Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Torchfatal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Torchfatal  (Read 107041 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #140 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:03 PM

Well thankfully Domas and the turkey survived!

Haha, well done man, enjoyed this thread very much.  Had the suicide mission song from ME2 running through my head the entire time I read this last post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #141 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:58 PM

How the hell did I get promoted to militia commander?  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #142 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:27 PM

Well thankfully Domas and the turkey survived!

Haha, well done man, enjoyed this thread very much.  Had the suicide mission song from ME2 running through my head the entire time I read this last post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw
Perfect music selection! Unlike ME2 everyone died, but it just wouldn't of been a dwarf fortress game without it! I also have no idea why the turkey thought hell would be a good place to go, get out of here turkey!
How the hell did I get promoted to militia commander?  awesome, for real
Well, *someone* had to take lazy Slayerik's position  why so serious?

It seems the dwarf fortress programming wins again (we all know what the rest would have been: everyone dying slow horrible deaths)! I'm sure this has something to do with all the fiddling I did with DFHack with the permanent reveal and all other crap, so I am partly to blame here. Thank you all for reading this playthrough, all your comments made it a very enjoyable experience, and at least I eventually got to finish it. However I would like to do a succession game in the same world (however I'd like to not go first... second would be fine =P). So if anyone is interested post here or send me a PM, I'll dropbox or Skydrive or whatever the save and pass it along. Even if it's only me or three people going back and forward it'll be a fun game. This would also be the perfect opportunity for people who haven't played df before but enjoyed this thread to learn, since the hardest part is getting a fortress set up, getting one a few years old already makes the journey a whole lot easier (we might not choose such a hard location as I did, but where would the fun be in that?!). Also seeing the fortress explode because of a nooby decision would be very, very !!fun!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 09, 2013, 06:43:39 AM

Deep underground, a gauntlet covered hand reaches down to pick up a blood-soaked tomb from the hands of a charred skeleton. Dusting off the cover, she finds it to be labeled "The Diary of Paelos".

Many dates are simply small entries, detailing daily life in the fortress of Torchfatal. Her marriage to someone called "rk47",  the birth of her two children, and the death of her grandparents due to magma related accidents. Flicking through to the final pages however, a more frantic and scribbled script appears, with blood specks appearing more and more frequently the further in the diary she reads.

Diary, I fear this may be my last entry... We heard a deafening scream come from the bottom levels of the fortress, even the militia training above ground heard it echoing from the staircase. I see wildfire running up the central staircase from the lower floors as fast as she can, with almost what seemed like every dwarf in the fortress. I stopped Rendakor as she was spiraling up, "Sis, what is happening, what was that scream? Did a forgotten beast climb up the lower levels again?!"

"We've... we've done it now... You know those adamantine veins? Turns out they were such a good metal for a reason... they we're holding demons!"

"D-demons? What are you talking about?

"Look, there's no time, everyone's going to the armory, get your equipment and meet us at the breach north-west of the magma smelters."

Scrambling to get my equipment in order, I remembered an old tale from my childhood, that Otung the Crazed Tusk's tusks were in fact made of adamantine, and that to defeat an ancient evil he broke off his tusks and jammed them into the side of the world, stopping them from entering the world once and for all. Surely they were just myths though...

How wrong I was. Hurrying back down I saw that the stonemasons were frantically building a stairway down a large chasm in the middle of an adamantine spire. When it was completed, Hutch held up his adamantine axe high and said "This is our mistake... but we will fix it, there is nothing more resolute then the will of the dwarves! Otung gave us this vampiric blessing so that we may fight our enemies and save our kin, let us not disappoint him! This may be a suicide mission... but we must protect this infinite dimension, for Kebondomas, for the King!

Hurrying down the staircase, we were met with horrors beyond imagining. Demons of every shape and size roamed the empty, blasted wasteland, with huge glowing pits reminiscent of a gigantic sea broiling with the souls of the dammed. It wasn't long until the first one hit, a monstrosity easily 800 feet tall, a weird creature made of snow. It almost looked like a mix between a turtle, a lizard and a bird. Before I had time to finish the thought, it swooped down and bit Dewdrops entire lower body off. After that, it was all a blur. I remember fragments, my beloved getting smashed against a wall by a giant spider, my sister having her head bitten off by a giant feathered worm, and the strongest dwarf I know wildfire melting in a giant pool of a parrots demon blood.

I hear further screams, however not from the demons, but of dying dwarves and suffocating war dogs. Hundreds of dwarves dead, however only a handful of demonic corpses, they were stronger then we could have ever imagined. This is not how it's supposed to end, I remember thinking to myself, we're is our happy ending? Why is this happening to us?! I found my legs having a life of their own, and running back up the staircase, leaving my allies to their fate... I am now huddled behind the workshops of the lower levels, it's been a few days now. Giant six legged mites are roaming the hallways, tears of smoking hot magma pouring out of their dozens of eyes and continually wailing with a chilling howl. How long can I survive, it's hard to say, however I will try to leave this diary on the higher levels of the fortress, it's adamantine bindings should prevent it from being destroyed from any demonic attack, I just hope our plight was not for naught... If anyone is reading this, help us! Defeat these demons that we have unleashed in our hubris, and bring peace back into the world with the equipment of the gods...

A high pitched laughter comes from the reader, her toothy grin wide across her green skin. She pulls her pink hair back behind her large, pointed ears, and throws the book back at the charred skeleton. "Foolish dwarves, always getting into places were they don't belong... at least they are excellent craftsmen, I have to give them that." She examines the adamantine equipment she salvaged from the deserted storerooms: a set of full plate, a shield and the most impressive axe she has ever seen, "Hmm... I've never used an axe before, but not using a weapon of this quality would be a folly on the scale of this place, I guess I'll just have to practice on their makers!"

Leaving the fortress, she can hear the muffled screams echoing from the entrance "The demons don't seem to be leaving this place... perhaps they are bound by more then simply the adamantine..." Seeing the corpses of the goblins left outside the fortress, she feels no remorse for the former occupants. "Those blasted dwarves... Those stupid elves... and those meddling humans... I'll destroy them all!!"

She recalls her journey here, leaving her dark fortress home due to the frustrating lack of care by the Curse of Legends with the fact that the nomadic goblins have not yet assimilated to our cause and that other sentient beings populate the land, she decided to make a difference on her own. She met many challenges on the way here, all of which confirmed the need for only goblins to exist: An incredibly stupid snakeman who thought he was the scourge of the planet (what a joke) A group of nomadic goblins who thought they could jump the likes of me, and a pack of dingopeople, twisted illusions of what goblinkind should be. This fortress however just confirmed what I already knew: other races are dangerous not only to us, but to themselves. It's really my obligation as a being of more intelligence to put an end to their miserable lives and usher in a new age of the goblins...

So, while I wait for you slackers to get organized, I thought it'd be fun to try out a little bit of adventure mode. I wasn't initially going to post playing this since I wasn't planning to play for long (which is why I wrote above) but I think I will chronicle a little bit of the adventures this character will have. Started as a Goblin in the Curse of Legends, and a perfect example of why random names are always the best. I think I got the title after killing all the dingopeople? Anyway, abused the hell out of the character generator, min-maxed something chronic. However the wiki said you can raise mental stats with knapping? Well I'm legendary now, and my mental stats are still Very Low, so either the wiki is a liar or something is weird with this save even in a new game. Wrestled kangaroos until legendary, and have points in spear because I thought I would use the artifact spear, however I couldn't find it where I left it (unlike the other pieces of equipment). Looking online afterward it seems like artifacts are bugged atm in adventure mode, and seem to only show up if you never take them out of the workshop and even then if you drop them they permanently disappear... Slightly disappointing, but what can you do. How long will I survive?! Find out next time!
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 10, 2013, 04:25:21 AM

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 10, 2013, 09:30:48 AM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #146 on: October 10, 2013, 11:33:03 AM

I'm surprised how many times you can be surprised by the ferocity of someone's onslaught!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #147 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:32 PM

It's shocking really.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:03 PM

So are people interested in a torchfatal/boatmurdered fail digging party?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:43 AM

I'm surprised how many times you can be surprised by the ferocity of someone's onslaught!
It's because my mental stats are so low, she's like a goldfish.
So are people interested in a torchfatal/boatmurdered fail digging party?
I know a few other people interested in this, and I think once we get the ball rolling others will jump in. If you want, I can pass you the save and you can start us off? Then if no-ones put their hand up I'll go next, etc.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: October 11, 2013, 07:13:24 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #151 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:45 AM

Cackle beasts? Oh noes!

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:23 PM

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: October 25, 2013, 05:39:57 PM

Has it really been half a month since I posted here? Ugh how the time flies when busy, blame pokemon.

So going to (try) to start the succession game next week with some other peeps, if anyone here has interest I'll put your name in the list of turns. Going to wrap up the adventure mode, was writing up another suicide mission type of update in the human cities until she just wouldn't die, will do a final update and at this point probably retirement for the end of her play-through.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 08, 2013, 02:50:06 AM

So started the succession game, however we chose such a !!fun!! location it all went to shit pretty much instantly. Toady is hinting the release for the new version is going to be either the end of this month or early next (so probably next year lol). Going to wait until then I think, just because the new version will greatly help with multiple succession games in the same world as world gen will persist after the game has started. Also sites other then humans will actually exist (remember how I couldn't find any dwarf or elf cities? It's because they don't exist until the next release).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #155 on: November 08, 2013, 06:06:08 AM

I look forward to another world going to hell in a handbasket across the generations.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:43 PM

Quote from: Nopenope from Bay12forums

Assuming he doesn't release the day after tomorrow, this will be the longest waiting time for a release, ever. In my opinion it's a bit inflated when you consider Fort Mode (the mode nearly everyone plays) is hardly changed. Adventure mode is going to be extremely awesome, however, and will possibly become the "main" mode for DF.
So still waiting for new release, but it has to be soon, right, right?!  why so serious?

Living worlds will make the long wait worth it.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: January 02, 2014, 05:16:45 PM

I think it's widely accepted at this point (except by crazies) that the worst thing to happen to dwarf fortress is the man who created it.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I still really oh so badly want to see somebody create this exact same game competently, and send videos to toady of them 'making it rain' with dollar bills over cheap strippers with the company logo in the background.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: January 03, 2014, 03:22:24 AM

There have been a few attempts at a dwarf fortress type game, but they have always fallen short.

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 03, 2014, 06:21:03 AM

I know, which is what makes it even more fustrating.

-Stephen Colbert
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:21 AM

Have no fear, I am 100% blatant fanboy and think every decision Toady makes is like God himself kissed his frontal lobe. I will play this game and radicalthon so you don't have to.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:37 PM

I always thought more civilization/world-level stuff would be interesting, though maybe not terribly impactful to the actual game.

Pagz, where is your avatar from? It makes me smile every time.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:19 AM

In Fortress mode I don't think any of what he's updating at the moment will make any difference except for the ability to retire forts instead of abandoning them, Adventure Mode however will now be playable. That's not to say this update is wasted, it lays the foundation of pretty much every update to follow until release (which is probably why it's setting him back way longer then he was expecting).

The biggest change is probably the move/attack split. In previous versions you either attacked or you moved on your "turn", now actions take a certain amount of turns to complete. Again for Fortress Mode this probably won't make too much difference except for naturally fast animals won't immediately murder every dwarf in sight, however Adventure Mode will be very, very !!fun!!.

I've been excited for this update since I started this radicalthon in May (it's been 8 months? Yikes), so expect many, many forum member deaths in its release. Since successive forts will actually make an in world difference, I'll try and generate a world that is just ridiculous. I just really, really hope he fixes artifacts.

My avatar is from here.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 16, 2014, 03:28:06 PM

What's wrong with with artifacts?

Also do tell when you want to start up a succession game. I will definitely be up for doing my part to make the F13 Dwarven kingdom the greatest there ever was.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: January 17, 2014, 02:44:54 AM

They're kinda bound to site, so they either don't show up in adventure mode or they infinity replicate in your hand when you remove them from the site, something like that. Makes for amazing throwers though.

I'll probably want to do a succession game when I finish my own. Interested to see if there's any effect on the world if there is a demon infested fortress *spoilers*.

My avatar and grief title together make too mush sense.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 03, 2014, 01:27:06 PM

Quote from: Threetoe
It's almost here! After over two years in the making, we plan to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of July.
Gird your loins.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #166 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:58 PM

Snap. Hot vampire action.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:00 AM

Quote from: Toady One
We continue to be on track.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #168 on: June 18, 2014, 11:20:09 AM

I'm excited as well. I would never play the game in a million years, but I do enjoy some radicalthons of it.

Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 21, 2014, 05:10:42 PM

Quote from: Toady One
The truck? It trucks. I think we have 35 issues/checks left, starting from 122 or something this month.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 01, 2014, 04:42:11 AM

So, from what I gather, he's finally releasing a new version of DF after 2 years?  I'm far to lazy to go look (and even viewing his web page hurts my eyes).  Can you post a summary of whats going to be added?

-Stephen Colbert
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:08 AM

The problem with that is he hasn't released any sort of patch notes yet and the only reason I know what's going on at all is because I've been following it. He should when the update hits in the next week or so, but the main things I remember are:

Persistent worlds: More noticeable in adventure mode and multiple dwarf fortress games, world generation continues after game start. Populations can replenish and your actions can have long lasting effects in the world, and creating things out of nowhere during play has been reduced to almost nothing.

Combat/Movement split: Your "turn" would be to either attack or move when you had an action, the faster you moved the more attacks you had. Now moving and attacking have their own "cooldown", different attack and movement actions will take a certain amount of game ticks. High combat awareness will let you see how far into an action other creatures are, etc.

Multi-tile constructions: I think for the moment it's only trees, but the groundwork is there for more complicated things (multi-tile creatures etc).

Retiring fortresses: Now instead of abandonment or failure being the only options, you can now retire fortresses and the IA will take over (in the loosest sense) and you can do other things (including coming back and playing that fortress at a later date). This opens up a lot of fun options like being able to retire adventurers in old forts and using them in fort mode, or creating a chain of fortresses along a mountain, etc.

Non-lethal fights: Lot's of little things have been added to combat like this. Different kinds of attacks (quick, reckless, etc) have also been added.
Ability to climb and jump: Helps dwarves not get so helplessly stuck and will be invaluable to adventurers. Might also make invasions more interesting...

Lying: ho ho ho!

Bestiary: "Being able to look at a list of all known creatures you've seen and where" is supposedly in although I haven't seen him talk about it other than the dev page, would be fun to look at all the randomly genned creatures in one place.

Armies moving around the map: Tying into the Persistent worlds, every creature is now pulled from the limited world populations pool. Creatures (and dwarves) that come to your fort will all be from this pool, so if you're the only ones, no migrants or invasions. Only the seven dwarves you start with will ever be randomly genned (however even they will be from the world populations at a later date)

Every race has sites: If you read my short adventure mode, it came to a halt after realizing only humans actually have towns. Now the main races (humans, dwarves, elves, and goblins) all have sites (mainly towns and castles).

There are more, and I'm sure he will release patch notes when he releases the new version.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:01 PM

DF 40.01 Change log:

Off to work, but when I get back...

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

I don't know how to read that map at all! 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Torchfatal  
Jump to: