Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:03:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: [Steam, free] Warframe: mission based fps that is unique and damn fun. 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Steam, free] Warframe: mission based fps that is unique and damn fun.  (Read 375951 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

So yeah, Warframe doesn't have a thread but it should I'm here to fix that.

Why do you care?: Because Warframe is a very new school take on a very old school type of game. In it you pick a mission and then you go and kill AI in first person view with guns and swords and magic and shit. Its bizarre science fiction where ugly bad guys need killing, lots of killing. Basically it reminds me of when Quake was the only pc game that existed. Its also shiny, free and a quick no hassle way to find things to shoot for ding grats.

What's new about it? Swords, blocking, parkour (no seriously wall running and zip lines and jump kicks into sword spinning slashes and shit, you could make a point of just running missions super super fast avoiding most conflict and some do), stealth (you could also in theory avoid fights by using magic to  go invis or create decoys or just by crouching and avoiding direct los) and some rpg elements.

FAQ:
Will the cash shop ruin it for me?
-Not unless you are looking for reasons to hate games because you're old and hate new things. The cash shop is unobtrusive and completely unnecessary for advancement unless you need to min/max yesterday.

Which Warframe do I pick?
-The Excalibur is the straight forward powerhouse of the 3 starting frames. Pick that if you aren't very good at fps or want easymode, if its going to bother you that you aren't a special snowflake and your going to play in 4 person pubs mainly pick something else. If you only play multiplayer games and then only play those games solo Loki is for you. Decoy makes solo missions a matter of attrition that you can't really fail at. Volt is just the least amazing of the elemental suits but electricity is purple and cool.

Now what do I do?
-You clear missions and pick up modules which will unlock the map which you'll want later. As you do you'll level up your frame your rifle your pistol and your sword. Time for some rpg stuff.

I'm lost where do I go?
-Your operator chick gives you brief instructions and then you get a waypoint on your map. Its an orange diamond and it tells you which area to move into. If the diamond seems to be fucking with you that's because she wants you to move up or down a level usually. Also be on the lookout for hidden passages (vents and ducts and whatnot) and elevators or places you can drop down or wall run to. As long as you take your time, look around and follow the diamond you'll be able to finish the mission.

How do I do more damage?
-The mods you are picking up do things. More crit rate, rof, elemental damage, armor piercing etc. Each time an item levels (from making things dead with the item) you gain a point of mod capacity. The mods have different costs to equip. If you look closely all the info you need is visually displayed. You also need to level up the mods themselves to make them do what they do better. You do that through fusion which combines mods together to form a better version. At this time you can't combine crit rate with crit damage and get one that does both sadly you can only have a mod eat other mods to make it a more powerful rank of itself. Your mods level fastest when combined with the same mod or with special fusion mods. You can eat other shit but it won't do as much.

Magic?
-Yes each frame has 4 powers unique to it. To be able to activate the power(s) you need to equip the mod (which you get 1 of automatically) and then you'll be able to use the power in missions. You can also level up your abilities through the fusion system.

How do I get cool shit?
-Basically each planet has a boss. You'll get to Mercury's boss pretty quickly. All bosses have a % chance to drop blueprints. Blueprints are how you craft cool shit you can't buy in store for in-game cash. Mercury's boss drops a sword blueprint and the sword is easy to make and not really different from the starter sword. Not exciting but it teaches you the basics. Once you have a blueprint you go to the foundry and craft it using crafting materials you've been picking up while you kill things on missions. The real way you get ultra super cool rare shit is through alerts. These appear in certain sectors for limited times (30-60min usually) which is why you want to unlock all the missions so you can go on alerts because some of them reward cool shit you can't get elsewhere and rare shit that's very hard to find.

BiiF?
-Yes. Its actually really fun. Warframe is at its best when you play with people you know because pubs tend to have at least one guy who is very powerful for the mission level who pushes the pace to the point where you can't really enjoy anything about it. Solo can be fun too but its nice having more dakka on your side. Try it. Its not a big download and costs you nothing. It will grow on you if you enjoy the base gameplay because there are lots of systems to master and rpg plus shooting shit is a good recipe.

Feel free to ask questions here so this can be a real FAQ instead of a made up one.

http://warframe.wikia.com/ Is a good wiki that has most info you could need.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:37:02 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:49 AM

It really is fun.

Also, its made by these guys http://www.digitalextremes.com/ (Unreal tourny guys).

Plays real smooth and is fun.

Dont focus too much on grindy stuff and just enjoy the coop experience (you'll get clobbered solo).

The AI is pretty decent too.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:42 PM

You had me at co-op.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:15 PM

Played beta. Stopped playing right after a group I dropped into was just speedrunning past lagged-out NPCs in order to min/max to the top.

I might try it again if someone convinces me that the game's content has multiplied since then.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:07:53 PM

Played beta. Stopped playing right after a group I dropped into was just speedrunning past lagged-out NPCs in order to min/max to the top.

I might try it again if someone convinces me that the game's content has multiplied since then.

Never played beta.

Aren't douchbags skipping content to maximize rewards pretty much what random MP is in every rewards based MP game?
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:00:01 PM

I found warframe to have a horrible out of game UI and i found the game boring as heck.  Sure its smooth and the controls are pretty tight, but the environments feel copy/pasted and it doesn't really do a great job of pointing you through the missions (objectives etc).  Maybe I just don't understand the map.

the raid missions were the same as the extractions which were the same as the sabotage and 'murder the lot of them' missions.

*Should be working*
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:33:24 PM

Speed running is a big problem if you join a pure pug most of the time. Don't join pure pugs if that bothers you. Pretty sure I covered that. In fact in general you should avoid pugs until you are at least Warframe level 15 or so because your basically going to be a spectator trying to keep up since you don't have the damage or the stamina mods to contribute or keep up.

The out of game UI is perfectly functional, in a world where most pc games don't even have ui's that were made for mouse and kb its practically a godsend in my book so no idea why you would have trouble with it.

The environments are actually as random as Diablo 3's if not more random. But yes it does all feel very samey, either the rpg stuff and the tight controls hook you or they don't if they don't move on, nothing lost really. I think that I felt the game was pretty one note until I stopped running in full pug's because at that speed with someone who is way stronger than the mission it all feels the same because you're basically just keeping up as a newb.

Adding to my "faq" re the map but yeah its pretty fucking easy dude. Just follow the orange waypoint(s) to get to things the chick wants you to get to then do stuff there depending on the type of mission it is. The missions are all pretty similar in that the majority of what you do is kill shit and then kill more shit while going from a to b.

Speed running is very effective for clearing maps. The reason you need to clear missions is there is a fucking shitton of them and if you want to be able to respond to rare drop alerts you need every mission unlocked. But that kind of negates the second part, there are a lot of things to unlock and if you enjoy shooting things to unlock other things that make your ability to shoot things better.. I think you see where I'm going with this.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:38:14 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:31 PM

no seriously wall running
Dang, that reminded me how much I miss playing GunZ.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:00:37 PM

They are trying to get Gunz2 greenlit if you haven't voted for them already do it.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GunZ2

-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:14:04 PM

Ooh, thanks for that.

Edit: missed the voting by a day -- developer pissed they didn't get selected awesome, for real

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GunZ2#announcements/detail/1894036986326142048
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:14:34 PM by Trippy »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:13 PM

Just started playing this, but accidentally picked a shitty starting frame, Mag. Is it easy to unlock new ones, or should I just remake my account?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:15:40 PM

Is Mag a starting frame? Or do you mean Volt? I would just remake account it takes some time and effort to unlock new frames if you don't cash shop whichever one you want.

Btw Mag is super cool, the powers it gets just look awesome as hell and you get to be Magneto. I haven't played it but I'm always jealous when I see someone using it.

-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:16 PM

Volt is not a starting frame; my options were Excalibur, Mag, and Loki. I've got two accounts, one for Mag and one for Loki. Going to play around with both to get a feel for them and see which I like more.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:29 AM

I played this with a friend a bit and it's neat but damn does the over-the-shoulder camera annoy me. It's a purely personal tic but for some reason I just can't get over my need to have my character centered on the screen. Especially when I want to peer around a corner to my right.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:04 AM

Over-the-shoulder needs a L/R swap key.  Of course, that's a consolism that PC gamers might not have adopted yet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45:55 AM

Was playing last night and it is pretty fun.  Went with Mag which so far is nothing too special, but pull has come in handy a few times.  "Nice shield.  YOINK!"

For Frame mods, note that some slots have marks in the upper right corner, and the mod cards do, too.  If you match the marks then the mod slots it takes cost half.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:19 AM

I played this with a friend a bit and it's neat but damn does the over-the-shoulder camera annoy me. It's a purely personal tic but for some reason I just can't get over my need to have my character centered on the screen. Especially when I want to peer around a corner to my right.

It's enough to make me want to uninstall it.

Are all the missions just run through corridors and shoot? Id love a good desperate defence mission or something different.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 07:34:06 AM

Over-the-shoulder needs a L/R swap key.  Of course, that's a consolism that PC gamers might not have adopted yet.

I think H swaps from right to left.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:08 AM

Is there a first person option? Or the ability to change keybindings?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:53 PM

I think H swaps from right to left.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:04 PM

Is it possible to trade?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 04:47:52 PM

Is it possible to trade?

Not that I could see.

I'm not gonna lie - its a wee bit grindy.

But the coop gameplay keeps me coming back for more.  Its actually challenging later on too.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:24 PM

It seems really grindy to me; all of the new weapons and frames either cost a ton of in game money, or real money.

How do you slide? I found a list of keybindings here but it's not listed; I didn't even know you could slide until I got an objective to kill 4 guys while sliding.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:57 PM

If you're sprinting (holding down shift) and push ctrl you slide.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:14 PM

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1237678

This is a better OP then my OP. Read it.

Anything that isn't fun is grindy, but Warframe is not bad and its certainly no MMO in terms of grind. You shouldn't be purchasing most items instead you want to use alerts and blueprint drops to make them. Also the jumps in power level mainly come from mods not new items which instead are just opportunities to change your playstyle. There isn't a reason to "grind" weapons and frames just mods and exp which you don't grind you just get by killing things which is the whole game right?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:09:33 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

Well, I started with an assault rifle. I'd like a sniper rifle, but it costs like 50,000 credits. I realize that's a playstyle change, but there wasn't an option to start with one.

I played a few matches with randoms; missions that were tough solo became a breeze, but lag and being carried by someone OP marred the experience. I also saw an alert for the first time; took me about 20 tries to join a public game for that. When we cleared it, I didn't notice any kind of special reward; are they just more likely to drop mods or am I missing something?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:34 PM

I accidentally clicked Mag for my warframe but eh, didn't seem like a bad choice.  I was looking into getting new ones though and while buying warframes is neat, having to also buy slots to buy them is kinda fucked up.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:45 AM

It's how they make money.  Thankfully it looks like Mag is pretty much the suit for me, so I won't need a lot of slots.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:04 PM

I dunno the difference really, but since I'm not yet using any Mag specific abilities it seems it doesn't really matter.  Right now I'm just soloing Mercury stuff, headshotting everything.  I tried the teamwork stuff but rush-to-end is kinda boring.  The infestation stuff is a lil difficult though, mainly those green poison fuckers, but I have learned the high ground is my friend!  Overall it's a very fun diversion to cap off the day.  And it's free!  So can't beat that.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:28 AM

Does f13 have a group?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:50 AM

I got a Snipetron and it's so much better for solo play.

Finally getting a hang of general play, but I'm going to need a fancy mouse if I'm going to be Johnette Woo.  Sprint-Crouch-Jump-Melee with a keyboard is problematic.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:18 AM

So no gamepad support then.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 12:02:32 PM

So no gamepad support then.

It's completely supported.

I tried it with my windows gamepad and it felt great and was very responsive.

But I felt silly trying to headshot stuff far away when my mouse was right there.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 12:53:48 PM

But I felt silly trying to headshot stuff far away when my mouse was right there.

It only hurts for a short while. why so serious?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 01:46:23 PM

Couldn't resist downloading. First impression is that I love the atmosphere and soundtrack. It has didgeridoos!

I hope the guns get more exotic because the starter assault rifle is a bit pedestrian, especially for this sort of far future setting.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: [Steam, free] Warframe: mission based fps that is unique and damn fun.  
Jump to: