Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149429 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #455 on: May 24, 2017, 01:23:30 PM

Close enough to mine for a day 1 pickup. I had issues with 1, but it was overall a pretty enjoyable experience.

-Rasix
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #456 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:05 AM

Yeah, I've been having difficulty holding off getting the early release on this, so I'm glad to see there's finally a release date.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:01 PM

I liked the combat and skills systems a lot, but disliked the stat system and story (never finished the game). Will be interesting to see where this one goes. Will def play it. Hopefully they got better writers and a better plot.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:57:00 PM by lamaros »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:09 AM

I bought the alpha.

Some of the same stuff as before, but overall a better game so far.

Worth it. Looking forward to full release.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #459 on: June 19, 2017, 11:04:38 AM

I just hit a point I didn't want to play the game anymore because it just stopped entertaining me. That's sad but there it is. I'll pick it up in a few years on discount because while it was fun at the outset, I didn't even make it past the first challenge when you get to the astral fortress or whatever it was.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #460 on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:55 PM

After barely making it anywhere in D:OS, a couple hours into Pillars and only about halfway through Torment, I've decided I'm not into isometric rpg anymore. Funny how that happened, used to be my favorite genre/style.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #461 on: June 19, 2017, 01:04:33 PM

I'm with you there. I can't decide if it was the lack of options in those days, the abundance of time on my part, or my unfamiliarity with the worlds in the new iso games.  They just don't click with me like they once did.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #462 on: June 19, 2017, 01:09:17 PM

Might have something to do with the ridiculous complexity of the systems in those games.  I found the first half hour of Divinity: Original Sin to be both perplexing and daunting due to the number of stats and lack of tutorial.  They could all stand to be more user-friendly, IMO.
Rasix

Reply #463 on: June 19, 2017, 01:31:58 PM

To be honest, D:OS, Pillars and I'm guessing Torment (given that inXile completely sucks and Fargo is nothing more than a nostalgia farmer) aren't that good of games.  At least I enjoyed playing D:OS more than Pillars. The story was awful, the combat balance is kind of shitty, the pacing was horrid, but the combat system and interactivity of the combat environment were decent. It was enjoyable enough to finish, while I felt like I was stuck in a sunk-cost loop with Pillars.

I will probably play this at some point. Even given its shortcomings, I enjoyed the experience of D:OS to want to play its sequel. It showed potential and it showed a development team that was trying to do something special rather than just pull on your heartstrings and wallet simultaneously.

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: June 19, 2017, 04:26:00 PM

I've recently played through BG1 & 2. In full.

D:OS2 combat is more fun, though the systems are shallower. In every other respect BG2 is better, still, (DOS2 only wins combat because of the whole 'everything is about mages' annoyance that combat becomes in BG).

PoE is just a flat out crap game.

I imagine D:OS will get stupid at some point, because the writers are insipid and dull, and it moves way too quickly into the naff 'you are a Divine god, read our lore that makes Metzen look deep'... But so far it's doing a bit better for me on that front (not t the end of alpha areas).

But even BG2 had bits of that, and D:OS2 at least has loot and combat fun before you get bored. And yeah, I gave up D:OS1 halfway into the second area too.

So far D:OS2 is boring me more slowly.

The UI is fucking awful though. A consolised piece of shit in a game I'd kill myself before playing on a console. Camera is too tight also.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:31:16 PM by lamaros »
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:15 AM

I prefer pillars of eternity over Divinity: OS, I like 6-man groups over 4-man groups and pausable combat much more than a strict turn-based system. Its good that they go for a single character mode for D:OS2, playing two main characters when doing it solo was a very odd experience.

I do like these types of games but they could do much more with the combat system. They also need to hire an asshole as editor that cuts down on the amount of texts with random information that dilutes the writing. Quality over quantity but I suppose that's heresy when its come to fantasy writers.

Paid the kickstarter but haven't touched the game on steam yet, waiting for the finished experienced before i get started.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #466 on: June 20, 2017, 07:01:36 AM

The dual character thing bothered me, too. I might be over party-based solo games? I had about the same playtime in Beyond Divinity that I did in D:OS, but finished Divine Divinity (it was sooo good) and Divinity II is on my Steam top ten.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: June 20, 2017, 07:17:32 PM

After barely making it anywhere in D:OS, a couple hours into Pillars and only about halfway through Torment, I've decided I'm not into isometric rpg anymore. Funny how that happened, used to be my favorite genre/style.

Pretty much the opposite direction for me.  I used to hate these types of games (heresy, I know), every time I won an encounter it felt like I should have lost and I only beat it by exploiting some glitch or because of lucky RNG.  It always felt like I was playing "wrong", that my choices were cheese or die.  The new games (of which I've only played Pillars and Tyranny) at least I mostly feel like I get why things are happening and the systems feel like they work together.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: June 21, 2017, 01:36:30 AM

I prefer pillars of eternity over Divinity: OS, I like 6-man groups over 4-man groups and pausable combat much more than a strict turn-based system. Its good that they go for a single character mode for D:OS2, playing two main characters when doing it solo was a very odd experience.

I do like these types of games but they could do much more with the combat system. They also need to hire an asshole as editor that cuts down on the amount of texts with random information that dilutes the writing. Quality over quantity but I suppose that's heresy when its come to fantasy writers.

Paid the kickstarter but haven't touched the game on steam yet, waiting for the finished experienced before i get started.

DOS2 seems to be going for more of the BG style companion business. They've got a lot of ground to make up, but they've moved in the right direction with the Alpha IMO.

And yeah, I think they could use a better story and writing editor. They get into the naff side of things a fair bit more often than is required.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:03 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with DOS2. I've already finished one playthrough and am working on another. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this here.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #470 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:53 AM

It came up in the What are you playing? thread. A few of us have been enjoying it at least.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #471 on: September 27, 2017, 08:18:13 AM

I'm enjoying it as well, though I haven't gotten very far.  I keep running into fights that kick my ass and rage quitting.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:57 AM

I found the previous Divinity game incredibly boring. I never made it out of the first town. I doubt very much that I'll give this one a chance - not at full price anyway.
Rasix

Reply #473 on: September 27, 2017, 03:39:31 PM

Some fights are still really awful. Yah, lets stick 3 teleporting bugs on high ground that do 70 damage per round while you're being attacked by a necromancer and a ton of zombies.  Shaking fist

However, the game is rather good. It's just got some difficulty level inconsistencies. There's also this annoying issue that I can't talk to this one NPC or he automatically moves the plot forward before I want him to. So, jankiness, that's part of the bargain.

The writing and plot so far are a lot better than the original.

-Rasix
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:31 PM

I stick teleportation on all my guys as soon as I can. The fact that it bypasses armor is broken. If you're not prepared to minmax the shit out of the game I would stay far away from tactician, and even classic is quite difficult at times.

My first playthrough I played classic as Lohse and took Sebille, Fane, and Ifan. Now I'm taking the Red Prince, Beast, Lohse, and a custom elf into tactician mode. All the companions are pretty great.

The game has a lot of jankiness with the journal in the final act of the game. A fairly major spoiler was revealed in my journal as if I had discovered the information when I didn't do anything of the sort. That was a bit annoying.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #475 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:18 PM

I just ran two Lone Wolves. Fane's Time Warp broke most encounters.
Turn 1: Time Warp 2 AP End Turn
Turn 2: Start with 6 + 4 AP
Late game combo:
Overpower 2AP > Shackle 2AP > Living on the Edge 3AP > Adrenaline +2AP > Healing Potion 1670 HP/ea x 5 = 8350 Damage inflicted

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #476 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:03 AM

That teleporting bug fight was the toughest one I've had in chapter one. Finally beat it by sneaking most of my crew in and having them hide on the outcrops the bugs appear on, then sending my teleporting rogue in to trigger the conversation with the witch. The key to winning it for me though, was using consumables to restore magic armor throughout the fight, which made the bugs far less of a problem.

The game is really balanced around you not trying to take on fights where the critters out level you - it scales very quickly.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #477 on: September 28, 2017, 07:34:01 AM

One level seems to make a tremendous difference.  I just beat the teleporting bug fight last night after leaving it alone to explore the rest of the island first.  I parked all my guys on the first pillar and started the fight by plinking the witch with some arrows.  Ended the night trying to find a way to counter Hellfire status on an NPC and learning from the internet that I need someone with Necromancy 1 to cast Rain of Blood and I have neither the skill nor an item which grants it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #478 on: September 28, 2017, 08:01:06 AM

Co-op, with friends, is pretty awesome this time around.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #479 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:34 AM

I heard there is a mod that helps with the camera and I'm seriously considering it even though it fucks up achievements.  I hate this camera!  HATE.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:11 AM

The game is really great in the first act, and the story and writing stay good throughout.  But it runs into some serious scaling issues later in the game.  The combats are really fun though and reward creative thinking, even if the the drudgery of gear collection and inventory management detract somewhat from he overall experience.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:58 PM

The game is really great in the first act, and the story and writing stay good throughout.  But it runs into some serious scaling issues later in the game.  The combats are really fun though and reward creative thinking, even if the the drudgery of gear collection and inventory management detract somewhat from he overall experience.

I was lucky that my co-op partner is a min-maxer and a loot whore.
So he took care of the chores himself, and the clutter of sorting gear is halved when you picked Lone Wolves to slash the party size to 2.
I spent most of the time thieving gears that I need and kept pace with the bloat with my summons.
The bloat was real. Saw no less than 8000 physical armor on a generic town guard at lvl 20.  swamp poop
At this point I'm just pushing through to the end.

It wasn't so bad from lvl 1-9 fights can be hard, challenging but we pulled through with some clutch tactics, not just raw damage.
It got crazy and never went sane post Act 1 onwards.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: September 29, 2017, 10:20:11 PM

I think it is generally agreed that dual Lone Wolf parties are stronger than a full party.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:54 PM

Finished it last weekend.
Didn't like obvious troll way of ending a co-op session with that kind of finale.

Still a good game.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #484 on: October 01, 2017, 08:23:33 PM

I keep getting my ass kicked.  Considering starting over with a different party, but maybe it's just me.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: October 02, 2017, 03:00:16 AM

My advice is to start it safe with a Lone Wolf character, more HP, more AP as long your party size is just 2.
Newbie friendly build:
Max STR
Warfare 1
Polymorph 1

Skill picks:
Warfare
- Battle Stomp - Knockdown
- Battering Ram - Knockdown

Polymorph
- Lash - Hardhitting attack that inflicts atropy, forcing the enemy to unequip his weapon.

Remember that debuffs are blocked by respective armor, so you must ensure the attack damage will penetrate the enemy's vitality or else the CC will not land.
E.g Battering Ram, tooltip 10-12 damage will land a knockdown against:
Enemy with  9 PA / 60 MA - Yes
Enemy with 13 PA / 0 MA - No

Rasix

Reply #486 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:23 AM

Going to have to figure out a way to cheese the Alexander fight.  The surprise visit in it keeps kicking my ass. Fight would be completely manageable otherwise.

As a sort of revenge, I've been clearing the town of all magister presence.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #487 on: October 02, 2017, 12:17:55 PM

I had to lure the close-combat guys out of the ruin through the gate at the top, then get lucky that none of my guys got focused on after the second round.  The archer and mage tend not to follow until it's too late and I was able to heal and then resume the fight to clean up.

I actually did get on a roll again last night, but I assume I'm only an hour or so from another fight that will wreck me.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: October 03, 2017, 02:36:40 AM

Limit their vision on your characters. Aggro with the toughest guy. Have the other 3 be out of combat. That'll break up their rhythm a bit.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: October 03, 2017, 07:16:30 AM

How fights start is always really important. If one person is talking with somebody you're pretty sure you're going to fight you can cycle to another party member and position your whole party while the first guy is in dialogue mode. You can also put as many buffs as possible on the dialogue guy as the time on them doesn't tick down until you finish talking.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: