Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382202 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #455 on: September 18, 2013, 04:04:02 PM

I'm probably just going to ignore Teq until they tune him lower.  Easy enough to do, I've got toons to level.  

I don't really want to bother with team speak and/or fail because some goofball grabbed the turrets or we don't have decent PVE commanders on.

Luckily there's a lot to do when you've been away for a long time.  SAB and this haven't exactly wowed me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:07:32 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #456 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:13 AM

I tried the Tequila fight last night since it popped up right before bed, as well as the new Golem.

On the one hand, some of the mechanics are kinda fun for a bit. Evading poison clouds/electrical bursts and jumping over waves/fists is kinda neat; it's all on your own timing and skill.

On the other hand, after 50+ people pounding at Tequila for ten minutes, it was down maybe 5% health. The golem was similar - a brief (SNES-Megaman-like) attack cycle, but a huge sponge of HP so it took somewhere on the order of 13 minutes to grind through. Shooting for minutes on end at an essentially stationary object isn't fun, it's tedious.

Less HP and more active play would be nice. Perhaps stuff akin to the Jormag bits where you have to make him vulnerable by doing slightly different things; you know, take down the protection, then shoot the weak spot. Just like an old SNES shooter.

As is, I prefer the old taxiing-to-victory autoattack bosses.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: September 19, 2013, 06:36:32 AM

Having one big badass boss is fine in my books and I'll probably ignore it for the most part. We got it down to 75% last night and my reward was 2 greens.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Not a whole lot of incentive to go back other than "hey we finally did it and I was there for the first time".

I respec'd my Warrior last night though and decided to see how terrible I could be in WvW, and it was pretty damn fun with the new control points and some smaller group fights. Our matchup this week ran away from us, so there isn't a lot of reason to go out into the Borderlands, but that was pretty good time.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:32 AM

The difficulty of Teq is hardly the point.  The comparative difficulty of completing Teq on an overflow vs a home server is the point.

Home servers have public voice chat channels and guild coordination.  Overflows are random people from random servers. 

It's a lame change.  It's an answer to the call for raids, except it's a 15 minute sudden death raid at random times with random people.  I imagine one would need a third hand and some fleet enemas to do this and poop in a sock successfullly. 

Luckily it's mediocre loot and not necessary at all.  If the other chest events are made like this, I wish this game luck.
Rasix

Reply #459 on: September 23, 2013, 09:41:58 AM

Apparently I stumbled on a serious Teq attempt last night.  Usually if it's even moderately close to expected Teq time or there's an organized attempt, the zone boots me to an overflow. Decided to stick around.

Despite what looked like an attempt that wasn't going to get it done, Teq scampered off at like maybe 3%, if that.   There were no serious mess ups.  And yet, still didn't down him.  That's got to be a bit frustrating, but the response from the pins reminded me why I don't do organized PvE much.  Instead of "good job, we'll get him next time" it was mostly "you guys suck dick.  do I need to bring my warrior? jesus, dps, learn how to do damage.  why is this so fucking hard for you retards? etc etc etc"

edit: It's funny, none of my toons are geared in "optimal" Teq gear, at least for the DPS stack.   They're either a bit too squishy, a bit too crit based or a bit too condition damage.  I guess this fight favors high vit/to/power builds.  Seemed to do really well at the turret defense, however.

Once the luster has worn off and there's a new build out, is anyone going to bother doing Teq?  The non-organized attempt I saw (same day as other) barely even damaged him.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:44:40 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: September 23, 2013, 12:16:04 PM

Once the luster has worn off and there's a new build out, is anyone going to bother doing Teq?  The non-organized attempt I saw (same day as other) barely even damaged him.

This, other than the achievement for doing it - there's no real reason for me to keep going to this event already. My luck for good drops is awful and I hate running off from whatever I am doing to go fail an event over and over. It's already not worth my time, especially when you compare it to Scarlet's invasion and the jackpot each of those was.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #461 on: September 23, 2013, 02:12:56 PM

I'm already ignoring it as hard as I can. I'd rather they kept the ball-kicking raid shit in their own little corner instead of deciding to make world bosses harder or whatever, but ... eh. Ignorable enough.

I ignore a lot of shit in this game, I've noticed.   why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Rasix

Reply #462 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:40 PM

Pretty easy to do that when there's no sub fee.  I have serious doubts I'll ever do a regular dungeon or fractal.  I may some day finish my thief's personal story.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #463 on: September 23, 2013, 02:23:45 PM

Furthest I've gotten on the personal story was somewhere in the 50's before going "fuck it, I just don't care." I like the early stuff well enough, when it has little shout-outs to the stuff you picked during chargen as your background and such, but once you pick an order it gets way bland.

Also the voice acting is so bad. Soooo bad. It's a good illustration of how important directors are.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:30 PM

I ignore a lot of shit as well.  Basically right now I'm exploring and fighting/doing quests that arise from said exploring.  When I get bored, I hop to an alt, rinse and repeat.  But I personally don't like the story quests/dungeons and don't give much of shit for fractals and PVP.  More power to those that do.

A huge fucking world with lots of nooks and crannies along with best in class combat.  Love it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #465 on: September 23, 2013, 02:41:55 PM

I WvW once or twice a month. Other than that I just don't see anything worth doing in the game for me that I haven't already done, and I find the replayability of a lot of this stuff very low. I thought about trying to level another class to try in WvW, and the only way I can stick with it is just by leveling IN WvW, every time I try to PVE I get bored with the repetitiveness of it all about 15 minutes in.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:51 PM

I just finished 100% world completion for the second time, have crafted 3 ascended weapons, completed personal story including Arah on 5 characters, done guild rushes and puzzles and challenges, run fractals and dungeons and done WvW.

The game has lost its shine for me and Teq etc isn't going to solve that.

Teq is a clusterfuck decision by Aanet. Like SAB2.0 they polarised their user base but this time took away a part of the daily chance to get precursers/ectos/ascended mats because of the need for heavy organisation in what was a casual-friendly game. People liked coming in, taking a shot at old Teq and walking away having fun and loot for 5 min and moving on. New Teq should have been called "New Big Angry Motherfucker Dragon", stuck in a living story zone as an option. That way the status quo wouldn't have been as badly disturbed by an old/new dragon that needed 80+ coordinated people killing him. He also should have had scaling on him.

My old game play used to be; family time, log in, dailies, chest bosses, fractal or dungeon, log out. It was fun because I could... have fun. They then upped the hit points on Wurm and Gollum making them.... boring. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking? To make these challenging... you can hit them some more. They also over-tuned the electricity grid on gollum making it difficult for higher ping players (fire elemental shares this issue). It should have had increasing damage the longer you stayed in it, not what appears (at 180 international ping) to be a nuke on my warrior. What really shits me is that to have a better chance at survival on these bosses, it's better for melee classes to equip ranged weapons. WTF?Huh? This is fractal mindset at it's worst. In fact, it's the biggest design flaw in the game and has been there since day 1 as some bosses in dungeons are easier to range down.

Living story is shit. It's not interesting enough and doesn't bring much to the table. I rate it as just above personal story but only because it doesn't have Trahearne. They need to be thinking of opening up new lands/exploration or even an expansion.

WvW is stagnant - it needs something to get people in there. Maybe they should have put Teq in a borderland :D

I may be a touch jaded from overplaying the game I guess.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:07:05 PM by Setanta »

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #467 on: September 23, 2013, 04:05:54 PM

Unfortunately the new WvW stuff isn't going to help - it's a win-more mechanic, which is the opposite of what it needs.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #468 on: September 23, 2013, 04:11:37 PM

I don't disagree with your assessments, Set, but..

I just finished 100% world completion for the second time, have crafted 3 ascended weapons, completed personal story including Arah on 5 characters, done guild rushes and puzzles and challenges, run fractals and dungeons and done WvW.

I may be a touch jaded from overplaying the game I guess.

Perhaps.

I'm so behind on everything, that I'm overplaying like hell (I usually don't play a single game for my entire gaming time, but I am here) and not yet feeling any burnout.  My alt-itis is making me a bit sick of leveling, however.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:16:49 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #469 on: September 23, 2013, 05:50:10 PM

Yeah, the new WvW thing is just terrible. I understand (I SUPPOSE) wanting to break up zergs some (as someone who likes the zerg, I am not a big fan of this ... there was already shit to do as a small havoc squad, dammit), but the way it's been done just makes the population imbalances even more glaring, because Server A might have 80 people in the zone and able to break into 40 and 40, while Server B only has 40 total (and Server C is asleep). So Server A has a zerg that can capture all the horseshit, so that the other zerg, when meeting equal numbers, has a huge buff to overpower Server B. And they get more points to boot!

Basically, it's like the relic problem in DAoC all over again, where the rich get richer and the lower population servers in a match up (even just from time zone to time zone) have even less reason to voluntarily get steamrolled. Bigger population was already an advantage, now you get a freaking buff for it.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: September 24, 2013, 07:00:28 AM

Some weird changes indeed.  The only thing that concerns me is that the team sees Teq as a success because it's "hard," and changes the game to fit this model on a wider scale.  The final nail would be to ensure that the best loot comes from only the "hard" content. 

I put "hard" in quotes not only because I like to set up jokes, but because this event isn't fucking hard.  The game mechanics of spam clicking "join your buddy in the main instance" and having to camp for hours is the hard part.  The difficulty level of Teq is easier than the first boss in Icecrown Citadel (Marrowgar).  And when you die, you can WP and run back to the fight.

The stupid part of this event is that "we can haz raid now?"  but let's have the raid at random times with random people.  And instead of 10 or 25, or even the old days of 40 players, we have 80+, most of whom are in overflows with an even more random set of people! 

swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop
 ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:48 AM

I've been out for almost a year now, but have been thinking of coming back. I left just after Lost Shores launched, in part because I was playing at an addictive level that only 10 days of pneumonia could undo smiley

Anyway, just how lost will I be if I come back, and what should I pick up. Had an 80 Ele, 20 something Engy and a teens Mesmer. Keeping casually interested over the last 10 or so months it looks like most of the craziest changes were endgame type things, so is picking up and continuing an alt the best way to ease back in? And are all classes still pretty viable, or has there been some that have gotten much better while others have languished.

And no way am I asking any of this on the Oboards wink
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:46 AM

The best way to get into the game is to have a goal.  There is really not much of and endgame, ascended weapons and legendaries are a tiny improvement over exotic stuff.  Did you enjoy wvwvw? or pvp? do you like making your characters look just right? dungeons? exploring?  I finished my legendary a week or so ago and found myself playing very little because i no longer had a goal in mind. 

I am the .00000001428%
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: September 24, 2013, 03:07:17 PM

Also, I don't think the game is all that different.  The high volume of temporary content was just that:  temporary.  New skins and achievements basically.  Actual class changes have occurred but they're not so huge as to alter play style (in my experience).  (Do make sure to see if trait points have been refunded though!)

So if you were to just futz around with your toons as you like, I think it would be pretty easy to get back into the groove pretty fast.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:35 PM

I've been out for almost a year now, but have been thinking of coming back. I left just after Lost Shores launched, in part because I was playing at an addictive level that only 10 days of pneumonia could undo smiley

Anyway, just how lost will I be if I come back, and what should I pick up. Had an 80 Ele, 20 something Engy and a teens Mesmer. Keeping casually interested over the last 10 or so months it looks like most of the craziest changes were endgame type things, so is picking up and continuing an alt the best way to ease back in? And are all classes still pretty viable, or has there been some that have gotten much better while others have languished.

And no way am I asking any of this on the Oboards wink

I started and quit exactly when you did.  I don't see many changes honestly, but then again I don't pvp or do dungeons/fractals.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #475 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:05 PM

If you don't do WvW (and even then the change isn't even a week old yet (I think?), so it's new for everyone) or dungeons/fractals, I don't think there's much different that isn't Living World nonsense, and right now the Living World thing is just derpy LOOK WE MADE THIS WORLD BOSS WAY HARDER that is easily ignored.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: September 25, 2013, 06:08:35 AM

Cool ok. I didn't PvP (in any flavor) nor dungeon much, so it's cool to know the game is still approachable. I loved the casual play coupled with the random social large scale outdoor raid type stuff with zone controls stuff. I'll patch on up this week and see what's what on Friday.

Did they ever fix it so that regardless of what guild you're "active" in (whatever that was called), you could still see who in what other guilds is online and and where they were?
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: September 25, 2013, 07:28:36 AM

swamp poop SWAMP POOP EPISODE TEN MILLION swamp poop

WTF is this bloodlust in WvW?  Logged in last night after a 2 week break and Orbs were back. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: September 25, 2013, 02:14:57 PM

Border Lands have 5 SPvP style capture points, hold 3 points for 2 minutes and you gain a stack of 'bloodlust' which gives you 50 bonus stats for each stack and most importantly, causes any STOMP you perform to add 1 point to your realms point total.

AKA: The OVERmanned buff. It's causing already lopsided matches to snowball into hell. I think something like 30-40% of Tier1 point totals are coming from Stomps now. I don't expect it to last longer then the first WvW season.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:35 PM

It really is the usual problem of "I want a tangible gain for winning wvw!" followed by "oh yeah, if we do that suddenly winning becomes a snowball situation."

On the plus side, they're kind of fun to fight over most of the time.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: September 25, 2013, 05:16:44 PM

That hasn't been my experience. What I see happen is the zerg moves in, cleans them out and leaves a thief group to back cap to delay the flip until the zerg finishes its PPT objective and returns to clean out the middle again.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: September 25, 2013, 11:10:41 PM

So basically they decided that if the WvWers didn't want to go sPvP, they'd bring the sPvP to the WvWers whether they like it or not, with buffs so stupid they'll be forced to do it.  swamp poop

Over and out.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: September 25, 2013, 11:25:57 PM

Back in GW1 I pledge not to buy this game and nearly broke that pledge before I noticed the lack of team deathmatch. One year in ill wait for a second drop in price before scooping up the bargin bin, let the gf buy me diablo 3 cause it can't be that bad DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: September 26, 2013, 07:48:04 AM

So basically they decided that if the WvWers didn't want to go sPvP, they'd bring the sPvP to the WvWers whether they like it or not, with buffs so stupid they'll be forced to do it.  swamp poop

I really hope they don't NGE this game.  They're using this rapid fire content change model as an excuse to experiment with the live game.  I'm just a caveman, I fell on some ice and later I got thawed out by some of your scientists, but to me this seems like a bad thing.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:53 AM

Anet is historical bad at understand what make their pvp fun and is more apt to take the path of least resistance. 
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:38 AM

I went to the Teq fight last night on GoM to get my daily and just see how far we had advanced in killing it.

There was maybe 20 people there? During primetime. I just ran around rezzing people for the daily and then afk'd for the last 8 minutes or so while the event finished. Apparently JQ guested to us at some point and killed the dragon for us and since then it's been a ghost town.

Rasix

Reply #486 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:55 AM

I actually got in for a kill a few days ago.  It took me actually not getting into an overflow (I'm on JQ) and then pretty much goofing around in the zone for 2 hours until it started. 

I guess we were bad on DPS.  At least that's what the guy on vent kept telling everyone.  I think it was downed with a minute or two left.   Didn't really look like a full attempt, there must have been a number of AFKers or people just in the zone for other reasons. 

They need to make the effective number needed for these fights a lot lower, IMO.  I've heard he's scaled to 80 people, no matter how many you have.  I don't see myself making a grand effort to try this again.

Now, I'm trying to leveling a mesmer.  Trying being the key word.  I feel like I don't do any damage.

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:20 AM

I got a kill a few days ago too, the first 25% is the only real challenge after that it is just beating up on a punching bag.

I am the .00000001428%
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #488 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50:21 PM

Now, I'm trying to leveling a mesmer.  Trying being the key word.  I feel like I don't do any damage.

Mesmers take a LONG time to start to feel good, unfortunately. I was like ... level 40 before I started thinking, "OK, I think I can dig this." And I only got that far because I bought the perfect outfit for him and GODDAMMIT I NEED TO LEVEL HIM TO JUSTIFY IT.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: September 27, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

I have a token to level a class to 20.  I was going to use it for a Guardian but are Mesmers cool at 20?  I tried one from scratch and was unimpressed.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: