Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Arena - Total Warld in Conflict? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War: Arena - Total Warld in Conflict?  (Read 10484 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:31 AM

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/02/total-war-arena-isnt-a-dota-clone/
Total War: Arena is a free-to-play effort announced at GDC. It gives players just three units to play with, as opposed to the 20 a core Total War game might front, but aims to provide a similar on-the-field commander experience.

Sounds great. I still think WiC was best multiplayer RTS I ever played, and a TW version of this could really be fantastic. Nice fast paced gameplay, no dumb basebuilding, micro management of such a small group units doesn't require korean cat-like reflexes, so more time to just think about your tactical movements, reactions to enemy and coordination with teammates who also had a similar group of units.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:01 AM

What is this... I don't even...

I'd rather they fix the bugs in Shogun 2, Napoleon or Empire instead of this... whatever this is.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:01 PM

So it's TW Dota, basically.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:19 PM

What? Not DOTA

Am I the only one here who played world in conflict?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:18 PM

I played it. You controlled a lot more units than 3 in WiC.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:58 PM

In MP? Just 4-5 vehicles (tanks, choppers, artillery), maybe 6-7 cheaper infantry units max. Usually less since you were often waiting on reinforcements.

Also in the article is says you will probably be able to split units up in TW:A so if you really want to micro more you can divide those 3 units of 40 into 6 units of 20.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:01:36 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:00:28 PM

Best thread title.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:20:44 PM

I'm a TW whore, but this doesn't grab me at all. Release Rome 2, dammit. RELEASE IT!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:37 PM

After the buggy mess that was Shogun 2, I find myself unable to care about Rome 2.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:38:45 AM

Huh, I never noticed any bugs in Shogun 2 in particular, but I guess I didn't play it a huge amount. Just abysmally slow load times.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48:31 AM

After the buggy mess that was every Total War since medieval, I find myself unable to care about the franchise.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:48:53 AM

After the buggy mess that was Shogun 2, I find myself unable to care about Rome 2.
Wah?  I played a lot of Shogun 2, and never noticed any bugs at all.  What are you having problems with?

For me, the only thing that hurt the game badly was the load times, as Ingmar said.  Other than that, I thought it was probably the best in the Franchise after Rome.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:37 AM

The load times weren't bad at first, but got worse the longer the campaign wore on. Then about 14 hours in, I'd start having campaign map freezeups where the game just sits there thinking about it when I do things like select a city or a particularly sizeable stack of troops. Then it just started hard locking on me at about hour 15. I gave up after that. The campaign map changes from the previous iterations were good - the 3d combat felt WAY too rushed, way too frenetic and was over way too quickly. It felt like they'd caffeined up the 3d combat to appease the deathmatch crowd and that the campaign map's bugs were just going to get worse and worse.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:03 AM

Yeah I think they are trying to clean that up. The problem is too many stacks running around. The AI just spammed them out and tried to wear you down. They said in RTW2 they want less battles/stacks, but more significant ones. 3D battles too hopefully they slow them down more so it's less about overwhelming morale for insta-routes.

Hopefully TW:A will encourage this since this gives them an outlet for RTS MP deathmatch play. World in conflict was fantastic for this, you could join an ongoing battle map,  no lobby matchmaking crap, just drop in/out, spawn your 4 tanks or gunships and join the 7v7 fight in progress. They will be able to distinguish their flagship series 3D battles as slower paced setpiece strategy battles (and campaign) while TW:A can have the micro tactic easy play deathmatch battles.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:16 PM

Shogun's overland map was poorly designed, and that brought the whole thing down in my mind. The economy didn't make a lot of sense, and the AI was made up by a bunch of cheating assholes.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:05 PM

When has any AI not been a cheating asshole?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:18 AM

Rome and Medieval 2 didn't have it. They had pretty well designed AI's that would attack you if they saw you verging on their territory, or if you had been trying to play peaceful nice guy for too long while building up your forces.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:34:28 AM

The realm divide in Shogun 2 is one of the worst game mechanics I have ever seen.  Some douchebag who everyone hates attacks you, you burn his town: suddenly you are at war will all of Japan.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:43:46 AM

Eh?  I never had that problem in Shogun 2.  I mean, if I attack some large player in a large alliance maybe, but you shouldn't do that unless you feel you can take them all on or have formed your own large alliance.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 05:28:27 PM

Rome and Medieval 2 didn't have it. They had pretty well designed AI's that would attack you if they saw you verging on their territory, or if you had been trying to play peaceful nice guy for too long while building up your forces.

AI cheated in those games. It had gang up on player mechanisms and couldn't go bankrupt. Also it was pretty terrible and didn't even garrison holdings properly.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 04:48:07 AM

Eh?  I never had that problem in Shogun 2.  I mean, if I attack some large player in a large alliance maybe, but you shouldn't do that unless you feel you can take them all on or have formed your own large alliance.
The realm divide is an event which triggers once your clan has met a certain fame threshold. The Shogun realises that you have become a powerful force and orders the other lords to destroy you.

The event will trigger at a predictable time once you know what to look for. Certain actions are assigned fame points; once your score passes a set threshold realm divide begins. Each province conquered adds points, and this will be the main source of your realm divide trigger. Most players seem to get between 14 and 18 provinces before the event triggers. Creating a vassal will add fame points. Each heroic victory adds a few points. If you are fortunate enough to research and construct a legendary building, that too will add some fame. Difficulty level and campaign length may have some small influence on the threshold.

There is a second way to trigger realm divide and that is capturing the capital, Kyoto. If you play as a clan which starts out in central Japan don't allow yourself to be tempted into taking the capital too early!

Once the realm divide is in effect it is there for the remainder of your game. You cannot get rid of it.

The AI will not be targeted by the realm divide event. It can expand as much as it likes, conquer Kyoto, and generally become a fearsome force without the Shogun declaring his ire. This is one of the few areas of the game where the AI is not treated the same as the player.

When realm divide triggers a diplomatic penalty is applied, and it will grow with every passing turn up to a massive -200 relations with every clan. It is possible for you to keep some allies if you work hard at it; you will need to actively court their favour, sending them gifts of money in order to buy friendship. Most clans will declare war on you sooner or later. Vassals created before the realm divide will get the diplomatic penalty, and most will eventually rebel.

Link.

Towards endgame it's possible to trigger the doomsday clock by defending yourself too hard, at which point if you're not prepared to invade Kyoto you're basically fucked; GG.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 06:06:59 AM

Ah, got it, didn't realize you were talking about he actual 'Realm Divided' event, sorry.

I don't know, it was never really a problem for me.  I watched that bar closely the entire game, and once it started getting near the end, would stop expanding and just start building up my cities and armies, then trigger the event on demand.

-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:27 AM

I didn't mind that realm divide, it was cheesy but it threw a new challenge at the player at the point when the player normally gets strong enough to roll the map easily. It was like Mongol event in MTW2 for certain eastern factions. RTW2 will prolly have something similar if you are Roman faction where if  you get strong enough you trigger civil war.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:42 AM

The first Rome had the civil war event, but it was poorly handled since you couldn't stab your allies until after a significant number of provinces. By that point, it was so late in the game, many people didn't give a shit about finishing.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:32 AM

I didn't mind that realm divide, it was cheesy but it threw a new challenge at the player at the point when the player normally gets strong enough to roll the map easily. It was like Mongol event in MTW2 for certain eastern factions. RTW2 will prolly have something similar if you are Roman faction where if  you get strong enough you trigger civil war.
Maybe.  Kind of hope they keep the mechanic where it begins when one side decides fuck it, and invades Rome.

-Stephen Colbert
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:48 AM

The realm divide in Shogun 2 is one of the worst game mechanics I have ever seen.  Some douchebag who everyone hates attacks you, you burn his town: suddenly you are at war will all of Japan.
Oh they copied the ai from civ 3? I think it was 3 where I'd be hated for defending myself against some nothing country.
Or was it 2?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:07 AM

Finally in an invite-only Alpha state: http://www.totalwar.com/arena

They are streaming live games right now on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Reminds me of Shattered Galaxy in terms of the setup (each player controls a small number of units).

Edit: live stream over, don't know if they'll have a archived broadcast for this stream yet

Edit 2: Stream archive: http://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/b/661972447
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:03:32 PM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:19 AM

I tried it. Like it a lot but I am not good enough at strategy games to say if it's good beyond the first impression. Also, it's in alpha so no one should expect it to be balanced or polished, but it seems pretty awesome to me so far. It's clearly influenced by Wargaming.net games even in terms of UI so it really seems (again, at first) as a combination of World of Tanks and Total War. World of Total Wars? Matches are 8 v 8 armies/players so far if I am not mistaken. I wasn't expecting that many people (and so much strategy) and that left a positive feeling.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 10:57:28 AM

It's 10 v 10.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 07:41:50 AM

Videos look good, as I expected it resembles World in Conflict which was sort of an underrated RTS, with a format of just controlling a single squad of units (4-5 tanks, or AA, Howitzers, gunships, etc.) on a map with 10-20 players, instead of the traditional whole army. That format had a lot of potential but kind of was lost in the explosion of the MOBA craze.

I like the format because micro obviously is important with a half dozen units but you don't need to have professional level clicks-per-minute ability to micro a whole army of 30 units spread all across the map, or like in a MOBA have a single unit microing perfectly in sync with teammates, comboing super abilities, etc. You also still need to pay attention to the battle flow across the whole map, but you don't need to be at max zoom the whole time, watching icons.

The larger 10 v 10 format means it can function like a FPS team death match in terms of matchmaking, where a player can drop and be immediately replaced midgame, without throwing things off. Further even if you team is being stomped, at least you can spawn with your squad and still have a decent game working with a couple of other competent players holding a map sector down with complementary units.

I really think this will do great things for TW multiplayer which I always thought was bad. None of the units were balanced properly for it so you had all kinds of cheese stack tactics (cav, arty, archers, etc.), too intense but only because it was annoying to constantly be adjusting so many units facing, battles were also pretty long, but came down to too many quick all or nothing moments (light cav sneaks around and smashes flank of an inf unit you didn't face it with, causes moral chain collapse along line).
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 04:22:52 PM

Warld is the hardest to read "word" I've ever seen.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 11:14:29 AM

I'm in beta for this and it's decent. Basically 10v10 RTS where each player controls 3 units of troops of either single or mixed types. The maps are pretty good, nice variety of terrains which have impact. Elevation & fog of war are significant too. Before battle you choose a commander who specializes in something, like assault, defensive, or support, and usually in a certain type of a troop. Then you go with 3 units of troops, either 3 of one type or a mix. Generally a mix is better because even if your commander specializes in say heavy infantry it's good to bring along one unit of skirmishers or cav to cover them, it's too much to  depend on teammates to completely cover your tactical weaknesses, although there is a decent amount of it on a good team.

So overall pretty solid, and I think a much better multiplayer experience (which I never really liked) than the normal TW games. The things I like more are the only 3 units instead of 10. It shifts the game away from so much heavy mico when you have 16 units, gives you time to react instead of being hosed if attacked broadly and just can't click fast enough to turn units all over. Thus in turn you have time to focus more on the overall strategic going-ons of the battle, which is important since with 10v10 there's a lot of things happening. Reacting to new map situations along with communication to the team helps a lot.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 12:38:30 AM

The closed beta is about to wrap up in 2 weeks (end of October). Open beta to start shortly thereafter with no more progress resets after it starts.
Certainly looks fun but you'll still be at the mercy of the average mouth breather. https://youtu.be/x8j7X01QYbo
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:27:54 AM by Bungee »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 09:27:45 AM

This still exists?

-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 06:12:39 AM

I didn't sign up for the current closed round but they licensed it out to the World of Tanks guys to run. Doesn't look like many changes, maybe they cleaned up the performance which was a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Arena - Total Warld in Conflict?  
Jump to: