emotional' robots were discontinued.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:46 PM

Fortunately, I had set a blanket series recording as soon as it showed up in the guide, so I got both of the first two episodes.  It's good, so far, although I hope they do more with why the 'emotional' robots were discontinued.

--Dave

Given some of dorians responses I am guessing at some point the emotional ones realize humans treat robots ad disposable slaves and rebelled or just said fuck you I won't work for "the man" any more.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 01:09:51 PM

First episode was promising.  Second, not so much.  I can see it getting kind of old though in that it seems to be just a standard cop procedural with some "reverse the polarities" technobabble thrown in to move from scene to scene.  But if the cast has enough charisma I guess it could work.  No one except Dorian and Gareth from the Office has made an impression on me yet though.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:56 PM

I just saw the pilot and I must say I was impressed; especially with the acting.  Really, this show is just Cyberpunk2020 from the Cop's perspective; which would seem too niche at first glance, until you realize the possible directions they can go (assuming they channel neuromancer et. al).

It has a lot of potential, but it'll be predicated on the amount of world-building they're willing to do, e.g. not over-doing the cop-drama aspects.  That being said, the show ended with me wondering "exactly why the heck we don't already have a Cyberpunk TV series."

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:59 PM

I liked when he's going to that black market area for those memory treatments, it's chiba city right out of neuromancer.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:08 PM

I liked when he's going to that black market area for those memory treatments, it's chiba city right out of neuromancer.

The still shot was pretty much stolen from BladeRunner.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:44 AM

This is a good show so far. Which means it won't be long till FOX moves it to Fridays awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 02:53:52 AM

I'm enjoying it and my boss started with the second episode and didn't feel like he was missing anything.  Urban rocks and the tech is cool.  Don't fuck this up Fox!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 08:29:47 AM

I like the smart, yet hawt analyst girl in this show too - who for once isn't overbearingly 'perfect' and annoying.  Much like the show as a whole, most everything has flaws which adds character.

Haemish, having scriptwriting urges?  This is the show for you no?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:54 AM

I like the smart, yet hawt analyst girl in this show too - who for once isn't overbearingly 'perfect' and annoying.  Much like the show as a whole, most everything has flaws which adds character.

She has the prettiest smile ever.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:29 AM

Do you mean the one who was really inappropriately dressed for being a police officer?  The one that the main dude who's name I can't remember offhand apparently likes?  Also, why is the stereotypically socially inept science geek kept in what looks like a dungeon?

Over and out.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:56 AM

She has the prettiest smile ever.
That's Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 09:28:32 AM

Also, why is the stereotypically socially inept science geek kept in what looks like a dungeon?
Cause he likes to be left alone?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human  
Jump to: