Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 08:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: ATTN SPACE LARPER: CHECK YOURSELF 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ATTN SPACE LARPER: CHECK YOURSELF  (Read 152353 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: March 24, 2013, 01:05:54 PM

I'm wondering why people even try this kind of shit these days. It's like they don't realize that there are a lot of autistic people who'll happily hunt down any detail they can find on someone online.

Because people are idiots so it doesn't matter.  Even with all this shit coming out to light they have still raised $1k from 52 new backers in the last 24 hours.

Until people stop being idiots and do research, there will always be people trying to scam them out of their money (and succeeding).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #141 on: March 24, 2013, 01:24:03 PM

And Taylor Swift wasn't a true kid-from-nowhere story either. So? Stroking people's propensity towards self delusion is the foundation of an open market economy.

Taylor Swift also sells a product regardless of what I may think of it. The 9 year old's Kickstarter is closer to setting up a fake charity.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #142 on: March 24, 2013, 02:20:20 PM

Fuck it.  I'm going to KS my kid's summer camp tuition, with the premise that we'll make a website displaying images of of her arts and crafts.  That will be our product.  I'll ask for $300 for the week of camp, and hope for $20k.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: March 24, 2013, 04:19:50 PM

Lol do it! I'll kick in $10 as my first ever KS support smiley

Taylor Swift also sells a product regardless of what I may think of it. The 9 year old's Kickstarter is closer to setting up a fake charity.
Well technically she's giving you a copy of the game she's making in RPG Maker which she'll be expert at after RPG Stem.

The reason I equate this to TS is because of the man behind the curtain aspect that becomes apparent to anyone willing to dig a bit deeper than what's specifically said. It's just a hell of a lot easier to shread someone who puts themselves out on KS (or on a forum  awesome, for real) than a performer surrounded by retainers and whatnot.

In this case, I blame the mom and hope she learns. Maybe she went into this with good intentions. Maybe she thought KS could be treated like a digital lemonade stand and perhaps her daughter is one of those extremely motivated self-starter types who end up with an MBA at 20 and just needs a little help with the web stuff. I obviously don't know. But I'm surrounded by people who think like this all day long because they really don't get how online people can turn so quickly on them at the first slight. And it annoys me when they miss the obvious ways to keep the walls up around their kids.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:21:35 PM by Darniaq »
schild
Administrator

Reply #144 on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:09 PM

I should have totally kickstarted the f13 donation drive. Might do that this year. Every stretch goal will be higher end hookers and blow. Because the server is already paid for this year.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:51 PM

lol I was going to suggest that a few posts back but got distracted. It'd be more legit than probably 75% what's on there, and you could have real fun with the stretch goal titles  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: March 24, 2013, 05:55:48 PM

lol I was going to suggest that a few posts back but got distracted. It'd be more legit than probably 75% what's on there, and you could have real fun with the stretch goal titles  awesome, for real
Yuuuuup.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #147 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:56 AM

I should have totally kickstarted the f13 donation drive. Might do that this year. Every stretch goal will be higher end hookers and blow. Because the server is already paid for this year.

But will you ship them overseas? Thankyouverymuch.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #148 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:12 AM

Sid Meier is still relevant these days. But how much is he actually designing, or directing, or producing? I don't know.

Meanwhile (actually, old news) the dinosaur named David Crane blames lack of vision.

Crane blames the lack of enthusiasm for his campaign on what he sees as a lack of vision among his critics, saying that while there are a lot of different views as to what the strengths of the platform are, it seems limiting when it comes to higher budget productions.

"It's just amazing how there is no vision of what Kickstarter is supposed to be," he says. "People won't let go of what they think it is."

Oh well,

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:31:26 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #149 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:14 AM

That quote has to be out of context in some way. It's just so incredibly douchey I can't fully fathom it, even after reading the article.  Other people are wrong because they don't think what I think.. wha?

The most I got out of that article was that Jack Black was in the original Pitfall commercial.  Woah.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: March 25, 2013, 04:57:49 AM

But then again, I'm not even trying to work in the industry because it underpays and the majority of managers are man-children who would fail in a non-gaming industry.

Note: Applies to pretty much any industry that is seen as "creative" in any way. Even if it's not.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #151 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:16 AM

I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to make a fucking game these days.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #152 on: March 25, 2013, 09:45:21 AM

Only in the smaller dev arena.  We all discussed 3-4 years ago when gaming started tooting its own horn about competing with Movies in terms of revenues how that was going to fuck things up.  Too many hands in the pot, too much at risk on the funding side for them to become anything but the same bullshit churn Hollywood movies have become.

It would be 10x worse if we didn't have internet distribution and everyone was still forced to go to a big publisher or die.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:36 AM

/agree

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: March 25, 2013, 02:48:26 PM

Filed complaints against the summer camp project as a charity and avatar stuff as not a project.  I have been guilty of backing a couple of gaming projects in the past.  Future backing on my part is going to suffer more scrutiny.  Fund my summer vacation sites already exist.  Kickstarter money will not fully fund the Garriott deal etc..

Of course, if the Kickstarter folks are not interested in maintaining a different type of environment they will continue blindly taking the money!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:59:16 PM by Pezzle »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:24 PM

Meanwhile someone is spamming social media to get more money....

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1aztsm/i_am_richard_lord_british_garriott_creator_of_the/

schild
Administrator

Reply #156 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:10 PM

Was about to link that and say I'm sad no one posted my love letter to Lord Spacenerd in that ridiculous circlejerk.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:44 AM

I don't know about others, but I know I tend to not link shit which is made of pure awesome on F13, like this rant, due to the number of star fuckers and LBrit's brown-eye lickers it would bring. That and I didn't know LBrit was hitting reddit, but I think I should have seen that one coming. It's a giant soapbox where he can beg inspire others to donate while also giving him ideas he will use and then can claim to still be creative...for free.

Though, looking at his comments, he does appeal to me and my hatred in one answer. When asked what happened to Ultima 8 after the questioner liked parts 1 & 2 of Ultima 7, the answer was "RG vs EA." True or not, damn it I like that answer and feel bad about liking it due to the source. Luckily that was quickly forgotten as soon as I saw the next questeion and answer: What inspirations were used to make <new piece of shit whatever the fucking name is>? The answer contained a couple titles (mostly his), but ended with this: "all things Blizzard." swamp poop
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 26, 2013, 09:00:28 PM

C'mon guys, only 50k till we can get weather.

Also, another great quote:  "Fortunately someone in QA could see me and resurrected me."  Leave it to fucking QA, always saving the day.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:59 PM

http://kotaku.com/internet-rallies-against-kickstarter-for-nine-year-old-459542190

Interestingly,

The trick is figuring out what to do with the money. Susan no longer wants to use it to pay for tuition for the RPG camp. She'll do that herself. Now she's looking for ideas on how to turn the raised funds into something positive, without violating Kickstarter's terms of service -- no charity, no "fund-my-life". She's not sure how to do it, but she's open to suggestions. She's reached out to Reddit. She's reached out to 4chan.

So if she's not going to use the money for tuition at all, then close the KS?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #160 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:30 AM

She reached out to 4chan? THE FUCK?  ACK!

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:26 AM

These are strange days indeed. Normally it's 4chan reaching out to 9yr olds
my what do we have here?

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #162 on: March 27, 2013, 10:46:38 AM

So if she's not going to use the money for tuition at all, then close the KS?
That'd be the decent/correct thing to do. Don't be silly.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:15 AM

I have come to despise the use of "reaching out" and its various forms.  It is a bland and nearly meaningless phrase that should die off. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #164 on: March 28, 2013, 08:30:31 AM

I always envision someone "reaching out" with their penis.  This probably isn't normal.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #165 on: March 28, 2013, 09:01:33 AM

It is if 4chan is involved.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: March 28, 2013, 12:57:08 PM

It only keeps getting better: Earlier Wilson Family Crowd-funder Sheds Yet More Kickstarter Doubt Popcorn  Tinfoil Hat

edit:added a smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:37:28 PM by satael »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 28, 2013, 07:32:16 PM

Man, read that thread carefully. There is some "there were three guys on the grassy knoll using laser beams on Kennedy" reasoning going on there. Not saying that particular Kickstarter doesn't stink, but let's not get stupid.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #168 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:01 PM

Man, read that thread carefully. There is some "there were three guys on the grassy knoll using laser beams on Kennedy" reasoning going on there. Not saying that particular Kickstarter doesn't stink, but let's not get stupid.

Yeah, I think this whole thing hit its peak when people found her indiegogo project that claimed to be developing a case for iPhones with a storage compartment. Turns out, the case pictured was an a product already on the market that she was essentially trying to buy and then resell at a markup under the guise of it being a product she created.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #169 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:54 PM

Most ridiculous video game Kickstarter I've seen today: APB: Vendetta.

Or "let's create an Action / Dirty mod for APB - which has been super successful btw, which is why we're franchising this title - and you can pay us $300k for the privilege of letting us do it".

Ohhhhh, I see.

schild
Administrator

Reply #170 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

APB was terrible and $300k won't net them fuckall.

The amount most Kickstarters are asking for to make games is just absurd. It's all WAY too low.

Kickstarter needs to just remove this fucking category. Or curate the ever loving shit out of who they accept.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #171 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:25 AM

Problem with culling the weak is that their checks can be cashed as well as yours or mine.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #172 on: April 02, 2013, 02:42:01 PM

Problem with culling the weak is that their checks can be cashed as well as yours or mine.

There will be an inevitable class action against Kickstarter. Then shit gets really out of hand.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: April 03, 2013, 05:49:45 AM

Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 will be totally worth the price of fools being parted with their money by Kickstarter scams.

I let you on on a secret - if somebody is stupid enough to get scammed out of his money, somebody will find a way. No need plugging this particular venue, there will just be others.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #174 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:33 AM

This is very true, and it's why I'm not against KS.  Smart people were taking advantage of stupid people from about the time when possessions were invented.  If you want this to stop, you'll need to eliminate all smart people or all stupid people.

I'm voting for eliminating the stupid, if anyone is planning a massacre and needs direction.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: ATTN SPACE LARPER: CHECK YOURSELF  
Jump to: