Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this game dead or?  (Read 382129 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 12, 2013, 08:31:35 AM

I don't think people spend that much in the cash shop, they buy gems to turn into gold.  Ten bucks gets you around 30 gold atm, which is more than i've ever had.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #141 on: July 12, 2013, 11:22:23 AM

Yeah that has to be it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 12, 2013, 08:05:41 PM

I wish I'd bought more molten picks. They aren't justifiable in terms of economy but for convenience they rock (I only bought 2). On the other hand, I will probably deck out all my characters with the saw - or at least one from each class. Bank slots and character slots I have bought but bag slots - the characters have to earn the gold for them :)

I also bought an aether medium set of skins (can be worn outside) for my second engineer. Originally I bought the medium and heavy skin set and later the haloween costume - because it's functional as well as fun. I do buy XP, Karma and MF boosts if I run out - haven't done that in a long time though. Also the 80-80 transmog gems (but the lower level ones I have over 70 of due to zone completions). Gold is a necessity as I don't want to grind it (and I dump all my earned gold into T3 skins) so I buy a little now and then for exotics if I don't get decent drops. I bought a MF set of exotics and with food etc, I don't need to convert gems to gold as much. But as a starting point it was great :)

I ditched all my subscription games so I don't mind buying from the shop.

I don't buy vanity pets anymore, I'm over them. Likewise dyes, they are cheaper on the market individually. I refuse to buy the RNG chests but from the last content release I got 9 jade tickets (decked out my human guardian with all jade weapons) and so far have 2 sun-catchers and a helm.

I have a feeling the gem store is a great model to follow.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #143 on: July 13, 2013, 12:40:29 AM

I hit max level in this game finally! Twice! Level 80 thief and level 80 guardian! Both of whom I immediately dropped upon hitting 80 because ugh I cannot be bothered to gear them up (yet). Next up is my elementalist! He's 63 or something.

PS: Setana, your little level 6 dude is hot.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:19 AM

lol - got him to 11 to wear the shoulders :D

I even like the original colours - just needs a Captain America shield and pistol... which he can wear because he's an engineer :)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:35 AM

I hit max level in this game finally! Twice! Level 80 thief and level 80 guardian! Both of whom I immediately dropped upon hitting 80 because ugh I cannot be bothered to gear them up (yet). Next up is my elementalist! He's 63 or something.
My 80 Necro has been running around in level 60-ish gear for months.  I only upgraded to exotics last week after deciding to drink a million karma in potions.  There's no reason to stop playing them if you find them fun.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 13, 2013, 06:53:57 AM

What's T3 skins?

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 13, 2013, 07:26:28 AM

What's T3 skins?

Tier 3 Cultural Gear. Can't say I've ever bought them for the stats, just the skin

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:19 PM

Their price/stat stuff on gear is completely out of whack. It is far easier to earn the 44k karma to get an exotic piece from Orr than it is to get the gold for a T3 piece that only has rare stats.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:49 PM

Isn't that cultural stuff just prestige looks though?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55:11 PM

Ingmar: Agreed, but I don't find it hard to make gold - usually a minimum of 5 a night just playing and selling off drops/salvages.

My 2nd Guardian has full T3 Heavy (skin only not stats) plus a full complement of T3 weapons from Karma. Getting the weapons was faster.
My original guardian runs full Orrian Karma gear (skins not stats) plus full jade weapons (other than water). The Orrian gear was faster to get than the 5 pieces of Charr T3 that my warrior has or the 5 pieces of Norn T3 my ranger has.

Karma is fast and easy, you really just have to play and it rains down on you which is why my second mesmer is using full T3 Asura weapons. Having said that, getting her into light T3 was easy because I had a good run of exotics dropping along with selling SAB items at just the right time. I have a greatsaw skin from Halloween tucked away for a rainy day but I am really tempted to use it myself. This one bugs me a bit, I could sell it and exchange the gold for gems or pretties... but I know I'd regret it.

When it comes to buying things from the store is where I baulk. Gold for gems is a lousy return. I could spend a couple of days getting gold together, or I could just use what equates to 20 minutes of real work and pony up cash. So for me it comes down to in-game earn gold and wait and gem-store spend cash and enjoy.

What's really sad is I think Blizzard missed the boat with this one. I have a feeling I've willingly spent more on GW2 than I begrudgingly paid as a sub to WoW, even without doing massive gem->cash transactions. 

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 13, 2013, 05:59:01 PM

Their price/stat stuff on gear is completely out of whack. It is far easier to earn the 44k karma to get an exotic piece from Orr than it is to get the gold for a T3 piece that only has rare stats.

You can get a full set of max stat exotic gear faster than you get the 44k karma too, the point of the cultural gear is looks.

I am the .00000001428%
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:31 PM

Cultural gear is basically elite armor from GW1. Ridiculously expensive and something most people don't bother with unless they're crazy rich... or GW3 is announced with a similar GW2->3 reward program as the HOM.  why so serious?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:17 AM

Was messing around in Orr (so ugly) and ran into a big group doing the gates of Orr event. Somewhere in the middle, unable to see my character given all the effects, getting randomly ganked when I got the champions attention (cause having "tanks" makes these encounters boring). The main tactic was a lot of running around circles, rezzing others or a stream of people running back from the nearest port.

I adore the GW2 levelling experience, but the end-game... urgh.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #154 on: July 14, 2013, 06:31:44 PM

I have found that toughness/armor is very attractive to mobs.  Makes you tasty.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #155 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:59 PM

lol - got him to 11 to wear the shoulders :D

I even like the original colours - just needs a Captain America shield and pistol... which he can wear because he's an engineer :)

Rawr.

My elementalist is 77 or so now, turns out I really heart dagger/dagger for PvE. In WvW I've been lugging around a staff, though, and enjoying myself more than I expected, even though sometimes I have some mid/igraine flashbacks (I laughed at the "outnumbered" buff. Extra XP? Gosh, that makes it all worth it!). It's not really as bad as then, of course, we have more than 8 people in one place and no one is whining about how we're zerging.  why so serious?

Once he bangs up to 80 I'll probably level my warrior or hunter. Need to ride this random whim while I can!

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 16, 2013, 01:34:31 AM

Both Ranger and Warrior are fun to level. My second ranger got to 80 in a few  days and I've just started my second warrior and elementalist. I've found that ignoring all the build advice is easiest, I'm just playing this warrior as sword/ace & GS and the ele as dagger dagger (which is what my 80 ele is for everything bar fractals).

So far I need to level:
Warrior 10-->80
Ele 11->80
Thief 41->80
Necro 0->80

and that will give me 2 80s in every class. Of them, the necro will level the fastest followed by the warrior. This time I'm levelling my Necro as a condition build - screw the pet build I used last time that led me to shelve the necro for a month.

I've hit the point where the fragility of the thief class hurts in PvE (as opposed to the fun I have as a glass cannon in PvP 80)

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #157 on: July 17, 2013, 02:25:32 PM

Elementalist hit 80 during WvW last night, I guess I'll probably try leveling my 20-something warrior next.  why so serious?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 17, 2013, 02:43:18 PM

People have some horrible fashion sense.  No, you don't have to wear tentacles or wings just cause you have them, specially if the rest of your outfit looks like a ninja.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:26 PM

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!  why so serious?

I followed Sjofn into WvW last night, my Ranger was ass in just about every way I expected it to be. Everything I do is easily ignored or just flat out dead 70-80% of the time, hurrah!  Ohhhhh, I see.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 17, 2013, 06:25:25 PM

I followed Sjofn into WvW last night, my Ranger was ass in just about every way I expected it to be. Everything I do is easily ignored or just flat out dead 70-80% of the time, hurrah!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Bunker Rangers are one of the strongest classes in pvp right now.  I'm not an expert on them myself, but I know I lose to them quite often!  They're usually S/D and best I can tell something along the lines of 0/0/30/20/20.  If you are interested in more details I can dig deeper.

most often known as Drevik
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:45 PM

Bunker Rangers are one of the strongest classes in pvp right now.  I'm not an expert on them myself, but I know I lose to them quite often!  They're usually S/D and best I can tell something along the lines of 0/0/30/20/20.  If you are interested in more details I can dig deeper.

Do you mean PVP PVP, or WvW PVP?

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:28 PM

Do you mean PVP PVP, or WvW PVP?

Bunker spec classes shine a bit more in sPvP/tPvP because of the mechanics (capture a point and sit your ass there daring someone to take it from you), but they can also be quite effective in WvW.  I went through the whole process with an Engineer I just leveled to 80.  My inclination was to spec more offensively and try to play that way, but I kept getting destroyed.  As soon as I shifted to a defense first mind set I started doing very well in all 3 forms of pvp.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 18, 2013, 12:07:01 AM

Whatever wisdom you have available, feel free to lay it on me, because what I'm currently doing just ain't workin.

I can't even hit people with my freaking arrows half the time. They can twitch away, but I can't seem to lead my shots in return.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:57 AM

I play a P/P ranger in GW2 when I need lols. Even with the range nerf Shortbow is good for crippling and Longbow is viable with the (slight) buffs it got. Stay with the pack, rain arrows down to debuff run speed, nuke every time it's available. It's a newbie build but with a drake or devourer it can be fun, especially if you are in a base and the enemy builds within your traited longbow range.

Sadly, every other class feels more viable. No stupid pet mechanics (with gimped pets) and the most fun I have is to jump in on one of my guardians, strapping on a GS and Hammer and wading into a pack knowing that theere's a good chance I'll back out alive.

So there's my advice - save your ranger for PvE (they are actually fun in fractals once you realise that your pet IS going to die) and roll another class... any class.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 18, 2013, 02:17:39 AM

You can generalize that. Don't ever play a pet or DoT class because they almost always get screwed over. Doubly so in PvP where encounters tend to be short and sharp. Been that way in pretty much every MMO I've ever played.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:39 AM

DoTs are king in GW2 right now.  The current meta is all Condition Damage.  Fear bombing Condition Necros are the most powerful build/class right now and Rangers/Engineers can do much the same though not nearly as effectively as a Necro.  Pets still stink in zerg fights because of all the AoE, but are very strong in small scale fights.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:49:28 AM by EWSpider »

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:48 AM

You can generalize that. Don't ever play a pet or DoT class because they almost always get screwed over. Doubly so in PvP where encounters tend to be short and sharp. Been that way in pretty much every MMO I've ever played.

Pet classes are almost always overpowered for soloing content and single player stuff on the other hand.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #168 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27:50 PM

The thing I find sort of disorienting coming from SWTOR is how fast all the fights are in WvW. One zerg will crash into the other and it's over in what feels like seconds, it's really weird. That's why I've been sticking with the elementalist, I lay down fields and hope they're useful to SOMEONE and try not to die immediately, basically.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:08 PM

This isn't quite the Ranger build I was thinking of, but it's close and supposedly one of the most effective builds currently.  This thread talks about it in-depth:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/My-Spirit-Build

(and just as a side not I'm in no way saying Rangers are in a good place overall, just that they have some effective builds you can run in the meantime)

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 19, 2013, 04:15:25 AM

I tried that build out and I just don't see the appeal in WvW. All the spirits and shit, just got SPLAT once an actual fight starts.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:11 AM

I went a total noobler build on the ranger now, 30 power, 30 toughness, 10 Vitality. Using that signet trait that lets them work on me too, arrow piercing, some + dmg thing and like every single defensive trait I have access too. All my gear is Power/Tough/Vit now too. Using Longbow/Greatsword and 2 Lizard pets. The lizard pets are almost as survivable as bears, but they actually do shit too, blast finishers and junk.

I can hump the friendly zerg reasonably well now, but I really really wish I could get the longbow range talent too somehow. I also have this talent that when I get stunned I turn invisible for 5 seconds (30 sec cd), this has saved my ass numerous times.

I think eventually, I might be able to move some points around so I can get a little crit too, maybe even get the longbow reduction thing, dunno.

I'm also having an easier time of things simply because Jade Quarry dropped down from T1 to T2, and the T2 servers are T2 for a reason it seems. They are soooo skittish! It's almost adorable. The T1 match up from last week, all 3 groups are just hyper aggressive. Outnumbered 2:1? Fuck it! BALLS DEEP BABY  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . These guys, they see anything close to even numbers and just flee and flee and flee until they either find a base to hide in (which we take like half the time anyways), or we run them down in a corner.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:44 AM

I went a total noobler build on the ranger now, 30 power, 30 toughness, 10 Vitality. Using that signet trait that lets them work on me too, arrow piercing, some + dmg thing and like every single defensive trait I have access too. All my gear is Power/Tough/Vit now too. Using Longbow/Greatsword and 2 Lizard pets. The lizard pets are almost as survivable as bears, but they actually do shit too, blast finishers and junk.

I can hump the friendly zerg reasonably well now, but I really really wish I could get the longbow range talent too somehow. I also have this talent that when I get stunned I turn invisible for 5 seconds (30 sec cd), this has saved my ass numerous times.

I think eventually, I might be able to move some points around so I can get a little crit too, maybe even get the longbow reduction thing, dunno.

I'm also having an easier time of things simply because Jade Quarry dropped down from T1 to T2, and the T2 servers are T2 for a reason it seems. They are soooo skittish! It's almost adorable. The T1 match up from last week, all 3 groups are just hyper aggressive. Outnumbered 2:1? Fuck it! BALLS DEEP BABY  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . These guys, they see anything close to even numbers and just flee and flee and flee until they either find a base to hide in (which we take like half the time anyways), or we run them down in a corner.
As a TC resident, I like being in T2 thankyouverymuch. :p

T2 is low-pressure 'hop on, hop off' zerg-friendly wvw, basically. There is some 'super serious elite pvp guilds' doing small group stuff sometimes, maybe... but I don't bother with that stuff. T1 seems to be all super-fucking-serious-business all the time, from vnboards-style forum trash talk to spies to 100% coverage and all-nighters to people willing to wait x hours in queue just to get in. TC also has no queues for anything (except maybe EB on reset night), which is nice. We do have good commanders, and at least our militia is smart enough to know how to stack, when to engage and when to run (gotta get those loot bags), etc... which is good enough for tier2, considering that we also have a ton of people from RP guilds and/or upleveled people running around doing stupid stuff!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 22, 2013, 02:03:17 AM

I just go wherever the pin tells me to go, it's easy! There's no queue for any of the Border lands unless there's a mass rally to save a garrison or something.

I do need to install team speak just so I can hear which waypoint to go to next faster, sometimes the chat relay is behind a few ticks and I spend a few moments wondering where the pin went. Isn't REALLY necessary though. Follow the pin, stack on the pin, fight with the pin, do not fear death the stack will keep you alive. Don't drop siege with the pin and don't take supply from the forts unless the pin calls it out.

We have a wide variety of Cat Herders and Den Mothers, lots of patience and inclusiveness. I ask questions/directions and get answers without any grief. If I see badguys, I say where and how many and get praised.

Really the biggest problem I come across is when I hit a map and there isn't a pin up. Then it's just a random crap shoot with people useless scattered all over. Like dirty fucking albs! IEW!

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 22, 2013, 07:22:12 AM

Wait, JQ finally went to T2?

Fuck, I need to log in and finish my world explore on the Ele. My issue with it was always that T1 was so aggressive and hyper competitive that being out there getting POIs felt like actively hurting THE REALM.

If we're just in the shits and grins tier that WvWs for fun instead of HONOR.. woo!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Is this game dead or?  
Jump to: